• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Strict Vegetarians Cooking Meat

Status
Not open for further replies.

kunjuppu

i request the public to treat this article lightly.

it is not here, this presentation, to bring out the animals in us - pardon the pun.

hopefully this will trigger a light hearted look at non veg - many of us may be non veg, or our spouses non veg or friends non veg (most likely).

Strict vegetarians cooking meat | Life | Times Crest

thank you.

ps based on the response, i will recount my own past feelings re this subject...
If you are doing for someone you love, nothing wrong. In punjabis this is common. Many sikh women are vegetarian. Many cook for their hubbies though, but cant tolerate even the slightest mixings.

What I dont like is the hubbies and in-laws demanding this to be done. Where went the dignity of these women?

Yes and surprise - There are veggie brahmin women who married to brahmin men, cook meat too. I think I found something in Indusladies or some forum about this. There was also this brahmin lady a doctor who learnt meat cooking in hostel days. Many many years back this was found on her story of marriage with a jew somewhere on net.

Another surprise- There are some non brahmin women, so I have heard, fought with their hubbies and had their way- No NV Cooking in house.

It thus boils down to tolerance from both hubbie and wife. I only want the more accommodating person to win!

it is not here, this presentation, to bring out the animals in us - pardon the pun.

hopefully this will trigger a light hearted look at non veg - many of us may be non veg, or our spouses non veg or friends non veg (most likely).

thank you.

ps based on the response, i will recount my own past feelings re this subject...

Dear Kunjs,

No big deal I feel..Just do our duty thats all..Do it well if thats what we have decided to undertake..
What goes down anothers GI system has not much difference to me cos I cant impose my thoughts on others.

With regards to eating non veg..you know I have a friend who is Hindu who even eats beef but says he does not eat beef in the house ..he eats it outside.
One more was saying that they are non veg but cook outside the house in some different utensils and then have a bath and come in to house.
I told them both.."hey guys what difference would it make if you ate outside or even cooked on the roof when it entered your GI system? so if you want to eat non veg just eat it..dont justify your acts by saying it was cooked outside the house cos thats hypocrisy"

Anyway going back to duty ..remember:
Karmanye Vadhikaraste, Ma phaleshu Kadacana,

Ma Karma Phala Hetur Bhurmatey Sangostvaakarmani

Last edited:
Dear Kunjs,

I told them both.."hey guys what difference would it make if you ate outside or even cooked on the roof when it entered your GI system? so if you want to eat non veg just eat it..dont justify your acts by saying it was cooked outside the house cos thats hypocrisy"

It is. I have a suspicion that some clever fellow who wanted to indirectly spread vegetarianism even among addicted NV eaters introduced such ideas- about purity and food. That person may have been some sadhu giving advices. So I support this trick by this person, being a biased vegetarian myself.

செல்லும் இடும் ஒழுங்காக இருக்கட்டும், பொய் சொல்லி வழியை காட்டினாலும் பரவா இல்லை !

Last edited by a moderator:

thank you.

Dear Sri.Kunjuppu, Greetings.

Since I am not a member with Times of India, I could not read the whole article. a couple of times, when we were naughty, my wife, cooked NV food and omelette couple of times. She did not eat them though. Bit hard to explain that experience.... one has to live it!

Cheers!

Dear Sri kunjuppu Ji,

I am a fan of Anthony Bourdain and watch his shows whenever possible.

But, a lot of times, he himself does not want to see the deed of killing an animal. He is quite squeamish about the act.

The other day I caught a show called 'Top Chef' (our own Padma Laxmi is a judge), and there was this Hindu Chef (forgot his name). The ingredient was 'live bugs' and he said that while he can cook any meat/poultry/fish as long as they have been already killed by someone else, he just can not kill any living animals. So he cooked the fare in such a way that required the eaters to kill the worms and eat them with his preparation!

