• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Temples, Priesthood and Brahmins...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think currently brahmins are so deeply in doubt/conflict with their ideals, that they are driven into confusion and despair... and are unable to decide; so it is providence that guides them.

Shri Pannvalan,

Quote:

Alright, what is to be done to correct this disparity? Answer to this lies in two parts.
One is, these people themselves are to be blamed for their plight, in a way. They started losing their social respect, when they began according so much of importance to known social criminals, but wielding enormous influence in the local community and when they started compromising their values, just for the sake of money. (I do not want to describe this in detail). It is understandable, against the background of their fight for survival. Yet, they should have resisted this tendency or atleast kept it within narow bounds.

Unquote.

Aptly put. But again, the numbers decide what is right and probably out of sheer hoplessness, no one has voiced out.

Temple Priests

Shri pannvalan

My closest temple is almost an hours drive for me.The temple priets are from TN called Sivachariars.One young temple priest did express,that girls were not forthcoming to marry him,becoz either of his profession or someother reason.

Even though he is well read speaks english,tamil,MA in Sanskrit ,trained in shastras....his plight was anguishing.I really did know what to tell him or console.So,i put the blame on 7 1/2 years Saturn's drishti.Suggested hold on on to Kubera Lingam as refuge.

Which family in USA or even the girls from the community,will be boldly willing to marry,a priest these days?

sb

:)

Last edited:
Brahmins evolved. Humans evolved. Caste system also evolved. Historians and Hinduism alike agree to this.

However, I did find some opinions in this title before I wrote last time, which indicated that people were not willing to have this change or evolution to continue. There were some postings which indicated a lack of mental acceptance that people outside the community can do it well. I do not agree to that. I believe anyone with devotion would be capable of being in the service of god.

Currently, the problem of opening up the "job" to all communities has had a lot of (mental) resistance from Brahmins. One - because, they did not want to lose that area of job opportunity. Two - because some feel it is better in the hands of brahmins.

In this context, I had wanted to say, that the change would attract many (other) people into the job opportunity, even if they (many not all) had no clue about devotion, but just want to do it as a job. Creating chaos initially. However, on the long run the evolution would reach a point where the right ones would get into the priesthood. That is because evolution is directed by the higher power, which intervenes when things get out of hand.

SV-ji,

There are several (non-brahmin) elders who till date will not accept a non-brahmin as a priest. So, when it comes to acceptance, its a 2-way situation.

As for me, i do not think i will ever be able to bring myself to accept a politically appointed priest.

Dear HH,

I agree with you on the 2-way situation. And i also agree with you on the political appointment of priests.

But, the reality for ages has not given way to natural devotion rather than appointment. My earnest prayers for the devoted aspirants of priesthood.

The first mistake that the state government has been doing is interference in the administration of Hindu temples and its assets.

The second one is planning to appoint archakas belonging to various communities in temples like filling up of government departmental vacancies.

But the cruelty here is this is all done by the atheists in power!

I know pretty well that if the aspirants for such positions come know of the meagre salary (in the order of Rs.600 to Rs,2000 per month) they will receive, they may not come forward to accept such positions. (Even a small tea-shop owner earns a nett income of Rs.300 per day, nowadays). Then the government's scheme will die a natural death.

Yet, the DK and their volunteers will try to poke their nose and create some tension.

Tamil Nadu Goverment must use the assistance of Kanchi Kamakoti Peetham experiance and wisdom,to set up a system,wherein,Priest can be trained for temple administration,as far as Pooja's are concerned.

Because i owe allegiance to my Kula Gurus,i suggested Kanchi Peetham.Maybe the State Goverment can choose whomever they want.

Even today,i wonder,how Mahaswamigal was selected by the Peetadhpathi,as he ,Mahaswamigal was only a boy of 12 years knowing Rama Rama as mantrams.I guess yoga dristhi comes into play and now known as ESP.

:) sb :)

It is always assumed that the priests are always chosen on Merit. Is it true. How did they decide in the past? Was it based on some oral test to test the knowledge of the priest? Have you ever heard of one? In many temples the position was hereditary. One became a priest because he was the son of so and so. In other temples the Dharmakartas had a lot of say in deciding who the priest is. Sometimes It was the Adheenam's choice. Or the recommendation from one of the big Donors. Please ask any old priest.

The masters have now changed. That is all.

A Nuanced Try

If in a organisation,a relative young rookie ( Sales Person ),is installed as,Sales Director,the chances are,the organisations Sales effort,will bomb,in the market place.AS he does not have experiance,as some would evaluate.

But in religious institutions,its different.As evidently,proven pedigree,of Mahaswami's life.His life itself is an example for folks like me.

So,everything is trial and error.The end result is in the hands of the Lord.In my personal opinion,Cauc-Asian Christians,are absolutely right on target,in terms of acheivements,in present day scenario.As technology has made bhu-loka,a veritable global village.And we are villagers.

:) sb :)

Sri N-ji,

No matter what, i do not think i can bring myself to accept a priest appointed by a political office.

The definition of a brahmin has always existed in various forms. And all forms have a place. There is not one way, one view or one size that can fit all.

The current thots running thru my mind are about the men that are willing to be the priests.

If one is truly spiritually motivated, he need not go thru political office. So what might be his intensions? Why is he willing to take up a job paying so little? He must be aware that he is a part of a poltical statement. So is he a politcally motivated person? If yes, then how can i accept him as a person motivated by divinity?

If we were to remove politcal picture and see in terms of natural sanskritization, it has always been happening; and still is happening. For example : in Andhra, there are temples were traditionally non-brahmins had been the people offering prayers and doing animal bali sacrifice (like mahankali, mutyalamma, etc). Close interaction with ways of worship with brahmins in other temples resulted in vidya prapti and we see that such people over time have come to be considered as brahmins.

