• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Resisting Brahmin judges, over 15,000 advocates boycott Madras High Court proceedings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Resisting Brahmin judges, over 15,000 advocates boycott Madras High Court proceedings

madras-hc_350_010814011423.jpg

Demanding transparency in the appointment of new judges and recalling a list of 12 names sent to the Supreme Court, over 15,000 advocates of Madras High Court on Wednesday boycotted the court proceedings.

The advocates on Tuesday had laid siege to the chambers of the Chief Justice R.K. Agarwal and shouted slogans demanding him to be transparent in the selection process.

"If only names of those short-listed are shared with the Bar, the judiciary can avoid complications and issues like this. But alas, the whole process is not transparent and that is why we have decided to agitate and boycott the court proceedings on Wednesday," R.C. Paul Kanagaraj, president, Madras High Court Advocate Association (MHAA), had said.

Another major grievance of the advocates is the inclusion of three advocates, all Brahmins, into the selection list for appointment as High Court judges.

In fact, when a group of lawyers laid siege to chief justice's chamber, they openly shouted slogans against the inclusion of three Brahmin names in the list.

"Already there are seven Brahmin judges in the Madras High Court. If three more are added, their strength will become 10 and this will constitute 15 per cent of the total strength which is 60. There are several castes and communities which are not at all represented in the list," said J. Stalin Rajendran, an agitating advocate.

In fact, senior lawyer R. Gandhi, in a PIL filed in the High Court, contended in his petition that the inclusion of three Brahmins in the list was not only contrary to the prevailing practice of appointments on the basis of merits but also against social justice.

When the PIL came up for hearing before a division bench, Gandhi's counsel urged the matter to be referred to another bench as one of the judges was a Brahmin and another judge's senior's son's name was also in the present list.

Acceding to the demand, the bench transferred the PIL to a different bench.

Meanwhile, a large number of advocates want the present collegium system of appointments scrapped and seek a more transparent and viable system for the selection of judges.

"Entrance tests are conducted for office assistant's jobs. But for judges' appointments, just three persons make the selection. This collegium system should be done away with. Appointments should be transparent and on the basis of merit.

Moreover, it should be done as recommended by Justice K. Venkatachaliah's recommendations on the basis of giving representation to all sections of society," advocate V. Balu told India Today Online on the phone.

Resisting Brahmin judges, over 15,000 advocates boycott Madras High Court proceedings : South, News - India Today

Sad that the so called advocates who are supposed to uphold the constitution do not want any merit in filling up the positions...Even if Brahmins occupy 15%, so what..In any case the 31% Open competition which the Tamil Nadu politicians harp on has not been violated ...

It does not behove on the advocates to behave life ruffians..They were the once who hurled eggs once inside the court premises

We need to nip such racist behavior in the bud!

Hope better sense prevails!

No fire without smoke

tamil daily dinamani has a weekly column மெய்யாலுமா? the jan 19 edition has this background note about why mr gandhi is leading the campaign. his son i guess was refused judgeship.

i know that up in the north, judges are appointed by political lobbying. i guess even here it is the same.

நீதிபதிகள் நியமனப் பட்டியலை ரத்து செய்ய வேண்டும் என்று வழக்குரைஞர்களைக் கிளப்பி விட்டிருப்பதன் பின்னணியில் மூன்று முன்னாள் உச்சநீதிமன்ற நீதிபதிகள் இருக்கிறார்களாமே? மூன்று முன்னாள் நீதிபதிகளும் எப்படியும் தங்கள் வாரிசுகளை இந்தப் பட்டியலில் சேர்த்துவிட வேண்டும் என்று தலைகீழாக நின்றார்களாம்.

அத்தனை நீதிபதிகளையும் தொடர்பு கொண்டு கெஞ்சியும், மிரட்டியும் பேசிப் பார்த்தார்களாம். தங்களது முயற்சி பலிக்கவில்லை என்பதால் இப்போது பட்டியலையே ரத்து செய்ய "சமூகநீதி என்கிற பெயரில் வழக்குரைஞர்களைக் கிளப்பி விட்டிருக்கிறார்களாம்.

தேசப்பிதாவின் பெயருக்கு களங்கம் ஏற்படுத்தும் இந்த வாரிசு முயற்சி, அவரது பெயரால் நடத்தப்படுவதுதான் வேதனை என்கிறார்கள் விவரம் தெரிந்தவர்கள். அடையாறு காந்திநகர் கிளப்பில்தான் இதற்கான திட்டம் தீட்டப்பட்டதாமே, மெய்யாலுமா?

tamil daily dinamani has a weekly column மெய்யாலுமா? the jan 19 edition has this background note about why mr gandhi is leading the campaign. his son i guess was refused judgeship.

i know that up in the north, judges are appointed by political lobbying. i guess even here it is the same.

