• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Hindu Newspaper - backroom shenanigans

Status
Not open for further replies.

praveen

Life is a dream
Staff member
A Family Feud at the Venerable Hindu (Newspaper)

As published in Wall Street Journal

The Chennai-based Hindu newspaper, long respected for being one of India’s most serious daily reads, has in recent days provided a generous amount of tabloidesque fodder to its competitors as a spat between two brothers for control became very public.

The tussle has been simmering in the open for over a year, first making its way into papers in March 2010, two months before N. Ravi, an editor at the paper, was, according to his account, due to take over the post of editor-in-chief.

But his older brother, N. Ram, who continues to occupy the post, didn’t step down.

Last week, Mr. Ravi wrote a letter to The Hindu’s newsroom, clearly fed up after the board of directors moved on April 18 to appoint someone from outside the family to succeed Mr. Ram. A copy of the letter was also posted on media watchdog site The Hoot.

“In a shocking display of bad faith that has left me deeply anguished, N. Ram and some of the directors at the meeting of the Board on April 18, 2011 have sought to remove me and appoint as editor Siddharth Varadarajan who joined The Hindu in 2004,” wrote Mr. Ravi in a letter April 20, a copy of which he provided to India Real Time.

He told the newsroom the paper’s reporting had suffered under the stewardship of his brother, who became editor-in-chief in 2003, and knocked its editorial and advertising policies as well.

“The Hindu as an institution had in the past valued its editorial integrity over all else. In the recent period, editorial integrity has been severely compromised and news coverage linked directly to advertising in a way that is little different from paid news,” wrote Mr. Ravi. “A meaningless distinction has been sought to be made between walls and lines, and the walls between editorial and advertising are sought to be replaced by ‘lines’ between them.”

He also said the paper had on May 22 of last year published a long interview with former telecom minister A. Raja defending his telecom licensing policy in exchange for advertising the same day from the telecom ministry.

News reports, including in The Hindu, quoted Mr. Ram dismissing the accusation concerning the telecom ministry and saying that the ministry ad in question appeared in several papers the same day.

Mr. Raja stepped down from his post in November and was charged this month in the alleged rigging of the 2008 licensing process. He is contesting the charges.

Mr. Ram has said that seeking an outsider to replace him is an attempt to make the newsroom more professional. Mr. Ram did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

According to its Web site, the Hindu was started in 1878 by two school teachers and four law students who were angry about the way India’s British-run newspapers had covered the appointment of the first Indian judge to the Madras High Court.

It became a daily in 1940. It came to be owned by the present family in 1905, when the paper’s then legal advisor S. Kasturiranga Iyengar bought the failing paper.

The paper’s present 12-member board is made up of four sets of siblings who are the great-grandchildren of Mr. Iyengar. Several of them hold positions such as Washington correspondent, executive editor or editor of The Hindu’s business paper.

People who read Mr. Ravi’s letter online weren’t very sympathetic to either brother. Several people who commented on a very recently set up blog called Save the Hindu, where Mr. Ravi’s letter was also posted, described themselves as onetime loyal readers who feel let down by the management of the paper in recent decades, accusing it of becoming too left-leaning and pro-China.

Many also criticized its coverage of the Sri Lankan civil war as being too supportive of the island country’s government.

Others said it was no longer as bold as it used to be. “The Hindu, after initial investigative reporting in the Bofors scandal case, succumbed to the govt of the day’s arm twisting tactics and has never been the same thereafter. The Rams and Ravis – who have spinelessly kowtowed to powers that be need no sympathy from us,” wrote “Qurioux” in response to Mr. Ravi’s letter. “The Hindu has short changed its loyal readers for three generations like me. Now it is a family feud that is coming in the open not a fight for principles.”

But some said that it was still a pretty good paper, and urged Mr. Ravi to stop airing the paper’s dirty linen in public.

“Even if all the allegations N. Ravi has made are true, I think it is highly unprofessional for him to have made this letter public, thus washing the family dirty linen in public,” wrote sHaranYa, comparing the paper favorably to some of India’s other mainstream dailies. “At least The Hindu does not print gossip about film actors and have photos of barely clad women, and print of photos and reports about socialites at Page 3 parties, and discuss nonsense in the name of news.”

This type of internal rift is bound to happen.. it reflects the different pov of Ram and Ravi. Nothing is new here; the Hindu family will resolve this: most Members of the Board supporting either Ram or Ravi...

Besides, I felt that only The Hindu (on Ram's effort) published A.Raja's pov on this 2G "scandal". No other national paper tried to get his side of the story... that's a shame.

Is one-sided reporting the best way forward? No, I don't thing so... under US and India law, Raja is innocent until proven otherwise in the court of law (after all the appeals!).

