• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Request your help in panchangam!

Status
Not open for further replies.
To Dear members!

Hi! My name is Jeyasuthan, a new member in your forum. I request your assistance in panchangam calendar. I live in Montreal, Quebec and we received 2011 calendars from temples that were designed and predicted for Toronto, Ontario. Are we allowed to consider the Ragu Kalam time in that calendar for our purpose in Montreal? Since both Montreal and Toronto have different sunrise times! Please clarify me since for the past 13 years I have been using the same calendars that were designed for Toronto,Ontario.

Thank You

Jey

Dear Shri. Jeyasuthan,
Generally 'Raghu column' is calculated daily with reference to the sunrise timings of the area where one lives.For MONDAYS 'Raghukalam' is observed from 7.30 am to 9.00am provided sunrise is at 6.00am on that day in the city one resides.'RAGHU Column' period is adjusted suitably.If sunrise is at 7.00am on any Monday, 'Raghukalam' is reckoned from 8.30am to 10.00am on that particular day.This custom is followed for other days also.
Recently one Mr.MAHESH SASTRY from NEWYORK has brought out a panchang applicable in western countries based on NASA data.You may please refer"www.mypanchang.com'

Dear Shri. Jeyasuthan,
Generally 'Raghu column' is calculated daily with reference to the sunrise timings of the area where one lives.For MONDAYS 'Raghukalam' is observed from 7.30 am to 9.00am provided sunrise is at 6.00am on that day in the city one resides.'RAGHU Column' period is adjusted suitably.If sunrise is at 7.00am on any Monday, 'Raghukalam' is reckoned from 8.30am to 10.00am on that particular day.This custom is followed for other days also.
Recently one Mr.MAHESH SASTRY from NEWYORK has brought out a panchang applicable in western countries based on NASA data.You may please refer"www.mypanchang.com'
Shri Krishnamurthy Sir,

sorry to react to your post. if what i write is not to your liking pl. don't reply.

ragukalam is i think divided of daytime into 8 parts - one and half hours approx.for our south india taking 12 hour day. (ragu did not go even to north india till our people advertised there. i don't know if ragu will apply to foreign countries therefore.) first one and half omitted and rest allotted to seven days no rhyme or reason in the distribution. the formula i learnt from some astrologer-friend is mon-sat-fri-wed-thurs-tues-sun. this is how one astrologer explained. so if daytime is less, say 9 hours only as in quebec now - google says so - i think it will be one hour and 8 minutes each day starting from sunrise (7-30 or so now) and monday's ragu will come at 8-38 and go at 09-46 and so on. that i think is right. what do you think? calculating ragu -any place any date - for next day can be a daily routine before sleeping - or written as program, good for believers (i don't believe) giving sunrise, sunset, lat, long, daylight saving etc. some IT person can try.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Sarma-61,
Your point is well taken.I follow "Pambu Panchangam" which indicates rahu kalam for each day with a proviso if Sunrise is at 6-00am.I opened website"www.my panchang.com" and found that Rahu kalam is dependent on both Sunrise and Sunset timings for each city.
On 9th January,2011SR/SS and RK timings for different cities are shown here from the 'World panchang.
New Delhi:- SR:07-16, SS:-17-41 RK:-16-22 to 17-41.
Chennai:- SR:-06-34, SS:-17-57, RK 16-31 to17-57.
Newyork:- SR:-07-21,SS 16-46, RK:-15-34-to 16-46.
Oregaon,Portland:-SR:-07-51 SS:-16-45 RK:-15-37 to16-45
Fremont,CA:-SR:-07-24,SS:-17-07RK:-15-53to17-07
FOR AMERICAN CITIES,SUMMER TIME adjustment of one hour has been taken into account and Rk ends with SS time.
I just remembered that a separate'thread' was earlier opened under'Customs & Traditions-'RELIGION'.Now it is a closed thread.

Dear Mr.Jeyasuthan,
You may observe Rk timings as given in www.mypanchang.com for your city.

Last edited:
The software for finding star, rAghu kAlam etc for any place on the earth is already existing! Please make use of mypanchang.com

By entering any city in any country, we can get the appropriate calender with details in English and a few other languages too!

Both Amavasyant and Purnimant panchang are available, for any city in the world!

An amazing software indeed!

The RAghu kAlam varies according to sunrise and hence differ for Montreal and Toronto!

Regards,
Raji Ram :typing:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back