• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Reversal of Fortune Isolates India's Brahmins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reversal of Fortune Isolates India's Brahmins

By ERIC BELLMAN(See Corrections & Amplifications item below.)
CHENNAI, India -- Brahmins, as Hinduism's priestly and scholarly caste, have traditionally occupied a place of privilege in India.
Brahmins have been advisers to Maharajas, Mughals and military rulers. Under British rule, they served as administrators, a position they kept after Indian independence in 1947.

But in today's India, high-caste privileges are dwindling, and with the government giving extensive preferences to the lower-caste majority, many Brahmins are feeling left out of the economy's rapid expansion.

R. Parameswaran has suffered that reversal of fortune. The 29-year-old starts every day with a prayer to the Hindu god Shiva, marking his forehead with red and white powder to let the world know he is a Brahmin. In his home village, his caste's mark brought him respect, but since he moved to Chennai, a sprawling high-tech city in the southern state of Tamil Nadu, in the late 1990s, he has found his status a liability.
In Tamil Nadu, nearly 70% of government jobs and public-college slots are reserved for people from lower castes and other historically disadvantaged groups. Although he says he graduated near the top of his high-school class and had strong test scores, Mr. Parameswaran couldn't get into any of the state engineering colleges. His family had to borrow from friends to send him to a second-rate private college.
He now teaches English at a small vocational school. On a salary of $100 a month, Mr. Parameswaran can't afford an apartment, so he sleeps in the classroom at night. "I am suffering," says the intense young man, using the exaggerated enunciation of an English teacher. "Unfortunately, I was born as a Brahmin."

Although the role of Brahmins has never been synonymous with accumulating wealth, many are affluent enough to educate their children in the better private schools. On average, members of the caste, who make up about 5% of India's population of 1.1 billion, are better educated and better paid than the rest of Indian people.

The term Brahmin has come to be used globally to describe those at the top of the heap with an attitude to match, as in Boston Brahmins. Yet close to half of Brahmin households earn less than $100 a month, according to the Center for a Study of Developing Societies, a New Delhi think tank. For these Brahmins, the array of state-mandated preferences for other groups present a high hurdle.

The reverse discrimination is rooted in Indian history and politics. For decades, Brahmins were resented for their dominance of the government, economy and culture. Indeed, political parties in Tamil Nadu sprang from anti-Brahmin feelings. "If you see a Brahmin and a snake, kill the Brahmin first" was an old slogan.

A national constitution adopted in 1950 reserved more than 20% of government jobs for lower castes. In 1990, an additional 27% were set aside for what were called "other backward castes." Some states set higher quotas, including Tamil Nadu, which reserves 69% of government jobs for lower castes and other needy groups.

The ugliest Brahmin bashing in India ended years ago, but Mr. Parameswaran says that in college in the late 1990s, he still faced ridicule as a Brahmin. He says one student tried to break his sacred thread, a simple circle of twine Brahmins wear under their clothes.
After college, he had an internship in a state-owned chemical company, but says he was told he wouldn't be hired, as there were openings only for lower-caste applicants. He says he took exams to join national railways, state banks and other government agencies, such as the immigration department, but found most posts closed to all Brahmins except the most brilliant.

From his makeshift home where he sleeps with a blanket on a desk most nights, Mr. Parameswaran still applies for government jobs. He pulls out his latest application form and shows a visitor where he always gets stuck: the three squares where he has to write the abbreviation indicating his caste. "I want government work," he says, shaking the application, "but they have no jobs for Brahmins."

Mr. Parameswaran has tried to adapt to the lessening of caste distinctions taking place in many parts of India today, especially in cities. The changes are less in villages such as the one where he grew up some 200 miles away. There, his grandfather, who is 101 years old, still won't wear Western clothes and won't eat outside of his home for fear of mixing with lower castes.
NA-AO938_BRAHMI_20071228203650.gif

Mr. Parameswaran's father has a job with the state telephone company and is more liberal. He dresses in shirts and pants, doesn't mind eating at restaurants and doesn't expect lower-caste neighbors to take off their sandals in his presence.

