• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

sapere aude aka nostalgia

Status
Not open for further replies.

kunjuppu

brahmanyan,

i started this thread as i could not find any place for comments on your blog. also this might get a wider audience (or maybe not) for my queries.

when i used to go to my grandparents to badagara, they too used to have a hmv gramophone which had to be wound for every 78 rpm and the needle replaced after about, i would say, 10 of those bakelite records.

my grandma used to have tons of records of sets of dramas produced by the saraswati stores, mount road madras.

i remember listening to 10 - 20 part 78 rpms of stories like nandanar, vallala maharaja, meera and such.

my grandma used to explain the story of nandanar with pride and no guilt; even though i was very young i could suspect the disjoint in her arguement ie how an untouchable reached God, and how we used to treat our vaalikaran and maids, and out thottis... this mainly due to coming from an urban madras of those days...horrible it was to hear the ululating sounds of the dalits when they passed brahmin's houses..i cringe with shame 55 years later and i cannot believe the ignorance of some of the answers i got in another forum about the existence of those habits. it is on such times, i am ashamed of my heritage..and i hope you atleast (and maybe sangom) would understand, if not agree or empathize...thx

to revert to more cheer :),,,, i remember hearing my first 'nagumomo ganaleni' in a scratch l.p. by chembai whom we used to call chozhian. i did not know at that time, this was a disaparaging remark at a brahmin of a supposedly lower cadre. i was so ashamed of my family when i came to know of such :(

i still remember m.s.subbu's records of meera ..'jai krishna mukunda murare....' and even now it haunts me 'kaatriniley varum geetham'. all i have to do, far away in time and distance, this 50 years away, close my eyes, and there it floats, those divine vocal chords of MS. i cannot say it better than nehru, 'after all before MS we are only but mortal' or something along those line.

years later, when i heard a comment from the family, that MS' venkateswara suprabatham, was her way of atoning for her 'sins', i cried, that these folks, with her inherent corrupt form of brahminism, could only look upon her as a devadasi who redeemed her self, and not as the divine living goddess. brahmanyan, i hope, you atleast understand the intensity of some of my posts as i remember the ignorance, and worse, it is still prevalent among the blind ones here..thx.

to sum up....i wish to thank you for prompting so much fond memories. bless you sir.

ps.. my paternal grandfather was a clerk of the imperial bank of india, first in bombay, then in madras. he died of t.b. in 1924, a few months before my dad was born :( .. and thus started the downward spiral to poverty of my dad's family. so quickly one could descent from prosperity to poverty in those days.

i guess it was fear of this, and my own dad's vulnerable health, that made me look for a spouse who would continue to work after marriage, so that if anything should happen to me, atleast there would be income for sustenance. so much of our behaviour centred around the insecurities of our youth...sort of poignantly bittersweet when i write this.

pps. i am going to stop the interruption of this post here but for one last time. to me kovai was unknown, but it was podanur that symbolized the divide between tamil nadu and kerala. after podanur, came shoranur, then tanur, trichur, ottapalam, kozhikode, and badagara my home town (now called vadakara which is how we used to call it those days).... sighhhhh

Last edited:
Sweet or bad, nostalgic memories always give you a lot of comfort, relief and solace. When they are shared with like-minded people, the result gets multiplied.

brahmanyan,

i started this thread as i could not find any place for comments on your blog. also this might get a wider audience (or maybe not) for my queries.

when i used to go to my grandparents to badagara, they too used to have a hmv gramophone which had to be wound for every 78 rpm and the needle replaced after about, i would say, 10 of those bakelite records.
. . . . . .

Dear Sri Kunjuppu,

I am glad that you had gone through my Blog: Sapere Aude . I started writing about my home town Coimbatore to share my nostalgic memories of my younger days. Sooner I found the joy of traveling with our memories and branched off to few more Blogs sharing other subjects of interest. I shall feel happy if you could find time to go through my writings in others Blogs: Old Stylus, Brahmanyan, Biography , and post your Comments on them, which I value much.

I am pleased that reading my Blog has inspired you to turn back to your world of past. Please continue, any thing that we write on past will be of interest to all to understand the Social conditions that existed 50 or 60 years ago. By the way "Nagumo Moganale" sung by Musiri Subramanya Iyer, stood in top on sales at that point of time. I never knew that Chembai had given a Record of the same song.

Warm Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Last edited:
@ Brahmanyan sir
sir I will go through the Blog.
I have bookmarked it.
Sapere aude=dare to discern in latin. new world for me.

In the 20th Century Chambers Dictionary, the meaning of 'sapere aude' has been given as 'dare to be wise' under popular Latin phrases.

Dear Brahmanyan,

Now you got me worried here. Was it Musiri? Or Chembai? I will vote for Musiri.

We also used to have this tin boxes sets of dramas, movie songs (Kismet, Meera, and one with GNB which I forget) and lots more.

‘this part was missed in my earlier post as this was my starter lines…)

Our connections with kovai started around 1943 I guess, when my orphan dad was given a break in life – PSG provided him food, board and education for free for 4 years at their Peelamedu campus. Dad used to say that Peelamedu felt far from the town those days. There was only other Brahmin in his class. The rest were Gounders or Andhra folks.

Maybe his uncle Subbaraman taught you because he taught till the 1950s. His wife was Ponnu and they had 4 sons who did very well, and one daughter Jayalakshmi who runs a name brand high school in kovai now (forget the name).

I have about 20 or so cousins living there and I guess a visit is long overdue. I came last 10 years ago, for a day trip, to Kovaipudur. Maybe one of these years, a trip to kovai and chathapuram, where supposedly my daayadhis still live.

