• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Sachin Tendulkar and Hero Worship

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the lands of gods and god-men you are nobody unless you claim to be one or are made one. So it appears with Sachin Tendulkar who seems to be a relatively modest person with certain extra-ordinary abilities.

The question is how or why has he achieved demi-god status? In the current Test cricket series, more people seemed concerned with his record-breaking possibilities than with India's miserable defeat. Surely he is a very good player, but is he one of the greatest ever? Is he on par with Bradman or even Kapil Dev? Has he stared down the enemy time-after-time with only a mediocre team by his side and made it to the other side by sheer strength of spirit?

On a more general note, are we just a hopeless nation of hero worshippers? I was explaining to my son that the only famous people were sportsmen and film celebrities. Then I felt kind of sad, that that was the case.

I think Kapil Dev and Sachin Tendulkar are heros of a different kind and cannot be put on the same balance.

Kapil was more of an emotional player, whereas, Sachin is a strategic player. Both are selfless players, no doubt, unlike the once hyped up Gavaskar.

Sachin was another ordinary Indian, great cricket player. That was until a few months ago. When he walked out of the crease even after Umpire gave him not-out, he demonsrated an Example of integrity in profession. He outgrew others by that display of character. He may not be elevated to the level of God (I am sure he doesn't want that, being a grand disciple of Sai Baba), but I will be among the happiest person to see him become PM or President. For him, honesty was more important than anything else. That is the kind of person who should lead the country.

Sachin for President. You heard it here first! Lets make him one.

I think Kapil Dev and Sachin Tendulkar are heros of a different kind and cannot be put on the same balance.

Kapil was more of an emotional player, whereas, Sachin is a strategic player. Both are selfless players, no doubt, unlike the once hyped up Gavaskar.

Sachin was another ordinary Indian, great cricket player. That was until a few months ago. When he walked out of the crease even after Umpire gave him not-out, he demonsrated an Example of integrity in profession. He outgrew others by that display of character. He may not be elevated to the level of God (I am sure he doesn't want that, being a grand disciple of Sai Baba), but I will be among the happiest person to see him become PM or President. For him, honesty was more important than anything else. That is the kind of person who should lead the country.

Hats off to your wonderful post Dr.Barani....

I have nothing more to agree with you.

Probably Indians are sentimentalists but not sentimental idiots. When some comman men idolize him as GOD, it's purely for his refined character/personality that weighs more than his carreer achievements and the pride that he got for the Nation.

As you said, I would love to join "Aam Aadmi" group to adore him as President of India. Presidential post is more an ornamental portfolio of highly democratic India and Sachin deserves it. For sure, I would not prefer him to be a politician.

On a more general note, are we just a hopeless nation of hero worshippers?

Sadly for the most part yes. even to do something or understand something we need a celebrity to tell us. Example would be the adverts that keep coming from time to time asking us to drink boiled water. I am sure most of our ancestors did that every single day. but now, even for something that is so essential we need a film star to get the message across.

Both are selfless players, no doubt, unlike the once hyped up Gavaskar.

sir, with due respects, you cant be more wrong.

sunil gavaskar was the first indian player who taught indians self-belief. i normally dont like to compare cricketers of different generations because there is too much that has to be normalized but gavaskar's greatness has been acknowledged by the west indian players of the era, who were pretty much the benchmark for cricket excellence.

if you cite his infamous innings of 36 not out in the '79 world cup to call him selfish, again you are wrong. his innings was not a result of his selfish approach but the fact that neither he nor anyone in india knew how to play one day cricket.

you are entitled to your views on sachin & kapil dev or anyother being better than gavaskar but i would contest the charge that he was selfish. the calypso created in honor of gavaskar stands testimony to his greatness as a cricketer.

you should also know sir that this great embodiment of integrity, sachin, some years ago, wrote to the finance ministry to waive import duty on the ferrari gifted to him. (recently, he sold it to a surat businessman)

also this glittering example of integrity, filed a plea before the tax authorities that he should be considered as a "professional actor" enabling him to pay lower taxes on his endorsement incomes

these must be some example of integrity & character.

these incidents however dont make him a lesser cricketer, but he is not a beacon or a role model across the board. he is a great professional who has maintained his standard with great work ethic.

i think as a nation we are mixing up issues in suggesting him for pm / presidency or recommending him for bharat ratna.