Mr. Parameswaran has had good friends from lower castes all his life, many of whom have used their communities to grab good government jobs, he says. He won't eat meat but has no qualms sharing a meal with people of any caste or creed. His 22-year-old sister, R. Dharmambal, is even more liberal, he says. "She will take non-vegetarian food," he exclaims, using the common Indian term for eating meat.

Mr. Parameswaran often visits the sister in the Brahmin enclave of Mylapore. On a recent day there, dozens of shirtless priests in the traditional Brahmin uniform of a white dhoti and partially shaved head were standing around at a Hindu-scriptures school, hoping for work. For as little as 100 rupees, about $2.50, they offered to perform complicated rituals and blessings required when any Hindu has a baby, a wedding or a new home.

"My sons can't support me, so I have to survive by performing Hindu rituals," says K. Narayana, an 81-year-old scholar. "If we had been from another community, we would have had better opportunities."

Nearby stands the Kapaleeshwara Temple, with towering gates of colorful carvings from Hindu mythology. It is one of the most important places for worship for followers of Shiva, the Hindu god of destruction. The temple used to be surrounded by rows of simple single-story homes, each with its own courtyard and well so the Brahmin families wouldn't have to share water with other castes. Most houses have been replaced by concrete apartment blocks and small stores.

At the temple's back gate, Brahmins beg for spare change or look for odd jobs as cooks or even bearers of bodies to funeral pyres, normally a lower-caste pursuit.

"I see so many Brahmins begging" in Mylapore, Mr. Parameswaran says. "It's very difficult to see. It makes me totally upset."

—Tariq Engineer contributed to this article.Write to Eric Bellman at [email protected]

Corrections & Amplifications:
The percentage of Brahmin households in India that earned less than $100 a month was about 50% in 2007 and 65% in 2004, according to the Center for the Study of Developing Societies. This article fails to note that the study mentioned in the article was from 2007, while the statistics in the accompanying chart were from 2004.

Printed in The Wall Street Journal
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119889387595256961.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Sri Subramanyam,

I am really pained to read the story. Can you please try to find the address and contact details of Sri Parameswaran. Let us try to help him

All the best

this is an very old story from wall street journal. atleast 2 years if not more.

i opined at that time, either in this forum or another: parameswaran is a whiner. it makes a story to say such things to a foreign journal and get exposure. nothing wrong with that.

on the contrary, i think, his sister is a go getter, adjusting to the realities and find opportunities - she is doubly whammed - a brahmin, a woman.

it is very easy to find faults with the system. i cannot believe, in this age, with a little of self enterprise, this guy cannot get a job in i.t. or related.

one of my relatives, a poor guy, took contract for coffee supply in one of the i.t. buildings in velacheri. they work 24x7 and he was always on the spot with coffee, tea and snacks delivered to the desks.

he makes more money than the i.t. managers even.

rvr, maybe if you talk to this guy, give him some pep talk and tell him to stop whining about loss of opportunities, respect and once-greatness.

this is an very old story from wall street journal. atleast 2 years if not more.

i opined at that time, either in this forum or another: parameswaran is a whiner. it makes a story to say such things to a foreign journal and get exposure. nothing wrong with that.

on the contrary, i think, his sister is a go getter, adjusting to the realities and find opportunities - she is doubly whammed - a brahmin, a woman.

it is very easy to find faults with the system. i cannot believe, in this age, with a little of self enterprise, this guy cannot get a job in i.t. or related.

one of my relatives, a poor guy, took contract for coffee supply in one of the i.t. buildings in velacheri. they work 24x7 and he was always on the spot with coffee, tea and snacks delivered to the desks.

he makes more money than the i.t. managers even.

rvr, maybe if you talk to this guy, give him some pep talk and tell him to stop whining about loss of opportunities, respect and once-greatness.