I know quite a few Hindu wives in America who are vegetarians, who would cook chicken or fish, but draw the line at cooking beef for their families (except of course, they do not think that a 'beef' hot dog is not 'beefy'.)

Others who are non-veg, I know, eat every meat variety outside their homes, but do not want to cook any meat in their homes (in deference to their puja room deities)

So, it varies.

I only know a couple of folks (by the way they are born as non-brahmins) who really can not stand even the smell of the meat being cooked. One is from a totally non-veg home in India and she is the only veg in that family from birth. The other is from a Mudaliar family, who adhered to 'Saivam' food at home.

Regards,
KRS

Last edited:
Dear Kunjuppu Sir:

Interesting thread.

I know of a lady who makes a beef curry for her husband's white friends. She is a pure vegetarian and just does it for other people!!
For her cooking beef is just like cooking any vegetarian sambar or gravy !! She has never tasted what she
cooks and these guys love it. She has a hard time handling the meat, but as someone in the previous
message said she does it out of love for her husband which I think is admirable!!
I think in some ways, this is what sets apart many women, they seem to put aside personal
preferences to please what others like!!

BTW, Brahminism is not synonymous with vegetarianism though. There are quite a few Brahmin sects (Bengali brahmins among them), who are quite good at killing, cutting, preparing, cooking and eating animals. They cannot think about going without it, just like South Indians cannot conceive about such strongly meat eating Brahmins.

What goes down anothers GI system has not much difference to me cos I cant impose my thoughts on others.

Ah, but that is exactly the name of the game, imposing one's thoughts on others. At various times it goes under various names such as religion, parental love, caste expectations, nationalistic fervor. If we only keep our thoughts to ourselves every man (or woman) would become the proverbial island. Where's the fun in that?

i think cooking meat in the west is quite different from that of india.

here the meats come packaged and sometimes even cut. you ask the average canadian wife to clean a fish and she would blink.

whether it be chicken or beef or lamb or any other meat, it comes in sterilized packaged, all cleaned and ready to be cooked.

infact the process is much more for the vegetables, where one has to remove the skin, at the very least.

we get here in toronto, canned இடிச்சக்கை from thailand. this as perhaps palghat folks know is a delicacy for us. this canned இடிச்சக்கை is all cleaned and chopped and packed tightly. on the face of it, it looks like chicken. and my kids have said, it tastes like chicken too.

in palghat cuisine, தொகயல்ஸ் have a very special place whether it be the lentil or coconut based. the french pate de foie gras in crushed goose liver with spices. both apparently taste very similar. and so on it goes.

the chinese have dried pork rinds which they fry in oil. we have our ஜவ்வரசி vadaams. both look and taste similar. except one is veg and another is non veg.

to sum up, one man's poison, is someone else's poisson :)

cheers.

may veg and non veg and all that inbetween may flourish.

...here the meats come packaged and sometimes even cut. you ask the average canadian wife to clean a fish and she would blink.
K, I have a different take on this, sorry in advance, I hate to disagree with you!

These Canadian wives, or Canadian husbands, or wives and husbands from any other country, who are too squeamish (from where does this squeamishness come from, one ought to pause and think about that for a moment) about twisting that little neck of a chicken, or bringing down that blade upon the neck of that bewildered goat/sheep -- let me not mention the much revered cow to spare the sensitivities of devout Hindus -- but only too glad to have all the dirty work already done for them so that they can enjoy cooking and eating a little cordon bleu or tender mutton Kashmiri, or whatever else, is, I daresay, a hypocrite.

The ones who are strict vegetarians are not squeamish about plucking some okra (வெண்டைக்காய்) or spinach (கீரை), cleaning them, cutting them to pieces, putting them in boiling water or hot oil. On the other hand, the otherwise good and happy people who enjoy the taste of the flesh of animals, why are they so squeamish about plucking the little head off that chicken or cutting that goat's head?

