• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Some silly, childish, selfish, amoral atheists and agnostics

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nara

Non-believers and free thinkers come in all sorts of varieties and dispositions. They cover the entire spectrum of any ideology one can think of, political, economic, profession, culture, sexual orientation, etc. Not long ago Subbudu sir wrote about a great Indian atheist Goparaju Ramachandra, aka Gora. This gave me the idea to research and present the names of some famous and not-so-famous atheists in this thread.

I will start with two most recognizable names who are also the two top philanthropists in world history, (i) Warren Buffett ($30.7 billion) and (ii) Bill Gates ($29 billion).

Warren Buffett:
From "Buffett: The Making of an American Capitalist", by Roger Lowenstein, page 13.
"He did not subscribe to his family’s religion. Even at a young age he was too mathematical, too logical, to make the leap of faith. He adopted his father’s ethical underpinnings, but not his belief in an unseen divinity.”

Bill Gates:
From an interview by David Frost PBS (November 1995)
Frost: Do you believe in the Sermon on the Mount?

Gates: I don't. I'm not somebody who goes to church on a regular basis. The specific elements of Christianity are not something I'm a huge believer in. There's a lot of merit in the moral aspects of religion. I think it can have a very very positive impact.

Frost: I sometimes say to people, do you believe there is a god, or do you know there is a god? And, you'd say you don't know?

Gates: In terms of doing things I take a fairly scientific approach to why things happen and how they happen. I don't know if there's a god or not, but I think religious principles are quite valid.

To me it is kind of puzzling to note that Gates says he does not believe in the Sermon on the Mount -- the few places in Bible that are clearly moral -- and yet he says there is lot of merit in the moral aspects of religion. Perhaps he is saying that he rejects the historicity of the SOM, but likes the moral principles enshrined in it.

Cheers!

The next one is a world renowned astrophysicist. NASA named their X-ray observatory after him. A Nobel laureate with a very familiar name, Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar.

Please take a look at the transcript of this interview he gave in 1987, here. About 60% of the way down (or search for "atheist"), talking about a colleague of his, Chandra says,

"Of course, he knew I was an atheist, and he never brought up the subject with me.
"

It is interesting to observe that if this self-proclaimed atheist were to join this forum and express this view under a moniker, he would be termed a self-loathing brahmin, foreigner-worshipping Indian, immature, childlike, and would have been given the middle finger as a matter of duty ordained by BG and thrown to the dogs -- all the while attracting loads of "Likes" from the jalra caucus.

:) or should I say LOL?

Cheers!

I have yet to come across a muslim scientist who says he is an Atheist.
Correct me if I am wrong.

You can quote Jawahalal Nehru a well known Atheist.Akashmiri Pandit by Birth.
Alwan

Atheist by their belief system do not become silly, childish, selfish, amoral

Atheism is another faith. There are many intelligent people with admirable character that do not profess to have a 'personal God'.
Besides 'personal God' is personal matter and many do not like to talk about in public. Regardless there are great many atheists and agnostics who have done great thing in the world and are exemplary citizens.

There are 'silly, childish, selfish' people from all faiths including Atheism.

If someone denigrates an entire culture or tradition or they put down scriptures of any great tradition or propagate negativity of their own ancestors (which is equivalent to 'selling one's own grand-ma' in my view) then they are immature, childish and silly regardless of their faith or lack of a faith!

Just because someone is a person of faith does not make them a good person either. In the end it comes down to decent behavior, character, and how they relate to other beings including human beings.

From one physicist atheist of the modern era (Chandra) to a pair of ancient physicists and confirmed atheists -- a pair among the earliest ones in recorded human history -- Leucippus and his pupil Democritus.

These two pre-Socrates free thinkers theorized a world made up of atoms. To them the world was spheroid, there were many worlds and many suns, and that all things manifest in nature were comprised of atoms bound together.

Atheism even in those early times promoted natural justice and compassion. Democritus wanted governments to aid the poor. He appealed to the rich to be generous. He was for a heavy dose of estate tax as he thought hoarding wealth to be left behind for children is a mark of greed.