There are two issues on A. Raja:

1. Why did he follow NTP99 protocol instead of NTP94 which is for the "highest bidder"?

This is a policy matter, even followed by NDA govt. Interestingly, Arun Shourie, the former IT guy in the NDA govt said, "Raja sold something the Govt of India DID NOT own it in the first place".... what does this mean? I don't know.

2. Whether Raja got any quid pro quo or kickbacks from this spectrum sale?

This is the most pertinent matter in discussion.. so far, it's all just innuendo, conjecture and political witch hunt... can't be proven in the court of law.

Again, the SC has taken direct interest on this; whatever may be the final verdict, how will Raja appeal the verdict if the SC has taken over the initial jurisdiction of inquiry?

The Indian SC is in uncharted waters.... very dangerous for discovering the Truth and protecting the innocent victims of CBI's excesses, IMO.

Here, I support Ram over Ravi....and I don't like the Hindu over playing the Wikileaks and glorifying Julian Assange... a guy who is running away from Justice.. let him go to Sweden and take care of the sexual harassment charges.... why hiding in London?

Last edited:
yam,

you still have not answered my query in another thread

'why should i not welcome comments from you?' i need to clarify such stuff myself as i do not honestly know why feel that way.

re your post #5 here, i agree with all your assessment.

the sc is really in uncharted waters, and in danger of becoming a political tool once again, as it did during indira gandhi's regime.

except the last about julian assange.

thank you.

yam,

you still have not answered my query in another thread

'why should i not welcome comments from you?' i need to clarify such stuff myself as i do not honestly know why feel that way.

re your post #5 here, i agree with all your assessment.

the sc is really in uncharted waters, and in danger of becoming a political tool once again, as it did during indira gandhi's regime.

except the last about julian assange.

thank you.

Dear K:

1. Since I have said that I am not a religious person you and others could ask "why is he into issues of death and post-death rituals, etc"?

Anyway, I was kidding... please ignore it.

2. On Raja's case, the CBI was very reluctant to get into this, for the simple reason that it's very hard to prove in the Court of Law beyond reasonable doubts... they learnt the lesson when the SC allowed J Jaya to walk when the Special Court convicted her of bribery and corruption in 2000.

Now, the same CBI is super active and even indicted Kanimozhi!! In the active management of Kalaigner TV, she and her step mother Dayalu were not involved... only crime she committed was she is a good friend of Raja; her Mom also loves him!!

See how CBI changed its color on Aarushi case: First they wanted to close the file for want of conclusive evidence; now they say only the parents did it or could have done it!! Again, they are totally abused organization, IMO.

Love to hear from you why Julian Assange is a "saint"? lol

Regards.

Y

dear Yam,

I hope atleast I have been consistent, that disagreement in views does not mean disagreeing with the person. Just the views ok?

This is what I thought when you commented that I would not be interested in hearing from you – that you equated your views to liking you. why cannot I disagree with you and yet like you?

infact I think I like everyone in this forum. I have fought tooth and nail with many, but even they would claim to be my friends. So, please let us not break the chain. Ok?

re your (ir)religiosity has nothing to do with post death rituals. Every one has a post death rituals, even if it means, just dumping the corpse in the garbage yard. And it goes only more complex after that.

I had certain imagined parameters, and a certain spiritual mode of life re the Man Above. I still accept the mystery of it all, and whether there be or not be, an after life, it will be the same for all of us regardless of our religiosity or agnosticism.

I agree with you re CBI, as being a tool of the Home Ministry. I detect the dark hand of PC here. These folks got caught, atleast for an embarrassing investigation. Those bandicoots in new delhi appear to be beyond such stuff, whether it be bofors or anything else.

Re assange, where did I say that he was a ‘saint’. I simply like him for what he did. He may be a rapist, but that is another criminal matter, no way connected to his expose re wikileaks. Also, should we not atleast give him the same benefit of doubt, ‘innocent till proven guilty’. Assange is fighting forces which are a million times more resourceful and powerful and deeper pockets than our CBI.

You have all the assault weapons ofthis world combinedly working to crush this poor amoeba aka Julian Assange. I like him. Never said he was a ‘saint’ :)

ps.. what is the origin of the word yamaka?

"...this poor amoeba aka Julian Assange. I like him. Never said he was a ‘saint’

ps.. what is the origin of the word yamaka?"

Dear K:

1. Liking a person without agreeing with some of his pov is the BEST in all of us.. I am with you on this 100%.

2. "Saint" is not your word, for sure.... this is the word expressed by the so-called "Freedom of Information" hawks to glorify Assange in the context of what WikiLeaks have done... here is my view on this:

a. Every person, family, country have at least some informations not to be revealed to others... these are "secrets" of the family or the country.