Kunjuppu ji,

If I am able to meet him, I shall definitely guide him to a good career. Blaming others is not going to help and we have to manage ourselves. May be this guy didn't get proper guidance from his elders and other relatives.

Majority of our boys and girls are coming our with flying colours inspite of the so called `reverse discrimination'. It is just will and determination required to overcome the present bottlenecks.

Just now only I noticed that it is 2007 article. Anyway better late not than ever. If some body helps me to bring him to may contact, I shall definitely help him with proper counselling and guidance.

All the best

what about reserved casts whining for years.

Come on.....what is this community for? ..discussing arts, dance and songs. For heavens sake what about those other castes in India complaining about discrimination when there is 70 % reservation for them everywhere and they are still not satisfied.
Sir, either you are not a brahmin or have joined this forum for entertainment. And everyone is not cut out fot I.T jobs. There are a lot of brahmins working as priests who get nothing for their job and dont have means of supporting their family
@RGV:..i dont have any means of finding out his address. It was just to bring light to our story and discuss thing that are more important than hindu vedas, art and music, which i am sorry being from the younger generation i dont follow.
The reason i have joined this group and have posted this article is because, as a brahmin we draw a lot of parallels with jews, given our sad history, which for most part has not been reported. We have suffered immensely(in the modern history) and still continue to argue about whether discrimination ruined hinduism. We have this fake sense of superiority and would like to believe that we still have an edge given our status (which is far from true).
What is funny, we compete with each others the most, as i evidenced in my family and are basically are of no help to each other and show lack of sympathy when it comes to our own people.
The previous guy pointed out that this guy whines a lot, what about the unnecessary violence against him, what does it do the psyche of this person. Indians unite when Australians had beaten up a bunch of Indian students abroad, why this attitude towards our kind( if you do belong to our kind, which i highly doubt if you do).

Come on.....what is this community for? ..discussing arts, dance and songs. For heavens sake what about those other castes in India complaining about discrimination when there is 70 % reservation for them everywhere and they are still not satisfied.
Sir, either you are not a brahmin or have joined this forum for entertainment. And everyone is not cut out fot I.T jobs. There are a lot of brahmins working as priests who get nothing for their job and dont have means of supporting their family
@RGV:..i dont have any means of finding out his address. It was just to bring light to our story and discuss thing that are more important than hindu vedas, art and music, which i am sorry being from the younger generation i dont follow.
The reason i have joined this group and have posted this article is because, as a brahmin we draw a lot of parallels with jews, given our sad history, which for most part has not been reported. We have suffered immensely(in the modern history) and still continue to argue about whether discrimination ruined hinduism. We have this fake sense of superiority and would like to believe that we still have an edge given our status (which is far from true).
What is funny, we compete with each others the most, as i evidenced in my family and are basically are of no help to each other and show lack of sympathy when it comes to our own people.
The previous guy pointed out that this guy whines a lot, what about the unnecessary violence against him, what does it do the psyche of this person. Indians unite when Australians had beaten up a bunch of Indian students abroad, why this attitude towards our kind( if you do belong to our kind, which i highly doubt if you do).

Sri Subramaniam,

Personally I know pathetic situation of lot of our boys and girls. When I read the article, I was really surprised that Wall Street Journal has captured our pathetic situation.

Any way let us try to help as many `Paremeswarans' as possible through this forum tapping all the resources at our command. When you happen to come across such guys, please inform the forum. There are lot of people in our forum willing to help such needy people.

We have to help ourselves and we cannot blame anybody.

All the best

Aye...
Kudos RVRji.... Even I'm willing to help... not only Brahmans but also the deserving peoples. First... we must stimulate our people to hunt job for private sector... Look at the Call Center jobs... a lot of them are available :). We can advice our youngsters to pursue such jobs, which pays heavily (but the work will be hard... then what... no pains no gains) We must educate our boys about the umpteen opportunities in private sectors... where they pay a reasonable sum.

