• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Temple Prasad

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

The word ‘prasad’ means that which gives peace. During any form of worship, ritual or ceremony, Hindus offer some items of food to the Lord. Puja is done with Bael leaves, flowers, Tulasi (Basil plant), Vibhuti and these are given as Prasada from the Lord.
Prasada is that which gives peace. Prasada is the sacred food offering of the Lord. During Kirtans (Singing hymns), worship, Puja, Havan and Arati, the devotee offers sweet rice, fruits, jaggery, milk, coconut, plantain and such other articles to the Lord, according to his ability. After offering them to the Lord, they are shared between the members of the house or the Bhaktas (devotees) in a temple.
Water, flowers, rice, etc., are offered to the Lord in worship. This denotes that the Lord is pleased with even the smallest offering. What is wanted is the heart of the devotee. The Lord says in the Gita :
"Patram Pushpam Phalam Toyam Yo Me Bhaktya Prayacchati;
Tadaham Bhaktyupahritamasanami Prayatatmanah" – Whoever offers a leaf, a flower, a fruit or even water with devotion, that I accept, offered as it is with a loving heart".

Prasad, Prashad, Importance of prasad,Prasad in Hindu temples,Charanamrit,Charanamrit prasad

You are not supposed to refuse "prasad". To my dismay on astami day the Durga pooja prasad is meat. First time it happened when I was 10 years old. I got the prasad, and a could smell the meat. Being a vegetarian, I asked my mother for advice, she said I could easily donate it to someone else. Strange customs. LOL

There are many temples across India where people offer Bali. People who practice Bali thinking that God would punish them if they do not offer him a Bali.

By writing about the "Bali" all I want to convey is that there is no such concept of sacrificing a life to the God in Hinduism. In Hinduism all are equal. How could God tell one of his children to kill the other to please him?
http://www.hindu-blog.com/2009/04/thoughts-on-bali-or-animal-sacrifice-in.html

Last edited:
Dear Prasad,

I think you are still under the influence of Kolkata Kali temple! Do you know any other temple which gives meat as 'prasada'

to the devotees? I have heard about a few Amman temples in Kerala, where they sacrifice goats and cocks, on a specific day.

But I don't think it is distributed to all the devotees!

(Anyway, those who don't eat meat will not go to see the sacrifice, I think!)

Basically Bakthi has no limits. Humans offer their Gods with some preparations that they cook for themselves and consume. Whatever Humans feel tasty to their tongue and acceptable to them for their consumption, tend to do the same for the God with all their Bakthi and Love. Then this becomes a custom and followed by generations over generations. Since the basic fact is showcasing one's love to GOD by way of offering, anything goes fine.

Many forms of Goddess viz. Kali, Durga, Karumari are understood to have furious / "Uggram" tendencies to win over the Evil. These Goddess are offered with "Bali"/Sacrifice" of Goats thereby pleasing god with blood and flesh.

There was a great devotee, who was epitome of devotion. His name is Thinnanar, a hunter in the jungle. When he found Shiva Lingam on a hill top in Kalahasthi, he could feel some vibrations and got dissolved in his bakthi to Lord Shiva. He used to hunt to feed himself and before consuming for self used to offer the same to his God with full love and devotion. Once Lord Shiva wanted to test his Bakthi and for that showed Thinnanar as if one of the eyes of the Shiva Lingam is bleeding. On this Thinnanar scooped one of his eyes with his arrow and placed it at the place of bleeding. When he found the second eye of Shiva Lingam bleeding, he immediately placed one of his toe on the wound so that he can have the right spot known that can be fixed with his another eye. When he attempted to do with his second eye, Lord Shiva unable to bear such act of devotion, appeared before him, stopped him from plucking his another eye and praised him for his love and devotion. And named him as KANNAPPA NAYANAR. It was Thinnanar's Love and Devotion to the lord that bestowed him with the greatest boom of self realization. Kannappa Nayanar's true love and devotion was honored irrespective of what he offered to his Lord.

Since any type of "prasaad" - Veg & Non.Veg are those that human's consume, they are prepared and offered to God with all reverence and distributed among the devotees who can consume such "prasaad". A Vegetarian attending such aaradhanas can well have Kumkum and fruits "prasaad" alone. Or anything that is not non.veg.

Temples follow the tradition and habits in the community and locality. It is good to study the temple, its history and tradition before visiting them.

It is a news to me that non veg stuffs are offered as 'prasAd' in temples! How ignorant am I, about temples in India!! :(

I am not criticizing non-veg prasad. I said I was surprised just as Ms. Raji said.
Generally you expect few vegetarian, to visit a public temple, I would have expected them to have vegetarian prasad. In birla mandir, you get Tulsi and charanamrit. That is fine too. What you do in your private Temple is your business.

The word ‘prasad’ means that which gives peace. During any form of worship, ritual or ceremony, Hindus offer some items of food to the Lord. Puja is done with Bael leaves, flowers, Tulasi (Basil plant), Vibhuti and these are given as Prasada from the Lord.

Even a hindu dhabawala (roadside restaurant) will accomodate to a vegetarian.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back