• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The mail that I received

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ramacchandran

"Srinivasan Sashti" <[email protected]>
Add sender to Contacts

To:
undisclosed-recipients

Apologies for having to reach out to you like this, I made a quick trip to London, UK and my bag got stolen from me with credit cards in it, my right arm got broke during this incident but am getting better now, I just have to pay for a ticket and settle Hotel bills. Unfortunately for me, I can't have access to funds without my credit card, I've made contact with my bank but they need more time to come up with a new one. I was thinking of asking you to lend me a quick fund of 1,500British Pounds I really need to pay my hotel bill and get on the next available flight,I'll Refund the money back to you as soon as i return, right now i can only receive fund via western union money transfer, below is my details for the transfer.

Here are the details:

Receiver's name: Srinivasan Sashti
Receiver's address : Stratton Street,London W1J 8LT, United Kingdom.

kindly make the transfer as soon as you receive this email and once you have it sent, send me the scanned western union transfer receipt, Also please do let me know how you want me to pay you back and I can make the arrangements to get it to you as soon as I get back home.
You can reach me via email or Mayfair hotel's desk phone the number is +447024062057
Thanks so much and sorry to bother you.
Regards

....... I was thinking of asking you to lend me a quick fund of 1,500British Pounds I really need to pay my hotel bill and get on the next available flight,I'll Refund the money back to you as soon as i return, ......
Ramacchandran, any crowded place we see, chances are, there are pick-pockets lurking, carefully planning and executing the act, the victim blissfully unaware, but with the real risk of getting caught. There is something perversely impressive about their talent and artistry that even the victim may sometimes admire.

On the contrary, the perpetrators of e-mail scams like this one, hide behind internet anonymity and rely on the utter stupidity of their victims to make a score. Anybody who falls for these obvious scams must be happy they got off easy with just 1,500 pounds.

Cheers!

Ramacchandran, any crowded place we see, chances are, there are pick-pockets lurking, carefully planning and executing the act, the victim blissfully unaware, but with the real risk of getting caught. There is something perversely impressive about their talent and artistry that even the victim may sometimes admire.

On the contrary, the perpetrators of e-mail scams like this one, hide behind internet anonymity and rely on the utter stupidity of their victims to make a score. Anybody who falls for these obvious scams must be happy they got off easy with just 1,500 pounds.

Cheers!

Shri Nara Sir,

I don't know if western union money transfer will accept money for a person with just street name (Stratton Street,London W1J 8LT, United Kingdom)-no full address, no id number. or is that company also into this cheating? Do you know anything?

To All Members,
This gentleman and his friend based in London take leading part in arranging marriages of south Indian Brahmins located in USA,Canada,England,Australia etc and heis a well known figure.
a few months back, I saw a fake mail purported to have been written by an esteemed member of this forum Mrs.Visalakshi Ramani in iyer123.com.Some member brought this to the notice of all members and wanted the concerned member to disown the mail.Immediately I sent a Mail to Mrs.VRS for taking necessary action.
I get lot of such mails from African countries promising to give 10% commission if we help to transfer huge wealth lying unclaimed in some Bank A/C to be passed on to our Bank account.
In one case I continued the correspondence reiterating that I am not interested in any commission but will assist in locating a charitable organisation where the funds can be donated.Ultimately I got a reply that they have found a person to hold the amount temporarily for two years in some other country and informed that they have left instruction to their Bankers to tranfer $20,000 to our account.and we have to pursue with the bankers.The bank authorities started sending number of mails to give bank A/c particulars etc.We sent a mail that we are not interested with the remittance and they may do whatever they want.Thereafter there were no mails.After a period of two months,mails sent to their Email Id returned undelivered.