Sadly for the most part yes. even to do something or understand something we need a celebrity to tell us. Example would be the adverts that keep coming from time to time asking us to drink boiled water. I am sure most of our ancestors did that every single day. but now, even for something that is so essential we need a film star to get the message across.

Dear Praveen,

Rightly said.....

Rright from children to grown up adults, all need celebrities to appear in advertisements to emphasis what is good for us. Parents and grandparents are considered old generation/old fashioned folks, who cant understand the modern, sceintifically advanced world, where anything is possible and nothing can be considered harmful.

So, when the present generation, present period well known personality/celebrity comes up with a message, such messages are considered as the most meaningful and valid.

sir, with due respects, you cant be more wrong.

sunil gavaskar was the first indian player who taught indians self-belief.

For that social message there have been very many great nonpoliticians, like Jaya Prakash Narain (I am avoiding citing politicians). I can only chuckle if you say that Gavaskar was the first person to teach us self-belief.

i normally dont like to compare cricketers of different generations because there is too much that has to be normalized but gavaskar's greatness has been acknowledged by the west indian players of the era, who were pretty much the benchmark for cricket excellence.

Unfortunately, certificates from "western players" do not render any extra credibility in my opinion. Those match-fixing, steroid using, manipulating "western cricketers" may want to learn a few good things from India.

if you cite his infamous innings of 36 not out in the '79 world cup to call him selfish, again you are wrong.

No, I don't even remember such trivial things. In the overall scheme of things, he was more selfish for his own score at the cost of matches.

you are entitled to your views on sachin & kapil dev or anyother being better than gavaskar but i would contest the charge that he was selfish. the calypso created in honor of gavaskar stands testimony to his greatness as a cricketer.

He has set lot of personal records, no doubt, which is why I call him selfish, since those records came at a cost to the team's performance. In fact, you used the word 'selfish', I called others more 'selfless'. There is a difference.

you should also know sir that this great embodiment of integrity, sachin, some years ago, wrote to the finance ministry to waive import duty on the ferrari gifted to him. (recently, he sold it to a surat businessman)

also this glittering example of integrity, filed a plea before the tax authorities that he should be considered as a "professional actor" enabling him to pay lower taxes on his endorsement incomes

Actually, I like him for doing that. You think the money is better off with Government than with the people? You got it wrong. Governments are always public enemy #1. And Sachin wasn't the first person to request waiver of gift duty. He followed past examples. I think it is even morally wrong to tax a gift. Do you want the beggar on the street to pay 20% Gift tax to Government if you give him Rs.2? Why not? Principles shouldn't change based on numbers. Gift tax is the most ridiculous thing on the planet. You gift a new TV to your mother and she has to pay Gift tax? That is silly. Where does that sillyness stop?

these incidents however dont make him a lesser cricketer, but he is not a beacon or a role model across the board. he is a great professional who has maintained his standard with great work ethic.

i think as a nation we are mixing up issues in suggesting him for pm / presidency or recommending him for bharat ratna.

He set a great example in front of millions of people. He didn't hesitate. That was a classic integrity test he passed to deserve all the special accolades given to him here. Gavaskar would have never walked. Actually, Gavaskar should be HAPPY that he is being compared to Sachin here. You can compare me to Einstein and call me an idiot, I will only be happy!

We have had rank politicians become Presidents. You think they were qualified? If Sachin doesn't qualify in your criteria, nobody else does. We had a Engineer-Scientist who became President and it only helped build our image. It is time we made a President out of a Sportsman or an Artist. A President is an image-builder. Sachin with his largest fanclub in the world, can only use his image to help India more.

You are welcome to suggest other candidates for Presidents and we will be glad to evaluate.

Sachin has excelled in his field of activity and the records he has made was made by him run by run and ball by ball. He had not achieved the credits through CEOs and BPOs. The demigod status given to him is the bane of the country. When Kushboo is goddess, Rajnikant is another, and now Sachin. He does not aspire to be one. At Lords he is as simple and humble as he has ever been. Every eligible cricketer attempted to excel, but Sachin only succeeded. Let us honour our sportsmen, like V. Anand and Sachin with what we can.