நீதிபதிகள் நியமனப் பட்டியலை ரத்து செய்ய வேண்டும் என்று வழக்குரைஞர்களைக் கிளப்பி விட்டிருப்பதன் பின்னணியில் மூன்று முன்னாள் உச்சநீதிமன்ற நீதிபதிகள் இருக்கிறார்களாமே? மூன்று முன்னாள் நீதிபதிகளும் எப்படியும் தங்கள் வாரிசுகளை இந்தப் பட்டியலில் சேர்த்துவிட வேண்டும் என்று தலைகீழாக நின்றார்களாம்.

அத்தனை நீதிபதிகளையும் தொடர்பு கொண்டு கெஞ்சியும், மிரட்டியும் பேசிப் பார்த்தார்களாம். தங்களது முயற்சி பலிக்கவில்லை என்பதால் இப்போது பட்டியலையே ரத்து செய்ய "சமூகநீதி என்கிற பெயரில் வழக்குரைஞர்களைக் கிளப்பி விட்டிருக்கிறார்களாம்.

தேசப்பிதாவின் பெயருக்கு களங்கம் ஏற்படுத்தும் இந்த வாரிசு முயற்சி, அவரது பெயரால் நடத்தப்படுவதுதான் வேதனை என்கிறார்கள் விவரம் தெரிந்தவர்கள். அடையாறு காந்திநகர் கிளப்பில்தான் இதற்கான திட்டம் தீட்டப்பட்டதாமே, மெய்யாலுமா?
there has been a change in tamilnadu . the socially elite in castes other than brahmins are competing for jobs in unreserved sectors like judiciary and are fight ing perceived brahmin domination. reservation demands may spread to IT and management jobs in private sector where brahmins have moved in. socially elite NBs would also like to oppress castes they consider lower than them like vanniars vs dalits or poor in their own castes. they are prepared to confront violently unlike brahmins. socially elite NBs would also like to move with brahmins in social sphere and marry also brahmin girls and display them as trophies. it is an interesting phenomenon.

.......socially elite NBs would also like to move with brahmins in social sphere and marry also brahmin girls and display them as trophies. it is an interesting phenomenon.

Poor fellows. They do not realize that marrying brahmin girls is a sure formula for premature death for these guys. Brahmin girls are singeing hot plasma and can be handled only by the cool brahmin ambis. We are sure going to have a number of young widows around quietly inheriting all the properties of these stupid young men along with their children.

there has been a change in tamilnadu . the socially elite in castes other than brahmins are competing for jobs in unreserved sectors like judiciary and are fight ing perceived brahmin domination. reservation demands may spread to IT and management jobs in private sector where brahmins have moved in. socially elite NBs would also like to oppress castes they consider lower than them like vanniars vs dalits or poor in their own castes. they are prepared to confront violently unlike brahmins. socially elite NBs would also like to move with brahmins in social sphere and marry also brahmin girls and display them as trophies. it is an interesting phenomenon.

Socially elite NBs are called derisively நவ பார்ப்பனர்கள். demands for reservations in the private sector is already there.

but hopefully tambrams have spread ourselves out that today, the out of proportion govt job holders are i think the mudaliars, considered a forward caste. but there is a loophole, ie one section of the mudaliars are not considered FB and most of the mudaliars try to fit into that group and get certificates.

the pillaimars have no such loopholes and are badly off. the descendents of VOC are in the streets, i hear, bpl. :(

if you are really interested in a good novel spreading last 50 years timeframe, please read, வெட்டுப்புலி by தமிழ்மகன் aka பா . வெங்கடேசன். there is a summing up para towards the end, which reflects us and our situation. the speaker below, is living, comfortably in new york, with his children, and comments to a recently arrived NB youngster...

”சட்ட சபை எங்க கையிலே இல்லை. நீதித்துறை எங்க கையிலே இல்லை. நிர்வாகமும் எங்க கையிலே இல்லை பாப்பான் உட்கார்ந்திருந்த இடமெல்லாம் இப்ப அவங்க கையிலே. ராஜாஜி இல்லே. வரதாச்சாரி இல்லே. ஆமாவா இல்லையா?”