Some of what I read about him was amazing, he advocated contentment, free of envy or admiration, free of over indulgence -- one may see some similarities with the teachings of BG sans religiosity and faith.

Democritus it seems was known as the "Laughing Philosopher," indicative of his scoffing rejection of faith and gods.

Please take a moment and read about these two great free thinkers here and here.

Cheers!

To me I feel Atheism is a form of frustration.So far most of the Athiest I have come across are a frustrated lot.
Yet to meet anyone who was born into Atheism.
Some bitter experience in life made most of them atheist and in this Ex Hindus come tops.

Most atheist are always looking for some great scientist as a yard stick.
Why dont anyone look for a common man on the streets to compare with.
I have seen some real simple people who dont subscribe to the idea of God and are such gems in terms of qualities.
Atheist or Theist we should be confident in our own right.

Last edited:
To me I feel Atheism is a form of frustration.So far most of the Athiest I have come across are a frustrated lot.
Yet to meet anyone who was born into Atheism.
Some bitter experience in life made most of them atheist and in this Ex Hindus come tops.

Renu - The so called Atheists are those that have an idea of God which they reject.
If you get to find out what their thoughts about God are then we will all join hands in rejecting those notions
icon7.png

If someone is comfortable with their atheism ( a faith) they usually do not talk about it or challenge anyone or put anyone down.
However those that argue seemingly seeking validation with others are a confused lot that makes them a frustrated lot !

Renu - The so called Atheists are those that have an idea of God which they reject.
If you get to find out what their thoughts about God are then we will all join hands in rejecting those notions
icon7.png

If someone is comfortable with their atheism ( a faith) they usually do not talk about it or challenge anyone or put anyone down.
However those that argue seemingly seeking validation with others are a confused lot that makes them a frustrated lot !

Yes you have a valid point..we can only reject something that exists and we don't like.
Its not possible to reject something that doesn't exist.

See like us Theist we don't go looking to put down any Atheist.Its always the other way round but when we defend ourselves as a normal human reflex they think that our building is crumbling down.
We have the right to defend when "attacked".

I wonder if an Atheist falls off a cliff what will he scream? Wonder how to conduct this test?

Last edited:
I wonder why we should spend our time finding meaning for words "God", "Atheism", "Theism" etc. which are just academic acrobatics. Instead why can't we try to be a good human beings so long we live by helping each other and the community. Ultimately our search is for happiness , which cannot be found outside of us.

"Always do good to others. Be selfless. Mentally remove everything and be free.
This is divine life. This is the direct way to Moksha or salvation.
"
Swami Sivananda

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

hi
many 'naasthikas ' were" aasthikas' in their purvasrama,,,,,,they know abt god better than aasthikas...MK knows manu smriti

than others.....so called atheist learn more abt god exists than theists....they were theists...due to some personal bad experences...

they became atheists.....nobody is by birth atheists.....they are not born athiests,,,,they are called naturalised athisests....like

converted atheists.....

regards
tbs

Most atheist are always looking for some great scientist as a yard stick.
Why dont anyone look for a common man on the streets to compare with.
I have seen some real simple people who dont subscribe to the idea of God and are such gems in terms of qualities.
Atheist or Theist we should be confident in our own right.

Very pertinent point. Theists do not go about saying I believe in God, so does a Sankaracharya or a jeeyar or a priest etc. Theists do not need crutches.

Regards,

narayan

From one physicist atheist of the modern era (Chandra) to a pair of ancient physicists and confirmed atheists -- a pair among the earliest ones in recorded human history -- Leucippus and his pupil Democritus.

These two pre-Socrates free thinkers theorized a world made up of atoms. To them the world was spheroid, there were many worlds and many suns, and that all things manifest in nature were comprised of atoms bound together.

Atheism even in those early times promoted natural justice and compassion. Democritus wanted governments to aid the poor. He appealed to the rich to be generous. He was for a heavy dose of estate tax as he thought hoarding wealth to be left behind for children is a mark of greed.

Some of what I read about him was amazing, he advocated contentment, free of envy or admiration, free of over indulgence -- one may see some similarities with the teachings of BG sans religiosity and faith.

Democritus it seems was known as the "Laughing Philosopher," indicative of his scoffing rejection of faith and gods.