... Let us honour our sportsmen, like V. Anand and Sachin with what we can.

i thought of building a temple for anand, but mrs K pointed out, that archanais have to be done at chess speed. max you can get is one action per 3 minutes. so we figured average archanai would be 45 minutes, and there would be no takers.

considering a temple for speedy gonzales now :)

Sir.
I would consider Gavaskar , Vishy and Amarnath better batsmen since in those
days there was no protection at all. They were facing the great fast bowlers like
Roberts, Holding, Holder and others. They had to face Abdul qadar and other
great spinners. The innings of Vishy in Madras against WI and of Sunil against
Pak on a dirty track at Bangalore were amazing. Vishy could play any bowler
on any type of track. Sachin is still suspect against short-pitched ones.

As far as we are concerned, we will shower praise on them if they win and also
dump them if they lose !

Sir.
I would consider Gavaskar , Vishy and Amarnath better batsmen since in those
days there was no protection at all. They were facing the great fast bowlers like
Roberts, Holding, Holder and others. They had to face Abdul qadar and other
great spinners. The innings of Vishy in Madras against WI and of Sunil against
Pak on a dirty track at Bangalore were amazing. Vishy could play any bowler
on any type of track. Sachin is still suspect against short-pitched ones.

As far as we are concerned, we will shower praise on them if they win and also
dump them if they lose !

If it was the 70s, I might have even preferred Gavaskar to become President... considering the low quality retards who got to become Presidents.

Right now, I still prefer Sachin over Anand. Anand has shifted his residence base to Spain, so he gets less credit from that angle. Otherwise, both are great choices for some recognition to sports. Earlier, the choice of Presidency was alternated between north/south etc. I think it is better to pick one from different professional fields each time - Artist, musician, sportsman, economist, scientist, entrepreneur, social service, or even a school teacher.

...i think as a nation we are mixing up issues in suggesting him for pm / presidency or recommending him for bharat ratna.
Hari, contrast the title of this thread with this suggestion and I don't understand how the monumental irony is going unnoticed.... :)

Sir,

People are worshipping Sachin because the game is popular and you can see
the kids playing it in the streets.

Chess is not popular and it needs analytical and logical thinking , anticipating the
moves of the opponents and planning counter-moves far ahead. Not all can play
chess. So Viswanathan Anand's achievement goes unnoticed.

What about Prakash Padukone. He was a world champion and how many people
recognised him ?

In tennis we have won the wimbledon doubles , Leander Paes and Bhupathi. But
no one has suggested Bharat Ratna. Again, we did not play against South Africa
and SA got the world title by default. How many people watch Tennis, Shuttle,
table-tennis or chess.

We have world champions in billiards also, again gone unnoticed.

Sir,

People are worshipping Sachin because the game is popular and you can see the kids playing it in the streets.

Chess is not popular and it needs analytical and logical thinking , anticipating the
moves of the opponents and planning counter-moves far ahead. Not all can play
chess. So Viswanathan Anand's achievement goes unnoticed.

What about Prakash Padukone. He was a world champion and how many people
recognised him ?

In tennis we have won the wimbledon doubles , Leander Paes and Bhupathi. But
no one has suggested Bharat Ratna. Again, we did not play against South Africa
and SA got the world title by default. How many people watch Tennis, Shuttle,
table-tennis or chess.

We have world champions in billiards also, again gone unnoticed.

Popularity is an inherent rule of the game to award Bharat Ratna or any other award. But I can't say Anand is not famous. He is a darling of the entire country, unlike Cricket where opinion differs. I would have no problem if he was given Bharat Ratna. Padukone won All England Championships once, and thats all; I don't think it equates to World Champion status. It was like winning one Olympic Gold Medal. It was big, but it doesn't rise up further to the Bharat Ratna level we are debating.

How about Lata Mangeshkar? I won't think twice. Her melody has gripped the nation for many decades....rasik balama, haay, dil kyon lagaaya

Sachin

If one tabulates the outstanding sportsmen and their achievements you will naturally find Sachin on top. He has made it over 2 decades. The world accepts him as great and rightly so. Of course Anand plays game with his mathematical mind while Sachin plays cricket with highly technical application of his mind. Bharat Ratna is for high achievers and every sportsman cannot be given this crown. We cannot ask for one for Kapil Dev or Dhoni for winning World Cups. Anand and Sachin deserve it because they have stayed on longer. Like you cannot give BR to every politician, you cannot give BR to every sportsman for one time achievement or near-about achievements. I am proud of every sportsman of this country. Ramanathan Krishnan was a great Tennis player, had reached heights in the game – David Cup and Wimbledon. And Amrut Raj Bros too. Yes cricket is a popular game but that cannot deny cricketers any credit.

