• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Sodakumbham and masikam

rvramani02

The monthly sodakumbam and masigam rituals for my mother started last month.
I don't have the facility at home. First month, I did outside at others house. But the quality is not appreciable and not worth the money 4000 fir the cooking etc.
Masikam also a 15 minute ritual and vadyar demands 1000+ 1000+ 1000 to do.
So monthly it becomes approx 9000/.
Though I want to do, the charges, I feel prohibitive.
I need a simpler way of doing the kriyas. Don't know the expenses are justified and if there is an acceptable alternative available, I will do that.
Suggest replies / advice from out group scholars

I have been doing this sodakumbham & Maasikam for the last 8 months as Hirayanam way ie instead of lunch for Vadhayar we give 2 raw bananas. 1kg rice & about 250 gms of tur dal. Vadhayar fees is 2000.00 first day & 3000.00 for second day. This is at Gurgaon.

I don't have the facility at home. First month, I did outside at others house. But the quality is not appreciable and not worth the money 4000 fir the cooking etc.
I need a simpler way of doing the kriyas. Don't know the expenses are justified and if there is an acceptable alternative available, I will do that.
Sir

I am not aware of your financial status, and hence I cannot say anything on that aspeect.

But these rituals should be done as per the Vedic traditions only, The costs have escalated now for all items, and the same is with Vadyar Dakshinai also.

I have been doing the monthly Masigam and Shodakumbam for my father for the past nine months, at Bangalore. The Dakshinai for Vadyar on both days comes to Rs 3,000/- per day. The Brahmana Dakshinai is Rs 1,500/- per head. The cost should be similar at Chennai also. The cost of Samayal Mami comes to Rs 5000/- per day. We are four brothers and hence the cost is shared by us.

If you want to do these rituals traditionally, then this is the only way.

Some people do the 45-days Oonam and then do the next Masigam in the 6th month and then at the end of one year. But this 'short-cut' method is not accepted by most of the religious scholars.

If you are living at Chennai and want to do it monthly, you can try at Sri Rama Theertham (at Valluvar Salai, Ramapuram. (044-64565556), though I am not aware of the cost.

Ofcourse you always have exceptions, depending on your family situation.
But doing these rituals at home with your family Vadhyar is the best option.

In Chennai at Ramavaram there us a Brahmin rites performing place. This is a small lane from Guindy main road. Please check it. But I really don't know the charges but hire charges for room are reasonable. As far food there is arrangements and no need for seperate cook. Moreover if you need food for family inform numbers of peoples and pay it. The service is very good and food is served very cordial and to satisfaction.

One thing I must mention, today everything goes under contract. Sastrigals responsibility is really poor. During my mother's death ceremony 13th day the main Sastrigal didn't bother about the main rituals. The Navagraha pooja, they totally forget everything. Then only rice is spread and 9 squares were drawn and he simply draw letters by Dharbhai. I was observing it and he out of stale smile saying this way of putting is more Sacret. My ears were peirced as per old tradition 65+ years ago. He forget, colour cloths, vessels and Nava Dhaniams, flowers. The main issue is after Navagraha pooja these were given to others as dhanam and blessings. Moreover there was no reduction for not bringing these items. They even don't carry Panchangam with them. Their lame excuse everything is in the Mobile. But with their age and limited screen view is it possible to depend on the mobile. A barber has be with his k ife and soap which is primary. Sastrigal should carry Panchangam Book. In old times if we go to Sastrigals house and if Sastrigal is not there his wife is more knowledgeable and will give you an expert advice to clear your stress and you reach home happily.
Kali Kalam we have to endure these.

I have been doing this sodakumbham & Maasikam for the last 8 months as Hirayanam way ie instead of lunch for Vadhayar we give 2 raw bananas. 1kg rice & about 250 gms of tur dal. Vadhayar fees is 2000.00 first day & 3000.00 for second day. This is at Gurgaon.
Today in the IT money Sastrigals thinks every one is earning from IT. It is not the reality. As far as fees if the Sastrigals are purely depend upon Vaideegham then we must support it. Because hotels food Rs.500.00 is very common. So by cost factor fees we may consider. But the main pain is they take cuts from the brahmalas their amount. This is like treating them as slaves and hold control. Recently I happen to see and hear from Humour Club, Tiruvallikeni, Chennai Mr.Sankaran that in Brahmins a particular person take part in death rituals during the 12 days.(they mentioned particular name for the person for that day, which i forgot) They are not valued or honored. The Humour Club has invited them all as far as they could know and contacts with their wife and given them respect and offered them Veshti and Pudavai, food and they all ate with them. Because they are valued as their presence of that ritual during our departure is more important for our final journeys. So Sastrigals should value each other and don't be businessman in performing rituals. It is always said as much as you give sure you get 10 times of that. Helping Brahmin Community by proper rituals to their capacity and to their satisfaction is more important.
I don't appreciate sweets are more important and fruits are more important. A person died of Diabetes and we eat sweets and fruits prohibited for him during his life time.
So whoever brahmin coming ask them what they will eat and cook that and serve them. That us the best.
In Chinmyananda Mission one swamy said an experience. His deciple and student getting married and she made it sure that Swamiji attends her wedding. Generally they don't go as being Brahmacharis. On the wedding day the girl refused to take the ritual of Mangalya Dharani saying I wait swami's presence. Telephone call to swami and he said I am held up so you please get married and I will join you. Again after that she refused food till Swamiji come. Her father called Swamiji. Swamiji said we don't eat food prepared by general. So our food to be prepared separately. They agreed and choice was asked. Swamiji said just rice, dal with little Chatni that is enough. They were made and by the time Swamiji also arrived. The bride made a seat next the couples to eat along with them. Swamiji said no no I can't sit here. But I will eat in that room far away but in eyesight view. You can see me eating. So like that it went.
Swamiji says may be the girl out of respect expect me to eat with them. But marriage is a life time Happy event. While eating all family enjoy with the couples with laugher and fun of couples. If I sit with them the whole life's joy and happiness will be ruined. Public and relatives will curse me. The girl had no brain but what happened to the learned Swamiji? He doesn't have reasoning?
So the events secret should be preserved wherever it is. Our Hindu Death rituals should not be measured or weighed by money demand.

thank you for the repl sir. Now I am doing both sadakumbam and masikam hiranya roopam

Latest ads

Back