• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Shoulder arthroscopy surgery this week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi friends, I am all set to undergo the surgery this saturday. I am very very scared of general anesthesia. Whenever i get to think of it, my breathe chokes, i tend to breathe faster, i feel a block around the chest area, all because of my anxious nature. I am not worried about the surgery as such, but the time between they prepare me for anestheisa and the time they give anesthesia. I feel the pressure will slowly and surely build up and I have a feeling I might get up and run away from the bed before they give anesthesia. Is there anyway you guys know of which will help me relax before the procedure. I know many of my fears are unfounded, but i am not able to get over it. The more i think about the more fearful I get. Kindly help.
Thanks
Ram

Hi friends, I am all set to undergo the surgery this saturday. I am very very scared of general anesthesia. Whenever i get to think of it, my breathe chokes, i tend to breathe faster, i feel a block around the chest area, all because of my anxious nature. I am not worried about the surgery as such, but the time between they prepare me for anestheisa and the time they give anesthesia. I feel the pressure will slowly and surely build up and I have a feeling I might get up and run away from the bed before they give anesthesia. Is there anyway you guys know of which will help me relax before the procedure. I know many of my fears are unfounded, but i am not able to get over it. The more i think about the more fearful I get. Kindly help.
Thanks
Ram

As a doctor..I have seen many like this..you know its really hard to get over fears..
Ok I will give you tips..

1) 1st think this: Your condition is not life threatening..so half the battle is already won.

2) Try to think..This is a dream.. I will be out of it soon.

3)Try to think anything before surgery that will help you relax may be some funny incident in life or some funny cartoon you saw in your childhood.

4)Dont think anything negative..dont think Aiyoo what if something happens to me?

5)Dont allow any crying type of relatives to see you before surgery ..they will add to your anxiety.

6)If you believe in God recite some prayers mentally in a less formal way or mentally sing some catchy Bhajan.

7)If you dont believe in God..sing some nice inspirational song.

8) When you get up after procedure you will see bright lights and hear muffled sounds around..Dont panic that just the OT lights and medical staff talking..not and out of body experience and you are still alive.

9) If you are male..check out some nurses or female docs while you are being prepared for surgery(Silently)
If you are female no harm checking out some hot male docs there..see its in your mind..no one knows!!!

10)Last but not least..when you are done with the procedure and well again..Let us know..how you felt.

Thank you very much! Just made me realise there were so many funny incidents in my life. :) I am a male and Point 9 seems to be the easiest and best option ;) Hope I find a few.

I'll keep you posted how it went.

rhind,

i have been under general a few times, and prefer it any day to local. i am not too keen to know what is happening to one part of my body while the rest of me functions.

full sleep and waking up works for me.

i usually utter siva's name when the anesthesia is adminsitered and i am gone, before i can do it 10 times. there is (or supposed to be) an anestheologist near you all the time. so not to worry that you will suddenly get up and walk away.

even the first walk would be sort of wobbly.

renu's notes are great. particularly re pretty nurses. i have had some great nurses, but i do not remember any of their physical attributes. guess, there was no marilyn monroe or vidya balan there, but it does not matter. you feel their presence only for a few minutes before the medicine takes over.

do not fear. best wishes.

renu's notes are great. particularly re pretty nurses. i have had some great nurses, but i do not remember any of their physical attributes. guess, there was no marilyn monroe or vidya balan there, but it does not matter. you feel their presence only for a few minutes before the medicine takes over.

do not fear. best wishes.

Hmm, here comes Vidya Balan again! I think it should pretty much be a binding requirement in hospitals catering to Tamil Brahmins that the nurses either look like Vidya Balan or Vyjyanthimala Bali, who seem to be the perennial favorites. The only problem is that that may upset some of the docs like Dr. Renuka...

But jokes aside, best wishes to Mr. rhind for a speedy recovery.

Thanks Kunjuppu/Biswa. You have set my expectations too high by mentioning Vidhya Balan/Vyjyanthimala Bali. :) Given that i am in Singapore, I will have to settle for some Li Nas rather than Vidhya. :) I believe remembering this thread itself will relax me a lot. :)

Hmm, here comes Vidya Balan again! I think it should pretty much be a binding requirement in hospitals catering to Tamil Brahmins that the nurses either look like Vidya Balan or Vyjyanthimala Bali, who seem to be the perennial favorites. The only problem is that that may upset some of the docs like Dr. Renuka...

But jokes aside, best wishes to Mr. rhind for a speedy recovery.

Hey Biswa,

I knew you would say this..Its Ok..we will have Vidya Balan in the TB ward and the rest of us will have Mallika Sherawat.

1. If you are a smoker, it is good idea not to smoke for about 6 to 8 hours before surgery.

2. If you suffer usually from 'heart burns', it is a very good idea to let the aneasthesist know about it, well in advance. (they follow a different procedure to put the tube in).

3. Don't forget to get the doctor to prescribe plenty pain relief. You may need them post-surgery when the local wears out. (although general, liberal amount of local aneasthetic would be applied too).

(Hope you get a good looking 'second stage recovery' nurse. You may not be aware of the other stages. So, even 'bindhu kosh' would do in those stages!)

Cheers!

Hey Biswa,

I knew you would say this..Its Ok..we will have Vidya Balan in the TB ward and the rest of us will have Mallika Sherawat.

Dont have Vidya Balan as nurse..only your mortuary will be full.

Good idea to have Mallika Sherawat..all patients will get up and sing "I will Survive"

Hi everyone, I had to eventually cancel my surgery as my insurance cover was not adequate to cover the surgery which was quoted 27k SGD. I am now planning to get it done in Bone and Joint hospital, Chennai. It costs 1,20,000 Rs in Chennai.

Thanks for all your tips and encouragement.

regards,
Ram

best wishes rhind.

i have heard that chennai doctors are as good, if not better than the foreign ones.

good luck this time, to completing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back