• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Sri Dakshinamurthy sthothram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:-"the sloka above is different from the sloka quoted at first.

these are salutaory verses to the main Dakshinamoorthy ashtakam. right?"

Soma:perfectly right-they are two different slokams.Being Tamil BRAHMINS we may use original Sanskrit words in Roman letters without "conventions"--They are called Dhyaana Slokams(salutary-that extra "O" is Ajakalastham-verses) for sri.Dhakshinamurthy Astakam.The definition of a Dhyaana Slokam is:-when one recites the Dhyaana Slokam closing one's eyes-the Diety should appear before the person.it is how it should be composed by a Vaakkeya Kaara.It is why our seers have given I.D.s (as we have I.Ds:Somayaji,MM etc) like "Chin" mudra (for sri.Dhakshinamurthy),Kadibhaddha Vaamam mudra(sri.Paramacharyaal has discussed in detail about this Mudra in his "Arul Vaakku")-Abhaya/Varadha Mudras(Acharya sri.SANKARA says sri.Parameswari does not need these Mudras to show her "Identity!!!!-"Twadhanya Paanibbhyam Abhaya,Varado Daivatha Ghanaha,Twam Ekaa Naivaasi Prakatitha Varaabheethya Abhinayaa ---")--so in all Dhyaana Slokams sri Dhakshinamurthy's "Chin" mudra is described,implicitely or explicitely.Sri.Parameswara,who is verily sri.Dhakshinamurthy is NOT having this Mudra. sri.Ugra Narasimha,sri.Pratyangara Devi,sri.Kaali,all have "Kecari" mudra.In medieval periods some over-ebulient "Vaamaachaaris' were cutting their sub-lingual tendons to practice Kecari mudra.

Quote:-"Tamil and Sanskrit are intensely related - we can see many words in sanskrit and tamil meant the same."

Yes Tamil and Sanskrit have many common words.But Connotations differ for many words.For instance in Tamil,the word Kevalam is used in a derogatory sense--"Kevalam, Avan Picchai Edukkiraan"-like that -in Sanskrit Kevalam means Unique-no second one,nothing except that-in that sense it is used-Bhrahmam is "Kevalam"--So it is "Kaivalyam"--Achrya sri.SANKARA says "Zaivam(Saivam) Kevala Saantham Pranamatha Govindham,Paramaanandam"--"Chin" Mudra has nothing to do with "Chinna Pinna" etc--it is a WRONG translation.

They also stressed the importance of proper education through oral transmission

Nobody says that there should be NO oral communication--"Sruthi" is by oral communication only.Many people(Somayaji ALSO) had had the the pleasant experience of listening to Maharishi sri.Ramana,sri.Paramaacharyal,sringeri Jagadgurus(both Mahaa Sannidhaanam and the present Acharyal).But the moot point is sri.Dhakshinamurthy's I.D.is "Mouna Vyaakyaanam" only, which is explicit in all dhyaana Slokams.

Shri Somayaji

Thank you for the explanation.I know every Lord Shiva temple has a Sri.Dakshinamurthy located facing south,and every thursday,for preethi of Guru Bhagavan,brings gurus blessings.But your explanation of Mudras,by various gurus,is truly very enlightening.

sb

Thank you 007 bala.I am curious to know -what is that 007-Jamea Bond?!!!!

Thank you 007 bala.I am curious to know -what is that 007-Jamea Bond?!!!!

Somayaji

Its a tribute to my late father,whose lucky number was 7.I chumma made it more fanciful and there you are linking it with "double oh seven" :)..of course i do like it shaken not stirred :)

sb

007 bala,
I am sorry, if I have touched your sentiments.I wrote in a light mood.

Namaskarams

Quote:-"the sloka above is different from the sloka quoted at first.

these are salutaory verses to the main Dakshinamoorthy ashtakam. right?"

Soma:perfectly right-they are two different slokams.Being Tamil BRAHMINS we may use original Sanskrit words in Roman letters without "conventions"--They are called Dhyaana Slokams(salutary-that extra "O" is Ajakalastham-verses) for sri.Dhakshinamurthy Astakam.The definition of a Dhyaana Slokam is:-when one recites the Dhyaana Slokam closing one's eyes-the Diety should appear before the person.it is how it should be composed by a Vaakkeya Kaara.It is why our seers have given I.D.s (as we have I.Ds:Somayaji,MM etc) like "Chin" mudra (for sri.Dhakshinamurthy),Kadibhaddha Vaamam mudra(sri.Paramacharyaal has discussed in detail about this Mudra in his "Arul Vaakku")-Abhaya/Varadha Mudras(Acharya sri.SANKARA says sri.Parameswari does not need these Mudras to show her "Identity!!!!-"Twadhanya Paanibbhyam Abhaya,Varado Daivatha Ghanaha,Twam Ekaa Naivaasi Prakatitha Varaabheethya Abhinayaa ---")--so in all Dhyaana Slokams sri Dhakshinamurthy's "Chin" mudra is described,implicitely or explicitely.Sri.Parameswara,who is verily sri.Dhakshinamurthy is NOT having this Mudra. sri.Ugra Narasimha,sri.Pratyangara Devi,sri.Kaali,all have "Kecari" mudra.In medieval periods some over-ebulient "Vaamaachaaris' were cutting their sub-lingual tendons to practice Kecari mudra.

