• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Thavasam

Thank u sir... josiyer said panjami thithi... As per english calender we mark date on 20th May... but as per Hindu spirituals it's calculate 19th May... so that time josiyer said it's panjami thithi valarpirai punarpoosam nakshatra... May I know how u calculate tis thevasam date

sir, first you have to mention 19th night and 20th morning at 1.05 a.m.. Then only i will see in the almanoc. Name of tamil month and whether it is sukla paksham or krishna paksham. As per our hindu method one day consists of 24 hours from sunrise to next day sunrise.
on 19th sun rise is from 5-48 A.M. on 20th the sun rise is from 5-48 onwards. so for us one day means from 19th sunrise to 20 th sun rise time is one day . for western countries it is from 12 midnight to next day 12 midnight is one day.

you have to use pambu panchangam or drikanitha panchangam. In that panchangam see the tamil month as vaikasi from 15th may to 14 th june.
after newmoon day from next prathamai thithi day to fulmoon thithi day is called sukla paksham.

After fullmoon day prathamai thithi to new moon thithi day is called krishna paksham.
On 19-5-2018 you can see panchami thithi is there upto 2 -45 A.M. so as per m.i.law expired at 1-05 A.M.
this is vaikasi month and as this comes after new moon this is sukla patcham and panchami thithi.
see in the panchangam for this year New panchangam from April 14 th next year April 14th is called vikari varusham 2019-20. go to vaikasi month and after amavasai or new moon see the panchami thithi it falls on
07-06-2019. Every year you have to see like this.

Hi my mother in law died in 20/05/2018 at 1.05 am can u please tell the tithi date for thavasam
As per Hindu Calender she died in the night of Saturday, the 19th. Day is reckoned from Suryodayam to Astamanam. According to our family Panchangam Panchami tithi lasted till 2:45 am. So Sraaddha tithi should be Vaikasi Sukla Paksha Panchami according to the Panchangam which our family follows. Between panchangams there may be variation of a single tithi, on either side. Better to go by the panchangams of your family.
By the way, the Sraaddham is commonly called "தெவசம்" among Tamil brahmins. It comes from the word, Divasam meaning "the day".

As per our practice day means sun rise to sunset. Beyond Sunset is taken as next day. By this concept 20 May 1:05 AM is taken as shashti. And Thavasam falls on 08 June 2019.
Any way my suggestion would be to check how your forefathar's fixed thavasam date and what panchangam yr family follows. Even better would be to consult your Guru.

வைகாசி மாதம், கிருஷ்ண பக்ஷம் ஏகாதசி திதி. 05-06-2021 அன்று வரும்.

As per Hindu Calender she died in the night of Saturday, the 19th. Day is reckoned from Suryodayam to Astamanam. According to our family Panchangam Panchami tithi lasted till 2:45 am. So Sraaddha tithi should be Vaikasi Sukla Paksha Panchami according to the Panchangam which our family follows. Between panchangams there may be variation of a single tithi, on either side. Better to go by the panchangams of your family.
By the way, the Sraaddham is commonly called "தெவசம்" among Tamil brahmins. It comes from the word, Divasam meaning "the day".
Hello please,
I’m from Mauritius
Here we hold Thevasum after the 11th Thithi
My mum died on 20 Sept 2021 at 2 pm.
Could we hold the Thevasum on 10 September 2022
Thanks

Latest ads

Back