• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Superstitions in India

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old wine in a new bottle! I mean this topic.

I remember very well writing in our forum long back, about my belief of wearing a particular saree while travelling in a train!

Anyway Prasad Sir never misses a chance to attack! May be because he is the star of our forum, right?

P.S: Some members start very many threads with links from TOI or copy pasting the OP from some other source! :cool:

I do admit that my postings are not original to me, just as all ideas are researched and not original. I do not claim what is not mine, i give credit where it is due, otherwise it will be Plagiarism.

In my earlier post I did accept that we all have personal quirks, like favorite sari, but that is harmless. When we try to pass our personal quirk as "culture" then only it becomes an issue.

'kaRivEppilai', raw mangoes, tamarind are all in the list of 'not to be handed over'! But, I can't figure out why? :noidea:

Dear RR ji,

Yes...I know even raw plantain also is in the list.
May be cos raw mango is sour and tamarind is sour.

I love eating tamarind...its just delicious especially fresh from the pod.

Well. Anything that is dangerous, polluting, delicate and expensive must not be given in hand directly. Mango, tamarind and banana can stain the hand, pins, scissors, knife can injure, delicate things may break and expensive things (diamonds) may be dropped on the floor.

In one instance a UK colleague of mine dropped an expensive electronic transducer while giving it to his assistant. He patiently heard my belief on pins, knife and diamonds; I believe he became a believer.

I definitely will not accept knife or pin from some members of this forum, even when they are in a non combative mood.

We must cease using the word 'superstition' and always say 'belief' - mine or thine.

Dear Renu,

The pin or knife is not to be given in hand because it may hurt the one who receives, it if it is not handed over properly. But unless

threatened with some bad effect, who will listen? :lol:

'kaRivEppilai', raw mangoes, tamarind are all in the list of 'not to be handed over'! But, I can't figure out why? :noidea:

I've noticed this practise in mostly Tamilians. While giving and receiving money with the right hand they touch/keep their left hand on their right hand elbow and sort of stoop and hand or receive money. It looks very humble.

In 1988 I was told by my japanese interpreter cum coordinator that 'present generation of japanese youngsters have become arrogant and do not touch the right elbow while giving something to elders'; he lamented that koreans are more polite and still do rest the left palm on the right elbow.

Since koreans have overtaken japanese, may expect the receiver to do the elbow touching.

I've noticed this practise in mostly Tamilians. While giving and receiving money with the right hand they touch/keep their left hand on their right hand elbow and sort of stoop and hand or receive money. It looks very humble.

Giving or taking anything with both the hands has the unconscious effect on outsiders that the person so doing is doing so with full mind and with due humility. And when it comes to money, we may remember that there was a time when a person's word was better than today's stamped agreement or promissory note. Such was the respect given to financial tansactions by our ancestors. And I think we should try to follow this practice (I don't think this is a superstition; it is just courtesy.).

Dear PJ sir,

For me I really do not view money as Goddess Lakshmi..that is how all the problem starts when we equate money with Goddess and that makes us hanker for it more and more and desires get out of control.

Money is a piece of paper with value which is needed for mundane life and nothing more or nothing less.

I have lots of superstitious relatives who are highly educated but still have some believes that one should not give a safety pin to another!

Once me and my cousin were dressing up to go for a wedding and she needed a safety pin for her saree and I gave one to her and she told me to put in on the table and she will take it herself cos if one takes it from the hand of another ..the relationship might turn sour.

I find all these without any basis..all I can think is may be if a person give and pin to another it might accidentally pierce the other person and fight might start! so to prevent fights one is asked not to give it directly.

But frankly speaking who really wants to believe all these??

renukaji

probably you might realize it when you become old!!

Alright, if you think money is a piece of paper, will you touch it with your leg?
You will definitely hesitate to do it.

Dear P J Sir,

Thinking of paper, I am reminded of the famous 'Madhavan joke' when he is asked to use the toilet paper, during his flight! :lol:

Dear P J Sir,

Thinking of paper, I am reminded of the famous 'Madhavan joke' when he is asked to use the toilet paper, during his flight! :lol:

Raji Madam

That was boring joke!! not even an uneducated person would behave like that the the way Madhavan did.
We have been taught since childhood not to touch books with legs.
Money is although it is only paper, we treat it as Lakshmi.

But unless threatened with some bad effect, who will listen? :lol:

Exactly, my cousin just keeps all sharp things all over the kitchen, easily reachable for the young kids. When I advise her,
she will frown, saying, 'why do think I am not careful'. Her ego gets hurt. But, she would be careful in not giving them in one's hand,
because the belief is registered in her mind deeply, but this time her ego is not hurt ;)

Our ancestors didnot anticipate the modern inventions and dangers, else they would have written a book with 1000 such beliefs/advises.

We indians are mindless, careless, imperfect and incomplete and with all these shortfalls we are egoistic. Brain injuries are the most common. Live wire
accidents may have come down I guess.
Neurological disabilities hit 3.5 million Indians every year - YouTube

Another belief, wasting water is like spending money. Inspite of such belief, Asram Bapu wastes water on holi. Hope that was mantra enhanced water ;) Also, one shouldnt spill (or step on) turmeric or sindhoor, then is holi invalidated by shAstra ;)?

Last edited:
Superstitions are all personal to begin and spreads to a family and a region. It is never universal.
Mr. Govindaji what you say makes sense.

Superstitions are all personal to begin and spreads to a family and a region. It is never universal.
Mr. Govindaji what you say makes sense.

No, it is an other way. They remembered few beliefs, but failed to apply the same reasoning to other related things.

renukaji

probably you might realize it when you become old!!

Alright, if you think money is a piece of paper, will you touch it with your leg?
You will definitely hesitate to do it.

Dear Sir,

To be frank..I never really view any part of the body as lesser to the other.

So for me I use legs to walk/stand as it is supposed to be.

Hands are meant to pick up things.

So for all practical purposes I seldom use legs to touch anything unless in cases of where something has fallen into a place where only the leg can be used to reach it to kick it towards us.

At that time I will not view using the leg as sign of disrespect.

For hygienic reasons..I would not use legs to touch money cos feet are exposed to a higher degree of bacteria and I would not like to contaminate the money note cos bacteria can be transmitted when we give the same note to another person.

That way sir..even walking on the earth will be viewed as wrong cos we trample mother earth with our feet.

For me I don't view Godess Lakshmi as confined within a currency note.

She is the Shakti Embodiment of Lord Vishnu..since Lord Vishnu is the Preserver..His Shakti will be the kinetic form of the giver of Aishavaryam of well being in physical and spiritual aspects.

The problem is mostly Lakshmi is only thought of the material aspect.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back