Please take a moment and read about these two great free thinkers here and here.

Cheers!

Nara it is a wonder that when all you are doing is just put forward the names of famous atheists, there has to be this degree of backlash. Looks like the theists are yet to find that god which makes them self contended , calm, neutral, friendly and all the other positive adjectives that can be found in the English dictionary.
In none of your post, definitely not in this thread, you have denigrated any theist , yet this backlash.

Nara it is a wonder that when all you are doing is just put forward the names of famous atheists, there has to be this degree of backlash. Looks like the theists are yet to find that god which makes them self contended , calm, neutral, friendly and all the other positive adjectives that can be found in the English dictionary.
In none of your post, definitely not in this thread, you have denigrated any theist , yet this backlash.

Dont you think its so much fun? You know when you drive a car at breakneck speed and then apply emergency brakes you get a whiplash.

So take it the same way here..we all are playing a game here and driving at high speed..you know there is a slight "high" feeling when you drive at high speed.Have you ever tried that on an empty highway at your place?
Admit it both Theist and Atheist in this forum need each other for that dopamine surge!!

Hey you know what? I dont find you calm,neutral and friendly too..so care to join me in a game of high speed chase?
We can both go speeding/driving looking for God on the highway of life.

Last edited:
Dont you think its so much fun? You know when you drive a car at breakneck speed and then apply emergency brakes you get a whiplash.

So take it the same way here..we all are playing a game here and driving at high speed..you know there is a slight "high" feeling when you drive at high speed.Have you ever tried that on an empty highway at your place?
Admit it both Theist and Atheist in this forum need each other for that dopamine surge!!

Hey you know what? I dont find you calm,neutral and friendly too..so care to join me in a game of high speed chase?

Dear Renuka,

It is indeed fun driving at high speed on a free highway challenging every one on the way. But when you apply the brakes be sure that the whiplash does not result in the C3, C4, C5 prolapse. It can be even worse. You may end up with weights hanging from your hospital bed pulling your neck up if it is a conservative treatment without surgery. Cheers.

Last edited:
Dear Renuka,

It is indeed fun driving at high speed on a free highway challenging every one on the way. But when you apply the brakes be sure that the whiplash does not result in the C4, C5, C6 prolapse. It can be even worse. You may end up with weights hanging from your hospital bed pulling your neck up if it is a conservative treatment. Cheers.

See life is a challenge..you either make it or break(brake) it..C4 C5 C 6 and all.

We are not expected to be self contended or calm or friendly. We are supposed to be atheists. But the look for an ideal god and his ideal followers continue to enchant us to live in this world of skepticism.

We are not expected to be self contended or calm or friendly. We are supposed to be atheists. But the look for an ideal god and his ideal followers continue to enchant us to live in this world of skepticism.

There is no written rule either Theist have to be calm,contended and friendly.
So we are even again.See there is not much difference!!! We are humans..thats all.
I am a Theist and I can be a pest too.

Last edited:
There is no written rule either Theist have to be calm,contended and friendly.
So we are even again.See there is not much difference!!! We are humans..thats all.
I am a Theist and I can be a pest too.

Oh God! What a theist this ........and ..what a charming deadly pest!!

Last edited:
Some in the thread said that "finding meaning for words "God", "Atheism", "Theism" etc. which are just academic acrobatics" What exactly is "academic acrobatics"

Some in the thread said that "finding meaning for words "God", "Atheism", "Theism" etc. which are just academic acrobatics" What exactly is "academic acrobatics"

Hi long time no see!!Had seen your profile in FB once when I was still in FB.
Ok let me start off..for me I feel Academic Acrobatics is when the brain has nothing to do and synapses just randomly depolarize in other words we are really bored.

Nice to see you after so long.

Last edited:
You can brake or break but not prolapse-if push comes to a shove it can immobilise you.

Ok when that happens i will donate myself to science for experiments.
Anyway I dont get chance to speed these days cos Police are very active in highways.
Those were the days..when I could be King of the Road when it was empty.
But you know the best thing is still this..when no one is on the road go full speed over a speed breaker.You can feel the car jump a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back