• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Tamil Astrology Signs vs English Astrology Signs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Astrology is also called as the science of tendencies (like, say, meteorology) by b v raman. Intuition, skill, knowledge and ability to wade through a big array of rules are all important in making a reliable prediction. A genuine astrologer will also prescribe pariharams for minimising ill effects.

A dozen of people known to me have died of cancer, despite assurances from the doctors of a successful cure. Of course, the cause of death is always not cancer, but pneumonia, failure of inherent defense mechanism. It is the proverbial case of 'operation is success, but patient is no more'.

Art Buchwald (funny column writer) spent the last days of his life in a hospice; he refused to undergo dialysis when both his kidneys failed. The doctors warned that he will not survive even for a week. He lived for over six months without the treatment.

Any way, whether astrology is a science or not, the book stores are filled with '2012 predictions' for the individual, family, love partners, career guidance and what not. 70% of the publications are of western origin.

That is the most meaningful post in this thread IMO.

Dear Sri Yamaka,

Let me address your concerns about vedic astrology wrt your wife's relative.

But first let me say something about Sri Sangom Ji's post wrt to myself. I do not predict for my close family. Close family means my immediate family, that includes my wife, my children. my grand children, my brother and sister and my mother. I use their horoscopes and events in their life as a teaching tool. There is a reason for this. If my grand parents are living, and they are not, I would have included them in the above group.

However I freely predict for relatives not mentioned above, and friends and acquaintances referred to me by my family and relatives and friends. In my life time, I must have made perhaps more than 1000 seminal predictions, and to my astonishment, probably about 70% of them have come true. I can not explain why, based on any scientific basis.

Now coming back to your issue. Astrology is more like medicine than any other science. In that respect, it is more of an art than science. It is because, there are myriads of variables, and each variable has differing strength and influence on the prediction - same as diagnosis in medicine, given various symptoms. Wrong diagnosis are made all the time. Do you then reject medicine as a valid discipline?

I do not predict matching, precisely because I do not trust the matching criteria and the numerical points assigned to it. The part of matching horoscopes is completely avoided by me, because of my firm belief that humans can not overcome their assigned Karma in this life. Plus, I do not agree with the scales of importance and assigned numerical strengths to the matching process, because they have been changing over time.

Despite the matching, which does not look at individual dasa balas, one can very easily see the effects on one's married life. In other words, one can look at matching criteria and approve a union, but the individual horoscopes may tell a different story and I believe in the latter.

So, my question is to you is this: Would you say that 3 doctors that diagnosed a person with one decease and the patient dies, and you condemn modern medicine?

This is exactly what you are doing with astrology, especially because you deem it unworthy of scientific inquiry.

I agree with Sri Sangom Ji's take on this.

Regards,
KRS

Dear KRS:

1. I am very impressed that you made 1000 seminal predictions and about 700 of the came true so far. This is a huge number.

I wonder why didn't you monetize this ability to amass some wealth? Maybe, a very silly question, indeed!

2. I was told by many Believers in Astrology & Matching Business that ones the precise time and date of birth (of the girl and boy) is known for certain, then the predicting job is pretty easy using the volumes of knowledge already available to them.

That's why I asked that question: How come all the THREE independent Astrologers / Match Readers missed that particular case so very miserably?

In fact, all the three predicted that my marriage to my wife will vanish in a year or two if not months - as per my wife's sister! Lol. Hence, it appears to me that they were wrong totally TWICE atleast!!

3. It is very interesting to observe that you don't believe much of "Matching the Horoscope" and still you call this and astrology as good as modern medicine, for which billions of dollars are spent every week through out the world!

Sir, Modern Medicine is more of a Science now... but Astrology/Horoscope is not.. If it is, there will be hundreds of Endowed Chairs in major Universities in India and elsewhere to do Original Research on Astrology and the Science of Match Making!

The comparison is totally WRONG, IMO.

Regards.

Y

Last edited:
universities in india have vedic astrlogy degree.masters and phd.

just for a layman how important celestial objects are is by our weekdays named after each graha of the navagrahas.though seven is taken as ranu and ketu are chaya grahas.time is dependant of on light from these celestial bodies.

i think ones common sense is enuff to understand the importance of these celestial beings.our rishis did teach us the various angles of visions from each of these grahas thereby givng an outcome.at the very beginning itself an humble astrologer bows obeisance to the lord,who is the know it all of everything known to humanity.

Dear Sri Yamaka,

My response below in 'blue'.

Dear KRS:

1. I am very impressed that you made 1000 seminal predictions and about 700 of the came true so far. This is a huge number.

I wonder why didn't you monetize this ability to amass some wealth? Maybe, a very silly question, indeed!