Well, the modern food industrial complex has made it all so easy, nobody needs to worry about all the gory details, they have conveniently saved the connoisseur of exquisite meat preparations from any mental compunctions, like the tiny spaces in which chicken are raised making them so psychotic that they have to be debeaked to prevent them from hurting each other; like the tonnes of artificial feeds laced with slaughter waste -- thus making them cannibals and resulting in deadly mad-cow decease -- and the heavy dose of antibiotics added to their feed to keep them from developing a myriad of deceases due to the fact the cattle are left to spend their entire miserable lives wallowing in their own excrement, not to mention the enormous environmental cost.

Of course, may veg and non veg and all that in between flourish, just as long as the grisly details are kept hidden from the dainty Canadian wives, and husband, and the wives and husbands from all other countries as well.

Sorry to go against you my friend, but this is where I stand, like it or not.

Cheers!

Ah, but that is exactly the name of the game, imposing one's thoughts on others. At various times it goes under various names such as religion, parental love, caste expectations, nationalistic fervor. If we only keep our thoughts to ourselves every man (or woman) would become the proverbial island. Where's the fun in that?

Simple..In the Sound of Silence is the Voice of God..
A friend told me once that in the word SILENT there is the word LISTEN.
After a while we wont want to hear but rather listen within.
Live and let live..thats more fun.
See, I being a vegetarian who doesnt even wear Silk can jump on the strictest Veg woman who still wears Silk Sarees isnt it?But i wont becos that doesnt really affect me cos thats her understanding and not mine..as I said Live and Let Live provided others dont impose themselves on me.
The whole world is our island जम्बुद्वीप) (Jambudwipa)

Last edited:
These Canadian wives, or Canadian husbands, or wives and husbands from any other country, who are too squeamish (from where does this squeamishness come from, one ought to pause and think about that for a moment) about twisting that little neck of a chicken, or bringing down that blade upon the neck of that bewildered goat/sheep --
Cheers!
I remember one of my conversation with a white lady :
She was asking how come Indians do not eat meat everyday - based on my earlier statement that they eat meat on special days (heresay based on my two decades + old knowledge). I told her that the people had to kill their own chicken and they call all family & friends - as they don't do it often. She said they will all become vegetarians if they had to do it themselves.
Now with the KFCs & McDonalds things may have turned worse!
Cheers!

nara,

your post #1 only complements my views. where is the disagreement? i am scratching my bald head here :)

Non-vegetarianism was not at all alien to Hindus and Brahmanas, in particular. Jainism with its emphasis on not harming any other life, had its enormous impact on the Indian populace and the Jain ascetics came to be held in higher respect (most probably) than the mantra-chanting vedists. That was when the Brahmans were compelled to change their habits and enough stories were interpolated into the puranas, sree maha bhakta vijayam and other texts to underscore the vegetarian habit, mercy towards other lives, and so on.

There are very many Kerala homes (not tabra) in which the wife is a pure veg. but cooks NV food for her husband and children; in fact this is sort of a sign of the "upper crust" among the Nairs and some other groups.

The vegetarian food is Satvik and Non-Vegetarian food which requires killing is tamasik. Even among vegetables certain vegetables are satvik and certain are tamasik. The distinction is how they are grown. Either they are available in the upper portion of the plant or the lower portion of the plant. For obtaining potatoe, onion, etc. the plant requires to be killed i.e. uprooted. Even among Milk Cow's milk is Satvic and the milk from buffaloes, goats, etc. are tamasik. By eating tamasik food produces thoughts both materialistic and animalistic. That is why they were avoided by brahmins who could distinguish the tamasik and sativik food. In some people's view even eggs and omlettes made therefrom are satvik. The satvik food produces good thoughts such as forgiving, humane, helping tendency, not amassing wealth, etc. Of course, there are people who eat satvik food but may not have satvik tendencies. The reason is attributable to the cook's thoughts while cooking. The same logic holds for people eating tamasik food having satvik qualities. These are my views and do not have any authority. These views were formed by logical thinking.raja48

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back