• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

tamerind in coorg

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsarathy

recently i had been to coorg.
there i i found locals using a type of dry tamerind for cooking.
thinking that we could use it in chennai i bought the tamerind for domestic use in cooking our items.
but nobody seems to know about it in chennai.
can anybody in our forum enlighten the use of coorg tamerind in chennai.
G.PARTHASARATHY

Botanically it is called garcinea cambogea. This is used to as a substitute for Tamarind. Even at low concentration this gives sour quality. Fairly cheaper than our tamarind. Medicinally it helps to reduce body weight and fattening.

Sri Sabesan & SriGsarathy Sirs,
It is called Kokham fruit in general or by kodukkaipuli in tamil.
It is a preferred substitute for tamarind in curries and other dishes.
It is used as an appetite suppressant and to inhibit the absorption and synthesis of fat, cholesterol and triglycerides. In other words, it is a dietary aid.
Overnight the fruits are soaked in water and next day the watery portion which will be almost black in colour is used as cheap substitute for tamarind. Neverthless sambar or rasam made of tamarind will be tasting far better [ for those who are already used to tamarind] than that with Kokhum fruits. Like filter coffee to instant approx.
All ayurdvedic items selling shops should sell it. If you want exact outlets in Bangalore I will check out and advise.

gps,

you disappointed me.

when i saw the title thread 'tamarind in coorg', my first thought was this was some detective story.

then, i went on imagine, that the tamarind found in coorg had mysterious properties.

finally, we come to kokham :( .. ஒரே letdown.

என்னவோ!! atleast we have watered this down to a spicy topic hee hee :)

Good Information.have you tried this Dr Sundaram/Gsarathy?.I have never heard of this,Infact Bangalore Puli is famous in Chennai.How does it look like?like a Cake?or what?
May be it is not widely used,otherwise we would have come to know of it.anyway it is worth exploring because of medicinal values.I know a shop in Malleswaram where all the Naatu marundhus are available and I will check when I go next.

Usually this goes better with people who use Non Vegetarian preparations.
In Kerala , this is widely used in the raw /dried variety. In my childhood days school children used to relish it similar to normal tamarind.
In Mumbai side etc the extract and syrup/juice are also available. Drinking same is believed
to be good for curing low BP.

Last edited by a moderator:
SABESAN,KUNJUPO,SURYA,SUNDARAM, COORG TAMERIND GPS
Thanks for immediate encouraging reply on coorg tamerind.
i bought 500g for rs.40 from coorg.
i am using it as substitute to our local PULI [tamerind]
by knowing the taste we can adjust the quantity.
it has to be soaked overnight.small quantity is enough.very good for masala items.
no side effects.
G.PARTHASARATHY

SABESAN,KUNJUPO,SURYA,SUNDARAM, COORG TAMERIND GPS
Thanks for immediate encouraging reply on coorg tamerind.
i bought 500g for rs.40 from coorg.
i am using it as substitute to our local PULI [tamerind]
by knowing the taste we can adjust the quantity.
it has to be soaked overnight.small quantity is enough.very good for masala items.
no side effects.
G.PARTHASARATHY
Sri gsarathy,Any way pl be watchful as it is an appetite suppresant. Since grown in forests [ in wild] ensure thorough cleaning and final preparation boiled well to eliminate any possible microbial and fungul contaminations.

Dear Dr. Sundaram:

We are glad to have you as one of our members and your valuable medical advice is very much appreciated by all the members!

[Quoted by: Dr. Sundaram: Sri gsarathy,Any way pl be watchful as it is an appetite suppresant. Since grown in forests [ in wild] ensure thorough cleaning and final preparation boiled well to eliminate any possible microbial and fungul contaminations.
progress.gif
]

Dear Dr. Sundaram:

We are glad to have you as one of our members and your valuable medical advice is very much appreciated by all the members!

[Quoted by: Dr. Sundaram: Sri gsarathy,Any way pl be watchful as it is an appetite suppresant. Since grown in forests [ in wild] ensure thorough cleaning and final preparation boiled well to eliminate any possible microbial and fungul contaminations.
progress.gif
]
Sri silverfox, I am not a medical Dr.But a doctorate. By virtue that I am In Medical Pharmaceutics I happened to know a bit of all this about.

It is very common in Maharashtra.
Kokam is used in place of Tamarind
and is available even in syrub form also in MAharashtra.

SReedhar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back