• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

(Re) kindling the literary spirit for Book lovers - Chennai Book Fair 2015

• Thread starter V.Balasubramani
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
V

V.Balasubramani

(Re)kindling the literary spirit

spl%20pic.jpg

Chennai: It is that time of the year again where literature takes centre stage. Apart from the ongoing literary festival, the annual Book Fair is set to kick off today adding to the joy of the literary-minded. In an attempt to inculcate reading habit among students, the three-day event, Chennai Literary Festival (CLF), was inaugurated at the University of Madras here yesterday.

It is organised by the Central Institute of Classical Tamil and University of Madras and would be on till 11 January, and will witness participation of some 20 city colleges.

Talking to News Today, chairman of Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan Krishnaraj Vanavarayar, said,'New technology and gadgets have surpassed the reading habit these days. The event is thronged by book lovers, and not the general audience. World is constantly driven by insecurity, competition and thrive for success. Thus,there is no place for creativity or art forms.'

Read moreat: http://newstodaynet.com/arts/rekindling-literary-spirit

Last edited by a moderator:

38th Chennai Book Fair kicks off

09JANRSK02_BAPA_10_2274454f.jpg

The book fair will be on till January 21.Photo: K.V. Srinivasan

The Chennai Book Fair 2015, organised by Booksellers and Publishers Association of South India (BAPASI), was inaugurated at the YMCA grounds, Nandanam, on Friday.

Mayilsamy Annadurai, project director, Chandrayaan-I and II, ISRO, who inaugurated the book fair, said that he was happy to participate in the event for the second time. He recalled how his public speaking had improved since the time he last attended the book fair and credited this to the number of books he read during the period. He said parents play an important role in inculcating reading habits in their children.

K. Vannia Perumal, IG of Police-Training, presented awards for the best publisher, children’s writer, English writer, children’s science book, and Tamil scholar.

Industrialist Nalli Kuppuswami Chetty noted that the book fair had grown from a mere 27 stalls years ago to a hugely-popular annual event. The book fair will be on till January 21. Organisers have introduced a season ticket of Rs. 50 for those who wish to visit frequently.

Source: 38th Chennai Book Fair kicks off - The Hindu

தொடங்கியது அறிவுலகக் கொண்டாட்டம்
[h=2]700 அரங்குகள் | 5,00,000 தலைப்புகள் | 20,00,000 வாசகர்கள்[/h]

book_2274638f.jpg

புத்தகக் காதலர்கள் ஆவலுடன் காத்திருந்த திருவிழா கொண்டாட்டத்துடன் நேற்று தொடங்கியது. தென்னிந்தியப் புத்தக விற்பனையாளர், பதிப்பாளர் சங்கம் சார்பில் 38-வது ஆண்டாக நடத்தப்படும் இந்தப் புத்தகக் கண்காட்சி நந்தனம் ஒய்.எம்.சி.ஏ.உடற்கல்வியியல் கல்லூரி மைதானத்தில் வரும் 21-ம் தேதி வரை நடைபெறுகிறது.

38 ஆண்டுகளுக்கு முன்பு ஆர்வமும் அக்கறை யும் மிக்க சில பதிப்பாளர்கள், புத்தக விற்பனை யாளர்களை உறுப்பினர்களாகக் கொண்டு தொடங்கப்பட்டது தென்னிந்திய புத்தக விற்பனையாளர்கள் மற்றும் பதிப்பாளர்கள் சங்கம் (பபாசி). வாசகர்களிடம் புத்தக வாசிப்பு தொடர்பான ஆர்வத்தை விதைப்பதற்கும், பதிப்பாளர்கள், எழுத்தாளர்கள் என்று பலரையும் ஊக்கத்துடன் இயங்கவைப்பதற்கும் முயற்சிகளை மேற்கொண்டு வருகிறது இந்தச் சங்கம்.

சுமார் இரண்டு லட்சம் சதுர அடி பரப்பளவில் 700 அரங்குகளுடன் அமைக்கப்பட்டுள்ள இந்தப் பிரம்மாண்டமான புத்தகக் காட்சியில் 350-க் கும் மேற்பட்ட பதிப்பாளர்களுடன் ஊடகங்களும் பங்கேற்கிறார்கள். ஏறத்தாழ ஐந்து லட்சத்துக்கும் மேற்பட்ட தலைப்புகளில் ஐந்து கோடிக்கும் மேற்பட்ட புத்தகங்களும், கல்வி தொடர்பான குறுந்தகடுகளும் விற்பனைக்கு வைக்கப்பட்டுள்ளன. இந்த ஆண்டு 30 ஆயிரம் புதிய புத்தகங்கள் இடம் பெறுகின்றன.