To All Members,
This gentleman and his friend based in London take leading part in arranging marriages of south Indian Brahmins located in USA,Canada,England,Australia etc and heis a well known figure.
a few months back, I saw a fake mail purported to have been written by an esteemed member of this forum Mrs.Visalakshi Ramani in iyer123.com.Some member brought this to the notice of all members and wanted the concerned member to disown the mail.Immediately I sent a Mail to Mrs.VRS for taking necessary action.
I get lot of such mails from African countries promising to give 10% commission if we help to transfer huge wealth lying unclaimed in some Bank A/C to be passed on to our Bank account.
In one case I continued the correspondence reiterating that I am not interested in any commission but will assist in locating a charitable organisation where the funds can be donated.Ultimately I got a reply that they have found a person to hold the amount temporarily for two years in some other country and informed that they have left instruction to their Bankers to tranfer $20,000 to our account.and we have to pursue with the bankers.The bank authorities started sending number of mails to give bank A/c particulars etc.We sent a mail that we are not interested with the remittance and they may do whatever they want.Thereafter there were no mails.After a period of two months,mails sent to their Email Id returned undelivered.

e-mail scams like this has been going on for long time. the commission-type scams are mostly by nigerians. they are experts in hacking. last year or so, kerala police caught one group but some of them were in London and other foreign places who could not be caught, it looks. so, many of the e-mails may be coming from India itself!

another type is lottery, saying you have got so much big amount in $ or Pounds, send some money for completing formalities, etc. some time back Tamil magazine gave account of one woman who was duped by nigerian type, she spent lot of money, went to nigeria and then she was kidnapped and the rogues asked for huge sum. luckily due to some high persons' influence she was freed and came back to chennai, her home. otherwise she must have been killed and no more heard.

so, don't get fooled by anything in e-mail. but my doubt is will western union be involved in this? any one knowing about it?

The follow up of the mail received this reply

Dear Friends,

As all of you know, my email account under <[email protected]> was broken into by a scamer and con artist who sent messages to every one in my email account as if I was in "distress" stuck in a London Hotel from a robbery, and demanding that you bail me out financially! Since this happened on Monday 10th January, 2011, morning, (U.S. time), there have been outpouring telephone calls, email messages, inquiring into our personal safety and offering financial assistance to help ~ including a personal call from an Honorable Indian Ambassador in Europe; we are indeed touched by your love and affection towards me and my family, your concerns re: our welfare and safety!

We wish to advise every one through our Forum that that we are safe and well, back in our home in Garland, Texas late last week ~ my wife Sugantha and I never went to London, as was alleged, but we had a pleasant and enjoyable holiday in Sacramento, California, as previously planned for 3-1/2 weeks, with our son and daughter-in-law, joined by our daughter, and two of our adorable grand daughters, Sowmya and Suja. We had a great time and fun together during the holidays!

We take this opportunity to sincerely thank each and every one of you through our Forum for your concerns and for contacting us both via telephone and emails.
Your love, affection and concern towards me and my family was indeed heart warming and touching!

On or about the 22 December, 2010, Gmail Administration warned me that my mail was being targeted for "hacking" by some one in Nairobi or some such distant location ~ I quickly opened a new gmail account <[email protected]> and moved most of the email addresses and contact info and started e-broadcasting to all of the parents from that address beginning with the New Year eve! I have been continuously guarding and protecting my email account by changing the password almost on a "daily basis" but the "con artist" seems to have finally outsmarted me and prevailed! A word of advice to all of you ~ "Never send any money or remittances to any one appearing to be in distress when you receive such an email from con artists, posing as one of your friends ~ always ignore it! because, "world travelers, as we all are these days", we all know how to contact some one in the event of an emergency and to extricate ourselves from such personal problems, God forbid, if one of us were to land into! This letter seems to be the "standard operating practice", when a scamer takes charge of your email account.

I am happy to report that we will begin our regular e-broadcasting with the onset of Thai maadam and coinciding with the Pongal celebrations on our Matrimonial Initiative!

In the mean time, we take this opportunity to wish you all a very Happy Pongal festivities celebration. Seekirame' VivaaHapPraapthi Rastu!

Srinivasan Sashti
3614 Columbia Blvd
Garland, Texas 75043-2246
tel: 1-972 840- 3495
email: [email protected]

what a beautiful end of this mail. thank God, Sri Srinivasan Sashti is saved. such mails keep moving on. I do receive such mails often. I dont open any mail if I do not know he sender - srinivasan

Best wishes to Mr. Srinivasan Sashti and thanks for his best wishes. The African e-mails will promise us fabulous unearned riches as somebody died without a heritage and out of friendshp, we are chosen to get a bonanza. The scam using Indian names is appealing to us to help someone stranded in distress.Both may be ignored, if from unknown sources. If known, one can always contact by direct phone talk!

