• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Tamil Grantha alphabets (தமிழ் க்ரந்த எழு்த்துக்கள்)

Status
Not open for further replies.

natkaushik

Tamil Grantha alphabets (தமிழ் க்ரந்த எழு்த்துக்கள்)

clip_image001.png
clip_image001.png

Last edited:
தமிழையே THANGLISH போல எழுதச் சொல்லும் இணையதளத்தில், கிரந்த எழுத்தா? :peep:

HI! sorry for the snafu.Let me try again

ஹரிঃ ஓம்

தமிழ் க்ரந்த எழுத்துக்கள்

5வது நூற்றாண்டிலிருந்து 20ம் நூற்றாண்டு முன்பாதிவரை தமிழ் பகுதிதளில் ஸம்ஸ்க்ருதத்தில் எழுத க்ரந்த எழுத்துக்கள் பயன்பட்டன.
கணக்கற்ற நூல்கள் வெளியிடப்பட்டன.ஆனால் இன்று,ஐம்பது ஆண்டுகளாக நடக்கும் திராவிட ஆட்சி, மற்றும் நம் அஜாக்ரதையின் காரணத்தால் நம் சொத்தை கிட்டத்தட்ட இழக்கும் நிலையில் உள்ளோம்.
ஸம்ஸ்கிருத்தில் இருக்கும் ஸ்லோகங்களை சரியான உச்சரிபபுடன் படிக்கவும், இந்து சமய, சம்பந்தப்பட்ட விஷயங்களை தமிழில் விவாதிக்கவும், ஸம்ஸ்கிருதத்தை எழுத ரோமன் எழுத்துக்களைப் பயன்யடுத்துவதைத் தவிற்கவும், தமிழ் எழுத்துக்களுடன்,அதில் இல்லாத (aspirated and voiced consonants as also anusvara & visarga) எழுத்துக்களை கிரந்தத்திலிருந்து எடுததுக்கொணடு, உருவாக்கப்பட்ட (20ம் நூற்றாண்டு உடயோகத்திற்கு வந்த) எழுதும் முறையை பயன்படுத்துவது மிகவும் அவசியம்.

To Read this Tamil Grantha text the ‘e-Grantamil’ font, available at ‘Asien-Afrika-Institut ,needs to be installed. For typing in this script The ‘Grantamil’ Package consisting of font and keyboard available there shoul be installed. Both Bengali and Tamil languages should be selected as additional input languages as also the installed e-Grantha keyboard for Bengali language (for typing Gantha Alphabets) & Tamil Keyboard for Tamil alphabets for typing .In WORD by choosing e-Grantamil font and selecting Bengali or Tamil keyboard in language bar it is easy to type in Tamil Grantha.

This works fine when you type in WORD. But when you type or paste in this editor, the Grantha letters are shown in Bengali letters. Perhaps some expert can solve this.Also hopefully some TamBram will develope the necessarykeyboard.Below is the sample

அ ஆ இ ஈ உ ஊ ঋ எ ஏ ஐ ஒ ஓ ஔ அং அঃ

க খ গ ঘ ங
ச ছ জ ঝ ஞ
ட ঠ ড ঢ ண
த থ দ ধ ந

ய ர ல வ শ ஷ ஸ ஹ ழ ள ற ன

You can see the first 43 slokas of Soundary Lahari inscribed
in grantha in the sanctum santorum of Sukundakumdalambal situated in the
rockfort of Trichy.

Respected MsVIsalakshmi Raman, MS Raji Ram, Mr. Saidevo & Mr. Ranganathan, Thank you for your responseே.

The Question I would like to pose is " Why not our Tamil Brahmin community adopt and practice writing in Tamil Grantha, i.e.Tamil Alphabets+ the missing consonants 2,3.....4 taken from Grantha?" This will complete the alphabet set(like Telugu,Malayalam etc) and we will be eqipped for reading and writing Sanskrit slokas as also Tamil Hymns and teaching our future generations. During beginning of 20th Century this had been in vogue. Ours is perhaps the only community which has been compelled to use english alphabets to write sanskrit slokas!!.I am sure a good number of our forum members will be enthusiastic.Our community need not be just an appendage of the 'செம்மொழிச்செம்மல்கள்', but a self sufficient, confident group, contributing to the development of Tamil (Manipravalam?), without worrying about பிராம்மண தமிழ்.

