• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Tamil Saint’s Mad Experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.
By S Swaminathan

appaya-dikshita-handing-over-some-of-his-works-to-his-disciple-brothers-grand-son-sri-nilakanta-dikshita-minister-to-madurai-thirumalai-nayyakkar.jpg

Picture: Appaiya Dikshitar hands over manuscripts to Neelakanta Dikshitar

Appaiya Dikshitar (1520- 1593) was a big name in Tamil Saivaite circle. He was a great devotee of Lord Shiva. He wrote 104 books on various subjects. He was an erudite scholar and an authority on Vedas, Ithihasas, Puranas (epics and mythologies) and Sanskrit grammar. He has composed poems, hymns and commented on many scriptures. He lived in different towns of Tamil Nadu including Kancheepuram, Vellore, Chidambaram, and Tiruvanmiyur.

He was born in a place called Adayapalam near Arani. His name was Vinayaka Subramaniam. He challenged anyone who opposed Advaita philosophy (Non duality). He countered several peoples’ arguments and they were all published as books.

One day he was very much worried. He thought about the day of his departure from the world. He was wondering whether he would think of Shiva at the time the messengers of death arrive from Yamaloka. So he thought of a mad experiment, literally a mad one. Would I think of my weakening body or diseases that may afflict at old age or Lord Shiva on the last day?

He called his devoted students and told them, “Look I am going to eat poisonous Datura seeds (umaththan kay in tamil). Them I am going to blabber. Please note down every word I utter till I am under the influence of that poison. Don’t forget to record my actions as well”.

His students were puzzled, but yet they can’t say no to their guru. He ate the poisonous seeds and the disciples gave him the antidote after some time according to his instructions. He did blabber when he had gone mad under the influence of those seeds. His students faithfully recorded everything he said. He was very anxious and could not wait to see what he said under the influence of poison. To his surprise what he said was nothing but new hymns on Lord Shiva. There were 50 hymns which themselves became a beautiful book under the name Unmatha Pralapam (mad man’s sayings)or Atmarpana Stuti.

Hindus believe that whatever one does throughout one’s life would come at the end. A good man or woman would get only good thoughts on the day of death. Even Lord Krishna in Baghavad Gita (Chapter 8-sloksa 8) says,” He who meditates on the God with his thought attuned by constant practice and not wandering after anything else, he, O Partha, reaches the God (paramam purusham diyam).

Appayya Dikshitar’s grand nephew Neelakanta Dikshitar was another famous scholar and minister during Madurai King Tirumalai Nayak’s rule. (Please read the moving story about Neelakanta Dikshitar in my post The Wonder That is Meenakshi Temple).

Books authored by both the Dikshitas were published in English and some in French.
Datura seeds would make one go mad. In the olden days people used to give it to their enemies in milk or food. There were many stories of mothers in law giving it to daughters in law or vice verse.

For further details contact [email protected] or [email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back