• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Sabrimala Temple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course, women can see. They cannot tread on Sabarimala during their menstruating age period that's all, because the belief is that it will make the place impure or aSuddha.

Dear Sangom ji,

Now I think women of the reproductive age post puberty and pre menopause were not allowed in the temple grounds cos men might not be able to control themselves since from the recent understanding that the average Indian males is a potential predator!LOL

I guess we better start having male timings and female timings for temples too.

In Islam...if a husband gets ready for prayer after his ritual cleansing for a Namaz and just say while going to the prayer room or mosque he accidentally knocks into his wife..his whole pre prayer cleansing ritual becomes annulled...an he is considered impure.

So he has to repeat the cleansing pre prayer ritual again.

So I think going by the mindset of the easily aroused Indian male...I would suggest separate prayer halls!

Last edited:

Dear Prasad Sir,

Though I am now eligible to visit Sabarimalai, I have not visited so far.

Thank you very much for posting this wonderful virtual tour! :yo:

Dear Sangom ji,

Now I think women of the reproductive age post puberty and pre menopause were not allowed in the temple grounds cos men might not be able to control themselves since from the recent understanding that the average Indian males is a potential predator!LOL

In Islam...if a husband gets ready for prayer after his ritual cleansing for a Namaz and just say while going to the prayer room or mosque he accidentally knocks into his wife..his whole pre prayer cleansing ritual becomes annulled...an he is considered impure.

So I think going by the mindset of the easily aroused Indian male...I would suggest separate prayer halls!

Renukaji,
Mixing two different threads, but coming up with hilarious post.

Dear Renu,

Indian males are NOT that bad as you think. They only dash on females while rushing through the Qs.

When I was in my late teens, I had a very bad experience at Guruvayoor temple. One fat guy like 'uLundhu

mAvu' - top less - was dashing against me from behind, sending puffs of his hot breath over my shoulders.

I could not tolerate even for a minute and so told him 'choRi patti! Go to the front!' and made him move in
front of me! Till 2008, I did not go to that temple! :fear:

P.S: I remembered only 'choRi patti' which meant 'choRi nAy' and not any more in Malayalam!

Dear Sangom ji,

Smt. Renuka,

"cos men might not be able to control themselves since from the recent understanding that the average Indian males is a potential predator!"

You are correct to a certain extent, if it gives you some satisfaction of scoring brownie points.

I have some ideas about this Sabarimala pilgrimage of more than sixty years ago. It was like what is in the photo attached. Only the lower castes of Kerala used to visit the temple. For tabras, Ayyappa was only a marginal deity - their brahmin version was SAsthA and we used to conduct SAsthA preethi which was invariably accompanied by a full-fledged brahmin feast with one particular type of pAyAsam known here as "iDicchu pizhinju pAyasm" in Mallu. This is now done even in Mumbai, Delhi and possibly in some gulf locations too.

People had to observe the vratam for 41 days (known as maNDala kAlam) and then only go because right from Kottayam, they had to trek it out, taking about 15 to 20 days each way. Opium was indispensable for this because Malaria of the virulent variety was endemic in all those areas uphill. Plus there was real danger from wild animals like leopards, lions (very very rarely) and single elephants which are very invariably very ferocious.

Women (of the lower castes) did not dare to venture in such a pilgrimage. Slowly it became the rule and the reason of ritual impurity to the deity itself must have been invented when the intrepid high caste people commenced going to the temple, in order to keep their dominating womenfolk under check.

But your analysis will surely apply today and many women will get putrbhAgya from ayyappan himself if females of all ages are allowed. But the rush will become impossible to manage, what with so many potential predators observing celibacy compulsorily and finding a most congenial opportunity to hunt over the hills!!

Smt. Renuka,

"cos men might not be able to control themselves since from the recent understanding that the average Indian males is a potential predator!"

You are correct to a certain extent, if it gives you some satisfaction of scoring brownie points.

I have some ideas about this Sabarimala pilgrimage of more than sixty years ago. It was like what is in the photo attached. Only the lower castes of Kerala used to visit the temple. For tabras, Ayyappa was only a marginal deity - their brahmin version was SAsthA and we used to conduct SAsthA preethi which was invariably accompanied by a full-fledged brahmin feast with one particular type of pAyAsam known here as "iDicchu pizhinju pAyasm" in Mallu. This is now done even in Mumbai, Delhi and possibly in some gulf locations too.

People had to observe the vratam for 41 days (known as maNDala kAlam) and then only go because right from Kottayam, they had to trek it out, taking about 15 to 20 days each way. Opium was indispensable for this because Malaria of the virulent variety was endemic in all those areas uphill. Plus there was real danger from wild animals like leopards, lions (very very rarely) and single elephants which are very invariably very ferocious.

Women (of the lower castes) did not dare to venture in such a pilgrimage. Slowly it became the rule and the reason of ritual impurity to the deity itself must have been invented when the intrepid high caste people commenced going to the temple, in order to keep their dominating womenfolk under check.

But your analysis will surely apply today and many women will get putrbhAgya from ayyappan himself if females of all ages are allowed. But the rush will become impossible to manage, what with so many potential predators observing celibacy compulsorily and finding a most congenial opportunity to hunt over the hills!!

Attachment given.

Attachments

• sabarimala.jpg1.jpg
    sabarimala.jpg1.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 153
In India, there is no Bill of rights. So Indian understanding of Democracy is skewed. The majority thinks they can dictate the terms to others, if they have the necessary votes. Individual freedom is at peril, because there is no culture of Individualism. In India we still believe in Kings (even though kingdoms have gone), we believe in surrender, and even God is treated as King, the absolute ruler. So we as individual do not challenge the atrocities committed by few goodness. The Delhi Rape case is the first instance of mass protest leading to criminal charges.

Similarly A quasi government owned organization is able to bar a section of people from attending a public/religious function. A government should not meddle into religion, or make sure that all its citizen can participate.

I can understand a private person can admit or bar others from entering a private property.

This caste or gender based barriers to public places are purely arbitrary, and autocratic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back