Anti- Brahminism is a recurrent feature of any discussion on the development of Tamil script for computer applications. Even the suggestion to include জ স শ ষ হ by one of us will be taken to be a Brahminical plot to Sanskritise Tamil.While Tamil is a wonderful Language, and we are proud to be the inheritors of the culture, there is no gainsaying that the script is woefully inadequate for modern information exchange.Let the ignoramusses struggle with the existing script (attributable to the Christian evangelists -God bless them). Let us use our Tamil Grantha and become leaders once again.

Iswaro Rakshatu
( sorry for not writing in Tamil Grantha!!)

ஓம் গণেশায ন
গজাனனம் ভুতগণাদিসেৱিতம் கபித்த জংবুফসারবক্ষিতம்
மாஸுதம் শোகவினாகாரணம் நமாமி விগ্নেனேশ্வர பாபங்கஜம்
தமிழ்க்ரந்தம்

க2ஜானனம் பூ4தக3ணாதி2 ஸேவிதம்கபித்தஜம்பூ3 பலஸார ப4க்ஷிதம்
உமாஸுதம் சோகவினாசகாரணம் நமாமி விக்3னேச்வர பாத3பங்கஜம்
தமிழ்

গজাননং ভূতখণাদিসেৱিতং কপিত্তজংবু পলসারভক্ষিতং
উমাসুতং শোকৱিনাশকারণং নমামি ৱিগ্নেশ্ৱর পাদপংকজং
க்ரநதம்

To Read this Tamil Grantha text the ‘e-Grantamil’ font, available at ‘Asien-Afrika-Institut ,needs to be installed. For typing in this script The ‘Grantamil’ Package consisting of font and keyboard available there should be [COLOR=#da7911! important][COLOR=#da7911! important]installed
[/COLOR]. Both Bengali and [COLOR=#da7911! important][COLOR=#da7911! important]Tamil [COLOR=#da7911! important]languages[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] should be selected as additional input languages as also the installed e-Grantha keyboard for Bengali language (for typing Gantha Alphabets) & Tamil Keyboard for Tamil alphabets for typing .In WORD by choosing e-Grantamil font and selecting Bengali or Tamil keyboard in language bar it is easy to type in Tamil Grantha.
[/COLOR]

I salute your lofty ideals. :clap2:

I wish your dream comes true in the near future. :sleep:

People make heinous errors even with the 12vowels +

18 consonants currently in use in Tamil.

The moment they are pointed out (even in the

mildest manner) they will start cursing

(aram paaduvaargal).

They write nonsense poems and challenge you and

bless you to go nuts trying to correct that which is

beyond correction.

Some others do not bother about (or do not know about) santhi / otrezhuthu!:faint:

I will be very happy even if people start writing

flawless Tamil with the existing alphabets.
:happy:

Respected MsVIsalakshmi Raman, MS Raji Ram, Mr. Saidevo & Mr. Ranganathan, Thank you for your responseே.

The Question I would like to pose is " Why not our Tamil Brahmin community adopt and practice writing in Tamil Grantha, i.e.Tamil Alphabets+ the missing consonants 2,3.....4 taken from Grantha?" This will complete the alphabet set(like Telugu,Malayalam etc) and we will be eqipped for reading and writing Sanskrit slokas as also Tamil Hymns and teaching our future generations. During beginning of 20th Century this had been in vogue. Ours is perhaps the only community which has been compelled to use english alphabets to write sanskrit slokas!!.I am sure a good number of our forum members will be enthusiastic.Our community need not be just an appendage of the 'செம்மொழிச்செம்மல்கள்', but a self sufficient, confident group, contributing to the development of Tamil (Manipravalam?), without worrying about பிராம்மண தமிழ்.

Anti- Brahminism is a recurrent feature of any discussion on the development of Tamil script for computer applications. Even the suggestion to include জ স শ ষ হ by one of us will be taken to be a Brahminical plot to Sanskritise Tamil.While Tamil is a wonderful Language, and we are proud to be the inheritors of the culture, there is no gainsaying that the script is woefully inadequate for modern information exchange.Let the ignoramusses struggle with the existing script (attributable to the Christian evangelists -God bless them). Let us use our Tamil Grantha and become leaders once again.