Dr.Bharani,
Sunil Gavaskar's other achivement after his play days,He exposed the Domination of whites(cricket boards) and took the case/cause for the upper hand of boards of countries like India,pak,srilanka.
alwan

Dr. Barani,

I am not a very big fan of sachin to be very frank but I agree to the points of Bharat Ratna. However arent we forgetting that the Era of tendulkar also co-incides with another great whose name is never ever mentioned in any forum. If we rewind the clocks, in every overseas series victory there would have been a notable contribution from The Wall Rahul Sharad Dravid be it the 270 at australia or 145 in england or the other centuries in other countries. In fact as per the stats there are only two ocassions where india have lost the test after dravid scoring century the last being the first test at lords.

A follow-up question: Let us for the sake of argument give Sachin the Bharat Ratna, after all he is the highest scorer in test cricket.

Now what do we feel about a Bharat Ratna selling toothpaste in TV commercials?

A follow-up question: Let us for the sake of argument give Sachin the Bharat Ratna, after all he is the highest scorer in test cricket.

Now what do we feel about a Bharat Ratna selling toothpaste in TV commercials?

Um... most people have the memory span of a goldfish, so I guess the award will have no impact.

I play games (someone said, "Big boys play at night").
I sing (in bathroom)
I am an artist (show different face to different people)
I am an Indian citizen
I am honest (otherwise I would not have admitted what I have mentioned above)

Any one to propose me to the post of PM or President? (at least to the position of Telecom Minister in the Union cabinet?)

I play games (someone said, "Big boys play at night").
I sing (in bathroom)
I am an artist (show different face to different people)
I am an Indian citizen
I am honest (otherwise I would not have admitted what I have mentioned above)

Any one to propose me to the post of PM or President? (at least to the position of Telecom Minister in the Union cabinet?)

NO!!!! You dont stand up for Gay Rights!!!!
You can be considered for the post of the Minister for Ministry of Human Affairs and have Ravi and Sravna as your deputies.

Last edited:
NO!!!! You dont stand up for Gay Rights!!!!
You can be considered for the post of the Minister for Ministry of Human Affairs and have Ravi and Sravna as your deputies.

Hey Renuka, thats really a genuine comment...

You took the middle path in Gay Marriage legalization issue. You said they are passionate humans too and children of GOD (including me no one deneys that), but you don't feel leagalization of gay marraige is required [ You didn't give any clear views of yours as why so? ] (but than agreed when Shri Kunujuppu expalined the need of legalization for monetary/benefits inheritances).

If Shri Haridasa Siva, being a Gay Marriage disproving person for the sake of society, been offered with Ministry of Human Affairs and me and Shri Sravna be appointed as his deputeis, what will be you contribution? Would you support our team or would you ditch us?

Hey Renuka, thats really a genuine comment...

You took the middle path in Gay Marriage legalization issue. You said they are passionate humans too and children of GOD (including me no one deneys that), but you don't feel leagalization of gay marraige is required [ You didn't give any clear views of yours as why so? ] (but than agreed when Shri Kunujuppu expalined the need of legalization for monetary/benefits inheritances).

If Shri Haridasa Siva, being a Gay Marriage disproving person for the sake of society, been offered with Ministry of Human Affairs and me and Shri Sravna be appointed as his deputeis, what will be you contribution? Would you support our team or would you ditch us?

Hey guys..I will support you guys and then rope in Amala and make a peaceful demo in front of your Ministry seeking gay rights.Then we will try to get Indian Citizenship and stand againts you Trimurti in the next elections!!!

Thats politics yaar..no rules apply!!!

Last edited:
Hey guys..I will support you guys and then rope in Amala and make a peaceful demo in front of your Ministry seeking gay rights.Then we will try to get Indian Citizenship and stand againts you Trimurti in the next elections!!!

Thats politics yaar..no rules apply!!!

Oh yeah, Indian politics!!!!!!!!!!..and Indian citizens of today!!!!!! . If so changing are the peopple than obviously no wrong in politicians changing their stand time to time..

Hmmmm, so you want Amala to make a peaceful demo in front of our Ministry..Make sure if Amala would agree for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back