‘தி இந்து’ அரங்கு
தமிழ்ப் பதிப்புலகில் கால்பதித்துள்ள ‘தி இந்து’, இந்தப் புத்தகக் காட்சியில் அரங்கு அமைத்திருக்கிறது. புத்தகக் காட்சி வளாகத்தில் ‘சேரன் செங்குட்டுவன்’ வீதியில் நம்முடைய அரங்கு எண்கள்: 143-ஏ, 143-பி.

எதுவரை நடக்கிறது?
நேற்று தொடங்கிய இந்தப் புத்தகக் காட்சி, இந்த மாதத்தின் 21-ம் தேதி வரை நடைபெற உள்ளது. இந்தப் புத்தகக் காட்சி, வார நாட்களில் (ஜனவரி 12, 13, 19, 20, 21) பிற்பகல் 2 மணி முதல் இரவு 9 மணி வரை நடைபெறும். விடுமுறை நாட்களில் (ஜனவரி10, 11, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18) காலை 11 மணி முதல் இரவு 9 மணி வரை நடைபெறும்.

Read more at
: http://tamil.thehindu.com/opinion/columns/தொடங்கியது-அறிவுலகக்-கொண்டாட்டம்/article6772651.ece

Browse your way through the titles at Chennai Book Fair

Book lovers bound for the Chennai Book Fair 2015, inaugurated on Friday, may find it easier to locate specific titles, this year.
Bookconnect, a city-based start-up engaged in book distribution and data aggregation, has catalogued more than 8,000 books, mostly regional titles, for the annual book fair, at bookscape.in.

M.R.K. Murthy Raju, co-founder of Bookconnect, said the cataloguing initiative, done free of cost, is just a beginning.
It is proposed to carry out indexing of books in the coming years for book fairs to be held across the country. He said: “Though there are more than 350 exhibitors, comprising publishers and sellers, at the Chennai book fair, we concentrated on enrolling publishers in regional languages, particularly Tamil.”

The website showcases books by displaying the cover photo (if available), with details of the title, author and publisher, along with the stall number, for easy identification. The only missing feature on the website is the ‘add to cart’ instead of which they have ‘add to shopping list’ tab.

Rajeev Gopinath, director of Bookconnect, said, “We want to get more people to visit the venue to have a feel of the book fair,” he said.

The website also has a user-friendly map for visitors to locate the various exhibitors.
Rave Max Pro IT Solutions too has created a website, www.chennaibookfair.com, where books can be ordered online. Bulk purchasers can avail of this facility. The site will be online till February 9.

A city-based start-up has catalogued more than 8,000 books for the annual book fair, at bookscape.in

Source
: Browse your way through the titles at Chennai Book Fair - The Hindu

Corrections and clarifications

The URL of Chennai Book Fair - 2015 was erroneously given as www.chennaibookfair.com in the report, “Browse your way through the titles at Chennai Book Fair” (Jan. 12, 2015, some editions). It should have been www.chennaibookfair2015.com

Source: http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-opinion/corrections-and-clarifications/article6782403.ece

Giggles and good books

12MPLEAD_2274940e.jpg

PASSION FOR PROSE Nalini Chettur at her store. Photo: R. Ravindran

Esther Elias meets Nalini Chettur the woman behind the 40-year-old ‘biggest little bookshop’ in the city

A mighty crash of metal screeches outside Vivanta by Taj Connemara on Binny Road. In the blazing afternoon sun, crowds gravitate to the scene instantly. Just within Connemara’s wall, below a little yellow sign on the verandah that reads ‘Giggles: The Biggest Little Bookshop’, sits Nalini Chettur, unperturbed. Her customer has darted out to watch the drama, so has her assistant, but Nalini continues on, adjusts the carbon paper in the hardbound receipt books on her lap, pens book titles one after the other, and adds their prices on her nimble fingers. After 40 years of running Giggles from a 100-square-foot wedge in Connemara’s wall, watching the Binny Road-world around grow congested over the decades, there’s little that startles Nalini.

