• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

shaniyane......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sreaming at your kids

Shaniyane..... Fan anachutu varakudata
Shaniyene.... Etanawati sholaratu padi padi....

How many of you still practice this habbit.

We we brought up by commands do this do that, without recourse to explanations

Todays children when commanded simply start off a lengthy argument

You see english movies where the parents are talking to 2 year olds explaing, details of domestc matters, why they have to move house, why dady went away etc.

But we don't seem to follow the habit of reasoning. Its always a command. Is that why tamillians are less of leaders and more of followers?

Times have changed life has changed but Shaniyane... Still pops in once in a while

What say......?

namaste Arun Kumar.

Wait until the next generation of kids when our kids themselves become parents, and all these usages would have gone in favour of the western modes of lifestyle and culture. And then they would have their choicest American slang for scolding the kids!

Last edited:
Sreaming at your kids

Shaniyane..... Fan anachutu varakudata
Shaniyene.... Etanawati sholaratu padi padi....

How many of you still practice this habbit.

We we brought up by commands do this do that, without recourse to explanations

Todays children when commanded simply start off a lengthy argument

You see english movies where the parents are talking to 2 year olds explaing, details of domestc matters, why they have to move house, why dady went away etc.

But we don't seem to follow the habit of reasoning. Its always a command. Is that why tamillians are less of leaders and more of followers?

Times have changed life has changed but Shaniyane... Still pops in once in a while

What say......?

To make a change..since Shani is a navagraha..for those who still want to shout at their kids tell them this:

Shukranne...please off the fan
Shukranne..please for God's sake study.

See we have no excuse..we have 9 navagrahas to chose from..so we can give Shani Bhagawan a break cos he comes running each time he is called.

Just create this rumour that Shani Bhagawan comes running and see people change their choice of words.

For me its simple..

I will say to my son..

1st time..Please off the fan..

2nd time..Would you please off the fan

3rd time..Did you hear me?

4th time..If he hasnt offed it I get up and do it myself.

Most of the while my son offs it by 1st and 2nd stage.

I seldom hear the call for Shani bhagwan, now a days.

Children are generally addressed as 'kaNNA' and of course 'dEy' to show anger!!

I got a shock after posting in this thread!!
When the forum is opened, the GD section shows... 'Shaniyane.... Raji Ram'. :faint:

It just depends upon the command of the epithets at the tip of the tongue of the parent, the mood of the parent, the number of times one requests/asks the ward to do the same act. For eg.:

Father to son - early morning - relaxed mood: "kaNNA, konjam fan-ai off paNNaraya?"

Father to son - late at night, after tough time at office and after non-ending dialogue with bitter-half: " dEy ashta-vakram, evvaLavu vaati one kitta soLLaNum, fan-ai off paNNu-nu"

'KArkOdakA' was replacing the 'shaniyanE', for a super senior and a tiny tot started calling everyone 'kAkOgadA' for fun!

I fully agree with you. The words of "Shaniyane" changed to Kanna / Konthai (kuzhandhai)/suffix of "ma""pa" etc. At least in a little bit high end family no one uses the word "Shaniyane"

The westerners have choicest swear words. "Shaniyane" is uttered at a helpless state. Our children become (mostly) orderly when they are of age whereas the westerners become disorderly. Of course every upbringing has its own plus and minus. I think "shaniyane" is better than "shit". Some call their ward 'brihaspati' meaning 'you are not brihaspati'. Some call their ward derisively by "in-law's" name. Please do not take all spice out of our life!

Last edited:
The westerners have choicest swear words. "Shaniyane" is uttered at a helpless state. Our children become (mostly) orderly when they are of age whereas the westerners become disorderly. Of course every upbringing has its own plus and minus. I think "shaniyane" is better than "shit". Some call their ward 'brihaspati' meaning 'you are not brihaspati'. Some call their ward derisively by "in-law's" name. Please do not take all spice out of our life!