So, when it comes to a man becoming a priest, for poltical purposes, how can one not view him with suspicion?

A temple priest has to be accepted by the Devotees. Everyone is wondering whether these people would be accepted at all.

In Kerala temples men have to go bare bodied inside the temple. Long time back the Devaswom board ( which is full of political appointees) decided to do away with this requirement. But when men went to the temple with shirts they were beaten up.So they restored status quo ante without any fanfare.

They can not keep policemen permanently to protect these Temple Priests.

Let us wait and see.

It is a cycle...

People worshipped the natural forces... then it was organized into temples, now people would rather pray in their own homes than in temples... soon they would leave that practice also and keep God in their mind only...

The again, it might slowly evolve into a common place for spiritual enlightenment...

All other factors are probably variables that aid towards this cycle...

Brahmins need not be upset about this incident. My opinion is that they should leave this profession... of course, this would be impractical without brahmins uniting...

priests

I wonder whether State Goverment interferes with Christian Priest selection or Moulvi Selection or a Rabbi Selection.?

But when it comes to Brahmin Priest selections,our impotent cowardly leaders turn into a "Villadi Veerans"!!Wonder why???Maybe a couple of villadi veeran leaders ought to be gunned down by TamBrahms to assert ,it is possible for Tambrahms to become violent in their protest!!

I guess we would need a Puratchi Thalaivan!!

Narayana Narayana

sb

It is a cycle...

People worshipped the natural forces... then it was organized into temples, now people would rather pray in their own homes than in temples... soon they would leave that practice also and keep God in their mind only...

The again, it might slowly evolve into a common place for spiritual enlightenment...

All other factors are probably variables that aid towards this cycle...

Brahmins need not be upset about this incident. My opinion is that they should leave this profession... of course, this would be impractical without brahmins uniting...

No Sesh-ji, i do not think brahmins should leave this profession. Already perhaps due to brahmins of the past who left their natural path, the present day ones have come to this position of being in a fix. There may be people who may be looking at purohitam as a source of income alone. But let us not forget that there are also brahmins who will not abandon a temple under any circumstance. Why should such people suffer? Or rather why should all suffer because of actions of a few alone?

Instead, i think to prevent them from leaving, everyone should be of help and support.

A friend of mine from darjeeling told me (her brother converted to a christian) that in the north-east india, all christians have to compulsarily give 10% of their monthly income to the church. They come home and collect it. That is how christianity has been growing rapidly there. Actually our fault is that we have failed in our monetary responsibility to both - our society as well as our religion.

And we must support them.

Shmt. happyhindu,

I may sound parochial in my thinking here...

For those who are not able to leave it out of love and devotion to the Lord, let them do Athmaartha poojai within their self or in the privacy of their home...

Yes, I agree that we have to help; but no one from our vedic community has dared to raise a finger against the pointed atrocities on brahmins...!!! There is no unity even in this...

We seem to be social revolutionists in pointing out the earlier atrocities of brahmins... as if it were their sole property... it is this misconception amongst ourselves that is also a reason - we lack conviction.

In this scenario, it is but futile for the archakas to expect any sort of support...

A friend of mine from darjeeling told me (her brother converted to a christian) that in the north-east india, all christians have to compulsarily give 10% of their monthly income to the church. They come home and collect it. That is how christianity has been growing rapidly there. Actually our fault is that we have failed in our monetary responsibility to both - our society as well as our religion.

Christianity is again, an attempt at homogenization of society; they are more like club members, without a search for the real truth... They are vociferously advocating a strict adherence to their rules and policies...

Maybe we see a change in the western world, but in India - now a land purportedly seen as discriminating against people in the name of caste, material gains matter the most...urrggh, am disgusted at the shambles, our politicians have made out of spirituality... but sanity is not all lost.

Again, people tend to differ in their views...

Will we see a kind of homogenization attempt from our vedic religion?

I believe that the brahmins uniting together and reaching out could be the real awakening factor for all of our community...

Sesh-ji,

Have never doubted the need for unity. Its a must. First unity among various brahmanical sub-castes as one group, then good interaction with those of other communities...

Abt the temples priests part, the quitting part will never happen. I do not think non-brahmins will allow it to happen either....

There are other ways of accomodating the ones that call themselves dalits currently. First is acceptance and the need to stop calling them dalits....i do like the concept of Sri Ramanuja...he united everyone in a common hindu group and maintained a seperate priestly group with neither group being considered superior over the other...

There are other ways of accomodating the ones that call themselves dalits currently. First is acceptance and the need to stop calling them dalits....i do like the concept of Sri Ramanuja...he united everyone in a common hindu group and maintained a seperate priestly group with neither group being considered superior over the other...
Even then, there were many who opposed Ramanujacharya on this...

As time changes, the mindset changes and in the end, the view tends to get distorted... it has distorted because we had no unity... and we allowed all willy-nilly stories and perceptions to alter our thinking...

There is no superiority... but everyone have their own way... a conflict of ideas arises when one tends to generalize everything based on a particular line of thinking - here it is equality.

Last edited:
You have really set me thinking Sesh-ji...am not sure i can ever understand all this 'equality' thingy at all - politically, socially, etc....guess its high time i stop thinking and talking abt all this rubbish caste stuff that anyways will go nowhere....

Last edited:
Shrimati...

I am somewhat in agreement with you...

But by arguing/discussing, one good thing is that we come to an inference, maybe, of our self and the relative stupidity of things in the general scheme... and that is very important...

:heh::argue::noidea:;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back