• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Solar eclipse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Friends.
Yesterday it was soorya grahana and our vadhyar asked some bRAHMINS to perform some Parihara kiryas as the solar eclipse was dosha to their birth stars.
MY doubt is that the sun and Moon are many light years away from us and the Eclipse we see today may have happened many days/months back.
How is it That the parihara is done to the days star when we see eclipse rather than the day when the eclipse would have happened? Would be happy to receive various views, opinions and information pertaining to my query that would help me to gain some knowledge.
with pongal greetings to all
kr subramanian

Subramainam,

Sun/Moon are not far away as you mentioned in light years. Only stars are far away and the distances are measured in light years.

Moon is 384,403 kilometers (238,857 mi) away from earth. Speed of light is 300,000 km/sec, so it would take less than two seconds. The mean distance of the Sun from the Earth is approximately 149.6 million kilometers, at this average distance, light travels from the Sun to Earth in about 8 minutes and 19 seconds.

Otherwise, I don’t know the significance of eclipses. I noticed sick people usually die on full moon/new moon days in my village, so there would be some gravitational impact on human health and psychology during those days.

....Otherwise, I don’t know the significance of eclipses. I noticed sick people usually die on full moon/new moon days in my village, so there would be some gravitational impact on human health and psychology during those days.

Hello Ramansrini, watching the sun when the moon comes in between cast a shadow on the face of the earth is spectacular to watch, especially if the moon obscures the entire sun. The only bad thing one needs to watch out for is UV and IR rays burning the retina. This may happen as the dimmed sunlight during eclipse may result in the pupils not constricting sufficiently and therefore letting in the rays that may damage the retina. This is why direct viewing of the total eclipse is far less dangerous than direct viewing of partial eclipse.

Related to this is the damage that can result from regular gazing at the sun, like what observant brahmins do during surya namaskaram of Madhyanhikam.

Anything else about solar or lunar eclipse are just superstitions.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back