Sir, when I realized initially I have this gift of prediction, and by word of mouth people will come to me for a reading, I was offered money by some. I refused and I have this belief that if I do accept money, my gift will disappear. I also read for only the folks I am told by my inner voice to read. I have rejected many others. I also do not predict death. Only once I did when a relative went to a numerologist and he was told that he would live for only 3 more years at that time. He immediately consolidated all his money and bought a house so that his wife can live there. After having done all that he came for a reading. I told him that his life was not in danger and he will live beyond three years. He is still living and I made that reading about 9 years ago.

2. I was told by many Believers in Astrology & Matching Business that ones the precise time and date of birth (of the girl and boy) is known for certain, then the predicting job is pretty easy using the volumes of knowledge already available to them.

That's why I asked that question: How come all the THREE independent Astrologers / Match Readers missed that particular case so very miserably?

In fact, all the three predicted that my marriage to my wife will vanish in a year or two if not months - as per my wife's sister! Lol. Hence, it appears to me that they were wrong totally TWICE atleast!!

There are about 10 'poruthams', that astrologers, which are specific position matchings of both planets and signs in each horoscope. And a numerical value is assigned to each of the 10 'poruthams' based on the matchup quality and a total is then calculated to say whether a matching is excellent, good or bad. The problem with this is that while it generally works, there is ample room for failure, because these 10 'poruthams' are not weighted properly.

Usually, the family astrologers tend to soothe their clients, not wanting to say 'bad' things that a family will get upset about. :)

3. It is very interesting to observe that you don't believe much of "Matching the Horoscope" and still you call this and astrology as good as modern medicine, for which billions of dollars are spent every week through out the world!

Sir, Modern Medicine is more of a Science now... but Astrology/Horoscope is not.. If it is, there will be hundreds of Endowed Chairs in major Universities in India and elsewhere to do Original Research on Astrology and the Science of Match Making!

The comparison is totally WRONG, IMO.

I did not say that 'astrology' is as good as modern medicine. My comparison was only to say that because of the complexity of the subject matter (human body for medicine which is complex versus the astrology complexity based on number of variables and rules). The art in medicine is diagnosing (otherwise we will not need doctors), and the art in astrology is predicting.

I agree that modern medicine is Science, but one should know that lots of time, efficacy of treatments etc. are done with statistics. So, there are exceptions.

In the same way, astrology can be studied and systematized like medicine. But unlike medicine, why it works will be a complete mystery, not taking in to account the miracle that is the human body!

Astrology has a bad reputation generally and that's why folks with scientific skills do not want to study it. They generally pooh pooh it. But no one can convince me that it does not work. I am practicing it.

Regards,
KRS

Regards.

Y

Last edited:
Dear KRS: Ref your post 29.

Curious to know this -

1. Do you think your "gift of prediction" can be taught to one of your family members or any disciple?

2. Do you believe that this Gift will be lost if used "to make money"? If you do, what's the basis of your belief?

You need not answer these questions, if you deem it very personal not suitable to be discussed in this Open Forum.

Cheers.

:)

Dear Sri Yamaka,

I do not mind answering your questions.

For #1: No Sir, Astrology is a private hobby. It is for my own private intellectual quest, as it intrigued me as a young man. My 'gift' is not for boasting, but just telling the fact, amassed over time. By the way, this is not about me knowing something special, more than what is not there already in well known Vedic Astrology treatises. Because, as I have said that Astrology is more an art, I really can not transfer this 'gift' to others.

For #2: I have nothing against making money. But, from early on, I had this aversion to make money using Astrology. I don't know why. May be it was because, I did not have a Guru, but rather learnt it by reading books and experimenting. Or may be because, I was unsure of my predictive skills. But, I did make a decision early on that I will never charge for my predictions. Once I made this decision, violating it was not an option. I firmly believe that it was a contract with myself and violating it was not an option. In this respect, yes, I feel that if I violate the contract, my 'gift' will go away.

Hope this explains.

Regards,
KRS
Dear KRS: Ref your post 29.

Curious to know this -

1. Do you think your "gift of prediction" can be taught to one of your family members or any disciple?

2. Do you believe that this Gift will be lost if used "to make money"? If you do, what's the basis of your belief?

You need not answer these questions, if you deem it very personal not suitable to be discussed in this Open Forum.

Cheers.

:)

Dear KRS: Ref your post 31.

I love your post, and to know of the "contract with yourself etc." Very touching.

We were talking about why Astrology is not developed or researched enough to elevate it to the level of say..medicine.

If Vedic Astrology treatises are already existing, then what prevents people to engage in earnest attempt to learn it well (as you did it) and popularize it to benefit the Society at large?

I am very puzzled...

My thesis is there is NO rational basis for this Astrology - an ancient Art!

Regards

Y

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back