• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Shiva Linga

Status
Not open for further replies.
Namaste,

I hope this is in the right section. If it's not, I apologise. Is the milk and water we pour on the Shiva Linga represenative of the Ganga coming down from heaven and catching on Shiva's head/hair and coming safely to the earth? If this is wrong, I'd like to know what it does symbolise. Thanks.

God bless,

Justin

Shiva Linga.

"Abhishekam" is religious bathing, literally meaning "sprinkling". "Abhishekam" forms an important purification ritual in "Pooja" offerings. In "Siva Pujan" many sacred materials are used in "Abhishekam" as per the code of initiation by the Acharya. All other things that you have mentioned are based on your own belief and faith.

Regards,
Brahmanyan.

Namaste Sri Justin!

Could you tell us about how you got interested in knowing our religion?

Regards

Namaste Sri Malgova.Mango,

I have been looking for a religion ever since I was 15 years old. I'm now 24, but I was probably 21 or 22 when I became Hindu. I've researched all the religions I could, i.e. Islam, Judaism, Christianity, Wicca/Neopaganism, Sikhism, Jainism, Buddhism etc. I've never felt comfortable anywhere except in Sanatana Dharma. I feel an inner peace within it that I've never felt anywhere else. To put it simply, I feel at home within Hinduism. I hope that answers your question, because I can't put it any other way.

J

PS-I know my questions on this board are ignorant. I hope they do not bother anyone. But my priest is not always easy to get ahold of. So, I figure where better else to ask than a board such as this?

Last edited:
Dear Friends,

sometimes ago someone posed me a question on conversion. He pointed out that so many religions are converting Hindus to other religions. When such is the case, he asked, why Hindus also should not get into the conversion business themselves?

My reply was that there is no prohibition for converting people to Hinduism. Some of the Hindus do not think that it is necessary to convert others to Hinduism but what is more important is to educate them on Sanathana Dharma. Some others feel it is necessary to convert so that it becomes easier for them to practice Sanathana Dharma.

In my opinion both are right and both can pursue what they think is right.

According to Bhagavat Geetha it is Bhagavan who created the Thrilokas and the bodies of jeevas as their dwelling place. The dharma and the chathur varnyam pervades Boolokam, Bhuvarlokam and Swarga Lokam. This means that irrespective of where the jeevas dwell they are Sanathana Dharmis only.

The manifestation of various other religions are of subsequent happenings. People claiming to follow any religion do not forfeit their root to Dharma which is nothing but Mahavishnu alone (Please read vishnu sahasranamam).
Yet people do tend to practice Dharma or adharma and reap their fruits of karma. Just because someone would claim to follow another religion does not mean that he is exempt from the laws of karma. It is of the same logic that the existence of God is not at our sanction. He is not dependent on our belief. He exists even to those who does not believe in Him. Our Puranas tell umteen stories of His omnipresence despite the belief of any one to the contrary. The story of Prahlada and his father Hirnyakasipu in Narasimhavathaaram is a great example.

It is therefore not a question of our right to convert others to Hinduism but their right to follow Sanathana Dharma. Every Hindu should help each other - those who follow and those who forgot to follow.

Last edited by a moderator:
saab,

it is all a question of numbers. with numbers, you have more clout.

this is simple mathematics. in a democracy a committed few can have more clout than their numbers demand.

a good example is the jews of u.s.a. they are about 3% of the population. with votes being divided 50/50, their clout increases from 3% to 6 %, it being the case that they all vote as a bloc.

then, while the rest of the u.s., the percentage of electorate going to vote, let us say 50%, but the jews as a committed voting block have 100%, their influence goes from 6 to 12%, which suddenly is a significant group.

add to it, the monetary contributions, media ownership and intellectual bankage. before you know, the u.s. jews have a power to influence, 20 times or over what their population numbers warranty.

all astute thinking and a sense of unity. all a consequence of the holocaust and the need to let israel survive.

we, as hindus cannot do that. because fundamentally, as is well evident in this forum, there is a significant section of brahmins, who feel, they are the chosen ones. in this age of egalitarianism, where islam propagates with its abosolute sense of egalitarianism, we have very weak arguements to counter it. same goes with christianity.

we can coat our weakness in exotic verbology of brahman, vedas, dwaita, advaita, and any number of terms, which to a layman like me, does not mean much as i do not understand. and i come from this community.

to get a future view of india, look at kerala. 25% muslim, 30% christian, balance a hodge podge of hindus suspicious with each other, and the communists claiming their votes.

above statements are based on facts. not on brahmanathuvesham.

i do not have solutions. i have highlighted our situation as hindus, tamils and brahmins, not necessarily in that order, as i view it. i agree, that i may be totally out of base and wrong.

thank you.

kunjuppu,

There is truth in what we focus yet what we focus is not the whole truth.

There is always a tendency in each and everyone to hold on to something as truth until it is negated in practice.

Not very many have the courage to dispassionately analyze the situation and accept the finding that would point out to the eventual death of their 'truth'.

For them it would be best to wait for their 'truth(s)' to be negated. And until such time they can and they would hold with great gusto these 'truths' as sacrosant. But to their dismay they may not find it to be best when these truths are negated for they would rather have the truth not negated! Alas! Such is their passion!

I am sure you would not like me to ask you if you are sure that always, always that numbers have clouts.

Kunjuppu/saabji,

I understand the explanation of the 'vote bank' politics practiced in the modern 'democratic' systems world over.

I also understand that philosophical concept of 'unity' as ephemeral and transitory highlited by Saabji.