Iswaro Rakshatu

Last edited:
I am amazed to see you posts, dear thread starter! You must have known the way they teach Hindi and Sanskrit

alphabets in schools. It is taught as first ka, second ka, third ka and fourth ka and then to pronounce as ka, kha, ga and

gha. So, instead of sticking to the same Tamil alphabets with numbers, which is a very easy method, why to learn the

grandhaa? We will be too happy if the Tam bram children/ adults write flawless Tamil. You must be knowing that

Sanskrit is taken as second language to score a 100% and enhance the % of marks in schools. They can read the

slokAs in Sanskrit very easily!

Regards......

Mr.Natkaushik,

With knowledge of tamil and a little bit of sanskrit, one can read grantha texts.
And if one has the original slokas or something like that, one can infer the
grantha words and note down for future use. I have acquired some knowledge
in this way only and not formally.

...They write nonsense poems and challenge you and
bless you to go nuts trying to correct that which is beyond correction.
Mrs. VR nice to know I am in your thoughts, albeit generating so much negative energy. Just in case people are wondering what she is talking about, here is the nonsense poem I penned sometime back in response to concerted assault from Her Majesty.

தினமுமோர் பயனற்ற புதுத்தகவல்தரு அறிவுமணி
தினவுதீர தினவுதரு பனுவலளிக்கும் அன்புமணி
தினையளவு குற்றமும் பொருக்கலாகா கருணைமணி
தன்தவறுக் கந்தகியாம் தன்னிகரில் தற்குறிமணி

Dear Prof. Sir,

Are you forgetful? After a search for about 10 mts, I could locate your original.

And here it is, Sir:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

With due apologies to cool sister R,

தினமுமோற் பயனர்ர புதுத்தகவல்தறு அரிவுமனி

தினவுதீர தினவுதரு பனுவலலிக்கும் அண்புமணி

தினையளவு குற்றமும் பெருக்கலாகா கரணைமணி

தன்தவறுக் கந்தகியாம் தன்னிகரில் தற்குறிமணி

go nuts correcting this

Note: I have removed your smileys from the post, since my reply had smileys too!

My reply to the above post was for you, which was this:

Untiring :fencing:, :argue: and :boink: . . . :crazy:

My sister misunderstood that it was meant to her!

Regards,
Raji Ram

Are you forgetful? After a search for about 10 mts, I could locate your original.​
Mrs. RR, you could have saved all this trouble by just asking me, I have both versions in my computer :)

I don't want to remember the past, especially ones that generate negative thoughts, but HRM never lets me forget, keeps needling me everywhere, even thrusting it where there is no relevance to the topic of discussion. This thread is a prime example, for HRM, praising the efforts of the OP on grantha lipi is an opportunity to put me me down, why?

HRM, let it go, so much anger is not good for health ....

Look who is talking of anger...

of all the members in the Forum!

It has been accepted that TWO version are available...

the correct one and the 'corrected' one to be posted.

I will give below my 'supposed' assault.

I have learned to convert my anger into creative energy..

In fact that is what keeps me charged and going on!

There are thousands of books and manuscripts in grantha script and those who want to read them have to learn. Those books and the knowledge embedded in them will be lost if there is no one to read the script. There are efforts to scan old books and manuscripts and make them available in the net. If applications are developed to change grantha into devanagari script, most of the precious documents can be retrieved and preserved.

Even a modern language like sindhi faces a similar problem. Sindhi script is virtually not learnt or new books in sindhi script printed.

நெஞ்சு பொரு(!)க்குதிலையே ???

This IS my assault (
concerted assault from Her Majesty)

which made our honorable member write a poem,

scramble it and load it with every possible mistake

- since it was the worst punishment that can be

given to me!

Is aiming at or trying for perfection a

PUNISHABLE crime???

Last edited:

Iswaro Rakshatu

nat,

you have provided very good reasons for adopting grantha. grantha is after all ancient tamil - many of the stonecuts and palm leaf editions are in grantha afaik. maybe even thirukkural might have been written in grantha originally.

in order to get a broad based buy in - i would suggest a two pronged approach.

- sell the benefits of grantha ie the missing sounds in the current alphabet, and the need to inculcate other sounds ie p, b, bh, ph difference
- sell it across the literary and mass based circles. unless it is accepted bottoms up, it will not become real. one good example of instant adaptation is periyar tamil - when i was young i used to think it was very logical, and there were many magazines which used periyar tamil before it became the norm.

a case of failure: the change of tamil new years day from april 14 to pongal. there is an equally good arguement for this, and it was accepted in a 1920 conference that tamil new years is better off at pongal ie start of thai month. but MK goofed it up and provided a handy tool to his opponents who panned it.

it is all in marketing and propagating. :). remove the caste element, and let it be started and spread by NBs, xtians and muslims - thus guaranteeing a widespread mass based appeal. once all the groups do not feel 'threatened' and there is a buy-in, acceptance will automatically follow.

best wishes.