Seated on a folding chair, draped in her classic printed silk saree and sleeveless blouse, Nalini looks up from her books and says, “There was a time when this was all so quiet, you know, when you could hear yourself think.” That was back in 1974, when Nalini was a sales promotion officer at a well-known city-based bookstore, looking to open a branch in the then four-starred Connemara Hotel. As the only woman employee there, Nalini often joked that all her suggestions for change were met with a ‘haha’ and no action. “I left the store itching to start my own. A friend then suggested I actually should. I had a paltry Rs. 1,000 worth of savings, so I giggled ‘haha’ at her and left the idea at that. Imagine my surprise when Connemara offered me their space!” And thus was born Giggles.

In the years since, Giggles has grown from its first avatar as a ‘book boutique’ of handicrafts and non-fiction about India (to feed Nalini’s own hunger for knowledge about her country), to stock literary fiction, much of it Indian, and a proliferation of children’s’ writing. While the handicrafts are no more and Nalini has moved from within Connemara to its premises just outside, her stacks of books from floor to ceiling are taller and fatter enough to leave no space for her. So she sits outside, the door to the store capable of opening just enough for one slim person to squeeze in and stand poker straight. What hasn’t changed is Nalini’s obsessive commitment to hand-pick every book she showcases. “I am elitist,” she unabashedly states, “People write books today like baking cakes — in a few hours. I don’t quite cater to that idea, though I know it sells.”

Read more at:
Giggles and good books - The Hindu

The Ravinder Singh effect

[h=2]At the launch of the author’s latest book, fans were hanging on to his every word[/h]
12MP_RAVINDER_SING_2274928f.jpg

MELTING HEARTS: A fan takes a selfie with Ravinder Singh. Photo: M. Karunakaran

[h=2]At half past six on a Friday evening, close to 50 people occupy chairs that surround a dais, waiting patiently for the object of their affection, admiration and awe to arrive. [/h]
And in a few minutes, he walks past them to occupy a chair on the high platform; while women quickly adjust their hair and make-up, the men rapidly click photos. Both the genders, however, cannot control their palpable joy on seeing author Ravinder Singh at Starmark to launch his 4th book, Your Dreams Are Mine Now. A love story set in Delhi University, it revolves around the lives of Rupali and Arjun, who are united by a common cause and fall in love while fighting for it.

It’s perhaps quite obvious to see why people are hanging on to his every word and move — he is smartly dressed in jeans, a shirt and waistcoat, and when he talks, it is with an easy smile. The effect Ravinder can have on his fans is best displayed by one young lady who, during the interactive session, tells him of the time she confessed her love for him and of her disappointment to find out that he was married. He quickly envelopes her in a warm hug and members of the audience smile as if their hearts melted. Another asks eagerly about his next book, and if it would talk about how he fell in love with his wife, Khushboo Chauhan. Amidst polite laughter and audible sighs, Ravinder says that he will reveal it only when she is comfortable with the world knowing about it. By the end of the session, the crowd swells to a near 100 and the autograph line seems to never end.

An hour before the launch, Ravinder sits down for a chat. While he is known for tackling romance in most of his books, this one, he says, revolves around campus politics. “Other genres should appeal to me and I must enjoy the whole exercise of writing them. If, perhaps, crime interests me in the future, I will,” he says.

His inspirations for books so far are autobiographical: “My childhood experiences had a major influence on my books. But with Your Dreams... it was the revolution behind the infamous 2012 Delhi gang rape. I was working in Hyderabad when I saw the public protests on television. The visuals moved me — I was impressed that young India came out in full support in December (in Delhi when it’s biting cold) and didn’t budge when they were shot with water cannons.”

Read more at: The Ravinder Singh effect - The Hindu

ஸ்ரீ பரப்பிரம்ம ரகசியம் ஆன்மிக ஆய்வு நூல் வெளியீடு

ஸ்ரீ பரப்பிரம்ம ரகசியம் (இந்துமத ஆன்மிகத் தலைமை) என்ற ஆன்மிக ஆய்வு நூல் சென்னையில் நேற்று வெளியிடப்பட்டது.

