• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Theetu on visiting a deceased person's house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I would be really grateful if someone could clear my doubt on Theetu.

Normally,on a person's death, Theetu is said to be there for 10 days and any person going for Dhukam has to come back and have a head bath.Is it okay for someone to go for dukham to a deceased person's house and directly visit anybody else's house without taking a shower? If not, what could be the bad effect and what is the pariharam for the person whose house has been visited with theetu.

Thanks

Hi All,

I would be really grateful if someone could clear my doubt on Theetu.

Normally,on a person's death, Theetu is said to be there for 10 days and any person going for Dhukam has to come back and have a head bath.Is it okay for someone to go for dukham to a deceased person's house and directly visit anybody else's house without taking a shower? If not, what could be the bad effect and what is the pariharam for the person whose house has been visited with theetu.

Thanks
Ms. Mala I understand your question, and this topic has been discussed before.
It depends on how much guilt you are your host feels towards this subject. It also varies from geographic region to another. I understand we need to respect the sentiment of the host, but sometimes what they do not know should not bother them.
Our customs are our practice and changes according to who we consult. If you are rich aunt coming to visit with lot of gift you do not need any pariharm, but if you are the poor cousin then you are on your own.
Sorry to be so cynical.

Well, Thanks for your response Mr. Prasad! I personally don't think that being Rich/Poor may change the Rules! Yes, definitely it is ones own beliefs and disbeliefs that will lead them to follow the rules or not follow them. I wanted to know our tradition, whether it is okay or not because recently a person who is well versed in vedam and who keeps speaking about shastram and sampradayam visited our house directly after going for dukham to a deceased person's home.so i just wanted to reaffirm the shastram through this thread!

Also, could you kindly provide me a link to the thread where this was discussed earlier?

Thanks

I also have a doubt.
What about a doctor who does post mortems?
Does Asauchyam (Teethu) of the the dead person affect the doctor?

When I was in the government service I used to post mortems even when I was pregnant and I never experienced any unpleasant event and went about life as normal.

So does Theetu really affect anyone or is it just all in our mind?

Last edited:
Well, Thanks for your response Mr. Prasad! I personally don't think that being Rich/Poor may change the Rules! Yes, definitely it is ones own beliefs and disbeliefs that will lead them to follow the rules or not follow them. I wanted to know our tradition, whether it is okay or not because recently a person who is well versed in vedam and who keeps speaking about shastram and sampradayam visited our house directly after going for dukham to a deceased person's home.so i just wanted to reaffirm the shastram through this thread!

Also, could you kindly provide me a link to the thread where this was discussed earlier?

Thanks

Dear Mala,

Dont you think the world is like a cemetery itself? Death occurs on daily basis.
May be the well read person who came to your home viewed Death as the same as Birth and didnt think too much about it cos he must have had a pure mind.

Nothing can affect us if we dont allow ourselves to be affected.Fear attacks our mind the most and the side effects of fear is what really affects us.

I will try to look up the link for you..seen it long back in Forum.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back