• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Somebody has done black magic on Modi: Madhu Kishwar

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkrishna100

Somebody has done black magic on Modi: Madhu Kishwar

The academician discusses the disappointment with Narendra Modi's government and vents ire against Smriti Irani.

Scroll.in - News. Politics. Culture.

Noted academician Madhu Purnima Kishwar of the Centre for Study of Developing Societies and founder of Manushi, a women's rights journal, has been in the news a lot. First, for her chronicles on Modi, called Modinama, in which she critiqued the media and human rights activists for "falsely demonising" Modi after the Gujarat riots of 2002. Then for her criticism of Smriti Irani’s "incompetence" as human resource development minister and "fraudulent qualifications". In a freewheeling interview with Vrinda Gopinath, Kishwar talks about the disappointment and general despondency six months into Modi’s reign.

Has your enthusiasm for Modi waned vis-a-vis his appointment of Smriti Irani as human resource development minister?

The enthusiasm for Modi as prime minister came because of the good work he had done in Gujarat, which I saw firsthand. Coming to the field of education, I saw a man who recognises the importance of investing heavily in knowledge, skill development and learning, and who believes that India should occupy its rightful place in the 21st century. He repeatedly said this, that too with passion. Since I am engaged in the education sector, I feel passionately about it too. I have given my life to academics, I have taught in Delhi University. I have seen the breakdown of this great university, where classes are not held, the quality of education is abysmal, and which produces unemployable lumpens by the millions. We are wasting generation after generation to bad education.

Therefore, Modi’s appointment of Irani came as a horrible shock to me. Here is someone who is not just poorly educated and mal-educated – she is just Class 12th pass – but she even lied in her affidavit about her qualifications. Nor does she have the learning of a lived experience. Look at the trajectory of this woman – at 18, she leaves home for the glamour industry, to become a fashion model, a beauty queen, then gets into saas-bahu serials, which, even by the standards of the entertainment industry, is the lowest genre. It is brainless. She could not even qualify to head the National School of Drama.

If Modi is talking about getting India to make up for its lost centuries in education, you need a person with vision, experience of knowledge disciplines, of which she has none. She proved it when she said I have a Yale degree, from a five-day course. She actually thought it was a badge of honour, even I could not believe she was that dumb.

So, do you think the Modi government is serious about education? Where does this leave Modi?

It is a trauma I have not yet recovered from. I would not have been surprised if a Laloo Yadav had appointed Smriti Irani. After all, didn’t we take a Rabri Devi in our stride? But you do not expect a Rabri Devi from Narendra Modi.

Did you speak to Modi about this? Did he respond to your tweets of anguish?
You do not expect Modi to respond to this, he is not that kind of person. No, I did not get in touch with him. I expressed my anguish through social media. The reason I did not go to him was what if he had said, Madhuji, chodo na? It would have been very difficult to say no, and I did not want to drop this matter.

You still have not spoken about your disappointment with the Modi government.

Look, I still stand by my commendation of the Gujarat government. It was the absolute truth. He got rewarded for his work in Gujarat, he is now the prime minister. But now starts a new chapter, he is going to be assessed afresh. However, nobody can make sense of all this, neither me nor anyone else. It is black magic that somebody has done. I cannot believe this is happening. Maybe Modi has not got a grip yet. Maybe Delhi has disoriented him. But it is too premature to pass a verdict. I am still waiting. I am maintaining my distance.

Perhaps Modi is not what he is cracked up to be?

I have based my assessment of Modi from the ground – people may have voted for him from what they have heard, but not me. This is completely out of character, it is inexplicable. It is not in tune with his track record in Gujarat.

Is he playing the Delhi game of keeping everyone happy?
This is important because it is made out to look as if Modi owes Smriti something, but I can demolish it systematically – she has no political base, there is not a single constituency where she can win a single election, even though she was vice-president of the BJP. She is not even a Varun Gandhi, who not only wins his election but helps MLAs win in his constituency. She did not build on the organisation, she is not an Amit Shah. She just gives speeches that are fed to her. Two, they say she has to be rewarded for fighting Rahul. Then, how come nobody talks about rewarding Ajay Agarwal, the BJP candidate who fought Sonia Gandhi and garnered almost two lakh votes despite all the odds? Smriti had huge resources at her disposal – money, national media, BJP leadership, even Modi campaigning for her. Smriti’s clout comes because she latches on to a biggie – first it was Pramod Mahajan, then Gopinath Munde, Nitin Gadkari, now Modi.

Where else has the Modi government let you down?

