• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Satrumurai

Status
Not open for further replies.
In temples during pooja, there is satrumurai. Can somebody provide me details like text, mp3 etc please?
Sir,

I am under the impression Satrumurai is a purely SV ritual.

SV theology is based on Pancharatra or Vaikanasa Agama. These agamas prescribe the details of how Aradhanai must be performed, in temples, or at home. The procedure for temple aradhanai, at home aradhanai of idols, or at home aradhanai of Salagrama moorthy vary in many details. But, there are also many similarities. One thing they all have in common is, they all end with what is called Satrumurai, immediately following mangala harati.

The normal Satrumurai following the morning aradhanai starts with the last two verses of Thiruppavai. This is why when the entire Thiruppavai is recited as part of the ardhanai, the last two verses are not recited, and are reserved for Satrumurai.

Followed by these two pasurams, any other pasurams left over after normal recitation are recited. What follows after that varies with samradayam and there are many samradayamas. It would usually include the first verse of Thiruppallandu and some reverential verses of preeminent acharyas of the sampradayam. Satrumurai concluds with Mangala Stotram of Swami Sri Desikan for Vadakalais and that of Swami Manavala Mamunigal (I think) for Thenkalais. Sri Ahobila Matam also recites some verses in praise of their founder Acharya Adi Van Satakopa Jeeyar.

Satrumurai of noon and evening ardhanai differ in some degree, but has the same basic structure.

Satrumurai is an integral part of traditional aradahnai, in temples as well as homes. Big or small, all temples follow this procedure. Even the veritable Thiruppati Thirumalai has to follow this procedure. This is why you will see a long line of SVs waiting in Thirumalai from about 5 a.m., for the Jeeyar to come. They are led in by the Jeeyar for the morning Satrumurai. Only requirement is you must be seen as a Brahmin SV -- must have poonal, must have Urdhva Pundaram on the forehead, and must at least pretend to not deviate from sikhai protocol -- i.e. no complete shaving of the head and absolutely no gridha.

The temporal authority was incensed with this special privilege to Brahmins and challenged it in the courts. The Jeeyar of Thirumalai is quite proud that he fought the challenge all the way to the supreme court (I think it was supreme court, not sure) and preserved this right for SV Brahmins, a right that has been followed at least for 1000 years. The only thing he requests from the bhaktas who want to avail of this service is to follow the minimal protocol prerequisites, i.e. if you want to shave your head, don't shave it all, leave a little ucchik kudimi, take that gridha completely off, there must be a straight line, and of course have Urdhva Pundaram on your forehead and a poonal on your shoulder -- upward direction of Brhmma mudicchu is optional.

Also note, Satrumurai during special occasions can include recitation of various Vedic verses and can drag on for more than an hour. In Thirumalai, at the time of Margazi ushering in, the entire Thiruppavai is recited for all SVs to join in, a whole 20 minutes in the Sanctum without any jarungandi.

mp3 or video of special satrumurai are available on-line, just do a Google search.

Cheers!

Awesome Thanks for the wealth of information.

Looks like there is chanting of vedic verses during satrumurai and then also thiruppavai, pallandu, etc

Which vedic verses are said?
Other than thiruppavai, anything else?

I really did search google and found few youtube ones, but audio quality was really bad and couldn't decipher what they were saying.

Please help.

Thanks so much.,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back