• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Shikha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Namaskar,

Is there anyway to grow a shikha without shaving the head? I want to grow one, but I have passed the age for the Mundan ceremony. I try to be as orthodox as possible. I will, of course, get the tonsure if required and then let the hair grow back. I want to get the shikha, and then keep it for the rest of my life.

So, if any of you have any ideas as to how to go about doing this, whether tonsured or not, or however, please advise. It is greatly appreciated.

Pranams,

Justin Lundeen

P.S.-Let me correct myself - Any means of getting the shikha that is in accordance with shastra.

It wud be better for you to seek your guru's advice on this Justin. Also, it wud really depend on which sampradaya you wish to follow.

Namaskar Sri happyhindu,

Really? It depends on my sampradaya? I did not know that. How would an Advaitin/Smarta have this done? I don't have a personal guru yet. I just have my purohit, who is a Sri Vaishnava. I am going to make Sri Shankaracharya my guru for the time being until I can find a personal one. Of course, I did not know I could do that until today, either.

Pranams,

Justin

Namaskar Sri happyhindu,

Really? It depends on my sampradaya? I did not know that. How would an Advaitin/Smarta have this done? I don't have a personal guru yet. I just have my purohit, who is a Sri Vaishnava. I am going to make Sri Shankaracharya my guru for the time being until I can find a personal one. Of course, I did not know I could do that until today, either.

Pranams,

Justin

You may visit any of the Indian(South Indian ) temples near to you if possible, and observe anybody having shikha , you like.If so contact
them for details.That may be of help to you.

Greetings

Hello Justin,

If you visit Thirumala, you can see heads being tonsured in various ways.

Some ppl keep a tuft and shave off the hair from the rest of the head.

Some keep a tuft and only trim off all the hair around it.

Some keep a tuft and shave off hair on only the outer parts of the head.

I do not know who is following what tradition.

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back