Such emails and even SMS messages thro' mobile have become very common these days. It is wise to disregard them totally, forget them and move on.

6 months back some one hijacked my Id and sent mails to my relations and friends asking 1600 $ for return fairs. The best joke I was with my brother in law and he received the mail in front of me. s.r.k.

I too have something to tell you in this regard.

I got an authentic looking mail from the yahoo itself that they

suspected that my a/c was spam. To prove that it was not a spam

account I was asked to give all my mail account details. Subsequently

someone hacked into my e mail a/c and sent similar distress

messages and plea for help to the tune of 1500 pounds to London-

to every name in my contact list.
:lie:

I had to do a lot of explaining and face unnecessary embarrassment

when i was questioned by my family, friends and even casual e mail

contacts. Since the amount and the place remain

constant - it must be a well planned and thriving trick to fleece the
unsuspecting loyal fiends of the person.
:preggers:

Last edited:
This is the mail i had received. Can anyone pick up from here and find out how

and from where these mails originate. We do know why they originate of

course! The distress plea was sent to my other accounts also demanding help

FROM me FOR me!

I was accessing my e mail a/c from different cities and states and countries

between March and September 2010. That is why I believed this mail in the

first place!

-- On Sat, 18/9/10, Yahoo! Mail Group Update© <[email protected]> wrote:

Subject: Manually Confirmation-Your Yahoo! Mail Account *Verify Now*
To:
Date: Saturday, 18 September, 2010, 2:31 PM

Yahoo! Mail has discovered a series of illegal attempts to your Yahoo! Mail account from different locations IP and close your account as it has been marked as a spam account. You are thus required immediately to secure your online access by filling out the form manually by clicking below on the reply button on your page, Please fill your following information below to help us increase your Account Security.

CONFIRM YOUR IDENTITY. VERIFY YOUR {FREE YAHOO! MAIL ACCOUNT} NOW !!!

*ACCOUNT INFO*

*Username/Yahoo! ID: ...........................

*Password: ...........................................

*Date Of Birth:.......................................

*Country Of Residence: ..........................

img_thanks_2.png

After following this instructions in this sheet, your Yahoo! account will not be interrupted and will continue as normal. Thank you for your usual co-operation.

Yahoo! Customer Care Case number: 00110022
Property: Account Security

img_clipboard_1.jpg

img_ybangsm_1.gif
Copyright © 2010 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved

The sort of hacking of email of Srinivasan Shasti happened similarly to one of the directors on the sub-committee of the board of a bank. The email said that the director was stranded and needed urgent fin. help. Knowing it could be a scam, the director was contacted immediately over phone, just to ensure that it was not real. The director confirmed that his email id had been hacked or compromised and he had to advise many of his contacts about his well-being.

About the lottery scam, even I was fooled. I got a mail that I had got so much of dollars of prize money and would be delivered by an agent from Britain at Mumbai. I gullibly filled in the form giving all details of phone and house address and replied to the email. Luckily I didn't go any further and I was wise enough to clarify with my cousins at US, who confirmed it was a scam. It was the lure of easy money that did me in.

After that incident, I have never entertained any such emails. I laugh at my gullibility now when I think of how silly I have been. I always learn from such serious mistakes.

Let others be warned not to get carried away by emails.

I had/have plans to store all personal info. in my email id. Now I feel even email ids are not safe.

It is wise not to store any important info on p.C.

The old method of keeping a diary is safer.

People can access the info in the diary, only if they break into your house.

But P.C. hacking can be done from any corner the world.
:couch2:

I agree with Mr. Pannvalan. this has become an everyday headache thro mail.phone,sms etc. Its safe to ignore
and not to reply and get into a conversation

The sort of hacking of email of Srinivasan Shasti happened similarly to one of the directors on the sub-committee of the board of a bank. The email said that the director was stranded and needed urgent fin. help. Knowing it could be a scam, the director was contacted immediately over phone, just to ensure that it was not real. The director confirmed that his email id had been hacked or compromised and he had to advise many of his contacts about his well-being.

