• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Samashti upanayanam

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to know about samashti upanayanam. I have asked about this to our sastrigal. he says only poor people can do it. But I need clarity on this.
I would be much thankful, if some body guide me on this.

Thanks.
Raju.
hi raju sir,
i did samasthi upanayanam for my son last yr.....due to lack of time/other inconvenience....i chose samasthi....we all flew from USA

to India for very short period....samashti upanayanam held in chennai....i heard that 1 boy's father was senior engineer in

TVS...even his son had samasthi upanayanam......but generally for poor brahmins.....so of ur aathu vadyar wants make money...

he wont advice samasthi upanayanam.......

regards
tbs

I want to know about samashti upanayanam. I have asked about this to our sastrigal. he says only poor people can do it. But I need clarity on this.
I would be much thankful, if some body guide me on this.

Thanks.
Raju.

Shri Ganesh,

"upanayanam" is supposed to be a simple, vaideeki ceremony. The "Samashti" upanayanam (SU) comes closer to this ideal. We have such SU in Trivandrum every year and many well-to-do people perform the poonal of their sons there. Since those who can afford contribute, there is the added merit of our having indirectly helped the poor brahmin boys getting the rite performed for them.

Usually there is a limit on the maximum number of people who will be served meals but by accepting extra payment, the organisers usually allow more people to partake of the "Sadya". The only thing that is not possible is to show our opulence and ostentation as much as we would like to. Some rich people arrange for a grand party in posh hotels/ marriage halls in the evening for this.

Dear all

As regards upanayanam I request the following doubts be clarified:

1 can upanayanam be fixed in Krishna paksham.

2 the pre or post function I.e. Sumangali prarthanai/swamy samaradhanai
be organised during krshnapaksham or nearer the shradha day of the
Vadu's paternal great-grand father.

Thank you

M.S.Narayanan

Dear all

As regards upanayanam I request the following doubts be clarified:

1 can upanayanam be fixed in Krishna paksham.

2 the pre or post function I.e. Sumangali prarthanai/swamy samaradhanai
be organised during krshnapaksham or nearer the shradha day of the
Vadu's paternal great-grand father.

Thank you

M.S.Narayanan

There are two views on Krishnapaksha; some people hold that after the saptami of Krishnapaksha it is OK.

Sumangali prarthanai/swamy samaradhanai is usually done as per the custom in each family. So some elders especially womenfolk will be able to tell you about Sumangali Prarthanai. In our family Krishna Paksham is no bar for sumangali prarthanai.

Samaradhanai can be done on any Paksha, imo, because it is a pooja for God and no one else.

dear raju, the thing is that when u do 2 karmas at the same time there is a belief that only 1 person will be good. so generally they dont advise to do so. so whether it is upanayam or vivaham or something else pl dont do 2 ceremonies at the same time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back