Regards
Sridhar K

Gobind Gobind Gobind Gopal Kripa

Aye...
Kudos RVRji.... Even I'm willing to help... not only Brahmans but also the deserving peoples. First... we must stimulate our people to hunt job for private sector... Look at the Call Center jobs... a lot of them are available :). We can advice our youngsters to pursue such jobs, which pays heavily (but the work will be hard... then what... no pains no gains) We must educate our boys about the umpteen opportunities in private sectors... where they pay a reasonable sum.

Regards
Sridhar K

Gobind Gobind Gobind Gopal Kripa

Thanks Sri Sridhar,

We are forming a separate trust to help our community people and you can see the progress in the following thread.

http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/sponsorship-volunteers/2023-trust-poor-brahmin.html

We shall make things happen instead of just talking.

Let us also help other downtrodden people to the best possible extent. Few months back I posted a request in our forum for financial support to a charitable school meant for fishermen community under the following thread

http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/sponso...request-help-dayananda-saraswathi-school.html

and lot of our community members supported the cause to the best of their abilities.

Instead of doing lip service, let us do some thing concrete.

All the best

Last edited:
Ok... fine... no probs.... We have already formed srinidhi yethirajar charitable trust in Srirangam. This week end probably I'll be visiting SRGM. The Head of the Trust (my friend) also is willing to join hands with others too... so we can mutually work towards it.

I agree that we have to help those who are in need of and if we can. There is no doubt about. The Kerala Brahmin associations are doing whatever they can even in different districts of Kerala.

Projecting such reports may be not beneficial to us. What struck me on reading the WSJ article is this. As of 2004, while 65% of the brahmins had monthly income less than $100, the relative percentage for the other groups ranged higher, from 74 to 91. Since brahmins constituted only 5% of the total whereas each of the other groups was 9% or more, it means both percentage-wise and in terms of absolute numbers, poor brahmins were less as compared to any other group, in spite of the reverse discrimination operating for so many years since 1990. The data, therefore, cuts at the very root of the claim that brahmins are suffering, though discriminated against, they may be. Is my conclusion right?

Ok... fine... no probs.... We have already formed srinidhi yethirajar charitable trust in Srirangam. This week end probably I'll be visiting SRGM. The Head of the Trust (my friend) also is willing to join hands with others too... so we can mutually work towards it.

Definitely let us work in co-ordination with other trusts also.

All the best

wondr why kunjuppu wrote like that?

poor fellow,how can anybody chop his poonal?how dare they?as far his sister 'aatufying' her assets would have made maha nagaram kazhagam shed their thundoose and vetties.sic!

Subramanian,

May I point out, if you don’t mind, the #1 etiquette in any forum, is to attack the contents of the post, and not the poster. I am only pointing this out to you, as you are a new member here, and might as well start you on the track, especially your comments about the veracity of my brahminhood. Ok?

I have read the original post 3 years ago, along with a bigger photo of this gentleman parameswaran, in WSJ front page. I suspect from his comments, that he does not do the necessary hustling to get ahead in life.parama would rather be content to accept the first job that comes across and wail about his ‘misfortune’ birth caste.

Experience has me saying, that this guy, if you help him, is the type who is going to continue depend on you to further his career. There will always be, for parama, the caste boogeyman, out to prevent him getting ahead in life. Promotions denied to him, he will say, solely on his caste..

Nary for a minute, will parama examine himself, and candidly agree on his weaknesses. Once this is done, he can take steps to correct the shortcomings and try again.

All of us face discriminations, folks outside india as much so, in many fields. We just do not give up, and whine about

The appeal, you notice, is to your emotions and not to your rationale. Put yourself in his situation and what would your actions and reactions would be? Would you sit and whine, and work towards rectifying your behavioural shortcoming, find other avenues to approach and get what you want in life.

