• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Resuscitating John Company - TODAY

Status
Not open for further replies.

kunjuppu

Company Man

for history buffs like me, the rise (& fall) of the east india company starting with 1591 till after the mutiny, was a fascinating story of an organization, the first corporate conglomorate, and possible the last in terms of size, power and above all span.

at its height the company carried out 1/3 of the world trade, a percentage, which i think even china will never reach.

so, imagine my pleasant surprise, that the east india company is now being revived, and that too by an indian immigrant sanjiv mehta.

sanjiv, is not your average immigrant. his ancestors were moneyed diamond traders, and he himself has a lifestory akin to the story of gurukant desai, in the mani ratnam movie, guru.

this article only briefly touches on sanjiv's trading adventures, but one can see through the gaps, the spirit of this man, to think big, trade big and make a big name for himself.

the article is 4 pages of easy reading, with the only discordant note in it, provided by amitav ghosh, who has recently come out with part 2 of his opium trilogy - the river of smoke.

my regret, is that during a recent london visit, i did not know of this place. otherwise, i would have gone there, breathed the air and come out empty handed (dont think i can ever afford any of the wares of this new john company) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back