• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The king of ghazal-Jagjit Singh-no more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
His deep, baritone, calm, golden, and clear voice had a tinge of restlessness of a vagabond gypsy and the calmness of a philosophic Lama. Ghazal maestro Jagjit Singh, 70, passed away at Lilawati Hospital, Mumbai due to brain haemorrhage on Monday, October 10, 2011. He brought ghazal to millions of middle class drawing rooms beyond the gentle soirees of music aficionados. The singer –composer contemporized the genre boldly using western instruments-the 12 string guitar and the bass guitar. He made ghazal refined, trendier and market friendly. In 1976 when he cut his first album of 10 ghazals sung along with his wife Chitra Singh, HMV, the Company which launched Jagjit Singh took a calculated risk. After that there was no turning back for Singh. The couple became a roaring success.

His Sarakti jaye hai……,Meri zindagi kisi aur ki, Badi haseen rath thi,Tum ko dekha to yeh khayaal aaya,Jhuki Jhuki si nazar and that immortal mujhe pyar na karo mein nashe mein hoon are all gems which I can never forget. I don’t get tired listening to them any number of times.

Jagat Singh had personal tragedies like the death of his son in a road accident and the death of his step daughter. But he lived through them stoically bearing them and keeping the sadness to himself. His wife Chitra stopped singing after their son died.

As the silence and calmness of the night is engulfing me, as the rain batters the world outside relentlessly(it is rainy season in Chennai now), as the solitary sodium lamp on the street eats non-stop the darkness outside, I keep listening to his mujhe ithna pyar na karo…..and I travel in a different world. Those of you who have enjoyed his ghazals will know what I am telling.

Cheers.

Source for info:Times of India

Last edited:
Loved all his Dhun songs..Without hearing it in morning no day starts for my parents..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back