• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Sholkam for my parents wellbeing and long life

Pooja Rajnath

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and I wanted to ask about a shlokam to chant by me for my parents well being and long life. A bit of background about me I live in Australia and my parents are in Bangalore and I haven't seen them in about 4 years. Since I am only child I worry about them being so far. Just a small bit from me to take care in spiritual way is there a prayer I can chat for them. Any assistance would be great.

Thank you

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and I wanted to ask about a shlokam to chant by me for my parents well being and long life. A bit of background about me I live in Australia and my parents are in Bangalore and I haven't seen them in about 4 years. Since I am only child I worry about them being so far. Just a small bit from me to take care in spiritual way is there a prayer I can chat for them. Any assistance would be great.

Thank you
I have a small doubt.
a. Will Chanting of slokams will bring happiness in their mind
b. Suggestion of slokam whether it will largely extend the gap 4 years and that papam will come to me?

I have a small doubt.
b. Suggestion of slokam whether it will largely extend the gap 4 years and that papam will come to me?
No it's not either it's something I want to do for them. As I worry about them being so far.

I have a small doubt.
The Bhagavad Gita explains that even the smallest of action can protect one from great danger.

Coming to 4 years gap,
Time in only for humans and creation.
Consciousness is eternal timelessness beyond time.

Mantra recitation with intention of well being of anyone operates in the plane of consciousness which is beyond time and space, hence though the reciter is in Australia and the parents in India yet its effect is instant transfer...very much like an instant transfer of money through a bank.
One might be thousand miles away but money can be transfered instantly to some other person's account.

Bhagavad Gita 2.40
nehabhikrama-nasho ’sti pratyavayo na vidyate
svalpam apyasya dharmasya trayate mahato bhayat​

Translation​

BG 2.40: Working in this state of consciousness, there is no loss or adverse result, and even a little effort saves one from great danger.

The Bhagavad Gita explains that even the smallest of action can protect one from great danger.

Coming to 4 years gap,

Mantra recitation with intention of well being of anyone operates in the plane of consciousness which is beyond time and space, hence though the reciter is in Australia and the parents in India yet its effect is instant transfer...very much like an instant transfer of money through a bank.to
One might be thousand miles away but money can be transfered instantly to some other person's account.

Bhagavad Gita 2.40

Translation​

BG 2.40: Working in this state of consciousness, there is no loss or adverse result, and even a little effort saves one from great danger.
Kindly suggest shlokam to Ms Pooja Rajnath.
My sole aim was to make her visit her parents at the earliest which alone will bring happiness a lot to them. I am not a learned person. As time is only for humans and creation, let us not talk about old age homes or abandoned parents etc. We have time and money to spend a lot for everything for our self-happiness. Taking care of parents gives self-happiness ? it is individual's relationship with them

My sole aim was to make her visit her parents at the earliest which alone will bring happiness a lot to them. I am not a learned person. As time is only for humans and creation, let us not talk about old age homes or abandoned parents etc. We have time and money to spend a lot for everything for our self-happiness. Taking care of parents gives self-happiness ? it is individual's relationship with them
Visiting them is certainly the best option as you had suggested.

I cant suggest any specific shloka as that needs someone who is more learned for specific shlokas.

Coming to 4 years gap,

Mantra recitation with intention of well being of anyone operates in the plane of consciousness which is beyond time and space, hence though the reciter is in Australia and the parents in India yet its effect is instant transfer...very much like an instant transfer of money through a bank.

Bhagavad Gita 2.40

Translation​

Thank you so much for putting it in such a positive way. Thank you for sending me the verse of the Bhagavad Gita

Thank you so much for helping me

Hello everyone,

Thank you
Someone well versed with tradition and rituals are best to give you a sloka you are seeking. So far that has not happened.

Reference to Gita is misplaced and hence I wanted to share this findings with you based on little research online.

If you ask for direction it is better to get right direction than wrong direction.

