• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Sumangali Prarthana After Marriage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I just came across this forum today and started reading it out. I am really excited being a part of this community forum. It gives a lot of valuable knowledge about our culture. Every topic is interesting to read and is also thought provoking.

I am posting this question on my moms behalf.

My sons marriage is on Friday in the month of June 2013. I was told that the Sumangali Prarthana can be done the very next day irrespective of any day and Thiti. Since the next day is saturday, can we still perform Sumangali Prarthana?

Awaiting reply at the earliest.

Thanks & Regards
Ambika

you should not perform sumangali praarthana on saturday. you may do on sunday.
Most of our family members have moved out of India and I do not remember when we last performed Sumangali Prarthana (Pondugal) in our family. I have been supporting Samashti Upanayana through my friends but never heard about a "Samashti Sumangali Prarthana"

Is the Sumangali Prarthana done only by families with their own daughters/daughter-in-laws etc., or as per Periava's advice to a couple from Mayavaram, this could be organised for needy sumangalies similar to Upanayana.

Much appreciated if there are any organisations doing this noble service.

namaskarams
subramanian

Sir,
I have given details of sumangali praarthana/mangali pondugal in the sticky thread in rituals,ceremonies and poojas in the vaang nichayam nichayathartham in the second page. In some families ladies will die as sumangali and o nthe next day that sumangaly"s yearly ceremony they have to do sumangali prarthana every year. for other families to obtain blessings from vasu, rudhra aathithya thevas before upanayam and maariage we are doing naandhi sraatham.

to obtain blessings from the wife"s and young daughters of these vasu ruthra aathiyars we are doing sumangali praarthana. only during these occassions.
people who are doing navaavarana pooja for srichakram and meru with panchathassakshari and shodasa thasaakshari manthras duly initiated they must do sumankali pooja. In all ambal temples during navarathri period, and in mutts where thry are doing chandy homam they have to do sumankali pooja.

as an individual all sri vidhyopaasakars must do for every navavarana pooja minimum one sumankali pooja. The previous day itself oil and sheekakai powder with turmeric powder and kumkum maruthaani powder will be supplied. they will take oil bath and will come to the temple or mutt or to the srividhya upaasakar house. nalangu to their feet will decorated. 16 upachaara pooja will be done to them meals will be supplied.
9 yards cotton sreee with blouse, haaram, thoduthaa poo, coconut with mattai, fruits, sweets, thaamboolam, dhakshinai, manjal, kumkumam, eyetex, bangles seepu, mirroor,will be given to them.

During navaraathri in all amman temples navaavarana pooja and sumankali puuja will be done in a grand scale. each day 12 sumankalies or even more will have sumankali pooja. In west mambalam chennai sankara madam they are dong in a very big scale devi pooja and sumangali pooja and also kanyaa pooja.

In august 15,16,17,18,19 2013. daily in kaanjipuram kaamaakshi sannadhi street yathraa nivas they are conducting one crore gayathri japam and daily by about 10. A.M. sumankali pooja. for 1001 sumankalis. you may join by contributing before 30th june minimum rupees one thousand one per sumankali.as donation. phone no; (04374)239330 or239331.

I have a doubt about Sumangali Prarthanai
We belong to Vadama, Iyer,

Our daughter's family is in UK, our son's family is in US with whom we stay most of the time.
We are planning to perform Upanayanam our Grandsons , our Daughters and our Son's eldest in November 2013.

It so happened that one of my distant cousin died in March2013 , and elder women in the family suggest that till the Varushadhegam is over this ritual Sumangali Prarthanai can not be done; that means before Upanayanam, this can not be done before and we have to wait till ,March 2014.

Since more than six month period will be over after March 2013 , can we do Sumangali Prarthanai before upanayanam in November, 2013?

It is very difficult for our daughter to come again to US to participate in Sumangali Prarthanai in March 2014 as her family will be here for upanayanam of her son along with our son's son in November 2013.

Is there any condition that our daughter should be present when our daughter in law performs Sumangali Prarthanai in March 2014.

Learned members please post your views.

Last edited:
Dear sir, there is no rule that your daughter must be there for sumangali praarthana. your daughter-in law may do in march 2014. you may do without the presence of your daughter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back