Thanks for your erudition.

Quote:-"Tamil and Sanskrit are intensely related - we can see many words in sanskrit and tamil meant the same."

Yes Tamil and Sanskrit have many common words.But Connotations differ for many words.For instance in Tamil,the word Kevalam is used in a derogatory sense--"Kevalam, Avan Picchai Edukkiraan"-like that -in Sanskrit Kevalam means Unique-no second one,nothing except that-in that sense it is used-Bhrahmam is "Kevalam"--So it is "Kaivalyam"--Achrya sri.SANKARA says "Zaivam(Saivam) Kevala Saantham Pranamatha Govindham,Paramaanandam"--

Again Thanks...

"Chin" Mudra has nothing to do with "Chinna Pinna" etc--it is a WRONG translation.

Yes Sir, but the enquiry is about "CHINNA SAMASHAYAHA" and not "Chin Mudra"

Sir for yor consideration : - Both the Aacharyals - are traditional Sanskrit Scholars. With Swami Parmarthananda having an experience in teaching the above subject for more than 3 decades in India.

They said the literal meaning of "Maunam " should not be taken and Maunam indicates attributeless Bramham.

In this respect they justiifed with various examples on the absurdity of taking the literal value of the word Maunam.

With the above background.... I've some questions

how do you interpret the following words: -

Prakatitha
Vyakyanam

That is in relation to the the 1st verse by Sureshwaracharya.

"Maunau Vyakya Prakatitha Para..."

They also stressed the importance of proper education through oral transmission - my quote

Nobody says that there should be NO oral communication--"Sruthi" is by oral communication only.

But this is what I'm stressing right from the start of the thread , as you also agreed to this, Seekers should make a structured effort to gain knowledge in a systematic way.

They should not think Guru will come and Knock their door or to some other miraculaous monger.

Having known the Indians Penchant for Miracle - I just want to emphasis on the logical part.

In this regard we are hand in hand.

Many people(Somayaji ALSO) had had the the pleasant experience of listening to Maharishi sri.Ramana,sri.Paramaacharyal,sringeri Jagadgurus(both Mahaa Sannidhaanam and the present Acharyal).But the moot point is sri.Dhakshinamurthy's I.D.is "Mouna Vyaakyaanam" only, which is explicit in all dhyaana Slokams.

I can accommodate this interpretaion also, but with some strict reservations.

In silence anything can be communicated, depending on the maturity of the student. How to ascertain the correct understanding is achieved by the student?

Regards

Yes Sir, but the enquiry is about "CHINNA SAMASHAYAHA" and not "Chin Mudra"

This has already been discussed.Chin+Na+Samsayaha=Chinna Samsayaaha--Chin=Chin Mudra--Na =without-- Samyasaha=any doubt(the students understood CHIN without any doubt)--there is NO "Chinna Pinna"-in that sense--what clarification is needed ?

Both the Aacharyals - are traditional Sanskrit Scholars. With Swami Parmarthananda having an experience in teaching the above subject for more than 3 decades in India.

May be they might have interpreted in a more scholarly way.But more information as to what exactly they said is required,for a meaninful discussion.

They said the literal meaning of "Maunam " should not be taken and Maunam indicates attributeless Bramham. In this respect they justiifed with various examples on the absurdity of taking the literal value of the word Maunam.

........................I have NO idea about this

With the above background.... I've some questions

how do you interpret the following words: -

Prakatitha
Vyakyanam

That is in relation to the the 1st verse by Sureshwaracharya.

