• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Simplest meditation - silence

Status
Not open for further replies.
A student went to a sage to ask about the Meaning of Life & how to attain the direct experience of The Highest.

He asked his question, but the sage gave no answer. He sat mum.

Again, the student asked about how to find and fulfill the Purpose of Life. Again no answer.

The student tried different words,ways and appealed with great emotion. But no answer.

Finally, the student became frustrated & Angry. He shouted out in an angry tone," Why
don't you answer me."

The sage smiled & said,"I have been answering you,but you were not listening.The answer
you are looking for is to be found only in SILENCE."

TO SIT IN STILLNESS AND SILENCE FOR EVEN A FEW MINUTES EACH DAY THINKING & PRAYING TO THE ALMIGHTY IS A MIRACLE MEDICINE & EXERCISE

Last edited:
Sir:

Once a gentleman went to see Bhagawan Ramana to get some upadesa. Bhagawan
does not do this. He became a frequent visitor to the Ashram in his quest for TRUTH.
Bhagawan kept silent always.

One day when the gentleman was sitting in the library at ramanashram, he was going
thru' a book called yoga vasishta. He came across the line - the interval between
two thoughts is your SELF. He was glad that he got the answer. He used to chant
the mantra - RAM RAM. He thought RAM is one thought and RAM is the second one.
If he can increase the interval between these two thoughts he will be able to realise
the SELF. There is a subtle interval between these two thoughts and one has to
practise to increase the interval, which is done in silence only. Bhagawan has blessed
him thus.

This gentleman was professor and HOD of physics dept in Americal college ,Madurai.
I dont think he is alive now because he was 94 about 10 years ago. Truth is always
realised in silence.

Lord Dakshinamurthy instructed his four disciples thru' silence only. It is eloquent.
I have given another incident involving Ramana Maharishi in these columns about a
year ago.

Meditative Breathing is a simple yet deceptively powerful technique that can be used for relaxation. When practiced on a daily basis, it will also change your relationship with your thoughts. This can aid in emotional regulation by helping you "see" the true nature of your thinking mind, which is: Your mind has a mind of its own and not all your thoughts are helpful or even true. In addition, as you meditate and become distracted by thoughts, you will practice letting go of them, which will also help with emotional regulation. After all, it is frequently the inability to let go of certain patterns of thinking that fuels anxiety, depression, and anger.
How to Practice Meditative Breathing

1. Assume a comfortable sitting posture.
  2. Close your eyes, keep your spine straight, and let your shoulders drop a bit.
  3. Bring your attention to your belly, noticing it rise gently with each in-breath and fall with each out-breath. The rise and fall of your abdomen as you breathe will be the focus of this meditation.
  4. Keep the focus on your breathing - the rise and fall of the belly - “being with” each in-breath for its full duration and with each out-breath for its full duration, as if riding the waves of your own breathing.
  5. Every time you notice your attention has wandered, notice where your attention has gone, then gently bring it back to the rise and fall of the belly as you breathe.
  6. If your mind wanders a hundred times, then your “job” is simply to bring it back, non-judgmentally, a hundred times. By non-judgmentally I mean you do not judge the fact that your mind has wandered - because that's what minds do! You simply bring your attention back to the rise and fall of your belly without judgment.
That's it! That's Meditative Breathing. Practice it for 15 minutes, once or twice a day, and see the benefits accrue over time. You can not do Meditative Breathing wrong if you do
4-Sedona-032small.jpg
it. Thoughts of "I am doing this wrong" or "This is not working" are simply more distracting thoughts to let go of as you meditate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back