• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Ritualism

prasad1

The Sikh faith condemns empty rituals and superstitions. The practice of blind rituals, worshiping of idols and inanimate objects, participating in religious fasts, pilgrimage to holy places, offering of food to sadhus (religious leaders). Believing in any other such rituals, superstitions or fads, or other meaningless rituals will not bring one closer to God or make one a better human being.

In all societies round the world, through fear and uncertainty, members undertake in ritualistic and worthless behaviour at times of worry, uncertainty or trouble. These poor people wrongly believe that undertaking these empty customs and penances will bring them special assistance from Waheguru or some other higher power.

The reliance on these blind customs appears to increase at time of stress in human existence. For example, In 1989, Susan Starr Sered conducted fieldwork among women who had just had a baby on the maternity ward of a Jerusalem hospital. The women whom she interviewed reported having performed close to two hundred different religious and secular rituals during pregnancy, birth, and the immediate postpartum period. So, it is clear that ritualism has not faded but may be on the increase.

Superstition is an irrational belief arising from ignorance or doubt. Many people all around the world are gripped by various superstitions and they live their lives in fear and uncertainty. Most of these fears are irrational and superfluous but they still cannot unbind themselves from these evil and false notions. Some common and well-known examples of superstitions are:

"When a black cat crosses one's path, something will happen if one crosses the line where the cat passed. To "undo", either wait for someone who didn't know about the black cat to cross the path or think of another route."
"If you wash your hair on the first day of the month you will have a short life."
"The number 13 in the western world is considered an unlucky number. This double-digit represents Judas, who was the guest at the Last Supper who betrayed Jesus. As a result it is also thought to be unlucky to have a dinner party with 13 guests. Many hotels are missing a thirteenth floor or have omitted the number from their room doors. Friday the 13th of any month is said to be an unlucky day."
However, the Guru Granth Sahib says "The mind is diseased with doubt, superstition, and duality."(SGGS p416) and also "High and low, social class and status - the world wanders, lost in superstition." (SGGS p1243). Superstition is like a disease for the mind. It brings confusion and fear and takes you away from reality.

But Sikhs have their own rituals too isnt it?

1) Kesh( uncut hair)
2) Kanga(comb)
3)Kara( bangle)
4)Kachera( undergarment)
5)Kirpan

I prefer to call all these 5 as rituals of the Sikh religion because the superstition word is kind of judgemental.

Coming to "superstitions"..it could be back in time it all depended on the mindset of the people..may be some superstition had some deeper mechanics that i am yet to understand or it could even be fear based or material based.

Recently I attended a funeral of my husband's side relative and the "priest" conducting the funeral was doing rituals that I had never seen in my life but I stopped him when he said some rather unusual words.
The priest was saying that "may the deceased be born again in his lineage as a grandchild or greatgrandchild"

This is where I stopped him.
I told him " the ultimate aim of every Hindu is moksha..our Karma and God decides that..lets hope for moksha and not hope for the deceased to come back to this material world"

This is where one can see that his words could just be some tradition of making people feel better that the deceased person will be born again in the family.

Its just a basic desire of a grieving person to want to see their deceased loved one..but is that really the goal of our existence?

No it isnt.

So would I call what the priest uttered a superstition?
Not really..but I rather call it as a prayer for those who still prefer the cycle of life and death.

Its the mindset that differs.

Latest ads

Back