I am not so sure, that it is impossible, as he says, for a Brahmin, to find a network of well wishers. Much as we malign our community, I think, there is plenty of goodwill, and to a deserving youth, people will automatically lend their hands. I used the word ‘deserving’.

I am not convinced this guy is deserving. I have nothing against him as a person, but the character he projects here, is that of a loser. Just look at his excuses – loss of respect tops it. Way out of sync with the modern world. He may be better off going back to his village and live on the ‘respect’ that he expects to get there.

I do not consider myself hard hearted, but I think, one also needs to select the object of charity carefully. I would help his sister anyday to get ahead.

If cases like parama are that prevalent, can each of us atleast bring out one instances of such helplessness as he portrays, and as crushed as he has us believe. I have a credibility issue here. That is all.

i have had relatives, friends, who needed a step up in life. most of them did not even ask, but it was so apparent, that we volunteered, and there was no dearth of volunteers. others were deadbeats, and we left them alone.

I agree that we have to help those who are in need of and if we can. There is no doubt about. The Kerala Brahmin associations are doing whatever they can even in different districts of Kerala.

Projecting such reports may be not beneficial to us. What struck me on reading the WSJ article is this. As of 2004, while 65% of the brahmins had monthly income less than $100, the relative percentage for the other groups ranged higher, from 74 to 91. Since brahmins constituted only 5% of the total whereas each of the other groups was 9% or more, it means both percentage-wise and in terms of absolute numbers, poor brahmins were less as compared to any other group, in spite of the reverse discrimination operating for so many years since 1990. The data, therefore, cuts at the very root of the claim that brahmins are suffering, though discriminated against, they may be. Is my conclusion right?

Sri Sangom Sir,

All the communities in India have poorer sections and brahmins are no exception. We are not at all against other communities enjoying benefits from the Government.

The article only shows that approximately two third of the brahmins are also poor. Why other communities are objecting for poorer sections in brahmin community.

Traditionally brahmins were never rich except a few like any other communities. Brahmins in the past have even refused money and material benefits. Saint Thiagayya composed a song `nidhi saala sugama' about 160 years back refusing power and material offerings of the King. During freedom struggle, lot of brahmins have sacrificed their lives and wealth for the national cause. Even today communist movement in India is patronised mostly by Brahmins.But such things are deliberately sidelined and one or two excesses here and there are brought to lime light in this forum by few members with an ulterior motive to show all of us in poor light.

Even in this forum when I made an appeal for donation to a school meant for fishermen community, only brahmins in this forum came forward with donations. What is the use of doing lip service to daliths. All the political parties are doing this type of lip service for decades.

AIMS for Seva has master plans to start 100 such schools only in rural areas where SC ST population is high in the next few years. AIM for Seva

Instead of doing lip service for daliths, I wish people get associated with such movements if they are really interested in dalith upliftment.

All the best

Last edited:
Well we may not be as bad as he rest and you can attribute it to our hard work, but the question is not are we really that poor, it is about how much further can we improve our situation.
It is about improving the situation of Tamil Brahmins, and not needy Indians, because India is a poor country we will become bankrupt if we try to help out each and every needy community in India. Besides there is enough representation for each group in our country.
I think donations and charity dont help a person, funds that award merit based scholarships for students ready to work and show progress should be offered. Also to make the site more credible, one needs to market this site better and invite some credible members. Ater all we have a huge network of successful tam brahms everywhere and they should know about this group.
Also i dont want to offend anyone, but how do you find out the authenticity of a person?( whether they are really needy and tamil brahmin as well)

"A caste-ridden society is not properly secular. When a person’s beliefs become petrified in caste divisions, they affect the social structure of the state and prevent us from realising the idea of equality which we claim to place before all else." – Jawaharlal Nehru.

the importance of seeing past appearances, understanding the nature of people and what they can achieve, the ability to succeed with hard work, cleverness, and passion, and the essence of life in the professional world.