எங்களைத்தான் நாட்டை விட்டே வெரட்டி அடிச்சுட்டாங்களே. இந்தக் கோட்டா, அந்தக் கோட்டா, ரிசர்வேஷன்னு.. செரி அதை வுடு. க்ஷேமமாத்தான் இருக்கோம். இல்லாட்டிப் போனா அங்கே தான் கோயில்லே மணி அடிச்சிட்டு இருக்கணும்…” என்று சொல்லிக் கொண்டு வந்தவர் தமிழ்ச்செல்வனைக் கேட்கிறார். ”அம்மாவும் பெரியார் கட்சியா?” என்று. தமிழ்ச் செல்வன் சிரித்துக்கொண்டே சொல்கிறான். ”இல்லை பேர் தான் நாகம்மா. ஆனால் சாய் பக்தை” என்கிறான்...

an excellent review of the same book can be viewed by clicking here.

Last edited:
That such an article has appeared in the Hindu which had kept itself all these days away from Dravidian crap shows the changing times..Probably the Tamil version has decided to be in the same boat as the vox populi of the Tamil nation!

vgane, krish44

tamilhindu is a religious website propagating tamil hinduism. venkatat swaminathan was in that url i gave. interesting the no of responses, which very soon dissolved into fights like here. happened a few years ago. the novel is awesom. venkat recommends it. i do too. :)

vgane, krish44

tamilhindu is a religious website propagating tamil hinduism. venkatat swaminathan was in that url i gave. interesting the no of responses, which very soon dissolved into fights like here. happened a few years ago. the novel is awesom. venkat recommends it. i do too. :)

Thanks..Got this wrong since the site names are alike

it was not reported in many of the newspapers, what happened to these appointments. the centre sent back the judges list for re review per this report.

here is gist of the matter the chief justice of madras high court aggarwal, was promoted supreme court, and had an emotional chastization of the caste crazy chennai lawyers.

the selection committee of 3 seniormost judges recommend the selection of judges. the next in line, chitra venkatraman is retiring shortly. and justice agnihotri is new to madras. so all in all, a new committee will be set up. would be interesting what these guys would recommend.

i reiterate, apparently, these jobs are most sought after. as i have said before, lawyer gandhi's son did not get selected and hence his anger. so too for many guys. and also one caste apparently dominates the high court now. which one is it? gounders? mudaliars? reddiars? naidus? nadars?

would anyone know?

the division of hinduism has been carefully hijacked by christian paul kanagaraj and other xtians of the high court. some day hindus as a whole will rue our divisions, and anyone here who still swears by manu, can only simply watch, the caste fights. this is one of very few where brahmins are adversely affected. as most of it is between dalits and dominant castes.

Last edited:
Tamil Maanila Katchi: Pro-Hindi, pro-Brahmin party launched in Tamil Nadu

Tamil Maanila Katchi: Pro-Hindi, pro-Brahmin party launched in Tamil Nadu

CHENNAI: A new political party -- the Tamil Maanila Katchi-- with pro-Hindi and non-discrimination of Brahmins as its main policies was launched in Tamil Nadu on Monday.

Advocate and president of the Madras High Court Advocates Association (MHAA) R C Paul Kanagaraj was elected chief of the party. The launch of the party saw the participation of a large number of advocates.

"Denying Hindi education to our children has not helped their development, and hence we need to break from the past and make Hindi a compulsory subject at least up to Class V," said Paul Kanagaraj.

Discrimination of any section of people on the basis of caste was not only illegal but also unconstitutional, he said, adding that anti-Brahmin rhetoric had been made by politicians for the past several decades for political reasons.

In the place of bilingual system of learning, there should be trilingual regime inclusive of Hindi, he said.

Development of barren lands and safeguarding the interests of fishermen, traders and women are also part of the policies of the new party.

Asked whether it would contest in the coming Lok Sabha elections, Kanagaraj said a decision in that regard would be taken next week after consulting the other office-bearers of the party.