As such, this privacy must be honored.. it's true for Assange, true for me, my family and country.

b. Assange directly or indirectly is encouraging people like hackers (Bradley Manning and others) to steal important informations from the US, which is very illegal.

c. He uses these stolen information to bully States, which is very unethical & immoral, IMO.

d. He has a legal proceedings waiting in Swedan and he is evading the law.. a law-breaker is acting like a "saint"!!

What's the current Hindu Succession / Inheritance Law since 2005?

Do girls have equal shares like boys in the inheritance in TN or India ?

Please give me some insights or the law, if you can

Thanks.

Regards

Y

Last edited:
Dear K:

Here is the specific case regarding Hindu Inheritance Law and the problems:

I know two sisters here, whose father is trying to write a Will to give ALL the assets (house, jewels, cash etc = about 100 lakhs Rs) to the son of his deceased son, after the days of his wife.

The lawyer tells him that there will be problems at the Probate, because as per the new Hindu Law of Inheritance passed in 2005-2006, daughters should ALSO get EQUAL shares.

These sisters want equal shares, and the father is refusing...on the grounds of "Hindu Brahmin Tradition in TN". (Importantly, he self earned 30% of his Estate and the rest inherited from his side and wife's side (his fil divided his Estate equally among son and daughters about 10 years ago))

If the man leaves without a Will, the Gov't would divide his Estate into four equal parts, one to the surviving wife, one to the deceased son (which must be shared with his mother and sister), one each to the daughters, as per the law, the lawyer says.

You or anyone can comment on this new Hindu Inheritance Law as practiced in TN today (Is there a Thread already talking about this here?)

Thanks.

Cheers.

Y

Last edited:
dear Y

you evaded one query once more :)

ok, here goes re inheritance.

i think, the will supersedes every law. if the father wanted to give everything to the humane society or RSS, it is his business. there can be no arguments, and if he is smart, he will have sufficient witnesses to proclaim that he is of sane mind when signing the will.

maybe. and this too very maybe. there can be some litigation re inherited properties. but what money he earned, he can dispose of as he pleases.

it so happens, in a very close relationship, the son got a major share of the inheritance. in this case, he 'bought' the land/house, all for a value which in no way reflected what the market would bear.

the arguement was, that he was a good son, he promised and did his kriyai for his father, took the onus of ownership of taking care of the parents, which his sisters, very conveniently passed on to him. so, when it came to divvying up the wealth, he got the lion's share.

that the price of land in chennai has shot up monstrously, did not matter.

i am quite sure, even in india, if the father wanted to leave all his wealth, to the nurse who took care of him in old age, and gives a big naamam to the wife and family, it is allowed. i know of one family here in toronto. chinese. my friends.

Dear K:

Thanks for the reply on Inheritance.

"you evaded one query once more" What is it? Let me know, please!

"the arguement was, that he was a good son, he promised and did his kriyai for his father, took the onus of ownership of taking care of the parents, which his sisters, very conveniently passed on to him. so, when it came to divvying up the wealth, he got the lion's share."

But, in this case, the son is pre-deceased..?? The grandson is going to be the FULL beneficiary...??

Cheers.

Y

Last edited:
The Hindu law of inheritance is very clear. All children and wife have equal shares. This is an old law. The recent amendments were for plugging some of the loop holes. The Hindu inheritance law was amended long time back to give equal shares to daughters also. This was opposed by the Maths and other Hindu organizations earlier.

There is nothing called Tamil Brahmin tradition. The Chola Nadu Brahmins always favoured/favour the sons. The Pandya Nadu Brahmins always treated the daughters well and also gave a share in the property.

But this applies to only inherited property. Self earned property can be willed away to any one. In this case part of the property is inherited. So the will can be challenged in the court.

This kind of attitude towards daughters is one of the main reasons why the Tamil Brahmin girls are disgusted with the Brahmin society. Fairness and Justice are things which seem to be unknown for many members of the Tamil Brahmin society.

We are grateful to the intellectuals who formed part of the independence movement for doing justice to Hindu daughters who were earlier treated like chattel. Even today many Tamil Brahmins continue to do so. As my wife often says " It is the biggest punishment to be born a Girl in a Tamil Brahmin Family."

A change in this attitude is long overdue. Change or you will be left with no daughters.

Hello Nacchi:

Thanks for your input.

I see the distinction between the inherited Vs acquired property. It makes sense to me.

In this given case, it is estimated that the inherited portion is about 70% of the total.

At what stage the Objection to the Will is raised? I assume at the time of Probate Proceedings to implement the essence of the Will.

If there is no Will, how an acquired property is treated? Is it given to the son or son's son?

My assumption is ALL properties are divided equally between the surviving wife and ALL Tier One heirs (here including daughters).

Cheers.

Regards

Y

Dear K:

Thanks for the reply on Inheritance.