Post independence the alien religions particularly the Christians have been having a hay day in converting the Hindus to their fold while the Hindu leaders passively watched them. Perhaps they have woken up after sixty long years having been in the grip of the moham of the ruling party's secularism. Now they are increasingly finding that this moham is waning and the truth begins to strike them hard. The Hindus are slowly organizing themselves under the Acharya Sabha and are trying to bring back those brethren who were stolen from our midst by fraud and deceit. There are resistance from the Christian missionaries and of course their apologists try to portray the Hindus at fault.

But what is set in motion is going to reverse the trend.

This is also a reality.

saab,

please feel free to ask any question. i will attempt to answer within my limited means.

i am not a metaphysical person and am unfamiliar with the numerous philosophies that we can claim as our ancestrage. at this point in my life, there is no curiosity either. maybe some time in the future.

which is why, whatever i comment on, is based on my experiences, and that too is limited.

your query re numbers: in a democracy numbers count, as the flawed example i have used to explain in my last posting. i am not at all sure if always, always numbers have clouts. maybe. may not be. who knows.

i look upon our community and its declining numbers as a fact. i am 57 and probably the first generation product of a planned family. though it was not talked about in the house, i have only one sibling, as opposed everyone in my neighbourhood who had anything from 4 to 10 kids.

i do not know, if my parents' generation, ever pondered the effect this would have 50 years later, when compounded with the next generation, on the effect on matrimonial choices for their progeny.

i know of 2 bachelors in my extended family, what the community would call good brahmin boys, clean habits, good i.t. jobs, who want wives. wives who should be willing to live with their in-laws, as these good brahmin boys have never left home. they have been looking for a few years now, and nothing works. so they become bitter and blame the girls.

personally, i would recommend these boys to any family for the sole reason, these boys are too tradition bound and tied to their mother's sari still. that is my take, and i will be the first one to say, that it need not be the majority view nor it be the correct view. it is my view and my view alone.

but if the gene pool had been larger, these boys would have had a better chance of finding a spouse, of the same caste, sub caste, agreeing horoscopes, matching economic expectations, seedhanam and all that stuff that we indulge in when plannning a wedding. so in this case, somewhat indirectly numbers did matter. i think.

thank you sir.

ramaa,

thank you for your kind reply.

i do hope you did not find me trying to impose my views. i do apologize when i sound like that. the last thing in my mind is to impose, for to impose, one should have solid bearings.

i do not have any bearing. just observations. i do have the habit, that whenever i spot an issue, or what i perceive an issue, i feel necessary to come up with a concrete plan of action. action that is set up for success.

other times i try to probe what i think is the root cause. i seldom put any values and this may be wrong. i try to just examine the fact of the situation, try to refer to something similar or familiar in my past, extrapolate, and spew out a few words.

i do realize, that in this forum of learned folks, may of what i say, sounds childish or immature. hopefully, they do not come out as arrogant or imposition of my will. those are not my intentions.

i also realize the range of the spectrum within which this forum operates, and i tend to tone my views towards acceptability here, so that i can termed as a participant who can be accommodated and tolerated. the rest of my views, i desist from expressing it. for as humans, are we not a continuum range of views?

thank you.

Namaste Sri Justin!

At this age normally people would have other pursuits, but you sounds so different. Could I venture a bit more further, how your parents find it? They may have some expectations from you, as a son to carry the culture etc..

Is there any quest that is urging you to find an answer or is just a kind of attraction to the colourful culture?

Your questions are not that naive, so keep asking.

I just want to add what Sri Brhamanyam replied, Since GOD is ever-present he resides in all human,non-human hearts as you can imagine all the hearts LONG for this and that, there is a lot of heat generated, so we do "abishegam" to cool the LORD. Lord Shiva is "ABISHEKA PRIYAR" .

GOD BLESS
MALGOVA.MANGO

Namaste Sri Malgova.Mango,

I have been looking for a religion ever since I was 15 years old. I'm now 24, but I was probably 21 or 22 when I became Hindu. I've researched all the religions I could, i.e. Islam, Judaism, Christianity, Wicca/Neopaganism, Sikhism, Jainism, Buddhism etc. I've never felt comfortable anywhere except in Sanatana Dharma. I feel an inner peace within it that I've never felt anywhere else. To put it simply, I feel at home within Hinduism. I hope that answers your question, because I can't put it any other way.

J

PS-I know my questions on this board are ignorant. I hope they do not bother anyone. But my priest is not always easy to get ahold of. So, I figure where better else to ask than a board such as this?

re

Sivalinga literally means the body of Siva. Next to the symbol of AUM, it is perhaps the most potent, powerful and popular symbol in entire Hinduism. In almost all the Siva temples, worship is generally made to Sivalingas only. Very rarely we come across his images in the sanctum sanctorum of any Siva temple. A Sivalinga is usually a round or cylindrical and protruding object. The cylindrical part is held firmly by a circular base.

On the physical plane, the object resembles the male sexual organ, suggestive of the creative power of Siva. The circular base resembles that of the female, suggestive of his consort Parvathi. Physically a Sivalinga is a phallic symbol, representing the male and female sexual organs in a state of conjugal bliss. Mentally it symbolizes the union of mind and body. Spiritually it represents the union between Purusha and Prakriti, the highest principles of the manifest universe.

The Sivalinga is also symbolic of the Supreme Self. It is verily Maheswara Himself, the Highest Self and the Lord of the universe. In this aspect it has three parts. The lower part represents Brahma. The middle part, which is octagonal in shape, represents Vishnu. The upper part, which is cylindrical in shape, represents Rudra and is also called Pujabhaga since it receives the actual offerings of milk and other substances.

http://www.saivism.net/articles/sivalinga.asp

sb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back