Tamil Maanila Katchi: Pro-Hindi, pro-Brahmin party launched in Tamil Nadu - The Times of India

paul kanagaraj is not pro brahmin. he is the lawyer responsible for the cancellation of the new judges' list, claiming there was an over representation of brahmins in the court. there are 3 now. and 3 more will make them much more than the percentage of population :)

dont expect anyone in any public situation to be pro brahmin. at the most you can expect brahmin neutral. and that too is not much in tamil nadu.

his rhetoric is against dravidians maybe. he is just jossling to get an mla seat. just look at the 2nd muslim outfit. it was a nobody 4 years ago. they organized a couple of huge meetings, raided the u.s. embassy, and now they are part of dmk, with one seat offered - the manithaneya munetra katchi or mmk. :)

Last edited:
paul kanagaraj is not pro brahmin. he is the lawyer responsible for the cancellation of the new judges' list, claiming there was an over representation of brahmins in the court. there are 3 now. and 3 more will make them much more than the percentage of population :)

dont expect anyone in any public situation to be pro brahmin. at the most you can expect brahmin neutral. and that too is not much in tamil nadu.

his rhetoric is against dravidians maybe. he is just jossling to get an mla seat. just look at the 2nd muslim outfit. it was a nobody 4 years ago. they organized a couple of huge meetings, raided the u.s. embassy, and now they are part of dmk, with one seat offered - the manithaneya munetra katchi or mmk. :)
K sir
even the thought that brahmins should not be discriminated against is good .it might be part of christian double speak- support the brahmin and at the same time oppose anything being given to them. I think some political party [national ,may be due to his pro hindi stance] may support him for a MLA /MP seat. there are likely to be a large no of vacancy for judges in lower courts as as many as 7to 8 supreme court judges and many lower court judges are retiring this year. even the chief justice of madras high court has been elevated to supreme court.

AAP came to power in DELHI within a term of its formation.
TMK is another political playground.

will POLITICS come naturally to Brahmins?

LOL!

I dont believe this.

There is surely some hidden agenda.

Its like a Cat leading the mice.

BTW why fall for anyone claiming to be Pro anything?

A good political party should not be Pro or Anti anything.

They should make policies based on the need of the moment.

It is so freaking obvious this party has a massive hidden agenda.

Politics can come naturally to brahmins. But it has to be something that beats a fox in its own game.

BJP has a south indian spokesperson who appears to be a brahmin from her spoken english. she looks like a female dragon breathing fire . another meenakshi natarajan is rising star of rahul brigade.of course you may not have many of calibre of Rajaji or ramaswami iyer

as long as the tamils have strong caste loyalties, and my gut feeling, is the younger generation has it even more than their parents, i think, one has to belong to the majority caste in an area to get anything of influence.

it is going back to pre british days. the old order of caste hierarchies have come back in full force.

as long as the brahmin stays inside the temple and is non threatening re government jobs career contracts authority, we are fine. :)

What is required is "மக்கள் தொண்டு செய்யும் பார்ப்பனர்"...If you want to win the masses

It appears that there was pressure on judge Chitra VRaman by the lawyer agitators to recommend their preferred set of people mostly from NB dominant caste. But Mrs. CV did not budge and went ahead with her own recommendation, which included lawyers from muslim, vanniyar and dalit Christian communities. Of course, this did not go well with the agitators. Therefore, in the true spirit of dravidianist social justice, the lawyers turned the agitation into an anti-Brahmin agitation. Two birds in one stone.

கால பைரவன்;232790 said:
It appears that there was pressure on judge Chitra VRaman by the lawyer agitators to recommend their preferred set of people mostly from NB dominant caste. But Mrs. CV did not budge and went ahead with her own recommendation, which included lawyers from muslim, vanniyar and dalit Christian communities. Of course, this did not go well with the agitators. Therefore, in the true spirit of dravidianist social justice, the lawyers turned the agitation into an anti-Brahmin agitation. Two birds in one stone.

you are right but it was more than that. the police had to put a batallion in front of her house, as these goondas were threatening her physical presence. all because mr gandhi's son was not on the list. the fact that they could point out 3 brahmins in the list, the very fact could mobilize a few thousand lawyers, shows the intensity of anti brahmin feeling, in the current generation.

this is a reality best faced on multi fronts i think - where possible emigrate out; those rich brahmins do some good work for the society and earn good name for the community; stupids like cho sub swamy keep their mouth shut because whatever they say is reflected on the man on the street; and thankfully fund any of our community children interested in studying to fund their education.

the only brahmins who are safe, surprisingly i think, are purohits. because NB want them for the temples and home functions, and have not yet become 'forward' in attitude to accept NB priests, which i personally would welcome :) so does vhp. strange bedfellows on this issue eh! as i think on every other issue, i am at loggerheads with vhp.

let us learn to do our own business. the brahmin judges appointed are all successful lawyers and do not need the money. i happen to personally know one of them, and was surprised about the appointment. why i asked. received no answer, because the judge was busy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back