• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Retired Widow Makes Permanent Home On Cruise Ship

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

The talk on retirement Homes gave me this idea.

A retired British woman has decided to sail round the world permanently on a luxury cruise ship because it costs no more than staying in an old people's home, a newspaper reported on Sunday.

Beatrice Muller, 82, only pays 55 per cent of the official brochure price for making her home on the QE2 due to loyalty bonuses from five previous world cruises. Muller chose to make the liner her full-time home after the death of her husband two years ago. She pays 3,424 pounds ($4,818) a month to reside in Cabin 4068.

The very basic, minimum cost of living in an old people's home in London is about 2,000 pounds, she told the Sunday Express. And while her fellow pensioners while away their hours in a retirement home in Britain's damp climate, she travels the high seas, stopping at sunny destinations, playing bridge and dancing with handsome stewards.

``This is where I live and I love it,'' she told the newspaper. ``I don't have to do any shopping, I don't need to do any shopping, I don't need a car and there aren't any gas or phone bills.''

She enjoys films from the ship's cinema and communicates with her family by e-mail from the computer room. ``I would have to pay around the same to stay in an old people's home and it wouldn't nearly be as much fun as here,'' she told the newspaper.
Retired Widow Makes Permanent Home On Cruise Ship

“Why should I go home to my vacuum cleaner?” she asks rhetorically. “If I run out of money my sons will keep me here to keep me out of their hair. They’re delighted I’m safe and happy.”

Last edited:
snopes.com: Retirement Living on Cruise Ships
attachment.php

About 2 years ago my wife and I were on a cruise through the western Mediterranean aboard a Princess liner. At dinner we noticed an elderly lady sitting alone along the rail of the grand stairway in the main dining room.

I also noticed that all the staff, ships officers, waiters, busboys, etc., all seemed very familiar with this lady. I asked our waiter who the lady was, expecting to be told she owned the line, but he said he only knew that she had been on board for the last four cruises, back to back.

As we left the dining room one evening I caught her eye and stopped to say hello. We chatted and I said, "I understand you've been on this ship for the last four cruises." She replied, "Yes, that's true." I stated, "I don't understand" and she replied, without a pause, "It's cheaper than a nursing home."

Attachments

• cruise.jpg
    cruise.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 142
attachment.php

The World is a private residential cruise ship serving as a residential community, owned by its residents who live on board as the ship travels the globe. It has 165 residences (106 apartments, 19 studio apartments, and 40 studios), all owned by the ship’s Residents who can decorate with their own furniture, art, books and personal touches. There’s a deli and supermarket onboard and six restaurants if you didn’t feel like doing the washing up in your own kitchen. Before I start sounding like a salesperson for the residential cruise ship, I’ll just let you check out their promotional video.

On the one hand, it does feel like it might be one big floating cult. On the other hand, it’s a globe-trekking luxury apartment. I’m so torn…

The ship is currently on its way to Easter Island according to this marine traffic locator. So there you go. A cruise ship people permanently live on. Just thought I’d put it out there.

[video]http://aboardtheworld.com/video.htm[/video]

I probably can not afford it.
Opulent cabins aboard the ship Utopia now range in price from about $3.7 million to $26 million. But even at these prices, a key draw will be location.

Attachments

• 1024x683xcruiseship.jpg
    1024x683xcruiseship.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back