ஸ்ரீ பரப்பிரம்ம ஐந்தியல் ஆய்வு மையம், ஸ்ரீபரப்பிரம்மாலயம் அறக் கட்டளை சார்பில் ஸ்ரீ பிரம்ம வித்யா உபாசகரும், வாஸ்து மரபின் ஐந்தியல் ஆய்வருமான வி.என்.கஜேந்திர குருஜி எழுதிய “ஸ்ரீ பரப்பிரம்ம ரகசியம்” நூல் வெளியீட்டு விழா சென்னையில் நேற்று நடந்தது.

இதில், முன்னாள் நீதிபதி எஸ்.ஜெகதீசன் கலந்துகொண்டு முதல் பிரதியை வெளியிட, அதனை காஞ்சிபுரம் தொண்டை மண்டல ஆதீனம் ஞானப்பிரகாச தேசிக பரமாச்சாரிய சுவாமிகள் பெற்றுக் கொண்டார். அதைத் தொடர்ந்து நீதிபதி எஸ்.ஜெகதீசன் தலைமை உரையாற்றினார்.

ஸ்ரீபரப்பிரம்மம் உருவப்படத்தை பாஜக மூத்த தலைவர் இல.கணேசன் திறந்து வைத்துப் பேசுகையில், “கலைக் களஞ்சியமாகவும், சிறந்த சொல் அகராதியாகவும் இந்த நூல் திகழ்கிறது. எனவே, தமிழக அரசு எல்லா நூலகங்கள், பல்கலைக் கழகங்கள், கல்லூரிகளில் இந்த நூலை வாங்கி வைக்க வேண்டும்” என்று கேட்டுக் கொண்டார்.

முன்னதாக, பழனி ஸ்ரீபோகர் ஆசிரம சிவானந்த புலிப்பாணி பாத்திர சுவாமிகள், பிரம்மா குமாரி பாண்டி அபர்ணா ஆகியோர் வாழ்த் துரை வழங்கினர். பின்னர், நூலாசிரி யர் வி.என்.கஜேந்திர குருஜி ஏற்புரை யாற்றினார். முன்னதாக, ஏர்வாடி எஸ்.ராதாகிருஷ்ணன் வரவேற்றார்.கே.மூர்த்தி நன்றி கூறினார்.

Source: ???? ?????????? ??????? ?????? ????? ???? ????????? - ?? ?????

லஸ்ஸி, ஐஸ்கிரீம் அல்லது ஃபலூடா

iyal_2276564f.jpg

இயல் இசை வல்லபி - வானவன் மாதேவி

மேல்படிப்புக்காக ஜெர்மனிக்குச் சென்றிருக்கும் குடும்ப மருத்துவரின் மகள் சமீபத்தில் சென்னைக்கு வந்திருந்தபோது, படிப்பின் பளுவைப் பற்றி அவரிடம் கேட்டேன். ஓய்வெடுக்க முடியாத அளவு பாடத்திட்டங்கள், விடுப்பு எடுக்க இயலாத அளவுக்கு கெடுபிடியான விதிமுறைகள், சமையல் உள்ளிட்ட சொந்தத் தேவைகளைத் தாமே கவனித்துக்கொள்ள வேண்டிய சூழல். இவற்றினிடையே 'சுப்பாராவ் சிறுகதைத் தொகுப்பை உடனே அனுப்பி வை, வாசிக்க வேண்டும்' என்று தந்தைக்குக் கடிதம் எழுதியவர் அவர்.
அலட்டிக்கொள்ளாமல் அவர் சொன்ன பதில்: “நேரத்தை நமக்கானதாக ஆக்கிக்கொண்டால் எல்லாம் சாத்தியம்தான்... என் சக மாணவர் ஒருவர் அங்கே கவிதைப் போட்டிகளில் பரிசு வாங்கிக்கொண்டிருக்கிறார், அதற்கு என்ன சொல்கிறீர்கள்?”