a tamil brahmin teaches you faster than you can teach yourself. the stories, the wisdom, the guidance that they provide gives you the benefit of understanding the world before you've actually lived through it.and the emotional support and reassurance that somebody who has been there, done that can offer to a wet-behind-the-ears greenhorn is comforting as you navigate your way through new experiences.parameshwaran kind of people need us,let's unite,and put our names in a database,with address,email,phone or whatever way is deemed fit to help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also i dont want to offend anyone, but how do you find out the authenticity of a person?( whether they are really needy and tamil brahmin as well)

subra,

if you mean this forum, there is no issue. this forum, has been open to all, TB & NB, as long as one is brahmin centric and wishes the community well.

we have leading members who are not TBs. on the other hand, we had folks who claimed to be TBs, and who soon had to be whipped out of this forum, for some of their obnoxious posts here.

i do not think, 'TB right or wrong' is a good policy. everything has to be verified, for if you don't you will ultimately be regretting yourself, for having been short changed.

re parama, i suggest, befor anyone does any breastbeating, take some time, to verify the bonafides, and get some past references about the nature of the guy.

this article came in 2007. if he is still in dire need, then he is more of the type of guy i suspected - a deadbeat. an enterprising person, in chennai of today, would have moved further ahead.

personally, i hope parama has moved ahead and proved my gut feeling wrong. i love to be wrong in many such instances.

if you tend to query about my TBishness, i wish to tell you that i have proved my bonafide here for a long time. it is you who should conduct yourself and hence a modum of respect here. i think so anyway.

What are you talking about, isnt this a tamil brahmin group? May be you should change the name to "rich brahmins who struggle and make it to the top help all the poor Indians"
Go to Mumbai, in a gujarathi mandal nobody but gujjus are allowed, ditto for parsis, i beling a secular Indian cannot go to any of these groups and ask for money, ok?
Thts the reality. Even in the US, there are millions of jewish organisations that provide hlep to nobody but jews, regardless of the fact that jews are one of the richest people in the world.

Sri rsubramanian06,

First I thought of ignoring this post. But ,then, I saw some indications of genuine concern , but lack of direction and sense of helplessness.
Being new to the forum, it may be better if you can swift thru the various posts
and topics already discussed in this forum. You may find answers to your queries in some of them. After that if you post, then it will be a better one and more focussed. My response to some sections of your post are in blue.

Come on.....what is this community for? ..discussing arts, dance and songs. ............................................
It only gives out youthful emotions of urging to do something , but lacking direction.shows the helplessness . There are many matured members in this forum and the community as a whole, who cannot respond or react with just emotions, but are well focussed on actions,and directions and interested to carry everybody with them. Correct actions do not need much sound bytes.
Sir, either you are not a brahmin or have joined this forum for entertainment. And everyone is not cut out fot I.T jobs.
If you had gone thru the many earlier posts in this forum, you yourselves would have edited the above lines, to read a bit more serious ,and to the point.
.............................................................. It was just to bring light to our story and discuss thing that are more important than hindu vedas, art and music, which i am sorry being from the younger generation i dont follow.
All elders were once younger generations. Just opposing the traditions only for sake of opposing is not correct. If having conviction and convinced, then there is no necessity of apologising. If apologising really with regret, then amendment of one's actions is what is needed and not just atonement. There is no dearth of problems brought to centre. It is the duty and responsibility of the younger generation also to find solutions. That will come only with co-operative and co-ordinated discussion and action,and not by just blaming tradition and elders.Once you take part regularly in these forum ,you will also be able to contribute better in this regard.
The reason i have joined this group and have posted this article is because, as a brahmin we draw a lot of parallels with jews, given our sad history, which for most part has not been reported. ..................................................................................... The unreported is left as unreported. Did you make any attempt to report them?

