• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The palaghat brahmin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome Professor...

Your daily participation, and active sharing of thoughts by penning here , is most welcome..

Kodangudi is near Tiruvarur probably in the Tiruvarur-Tiruthuraipoondi route. I think it is near a Village called Vadakarai.

Tiruvarur is connected by broadgauge link from Trichy & Thanjavur. Due to gauge conversion, you cannot reach by train from Chennai. Trichy/Thanjavur is connected by Direct train from Chennai. Thanjavur to Tiruvaur is connected by local train (Distance 55 KM). Kodangudi may be around 10 KM from Tiruvarur in the Tiruvarur Tiruthuraipoondi route.

Last edited:
kodangudi

with google search with different spelling you have lot of interesting roots
to your kodangudi

kodangudi near

1.Nagapatinam
2.udayarpalayam Perambalur
Which is your kodangudi?

There is one Dr in USA

Kodangudi Ramanathan, MD

generic_photo.gif

U T Medical Group Inc
920 Madison Ave
Memphis, TN

Phone: (901) 448-5759
Fax: (901) 448-8084
Kodangudi Ramanathan practices as a Cardiologist

Last edited:
folks,

the last time i checked, palghat is in the narrow pass in western ghats between kerala and tamil nadu.

all youse guys are talking about thanjavur.

is there a disconnect between mohan & the rest of the forum?

je ne comprende :(

ps: mohan also appears to be one of the one hit wonders here ... not sure of his bona fide :noidea:

merci!

ps.. i do not like or like to read posts with icons.. but here i am stumped

Most of the Tamil speaking brahmins in Kerala have roots in Tamilnadu only. From my native village near Tiruvarur, people have migrated to Payyanur (near Cannanore) in Kerala. Similarly from one more village near Sirkazhi people have migrated to Trichur, Kerala. All these people come to the native villages in search of `Kula Deivam' now and when we discuss in detail, we are able to locate their forefathers.

Let us try to help this gentleman also in locating his roots.

Most of the Tamil speaking brahmins in Kerala have roots in Tamilnadu only. From my native village near Tiruvarur, people have migrated to Payyanur (near Cannanore) in Kerala. Similarly from one more village near Sirkazhi people have migrated to Trichur, Kerala. All these people come to the native villages in search of `Kula Deivam' now and when we discuss in detail, we are able to locate their forefathers.

Let us try to help this gentleman also in locating his roots.
It is too much of a generalisation,I wish to point out there is a clear distinction in customs and practices of the brahmins in Kerala
The Namboodiris are the first set of Brahmins,According to tradition they came down south with Parasurama
The second group who were part of the earliest to settle down in Tamilnadu came to Tirunelveli area from Kashmir.Many of them migrated to the erstwhile states of Cochin and Travancore and a few to Malabar (wich was part of the larrger Madras Presidency)They are referred to as Pandikarans
During the period of the Nabobs of the Deccan some groups from the Tanjavur area mugrated.They are mostly in Palakkad area
There are another group which migrated from around Madurai

The three groups are commonly referred to us Pattars

Some of my Malayali friends told that there are no brahmins who originated from Kerala. The Namboodiris or Nambiars are the eldest males from Nair/Menon communities, devoted to temple duties and they are not brahmins by birth.

All the brahmins - only Iyers - are all from migrants from Thanjavur area, who came to Kerala to serve the Travancore and Cochin rulers.

Some of my Malayali friends told that there are no brahmins who originated from Kerala. The Namboodiris or Nambiars are the eldest males from Nair/Menon communities, devoted to temple duties and they are not brahmins by birth.

All the brahmins - only Iyers - are all from migrants from Thanjavur area, who came to Kerala to serve the Travancore and Cochin rulers.
You have been wrongly informed.I have roots in the old Malabar Dt (now Trissur Dt) The namboodris are different from Nambiars.Nairs are Kshatriyas.In most of the Kerala Temples which follow the Parasurama AAgama the priests or tantris are Namboothris and they are more well versed from the Vedas
Regarding the second part 300-400 years back our family was based somewhere near Brammadesam in Tirunelvlei and they migrated to Malabar,For the info of members my first initial stands for pandikaran.
The brahmins who migrated from Thanjavur was main;y to Palakkad region
There are srivaishnavites also

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back