I have also connections with Kalpathi, Cheneevaram and Pallipuram through marriages. Heard that the structure of those villages are changing now from graamams to modern brick households. Progress, I guess. I was hoping that they would be able to keep the old graamam façade, while modernizing the interiors, but no such luck. They simply pull down the old single storey attached houses, and build multi storeyed flats, is what I hear.

Incidentally, I think, kovai has produced more tamil nadu based industrialists and entrepreneurs than even madras. Madras had the English to establish business houses. Then the push came primarily from Andhra ie the coastal reddys and naidus, who have now shifted to Hyderabad since states bifurcation.

Kovai’s growth was purely internal driven by Gounders and Naidus. The history of the gounders is interesting. I was told that they were as a group, in the bad books of the British, and certain folks had to make regular reporting to the police of their whereabouts, no matter what. Many of them provided foot soldiers to the armies of Tipu & Hyder Ali, and as rewards for the loot, established zamindarships (Kumaramangalam family was one of them). Don’t know much about CS’ family except that this year is his 100th birth centenary. A great leader from Kovai area.

My cousin in 1960s, born and brought up in the north, married this guy who was an engineer at Lakshmi Machine Tools. Within weeks of moving to Kovai, she told her husband that either they move to north or she was leaving him. The poor guy resigned his job, left his family and moved to find a job in Bihar as per his bride’s wishes. This was early 1960s. so when we talk of ‘unreasonable’ demands of brides, it may be good to remember that such things happened 50 years ago too. :)

Sapere aude aka nostalgia

In the 20th Century Chambers Dictionary, the meaning of 'sapere aude' has been given as 'dare to be wise' under popular Latin phrases.

Dear Sri "Pannvalan",

Yes, the Latin phrase "Sapere Aude" meaning "Dare to be wise" is taken from the following quote of Roman lyric Poet Horatius Flaccus, known as Poet Horace to the English knowing world. This phrase is found in his collection of Poems called "Epistularum liber primus" (First Book of Letters).

"Dimidium facti qui coepit habet: sapere aude" ("He who has begun is half done: dare to be wise!")." — Quintus Horatius Flaccus.

These words are declared in bold letters on the Greco-Roman Portal of my Alma Mater "Government Arts College, Coimbatore". This I took as my "motto" in life. Now I found that the same phrase is taken as the motto of Primus Public School, Bangalore, where my grand daughters study. An interesting coincidence indeed.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

ok sir i will accept ur word. actually i searched google this word and this is what i got dare to discern.

Dear Brahmanyan,

Now you got me worried here. Was it Musiri? Or Chembai? I will vote for Musiri.

We also used to have this tin boxes sets of dramas, movie songs (Kismet, Meera, and one with GNB which I forget) and lots more.

‘this part was missed in my earlier post as this was my starter lines…)

Our connections with kovai started around 1943 I guess, when my orphan dad was given a break in life – PSG provided him food, board and education for free for 4 years at their Peelamedu campus. Dad used to say that Peelamedu felt far from the town those days. There was only other Brahmin in his class. The rest were Gounders or Andhra folks.

Maybe his uncle Subbaraman taught you because he taught till the 1950s. His wife was Ponnu and they had 4 sons who did very well, and one daughter Jayalakshmi who runs a name brand high school in kovai now (forget the name).

I have about 20 or so cousins living there and I guess a visit is long overdue. I came last 10 years ago, for a day trip, to Kovaipudur. Maybe one of these years, a trip to kovai and chathapuram, where supposedly my daayadhis still live.

I have also connections with Kalpathi, Cheneevaram and Pallipuram through marriages. Heard that the structure of those villages are changing now from graamams to modern brick households. Progress, I guess. I was hoping that they would be able to keep the old graamam façade, while modernizing the interiors, but no such luck. They simply pull down the old single storey attached houses, and build multi storeyed flats, is what I hear.

Incidentally, I think, kovai has produced more tamil nadu based industrialists and entrepreneurs than even madras. Madras had the English to establish business houses. Then the push came primarily from Andhra ie the coastal reddys and naidus, who have now shifted to Hyderabad since states bifurcation.

Kovai’s growth was purely internal driven by Gounders and Naidus. The history of the gounders is interesting. I was told that they were as a group, in the bad books of the British, and certain folks had to make regular reporting to the police of their whereabouts, no matter what. Many of them provided foot soldiers to the armies of Tipu & Hyder Ali, and as rewards for the loot, established zamindarships (Kumaramangalam family was one of them). Don’t know much about CS’ family except that this year is his 100th birth centenary. A great leader from Kovai area.

My cousin in 1960s, born and brought up in the north, married this guy who was an engineer at Lakshmi Machine Tools. Within weeks of moving to Kovai, she told her husband that either they move to north or she was leaving him. The poor guy resigned his job, left his family and moved to find a job in Bihar as per his bride’s wishes. This was early 1960s. so when we talk of ‘unreasonable’ demands of brides, it may be good to remember that such things happened 50 years ago too. :)

Dear Sri Kunjuppu,

You have provided valuable information about my home town. It is interesting that the world is small. First, Sri Subburama Iyer whom you mentioned was Head Master of City Municipal High School, and I know their family well. They were living on the same street where I lived in 1940s. One of his sons happen to be my class mate in High School and College. We are in contact with each other even now.
The second one was that I started my professional life in 1963 with Lakshmi Machine Works Ltd as the Finacial Accountant when the Company was promoted, and continued with LMW till I migrated to Bangalore in 1966.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back