"you evaded one query once more" What is it? Let me know, please!

what is the origin of the word yamaka - sounds japanese. but then what does it mean. if you dont mind, that is.

for the record: kunjuppu, as i have answered before in this forum, is a term of endearment, to my maternal uncle. i think it is a very palghat type of nomenclature :)

But, in this case, the son is pre-deceased..?? The grandson is going to be the FULL beneficiary...??

Cheers.

Y

no the father pre deceased the son. the son is alive, and has built a huge mansion on a prime chennai land after tearing down the old dilapidated house.. all sold for a song (and maybe a tune).

the seed of the wealth was inherited, but all the daughters were brainwashed, that the son was the apple of the eye of the parents. in fact, the raison d'etre for the existence of so many daughters, was the late arrival of the son. after he came, the procreation stopped :)

Hello Nacchi:

Thanks for your input.

I see the distinction between the inherited Vs acquired property. It makes sense to me.

In this given case, it is estimated that the inherited portion is about 70% of the total.

At what stage the Objection to the Will is raised? I assume at the time of Probate Proceedings to implement the essence of the Will.

If there is no Will, how an acquired property is treated? Is it given to the son or son's son?

My assumption is ALL properties are divided equally between the surviving wife and ALL Tier One heirs (here including daughters).

Cheers.

Regards

Y

If some one mixes up his ancestoral property with his self acquired property he will have a tough time proving it. The will will be contested. In fact one could come to a lot of grief by mixing up his ancestoral property with his self acquired property. Supposing A and B are brothers. They inherit some properties. A is in charge of the properties without any partition. He acquires self earned property also but does not take the precaution of seperating them. Brother B can file a partition suit and claim all the properties as inherited. People have come to grief because of such actions.

Again with inherited property the son could ask for his share even when the father is alive. Partition suits made my ancestors who were lawyers rich. But some of them also suffered because of partition suits.

Inherited property is not always an unmitigated blesssing.

The objection will come at the time of probate of will.

If one dies intestate that is without leaving a will, his property will be divide equally among the legal heirs. That is wife, sons and daughters. If the son has predeceased the father only his share will be inherited by his legal heirs. If the son is alive the grand son will get nothing.

"what is the origin of the word yamaka - sounds japanese. but then what does it mean. if you dont mind, that is."

Dear K:

Yes, it sounds Japanese... it's a long story.. I don't want to bore you... please leave it at that!

Cheers.

Y

If some one mixes up his ancestoral property with his self acquired property he will have a tough time proving it. The will will be contested. In fact one could come to a lot of grief by mixing up his ancestoral property with his self acquired property. Supposing A and B are brothers. They inherit some properties. A is in charge of the properties without any partition. He acquires self earned property also but does not take the precaution of seperating them. Brother B can file a partition suit and claim all the properties as inherited. People have come to grief because of such actions.

Again with inherited property the son could ask for his share even when the father is alive. Partition suits made my ancestors who were lawyers rich. But some of them also suffered because of partition suits.

Inherited property is not always an unmitigated blesssing.

The objection will come at the time of probate of will.

If one dies intestate that is without leaving a will, his property will be divide equally among the legal heirs. That is wife, sons and daughters. If the son has predeceased the father only his share will be inherited by his legal heirs. If the son is alive the grand son will get nothing.
Shri Iniyan,

Since property, that too worth sevral crores of rupees, like a few cents of prime metro land, cannot be "shared" it is found that the property is first sold. As the "black" portion is more, the total is shared by almost as many legal heirs as possible so that it become easy to explain to the banks the sources of funds, I am told. I have definite knowledge of one case, but is this the general pattern?

what is the origin of the word yamaka - sounds japanese. but then what does it mean. if you dont mind, that is.
Yamaka does sound japanese. Its a pattern or design used in fine china or stoneware i think (not sure though). In indian poetry Yamaka is kind of a 'shaili' or method or technique of allegory, if am not wrong. Also Yamaka is the jewish kippah or skullcap. Wiki has some content on Yamaka which seems to be a doctrinal teaching of theravada. All in all, so many meanings for Yamaka, fascinating indeed. Yamaka, no offence meant discussing your username. Am just finding the name fascinating...Regards.

Shri Iniyan,

Since property, that too worth sevral crores of rupees, like a few cents of prime metro land, cannot be "shared" it is found that the property is first sold. As the "black" portion is more, the total is shared by almost as many legal heirs as possible so that it become easy to explain to the banks the sources of funds, I am told. I have definite knowledge of one case, but is this the general pattern?

No. I have not heard of any such instances. Depends on whether the seller is used to having a lot of money around. Some people are overwhelmed and are afraid. I do not think many people would like to share the money. That is against the average human behavior. Then there are ever so many ways of dealing with such large amounts. Depends on the investment adviser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back