When you mention the word "shit"..I remembered that last month my son asked me whats the Sanskrit equivalent to it and I said its "Shakrit" in Sanskrit.
He said that sounds much better and said "amma no one will also know what it means but knowing people here they might think its a good word and start naming their kids Shakrit Kumar soon"

When you mention the word "shit"..I remembered that last month my son asked me whats the Sanskrit equivalent to it and I said its "Shakrit" in Sanskrit.
He said that sounds much better and said "amma no one will also know what it means but knowing people here they might think its a good word and start naming their kids Shakrit Kumar soon"
शकृत - to my knowledge means Fertiliser, not what you refer to

For me its simple..

I will say to my son..

1st time..Please off the fan..

2nd time..Would you please off the fan

3rd time..Did you hear me?

4th time..If he hasnt offed it I get up and do it myself.

Most of the while my son offs it by 1st and 2nd stage.

That is way it was dealt with in my family. Or my mother will use a stern voice.
Cursing or cussing was not allowed . When we used to go to TN and people would use -di for girls or -da for boys, we thought that was rude.
In North India (bihar, up, Rajasthan) even children are addressed with respect.

शकृत - to my knowledge means Fertiliser, not what you refer to

dear ozone,

This fact was in my Sanskrit text book that how one letter can make a world of difference in the meaning and this examples were given.

सकृत means at once/once

शकृत means excreta

Word-Differentiation
Three kinds of ‘s’ are recognised in Sanskrit:
  1. palatal ‘s’,
  2. cerebral ‘s’ and
  3. dental ‘s’.
Their articulation originates from the palate, the head and the teeth respectively. The difference in articulation accounts for the difference in meaning. For instance, there are two Sanskrit words - 'shakrit' and 'sakrit'. Both have different meanings and between these meanings there is a world of difference. 'Sakrit' means 'once' and 'Shakrit' means 'filth'.

HereNow4U.net :: Books Online | The Mirror Of The Self | [08] Arham

Last edited:
quiet a title. nowadays, kids expect or would accept carrot approach only and not the stick even if its verbal.

Right. But a more politically correct and more (or less) effective awear word meaning the same is 'ekasharam'; used by polite circles.

dear ozone,

This fact was in my Sanskrit text book that how one letter can make a world of difference in the meaning and this examples were given.

सकृत means at once/once

शकृत means excreta

Word-Differentiation
Three kinds of ‘s’ are recognised in Sanskrit:
  1. palatal ‘s’,
  2. cerebral ‘s’ and
  3. dental ‘s’.
Their articulation originates from the palate, the head and the teeth respectively. The difference in articulation accounts for the difference in meaning. For instance, there are two Sanskrit words - 'shakrit' and 'sakrit'. Both have different meanings and between these meanings there is a world of difference. 'Sakrit' means 'once' and 'Shakrit' means 'filth'.

HereNow4U.net :: Books Online | The Mirror Of The Self | [08] Arham

Sir,
Shani means slow. It is not harmful or distasteful, so 'better' it too mild a comparison to the other word :)

dear ozone,

सकृत means at once/once

शकृत means excreta

may be it is. I wasnt aware. thanks

I fully agree with you. The words of "Shaniyane" changed to Kanna / Konthai (kuzhandhai)/suffix of "ma""pa" etc. At least in a little bit high end family no one uses the word "Shaniyane"

LOL, i dont claim to have blue blood running in my veins, but would be excused from being labled as 'bit low end'.

No matter how unacceptable certain words are (non necessarily of 'swear' nature) they are in colloqial usage, to be used among close ones, Shaniyane was just an example.

This sure was quite an interesting topic.. I admit i have called my kids " shaniyane" some times, then it became " prandhu" but nothing more than that.. of course DEY!! DI!! goes without saying, but when I get angry all I had to do was look at them and my daughter who turns 30 tomorrow said to me, Amma you and your eyes like the Durga, that is all I needed to see, so I was scared for days.. :)) LOL!!! anyway, I hear so many curse words in today's movies and as long as the parents don't use it, the children will respect that and learn not to use it in front of them at least.. We hope.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back