When you find it difficult to bring a rapproachment in your own family, can,t you imagine , how difficult to bring a grand unity in a wider community? If you understand this, then read your own post from beginning, and you may make your own amendments .
The previous guy pointed out that this guy whines a lot, what about the unnecessary violence against him, what does it do the psyche of this person. Indians unite when Australians had beaten up a bunch of Indian students abroad, why this attitude towards our kind( if you do belong to our kind, which i highly
doubt if you do).

While youthful energy is welcome, the youthful words( certain adjectives , pronouns, third party pronouns found in the post ) do not decorate this forum. Take care in future posts.

I have responded this way ,just because you are new to the forum, but I feel that you are having concern for the community. and thought that a little suggestion may improve your participation,and contribute more.

Greetings.

Hmmm, ok? When i say it was unreported i meant, it was not covered by the media, like babri masjid, godra are given so much importance, even celeb marriages get more coverage than this news.
This will never be reported in the Indian Media, it was reported by foreign press. That is what i meant. Also i just posted the article and some said they want to donate money, which i think is a bad idea.
There was this other guy who said, he thinks this guy is whiner, if it is so trivial why does wsj have an article on him?
I am surprised that eveyone was interested in statistics and mental capability of this man, but nobody objected to the fact that he was in fact physically abused for being a brahmin.
If a jew is abused for wearing his cap is abused, it is anti-semitic same goes for muslims.
I am not trying to provocate or arouse people, but this is just to bring to attention.
and also let me add, there is no impulsiveness on my part....i dont think anything can be done about this, except to leave India. Who ever is fortunate enough to leave end up leaving, the rest stay back and suffer.

Hmmm, ok? When i say it was unreported i meant, it was not covered by the media, like babri masjid, godra are given so much importance, even celeb marriages get more coverage than this news.
This will never be reported in the Indian Media, it was reported by foreign press. That is what i meant. Also i just posted the article and some said they want to donate money, which i think is a bad idea.
There was this other guy who said, he thinks this guy is whiner, if it is so trivial why does wsj have an article on him?
I am surprised that eveyone was interested in statistics and mental capability of this man, but nobody objected to the fact that he was in fact physically abused for being a brahmin.
If a jew is abused for wearing his cap is abused, it is anti-semitic same goes for muslims.
I am not trying to provocate or arouse people, but this is just to bring to attention.
and also let me add, there is no impulsiveness on my part....i dont think anything can be done about this, except to leave India. Who ever is fortunate enough to leave end up leaving, the rest stay back and suffer.

rs

he was not a whiner neither is kunjuppu.parameshwaran made a statement.tambrahms are harrassed even as i write now.but overall the mentality of paarppan and paarpathi has undergone changes,becoz we changed for the worse as fa as spiritual liberation is concered.materially we have done for ourselves so much our pithrus will be doing rock & roll carnatic style in bhuvar lokam and prolly suvar lokam as well.rvr has for info,if possible we will give it to him or he can contact wsj directly.initiative s the needed things regardless of outocme of an event.arise and awake...sanathana dharmis..:)

Definitely I am not at all suspecting the article of Wall Street Journal. It is definitely a thought provoking article on the condition of poor brahmins in India. There may be several Parameswarans among us requiring support from fellow community members.

Since the article is almost three years old, tracing this particular Parameswaran may be difficult as Wall Street Journal would have also lost track of him. Let us try to find out similar guys among us and help them to the best possible extent.

I request you to take some positive steps to identify such guys through your circles and let us all join together and do whatever best possible.

All the best

hi folks,
subu is not wrong....there are many paramesawans near Mylapore kapaleeswarar temple....everybody not i.t, people....there are many poor
boys studying in Madras sanskrit college....i know myself many....they are not engineers or i .t qualified for call cente jobs....many children of
cooks/priests still suffering in chennai/tamil nadu... i can understand about subbu's anxiety.....we have more hurdles than any another community...there are some qualities we inherited from our forefathers.....we are not community oriented...this is fact...this is kaduva sacch...

regards
tbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back