The black money case is another blow, where Arun Jaitley has deceived the public by pretending he is doing something, like releasing three names out of 700, etc. Then the government has done nothing on the NDTV case, it has not even reinstated the revenue officer who exposed the case. It reflects very badly on Modi. And how I really want this government to succeed.

There are rumours that Smriti Irani may be appointed as Delhi chief minister if BJP comes to power?

Anything to rid her from the HRD ministry. Make her the deputy prime minister but get her out of education. Of course I would not trust her with any ministry, I do not think Delhi chief minister is such a lightweight job. It is a difficult state to run. All this tells me that nepotism of a very venal variety is at play. For, even if you have favourites, you must have very talented favourites. That is what we expect of Modi, to nurture talent. Be smart. Modi should not be doing things that even shock his party.

Where do you stand vis-a-vis Modi today?

I would say I am where Arun Shourie is today, his criticisms are valid. But unlike Shourie, I am not in the party, nor am I in the game. I have kept my distance, I have never cultivated any BJP people or even entered its office. I do not want any favours or posts, as most people cheaply accused me of, but I will take the pangas, the big risks. I want to be in the space of a creative, constructive opposition, to issue the warning signals.

Madhu Kishwar has been one of the strongest supporters of Modi much before he became the PM and the above interview will be uncomfortbale for many who admire Modi . But Madhu Kishwar herself has pointed out that she is willing to wait and not passing the final verdict .I too feel that 6 months is too short a time to evalaute Modi and we must give him more time to bring out the necessary changes as nothing can be done overnite or in a short duration .But now that Criticisms of Modi and his style of functioning are coming from people who were themselves admirers of Modi ( it is not just Madhu Kishwar even Arun Shourie has been Critical ) , it is high time the top Brass of BJP and RSS take note of this and adapt accordingly .

Madhu Kishwar has been one of the strongest supporters of Modi much before he became the PM and the above interview will be uncomfortbale for many who admire Modi . But Madhu Kishwar herself has pointed out that she is willing to wait and not passing the final verdict .I too feel that 6 months is too short a time to evalaute Modi and we must give him more time to bring out the necessary changes as nothing can be done overnite or in a short duration .But now that Criticisms of Modi and his style of functioning are coming from people who were themselves admirers of Modi ( it is not just Madhu Kishwar even Arun Shourie has been Critical ) , it is high time the top Brass of BJP and RSS take note of this and adapt accordingly .

Sir,

You are right.

Hope this Party's top brass will review the performance of respective Departments functioning under the leadership of every Minister periodically, identify the able, active, potential, etc and go for a change with reshuffling the Cabinet giving opportunity for most deserving candidates, well, in the interest of development of the country.

Sir,

You are right.

Hope this Party's top brass will review the performance of respective Departments functioning under the leadership of every Minister periodically, identify the able, active, potential, etc and go for a change with reshuffling the Cabinet giving opportunity for most deserving candidates, well, in the interest of development of the country.

What the Indian people have elected in 2014 is a "King", an autocratic government. Just as in the days of the native states, before Independence, if the king is not good, people can do nothing but pray for a new coronation! In the same condition is the whole country now.

If I write astrology, it may become superstition, though "rolling over plantain leaves with left food" is not, in the new Hindutva scheme of things. Hence, I stop with this!

Come on folks !, there is no way, a unqualified team can deliver on the tall promises. I am not picking on any individual here, it is a systemic problem, not only in India but across most countries.

How can someone who is not a brilliant person come up with path breaking reforms & most importantly implement them?. How can someone come with no education, spend all their time on protesting on roads, going to rallies, etc.. & suddenly be very qualified to be in power because a lot of people voted for him or her ????

Look at Raghuram Rajan, how he stemmed the currency slide, implemented the right policies & turned around the market sentiment.That’s what brilliant people do every time…everywhere, somehow this is very hard for our people to understand who are divided on caste issues etc… & any mention on meritocracy is seen as casteist remark..

Anyways, whether one likes it or not, there is no choice but to choose meritocracy in everything. In today’s age of social media, people can really push this agenda unlike in the past.

Wouldn’t it have been better for people to push meritocracy in all positions in Govt instead of fighting on corruption????

What is the point of having honest men/women in power who are not competent, qualified, experienced etc… take example of Obama who failed big time in delivering any of his promises!.

Well, you all can wait till the cows come home or even forever but nothing much will change. As I said earlier, the tragedy is that educated people have somehow got caught in this euphoria & feel “unpad gawars” can really change this country – LOL !!!

Last edited:
Unless the main discourse in the country changes to "competence & meritocracy", nothing will change !!!. we will continue to muddle/mess around in terms of development, safety, social security, medical care etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back