• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Rituals

Status
Not open for further replies.
sunkr,

this is not directed at you. but at ourselves, as a community.

the need to go to temples, is so urgent, and good feeling. i myself, not a regular temple goer, soon after deaths in the family, felt an immense urgency to vist the temples, to prostate before the Gods, and console myself in the ambiency.

what type of strictures is it, that makes death, as 'unholy', and puts so much restrictions, on something, which is a simple affirmation of our faith.

truly, we need, to, reinvent ourselves, our faith.

sorry sun for hijacking your thread. could not help myself on this one...

can we go to temples soon after mother's demise

It is the custom and belief that after performing "Subha sweekaram - Grahyam" on 13th
day the bereaved family to visit a temple. Then onwards the family is advised to lead their normal life. Visit to "kula deivam" can be done after "varushabdikam".

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

souls have to be appeased. Going to temples soon after death of one will not lease the soul. hence it is to be avoided.
sundararajan

It is the custom and belief that after performing "Subha sweekaram - Grahyam" on 13th
day the bereaved family to visit a temple. Then onwards the family is advised to lead their normal life. Visit to "kula deivam" can be done after "varushabdikam".

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

thanks Brahmanyan.

but i got the same advice, as what sundachu gave in #5. had to wait a full year, and by then, the need went away.................

can we go to temples soon after mother's demise

You already have very good guidelines provided by learned people here.
It depends on the what you want to believe. The answers will depend on your personal faith, and of your family. It also varies from location to location.
In the north India, they do Shokh Sabha after the death in the family for guest to visit with the family. This is also performed at the local temple. We had to accommodate their wishes in our temple in USA, to the chagrin of orthodox south Indians.

So ultimately it boils down to the prevailing custom in your community.

I am sorry for your loss.

Last edited:
thanks Brahmanyan.

but i got the same advice, as what sundachu gave in #5. had to wait a full year, and by then, the need went away.................

Sri. Kunjuppu,

I did not get any such advice. I was asked not to visit any temple over an hill for the one year period. But was okay to viste any other temple after day 13. ( as one would expect, I did ask for the explanation... the explanation was quite interesting... our vadhyar said, 'not to climb any hill for one year; temple or no temple!'. Only on placing restriction to climb a hill he said not to go to any temple on a hill!). We didn't even have any restriction to conduct prayers and poojas at home/ or any other temples.

Cheers!

Do you mean strictures or scriptures?

strictures.

i meant it as a curtailment to an activity. derived from the word strict..

stricturesplural of stric·ture (Noun)Noun:
1.A restriction on a person or activity: "religious strictures on everyday life".
2.A sternly critical or censorious remark or instruction

strictures.

i meant it as a curtailment to an activity. derived from the word strict..

stricturesplural of stric·ture (Noun)Noun:
1.A restriction on a person or activity: "religious strictures on everyday life".
2.A sternly critical or censorious remark or instruction

Thanks for the clarification and information.

As per the tradition/belief system, as I am been told -

When one of our family member's soul departs, the rest of the members should grieve/feel for the departed soul and be concentrated in performing Karmas for a year.

12 months are equal to 1 day for the world of departed souls. Thus we should offer our homage to the departed soul for the full one year and seek their blessings. It is said that, the soul which is revered by its family members, blesses them and the soul's prayers for the well being of the family will be honoured.

Since the family members would be revering the departed soul and would try to make the soul happy and seek its blessing, the family members would be in "Theetu". Such family members should never visit any temple that got "GajaSthambam/Kodi Maram" installed, and that of the hill top temples.

They can visit any other temples and can do prayers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back