"Maunau Vyakya Prakatitha Para..."--this sentence is incomplete and does NOT convey the right meaning---It should be "Mauna Vyaakya Prakatitha ParaBrahma Tatwam, Yuvaanam"--please see my posting--"Mauna Vyaakya Prakatitha" is adjective qualifying the Noun "Parabrahma tatwam"---Yuvanam=the young Guru sri.Dhakshinamurthy by "Mauna Vyaakya Prakatitham=by silent interpretation Guru made the Implicit into Explicit(Avyaktham to Vyaktham=Prakatitham)-Prakatitham NEED NOT be Oral,but it can be by "body language" or by "action" alone,such as Mudra,Nyaasam,Karanam etc(you may please read Dr.Padma Subramanism's(Ph.D)-Thesis on "108 Karanams.--Katitham would suffice-but the prfix "Pra" is used to enhance the meaning in logarithamis proportions of the noun that is qualified--(please see sir Monier Williams) "Pra"-as in the cases of Pra-maadham,Pra-kopam-Pra-Siddham,Pra-Laabham,Pra-Kaasam,Pra-veenam (I think there is one Praveen in our discussion group also) lord Siva became "Prakatitham" (came out of the Sivalinga in Jyothi form) in 12 Jyothir Linga Kshetras--"Souraashtray Somanaatham cha-Srisalay Mallikaarjunam,Sethu Bhandethu Raamesam etc,etc"--sri.Rudraadhyaayee's Dyaana Slokam also ends with the aphorism "Prakatitha Vibhavaa naha Prayaschandhu Soukyam"

They also stressed the importance of proper education through oral transmission - my quote

Nobody says that there should be NO oral communication--"Sruthi" is by oral communication only.

But this is what I'm stressing right from the start of the thread , as you also agreed to this, Seekers should make a structured effort to gain knowledge in a systematic way.

They should not think Guru will come and Knock their door or to some other miraculaous monger.

Having known the Indians Penchant for Miracle - I just want to emphasis on the logical part.

In this regard we are hand in hand.

Many people(Somayaji ALSO) had had the the pleasant experience of listening to Maharishi sri.Ramana,sri.Paramaacharyal,sringeri Jagadgurus(both Mahaa Sannidhaanam and the present Acharyal).But the moot point is sri.Dhakshinamurthy's I.D.is "Mouna Vyaakyaanam" only, which is explicit in all dhyaana Slokams.

I can accommodate this interpretaion also, but with some strict reservations.

In silence anything can be communicated, depending on the maturity of the student. How to ascertain the correct understanding is achieved by the student?

here in Silence through Mudra Vigjnaanam(Chin Mudra), the Para Brahma Tatwam is made Prakatitham--so "anything" can NOT be communicated--Only very,very precise thing can be communicated.In sri.Kalki's novel "Ponniyin Selvan".Vandhiya Thevan and Nambhi(spy of chief Minister Anbil Aniruddha Brahmaraayar)will see Soman Sambhavan and Idumbankaari will show "Matsya Mudra" in semi darkness.Nambhi already knows who they are-but vandhiya Thevan would be shocked to see two Pandya Kingdom spies working in the heart(Anthappuram) of Chola's palace.-It is "Mouna Vyaakya Prakatitham" only.But 4 people understand. Many admirers of Bharatha Naatyam, know the meaning of every Mudra,Nyaasam, Karanam.So there is "maim" communication(Mooka Bhaasha) and "Ucchair" Gosham(kathayathi--bhajanam etc) in religious parlance.sri Dhakshinamurthy is well known for Mauna Vyaakyaanam only.

Last edited by a moderator:
namaskarams!

the same sentence " chinna samshayaha" rendered different meaning by the Paramacharyals . so we leave it there.

Regards

This is how the Guru acts. He came to me then through the words of that no good bum. What the guru does is to point you to the right direction without you being aware of it. The trick is to watch out for the instructions and act on it. Actually the guru is within you. He brings things to you. You need not search for any guru in life, anything anyone can be your guru.

http://ikneweinstein.blogspot.com/2009/01/how-guru-comes-into-your-life.html

Nice story.

sb

Yes, as Dattatreyar points out...anything can act as a guru... if we really observe its nature and derive from it...

But then those "things" are the medium as it is our own mind that guides us to observe a pattern, if we will it... hence we are our own guru...

S S

Perhaps we ought to 'qualify' mind with spiritual consciousness to attain the guru within us thru a process of self-introspection.

sb

mannanggatti - schools are available , teacher is available , teachings are available.

vera enna panna mudiyum.

vazhapahathai urichu vailaya thinnikava mudiyum?

Last edited by a moderator:
yogakshemam vahaamyaham -

“I shall take care of the well-being of my Devotees”

tat sat

sb

athukkaga bhagawan mathiri manna sappida mudiyumanna

pulliya parthu punnai etho pannikicham...

no illusion is different - mithya is different - please see the VA thread for definitions..

no , no - both are different.

Relative truth is Mithya.

Whereas illusion is Branthi Gnanam .

on what basis you say both are same - I don't understand.

Pasikkuthe - athu enna illusiona - ellai - relative truth. not a dream.

>>Pasikkuthe - athu enna illusiona - ellai<<

Thoppai irrukku adu kaathhardu.But atma enga irukku.?Oru indriyam idu verikkum kamikkavillayae?

sb

pallikudam pogama
paadathaiyum padikkam
parikshayum ezhuthama
nanga passaga vendum - pillayare

eppadi errukku oru indianodu prarthanai.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back