#3. பக்தியும், பகைமையும்.

பக்தியும், பகைமையும் மாறுபட்டாலும்,
முக்தியை அளிப்பதில், அவை சரிசமமே.

அவை இரண்டும் எதிர்ப் பதங்களே – ஆயினும்
அவை ஒரே நாணயத்தின் இரு பக்கங்களே.

அதீத விருப்பம் பக்தியில் முடியும்;
அதீத வெறுப்போ பகையில் முடியும்!

கண்ணன் மேல் கொண்ட பக்தி பெரியதா?
கண்ணன் மேல் கொண்ட பகைமை பெரியதா?

நூறு பிறவியில் கொள்ளும் பக்தியும்,
மூன்று பிறவிகளில் கொள்ளும் த்வேஷமும்,

சரிசமம் ஆகும் தராசுத் தட்டில்;
சரிதான் மாயக் கண்ணன் கணக்கு.

நாம் விரும்புபவர்களை, அவ்வப்போது
நாம் விருப்புடன் கொஞ்சம் நினைப்போம்.

நாம் வெறுப்பவர்களையோ, நெருப்பென
நம் நினைவில் இடைவிடாது கொள்வோம்!

எப்படி நினைத்தால் என்ன கண்ணனுக்கு?
எத்தனை நேரம் நினைக்கிறோம் என்றே,

கணக்கு வைத்துக்கொண்டு மனம் கனிவான்;
கணக்கு முடிந்தவுடன், கருணை பொழிவான்.

பக்தியும், அன்பும் அடைவிப்பது போன்றே,
பயமும், பீதியும் அவனை அடைவிக்கும்.

“எப்படியோ என்னை நினைத்தாலே போதும்”,
என்றே கண்ணன் எண்ணுகின்றான் போலும்!

விருப்பு வெறுப்புக்கு அப்பாற்பட்டவன்
வேறு எப்படித்தான் எண்ண முடியும்?

வாழ்க வளமுடன்,
விசாலாக்ஷி ரமணி.

The purple fury highlighted above is

as true of me as it is of you!

Remember I can read thoughts.

Last edited:
Dear Kunjuppu Sir,

A very nice post from your desk (#22). But, now that easy spellings in English and Tamil languages are spreading,

it is difficult to bring a Tamil which has more alphabets to remember. Tamil is a difficult language and needs lot of

practice to write without mistakes. The ழ - ள - ல; ந - ன - ண and ர - ற are good enough to keep one amazed!

The advantage of using the computers has made it very easy to type out Tamil fonts, since the phonetic English

spelling gives a few Tamil words from which we can select the right one. The world is getting modern everyday and

it is not easy to take it back to the olden times.

Regards,
Raji Ram

Inda paruppu vegathu. appeasement of threatened groups by eliminating or downplaying brahmins will not effect any change - new year on jan 14th or revival of evr. Denigrating brahmins seems to be only purpose in life of some; the endangered christian and muslim species must co-apt a valiant fighter for the cause.

nat,

you have provided very good reasons for adopting grantha. grantha is after all ancient tamil - many of the stonecuts and palm leaf editions are in grantha afaik. maybe even thirukkural might have been written in grantha originally.

in order to get a broad based buy in - i would suggest a two pronged approach.

- sell the benefits of grantha ie the missing sounds in the current alphabet, and the need to inculcate other sounds ie p, b, bh, ph difference
- sell it across the literary and mass based circles. unless it is accepted bottoms up, it will not become real. one good example of instant adaptation is periyar tamil - when i was young i used to think it was very logical, and there were many magazines which used periyar tamil before it became the norm.

a case of failure: the change of tamil new years day from april 14 to pongal. there is an equally good arguement for this, and it was accepted in a 1920 conference that tamil new years is better off at pongal ie start of thai month. but MK goofed it up and provided a handy tool to his opponents who panned it.

it is all in marketing and propagating. :). remove the caste element, and let it be started and spread by NBs, xtians and muslims - thus guaranteeing a widespread mass based appeal. once all the groups do not feel 'threatened' and there is a buy-in, acceptance will automatically follow.

best wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back