Gita is for mainly understanding. The citation and translation provided in this thread is from this website below

While literal translation was supplied from this site, if you read the description and commentary it talks about something else unconnected to the issue you raised

For context you can look up the prior sloka

The meaning as stated from that site is, Krishna explaining to Arjuna thus:

"Hitherto, I have explained to you Sānkhya Yog, or analytic knowledge regarding the nature of the soul. Now listen, O Parth, as I reveal Buddhi Yog, or the Yog of Intellect. When you work with such understanding, you will be freed from the bondage of karma."

I usually do not trust commentaries except from very few because I found lots of misinformation in the internet.

Therefore I checked the meaning of Gita 2.40 elsewhere also which makes more sense in the context of Gita verse 2.39. The website with commentaries is full of holes.

The summary meaning that I got was this (paraphrasing)
The verse begins amplification of Karma Yoga and how it protects one and there are no negative effects. Buddhi yoga is same as Karma yoga in this context. I checked Sankara's commentary translation also just to be sure,

Karma yoga is not Karma (like rituals or prayers) but attitude with which one does one's duties.

Clearly the verse 2.40 is not applicable to your question unless you want to study the topic of Karma yoga which is rather involved and non trivial.

Now coming to your question here are my laymen suggestions. Please stay in touch with your parents over the phone or video calls (like whatsapp calls).

Do your duties at home knowing that no person can do anything to change the Prarabdha Karma of another. So by prayer you cannot alter what happens to your parents but you will have mental strength to help them the best way.

If you can visit them do that when possible.

Surrender to God all your worries. You can choose to chant any verse that inspires you to surrender. Simple chanting of names of God is fine. Meditate and everything will be fine because by design everything is fine. Learn to accept life as is. Stop looking for any quick fixes like mantras

All the best

Someone well versed with tradition and rituals are best to give you a sloka you are seeking. So far that has not happened.

Reference to Gita is misplaced and hence I wanted to share this findings with you based on little research online.

If you ask for direction it is better to get right direction than wrong direction.

Gita is for mainly understanding. The citation and translation provided in this thread is from this website below

While literal translation was supplied from this site, if you read the description and commentary it talks about something else unconnected to the issue you raised

For context you can look up the prior sloka

The meaning as stated from that site is, Krishna explaining to Arjuna thus:

"Hitherto, I have explained to you Sānkhya Yog, or analytic knowledge regarding the nature of the soul. Now listen, O Parth, as I reveal Buddhi Yog, or the Yog of Intellect. When you work with such understanding, you will be freed from the bondage of karma."

I usually do not trust commentaries except from very few because I found lots of misinformation in the internet.

Therefore I checked the meaning of Gita 2.40 elsewhere also which makes more sense in the context of Gita verse 2.39. The website with commentaries is full of holes.

The summary meaning that I got was this (paraphrasing)
The verse begins amplification of Karma Yoga and how it protects one and there are no negative effects. Buddhi yoga is same as Karma yoga in this context. I checked Sankara's commentary translation also just to be sure,

Karma yoga is not Karma (like rituals or prayers) but attitude with which one does one's duties.

Clearly the verse 2.40 is not applicable to your question unless you want to study the topic of Karma yoga which is rather involved and non trivial.

Now coming to your question here are my laymen suggestions. Please stay in touch with your parents over the phone or video calls (like whatsapp calls).

Do your duties at home knowing that no person can do anything to change the Prarabdha Karma of another. So by prayer you cannot alter what happens to your parents but you will have mental strength to help them the best way.

If you can visit them do that when possible.

Surrender to God all your worries. You can choose to chant any verse that inspires you to surrender. Simple chanting of names of God is fine. Meditate and everything will be fine because by design everything is fine. Learn to accept life as is. Stop looking for any quick fixes like mantras

All the best
Apty said . I still feel 4 years is a long long gap whatever reasons, money, time etc. Now a days every human emotional need are done thru money. But they fail to understand their need. In my younger days I used purchase costly dhotis for my grandfather. He accepted happily and kept it in cupboard for ever. While I gave him, on the advice of my relation, simple cotton cheaper one, he simply accepted it also with happiness . But this dhoti he started to use daily. I feel we have to understand and respond the feeling of othersides rather than getting good name among our friends circle.

Latest ads

Back