• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

the origin of the word hindu

Status
Not open for further replies.
actually word hindu is now referring to the people of sanathana dharma.
but it was first used by muslims for refering peoples next to the river sindu
icon4.gif

VV, I read your blog.. Interesting one.. It really has a point..

The Origin of the word Hindu.

This is an interesting subject for discussion. According to scholars the word Hindu does not find a place in our ancient literature. Neither I have noticed use of the word Hindu or Hinduism in our Homas and rituals.

"The word "Hindu" does not occur at all in our ancient literature. The first reference to it in an Indian book is , I am told, in a Tantrik work of the eighth century A.C., where 'Hindu' means a people and not the followers of a particular religion. But it is clear that the word is a very old one, as it occurs in the Avesta and in old Persian. It was used then and for a thousand years or more later by the peoples of western and central Asia for India, or rather for the people living on the other side of the Indus river. The word is clearly derived Sindhu, the old as well as the present, Indian name for the Indus. From this Sindhu came the words Hindu and Hindustan, as well as Indus and India." - ( Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru in his Discovery of India Pp 74)

Similarly the word Hinduism also does not refer to any particular Religion. I do not know whether the word Sanatana Dharma refers to a religion. I give below a quote from another Scholer in the subject.

"Hinduism is more a way of life than a form of thought. While it gives
absolute liberty in the world of thought, it enjoins a strict code of
practice. The theist and atheist, the skeptic and the agnostic may allbe Hindus.... Hinduism insists on a moral life and draws into
fellowship all who feel themselves bound to the claims which the morallaw or dharma makes upon them."
-(Dr. S. Radhakrishnan, The Hindu View Of Life, 1926 )

I wish to hear more from our learned members on this subject.

Regards,
Brahmanyan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back