• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Silk Sarees New Condition, Want to Give to someone who can use it.

Hello everyone,
I have few silk sarees from kanchipuram which were worn only once and since then remain unused.

Since its been practice to get gifted or self purchase new sarees for every occassion the collection keeps only growing in the name of latest trends.

Of late, silk cotton and other cotton based collections seems to interest me and is comfortable . So these silk sarees are not being used by me at all, also no such occassion to use them.

I would like to donate the sarees (Extremely good in condition) to those in need, like any young girls who are getting married and require support. They can use this as extra sarees in their wardrobe during and after marriage may be.

Those who can afford to buy please excuse.

Its better to share with someone who uses it than to leave it in my wardrobe now that i dont get much occassion to wear them.
Please communicate if there are girls who require such support. Thanks all, namaste !!!

From one Visalakshi to another! :)

The saris may be unused and almost new.

But old silk saris would go 'phat - phat' ( justifying their name as pattu sari) when worn after long intervals.

So please go ahead and donate them if the saris are also new.

But if they are old, it is better that you exchange them for ready cash with one of the dealers who buy silk saris - especially the ones with heavy brocade work.

I as well as all my sisters never bought very costly silk saris
( costing 5 figures! and fondly named as 'sasikala-saris')

We would rather buy more simple saris for the same amount of money so that they can be worn more often - while visiting temples and friends; during travels and festivals and other family functions.

My parents did not encourage us to spend a lot of money on a sari which we may be able to use only once on the wedding day.

We can't even wear them to the other weddings - since we may steal the limelight from the actual bride!

I salute your noble thought and at the same time I want to make sure that the recipient does not cut a sorry figure in a gathering -due to the sari going phat-phat quite unexpectedly.

Most brahmin women from tamilnadu end up with huge collection of silk sarees collected over the years hardly

worn.

As they grow old and become senior citizens , they tend to opt for cotton .

Most face the dilemma as to what to do with their huge collection..

Donation might be misunderstood by the recipient.Getting money for it, well off would not like.

These days which youngster would like to have a silk saree collection?

Storing them becomes an issue and maintaining the saree collection calls for huge effort.

There are sentiments attached to a saree collection.Many get nostalgic and remember occasions when they

were bought such as engagement, marriage,birthday .Over the years the sarees simply pile up. When it is to be

given away ,many feel a sense of regret that a little of their past is going away with it. Man is judged by the

number of wardrobes he buys in addition to the sarees he buys for his spouse.

Please donate the sarees to THULI in Adyar . It is an non profit organisation. They collected the clothes and give it to the poor people. You have to search THULI in google, the details of the video came. Phone numbers are 9080812418, 6380306662. Mahaperiyava Padham Sharanam

Please donate the sarees to THULI in Adyar . It is an non profit organisation. They collected the clothes and give it to the poor people. You have to search THULI in google, the details of the video came. Phone numbers are 9080812418, 6380306662. Mahaperiyava Padham Sharanam

Thank you Santhavasanji.

‘Shopping Mall’ For The Lesser-Privileged: This Chennai-store Is Making It Happen
The clothes are collected from across the country, meticulously sorted based on its quality and then laundered before being put neatly on display

Thuli, a store in Chennai, was launched after three entrepreneurs realised that the underprivileged would not be able to see the inside of a mall. Thus, their incredible efforts to treat the disadvantaged as equals makes for a heartwarming story. Aiming to bridge the gap in the society, ‘Thuli’ – the brainchild of Shivaji Prabhakar, Jeybala and Ajith Kumar – was launched on February 18.

Adorned with fine interiors akin to a store inside a shopping mall, ‘Thuli’ soon became a place where the needy could get clothes, handbags, toys and women’s accessories without having to pay anything. The clothes available at the store are collected from people across the country, meticulously sorted based on its quality and then laundered before being put neatly on display.

thuli1-1-300x199.jpg

‘Thuli’ teams up with NGOs, who work closely with the underprivileged, for distribution of the vouchers that they can use to shop at the store. One can walk up to the store with vouchers of Rs 1,000 and Rs 500, which are distributed and exchange them for commodities available. The opportunity to choose from a variety of items gives the underprivileged happiness and a chance to bury the feeling of living on charity.
In addition to providing clothes and accessories to the needy, the owners of ‘Thuli’ have also taken it upon themselves to instill the need for menstrual hygiene among the disadvantaged. Every woman who walks into the store is given three packets of branded sanitary napkins. A coupon is handed over along with the packets which can be redeemed for three more napkins after three months.

thuli2-300x200.jpg

Thuli chennai 2

Charged with the motive of uplifting the quality of life of the underprivileged, the owners of ‘Thuli’ maintain a directory of people who come to the store. The data is then shared with NGOs who work towards fulfilling their other needs.

From a small initiative to bring a change in the society to bringing smiles to over a 1000 faces, ‘Thuli’ has become successful by working on the principles that everyone knows, but only a few follow.

Last edited:
What about donating it to older workers or older cleaners ..vegetable vendors or the poor?
Its easier cos surely they would appreciate it more.

Young girls would want latest sarees and not older ones.

It is the men"s clothes which are given to sanitory workers, rickshsaw pullers and the like.

Silk sarees could be given to domestic workers like those who do household jobs like cleaning, washing clothes

or kitchen work..

Older ones would appreciate silk sarees and younger ones would take them and convert them into Kameezes .

Many would accept only to resell it for buying utencils.

Latest ads

Back