About the lottery scam, even I was fooled. I got a mail that I had got so much of dollars of prize money and would be delivered by an agent from Britain at Mumbai. I gullibly filled in the form giving all details of phone and house address and replied to the email. Luckily I didn't go any further and I was wise enough to clarify with my cousins at US, who confirmed it was a scam. It was the lure of easy money that did me in.

After that incident, I have never entertained any such emails. I laugh at my gullibility now when I think of how silly I have been. I always learn from such serious mistakes.

Let others be warned not to get carried away by emails.

I had/have plans to store all personal info. in my email id. Now I feel even email ids are not safe.

with my little knowledge of computer and expert advise from some youngsters who are experts in IT, I have come to know that we may store any valuable info in computer in encrypted form using winzip. zip whatever files you want and give a 256-bit encryption using alphabets, numeral and symbols/dash/etc. My advisers tell me even CIA and its experts with super computers will have to wait for years to break the code and decipher what is inside the zipped file.

But always take a CD/DVD copy because hard disk can crash anytime. and if the info is extremely important, and cannot be lost in any case, take fresh CD/DVD every 4 or 5 years, they say, because CD/DVD has normally reliability for that long only and then the data may get corrupted.

Wish our learned members to give their views.

In the email message to Mrs Visalakshmi Ramani, the sender's name/id is mentioned as [email protected] whichitself reveals that it came from an ordinary member of yahoo website like you and me.

Moreover, in such messages usually the sender commits some grammatical errors unknowingly. In this msg too, he says 'manually confirmation' instead of 'manual confirmation'.

These are all hints and act as a bugle of caution that they are spurious messages and not genuine.

Many senders use very famous MNCs or Banks or Websites or even Governments' domain names. Beware!

dear Mr. Panvalan,

I learnt the lesson the hard way. It looked authentic to me then!
with all these

After following this instructions in this sheet, your Yahoo! account will not be interrupted and will continue as normal. Thank you for your usual co-operation.

Yahoo! Customer Care Case number: 00110022
Property: Account Security

img_clipboard_1.jpg

img_ybangsm_1.gif
Copyright © 2010 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved

As for English grammar, the less said the better!
Well! Life is like that!
with warm regards,
V.R.

Once such a mail was sent by a fraudster through my email account to all my contact addresses quoting my me as the one in deep trouble in a foreign land and asking them to help me with financial assistance.When I started getting calls from my people,I was surprised to know that my email account has been hacked by some one ( I don't know how it happened ) and using all the contact email addresses available in my account,the unscrupulous fellow has sent such a mail to all.It is always better to change the password of email account periodically to thwart such frauds.

hi V R madam,
i got the same email in my yahoo....i deleted all unneccessary spam messages....still more than 2000 messages in my in box.....

i never open...just delete them.....still in my hotmail... the same details... i never reply....i just ignore them...no mail box

are safe anymore.....just keep vigil......there are alot of email adress hackers are there....i heard facebook has the same

problem,...be vigilant.....many spam hackers are more than a thief.....

regards
tbs

dear Mr. tbs,

Thanks for your mail.

The fellow who hacked into my mail box, would have blamed himself for wasting time on me! :frusty:

Nothing but the posts typed for the various threads in the tambram.com are stored there!

They are in the sent mail of one a/c and the in box of the other, just to make sure that they do not get delete by mistake and force me to retype the entire lot! (Whew!) :typing:

We don't use credit cards and all the bank transaction are on the old fashioned (and reliable) pass books.

Thanks to the few who still adhere to the old systems.

I too delete the spam without even peeping inside it.

My husband however opens the spam folder in search of any personal bulk mail sent there by mistake!
:spy:

with warm regards,
V.R.

dear Mr. S.S,

You are tight. But the trouble with us senior citizens is that already we are getting confused with the existing pass words.
:decision:

Frequent changes can be made only if we maintain a record of the latest pass word- every time we set it differently!
:bump2:

It is far more easier to keep the important info stored once for all in the old

fashioned method of using a pen and a diary!
:thumb:

with warm regards,
V.R.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back