• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Shraddha Tithi Calculator

Merely saying 28.01.2008 will not help. Have to give time and place of death. Pl.check with your relatives and house acharya.
Vaazhga Valatthudan.
R.Ramaswami

Sorry. my father passed away on 28/01/2008 around 7:35 am in chennai. can you please let me know date to perform the thevasam, this year?

Anyone who has performed thithi righteously before should know how to calculate basic thithi.. I apologise for my frankness but if your father passed away in 2008 and you still dont know the thithi after 16 years then you are not doing the thevasam in an appropriate manner.

I am not being rude. I am just being plain. If you dont know how to find the basic day of devasam after 16 years then you have basically been lip-syncing the mantras after the iyer who is conducting the rituals. Probably the lip-syncing is also not correct.. Next time tell the brahmanan that you have time and try to get the utcharippu right for the mantras and ask what they mean. These little things help in assuaging the soul that passed away.

Anyway, the answer to your question lies with the last brahmanan who conducted the most recent devasam for your father. Good luck.

My father passed away on the 28th of Jan 2008. can anyone tell the date to perform the thevasam, this year?
Thanks
Dear Sir,
There has been no answer yet.
Why dont you consult a priest?
There are also online calculators but not sure how accurate it is.
So the best is go to a temple and ask a priest so that there isnt any delay.

Regards

Sorry. my father passed away on 28/01/2008 around 7:35 am in chennai. can you please let me know date to perform the thevasam, this year?
Here it is essential to see which of the calendar month is followed in your family, viz whether Souramana( Solar calendar system) or Chandramana ( Lunar Calendar system) Souramana calendar is widely followed in Tamil Nadu and Kerala, while Chandramana calendar is followed in Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh and Telengana. However, there are cases where, some families follow one calendar for birthdates and the other for Tithis. The exact calendar followed can be ascertained from elders in the family or House Brahaspati.
As per Drik Panchangam, 28th January 2008 07.35 a.m falls on Monday, Shashti Tithi Krishna Paksham in Thai Masam (Tamil month). Krishna Shashti Pausha month.

Thus if you are following the Souramanta calendar, this year you father’s thithi will be on January 31. However if you are following the Chandramana calendar, father’s thithi will be in Pausha month, Bahula Shashti, which is also on 31st January.
Do ascertain the tradition followed, to find out the correct date for performing the tharpana.

Anyone who has performed thithi righteously before should know how to calculate basic thithi.. I apologise for my frankness but if your father passed away in 2008 and you still dont know the thithi after 16 years then you are not doing the thevasam in an appropriate manner.

I am not being rude. I am just being plain. If you dont know how to find the basic day of devasam after 16 years then you have basically been lip-syncing the mantras after the iyer who is conducting the rituals. Probably the lip-syncing is also not correct.. Next time tell the brahmanan that you have time and try to get the utcharippu right for the mantras and ask what they mean. These little things help in assuaging the soul that passed away.

Anyway, the answer to your question lies with the last brahmanan who conducted the most recent devasam for your father. Good luck.
You can check for the Tamil
panchangams Online or any vadhyars or astrologers who preserve old year Tamil panchangams from which corresponding Tamil or chandramana based 1.month (for the date of demise mentioned) 2.paksham 3.thithi are the basic things needed to observe every year correctly

You can check for the Tamil
panchangams Online or any vadhyars or astrologers who preserve old year Tamil panchangams from which corresponding Tamil or chandramana based 1.month (for the date of demise mentioned) 2.paksham 3.thithi are the basic things needed to observe every year correctly
Sila Pala Vishayangal open-a solla koodadhu Swamin. This thithi information is one of the few things that differentiates proper brahmanas from wanna-be americans.

Here it is essential to see which of the calendar month is followed in your family, viz whether Souramana( Solar calendar system) or Chandramana ( Lunar Calendar system) Souramana calendar is widely followed in Tamil Nadu and Kerala, while Chandramana calendar is followed in Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh and Telengana. However, there are cases where, some families follow one calendar for birthdates and the other for Tithis. The exact calendar followed can be ascertained from elders in the family or House Brahaspati.
As per Drik Panchangam, 28th January 2008 07.35 a.m falls on Monday, Shashti Tithi Krishna Paksham in Thai Masam (Tamil month). Krishna Shashti Pausha month.

Thus if you are following the Souramanta calendar, this year you father’s thithi will be on January 31. However if you are following the Chandramana calendar, father’s thithi will be in Pausha month, Bahula Shashti, which is also on 31st January.
Do ascertain the tradition followed, to find out the correct date for performing the tharpana.
Dear Sir.. Do you realise this person does not know basics?? what he needs is a proper vadhyar and some patience to learn his own paaramparyam.

To my knowledge the first thing every brahmin is told on his parents passing are the thithi details. These are elementary, easy to understand and are not usually forgotten. And this sanac seems to claim that he has been doing devasam for about 16 years. This leads me to doubt the handles veracity regarding who he claims to be and what he is trying to do.

I hope I presented my case in a simple and clear manner here.

Last edited:

Latest ads

Back