85 வயதைத் தொட்டுக்கொண்டிருக்கும் கல்வியாளர் ச.சீ. இராஜகோபாலன் முக்கிய நாளிதழ்கள், வார-மாதப் பத்திரிகைகள் மட்டுமல்லாமல் இலக்கிய இதழ்கள், வெளிநாட்டிலிருந்து தருவிக்கும் அறிவியல் ஏடுகள் என வாசித்துக்கொண்டும், தமது சொந்தக் கருத்தோட்டங்களை எழுதிக்கொண்டும் இருக்கும்போதே, ஒரு மின்னஞ்சல் விடாது வாசித்து, தக்க பதிலும், எதிர்வினையும் போடத் தவறுவதில்லை. முகநூலிலும் இருக்கிறார் என்று கருதுகிறேன்

புதுக்கோட்டை பிளஸ்-டூ மாணவர் ஷியாம் சுந்தரவேல், தனது பயிற்சித் தேர்வுகளுக்கிடையே தந்தையிடம் கெஞ்சி அனுமதி பெற்று, அவரையும் உடன் அழைத்துக்கொண்டு திருச்சியில் நடைபெற்ற ‘தி இந்து-தமிழ்’ வாசகர் திருவிழாவில் பங்கேற்றுத் திரும்பியிருக்கிறார். படிப்பையும் பார்த்துக்கொள்கிறார்.
-
அசோகமித்திரன் படிக்க வேண்டும்!
தசைச்சிதைவு நோய்க்கு ஆளாகியிருந்தாலும் நம்பிக்கையின் சிகரத்தில் வசிக்கும் சேலம் சகோதரிகள் வானவன் மாதேவி, இயல் இசை வல்லபி இருவரும் புத்தகத்தைத் தூக்கி மடியில் வைத்துப் படிக்கச் சிரமங்கள் இருந்தாலும் ஓயாது படிப்பவர்கள். ஜெயமோகனின் வெண் முரசு அத்தியாயங்களைச் சூடாக அன்றன்று மடிக் கணினியில் வாசித்துவருகிறோம் என்கிறார்கள். பெரிதும் பேசப்படும் கவிஞர் இசையின் சமீபத்திய கவிதைத் தொகுப்பையும் படித்தாயிற்று என்கிறார்கள். “எந்த எழுத்தாளரை இன்னமும் வாசிக்கவில்லையே என்று ஏங்குகிறீர்கள்?” என்று கேட்டால், “அசோகமித்திரன்” என்று பதில் வந்தது.
அவசரமாக ஒரு பரிசுப் புத்தகம் தர வேண்டுமே என்று மறைந்த மருத்துவர் மாணிக்கவாசகத்தின் ‘தூங்காமல் தூங்கி’என்ற அற்புதமான நூலின் பிரதியை ஓசைப்படாமல் எனது மாமியாருடைய அலமாரியிலிருந்து களவாடி எடுத்துச் சென்ற அன்று மாலையே அவரிடம் பிடிபட்டுவிட்டேன். இரண்டு தோள்பட்டையிலும் எலும்புத் தேய்வினால் 24 மணி நேரமும் வலியெடுத்து உதறிக்கொண்டிருக்கும் கைகளைப் பொருட்படுத்தாமல் படுத்தவாறே புத்தகங்களை வாசித்துத் தள்ளும் அவரது உள்ளத்துக்கு நெருக்கமான புத்தகம் அது. வேறு பிரதியை வாங்கித் தந்ததும்தான் விட்டார்.

Read more at: ?????, ????????? ?????? ?????? - ?? ?????

So much between the covers

• 13MP_BOOK_FAIR_1_2276771g.jpg

• The fair saw new features such as this sculpture by Rohini Mani; books galore PHOTO: G. SRIBHARA
[h=2]With its variety, the 38th edition of the Chennai Book Fair is a book lover’s dream come true[/h]Walking among the neatly-spaced stalls at the 38t edition of the Chennai Book Fair, an intriguing logo catches the eye. A black hat and sunglasses on a circular yellow background, Manimekalai Prasuram’s logo looks quite like an invisible man. A number of people are lined up at the billing counter, and most of them seem to be clutching the same book.

“It’s the collected adventures of Detective Shankarlal written by Tamilvanan,” explains Chockalingam, who is manning the stall. “It’s Tamil pulp fiction and ever since it was published 40 years ago, its popularity has not waned,” he says. So Shankar is India’s Sherlock Holmes? “Something like that,” he grins, adding that people were so taken with the character that they thought he was a real person. The publishers have been part of the fair since it first started.

