• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Sanatana Dharma - Foundation of Hinduism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Friends,

Since Mr. Sangom had advised Mr. Krishnakumar on my blog posting reply to start a new thread, I am starting this thread. Mr. Krishakumar had expressed his desire to know several facts and misinterpretations about our religion. I plan to use this thread to provide certain truths about Hinduism that have not been clearly understood even by Hindus, let alone people of other religions. Unless we know what our scriptures have stipulated, we will only be following false practices. One such practice is the question about widow remarriage. We all know that the creation of the present universe started with Svayambhuva Manu and he was the one who wrote the Manu Smriti that dictates how human beings should live on this earth. There is not a single subject that Manu has not touched upon. Many of you will be surprised to know that Manu talks even about homosexual relationships, which is another hot topic nowadays.

Regarding widow remarriage, Manu neither supports it nor opposes it. He says that a woman is a like the soil and the man is a like a seed. When you sow a single seed in a soil regularly, the fertility of the soil is not affected. However, if you go on changing the seeds and grow different crops continuously, the fertility of the soil and the yield are both affected. Citing this reason, Manu says it will be better if a woman who has lost a husband does not marry again. He advocates that she can devote herself to the upbrining of her child. At the same time, for women without children, Manu advises that she can have physical relationship with the brothers or other close kin of the deceased husband only with the intention of becoming pregnant. she should abstain from that once she is conceived and concentrate on bringing up the child as a good human being. The above advice is to keep the genetic heredity within limits, a purely scientific point of view.

In spite of these restrictions expressed by him, Manu has never totally barred women from marrying again even outside their families. This is clear from the section of property division. While explaining how property should be divided, he also brings out the option of a woman having two or more children from two different fathers and how the property should be divided among them. This should make things clear that Manu was never opposed to widow remarriage but only advised it on genetic grounds. Everything in Manusmriti is based on science and castes are also based on genetic psychology. I will take this in another posting in detail at a later date. Kindly provide your feedbacks here. You can also contact me at [email protected] for further information on any matter related to Sanatana Dharma.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back