To stand out among the 600 and more stalls at the fair organised by BAPASI, artist Rohini Mani has displayed a six-foot-tall sculpture depicting a person reading in the Kalachuvadu Publications stall. A bunch of curious children gather around the piece titled ‘Discovering Uniqueness’. They are fascinated by the newspapers peeking out between the strands of jute rope wrapped around it.

Rohini says, “I love the process of rolling the jute rope around the newspaper. We are learning each day, so it depicts the process of completion and that inspires me a lot. By using materials that people can relate to, it is art made accessible. It is also made to depict a human form and not a man or woman.”

Apart from the numerous Tamil books on display, there are whole Enid Blyton collections, encyclopaedias, Knowledge In A Nutshell books for Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics, young adult novels and a plethora of activity books for kids. The “biggest dictionary in India” is also on display: Universal Deluxe Dictionary (English-English-Tamil) which costs Rs. 499.

Read more at: http://www.thehindu.com/features/me...-come-true-for-book-lovers/article6781139.ece

Dalit Literature a Big Draw Among Book Fair Visitors

CHENNAI: Amidst the numerous books on competitive exams and nursery rhymes, recipes and religion, a few people having the larger agenda of activism and social change wait patiently watching the milling crowds at the Chennai Book Fair 2015. The wait does not go waste as a brisk crowd soon walks into the stalls selling books on Dalit literature and Marxism in Tamil, reflecting the State’s penchant for social movements and activism.

The names of some of the stalls are as striking as the books themselves. Karuppu Pradigal is a publication run by Neelakantan, who was associated with Periyar’s anti-caste movement and started the publication in 2004 to support Dalit writing. “We hope to give voice to all Dalit and feminist literature in Tamil,” he says talking about his move from social activism to publishing in order to document issues that do not come out in the mainstream.

“This ideology should not die away. With incidents like caste-based violence happening in Dharmapuri last year, the younger generation should learn about these issues,” says Neelakantan. And he is hopeful of change. “The Tamil translation of Ambedkar’s Annihilation of Caste sold 700 to 900 copies in the book fairs of previous years,” he pointed out.

Read more at: Dalit Literature a Big Draw Among Book Fair Visitors - The New Indian Express

thank you v.bala for your coverage of the book fair. though in your pix today of mootha thalaimurai, i am not sure, if the gentleman on the top right qualifies for the title. perhaps he would be upset if he comes to know of your grading him such ;)

further on.. did you participate in the ad hoc demonstration in favour of perumal murugan, organized by aganaazhigai vasudevan? heard it was quite a ruckus. also did you see maadhorubaagan prominently displayed in all bookshops?

i heard that there is only one line to buy the tickets and it is long. and washrooms are best not mentioned here.

inspite of everything, i miss coming to this year book fair. loved it last year.

happy pongal and thank you for the coverage.

Sir,

I just grabbed the opportunity to post the news covering Chennai Book Fair 2015 which is unique in many ways and which I love to visit every year.

You are right that gentleman must be probably in his thirties and defining him as ‘mootha thalaimoorai’ is not justified.

I don't participate in the demonstration. But the report on demonstration is as follows:

சென்னை புத்தக கண்காட்சியில் எழுத்தாளர்கள் ஆர்பாட்டம்
பதிவு செய்த நேரம்: 2015-01-13 19:00:14
சென்னை: சென்னை புத்தக கண்காட்சியில் பெருமாள் முருகனுக்கு ஆதரவாக எழுத்தாளர்கள் ஆர்பாட்டத்தில் ஈடுபட்டுள்ளனர். துண்டுப் பிரசுரங்கள் வினியோகித்து எழுத்தாளர்கள் ஆர்பாட்டத்தில் ஈடுபட்டனர். தமிழகத்தில் கருத்து உரிமை இல்லையா எனவும் எழுத்தாளர்கள் கேள்வி எழுப்பியுள்ளனர். துண்டுப் பிரசுரம் வினியோகிக்க போலீஸ் தடுத்தால் சிறிது நேரம் பரபரப்பு ஏற்பட்டது.

Source: http://www.dinakaran.com/Latest_Detail.asp?Nid=127209

I have planned to visit the Fair sometime during ensuing Pongal holidays

If you have got any list, interest, you may feel free to PM me.

Happy Pongal Sir.

Building characters

Sudeep_2278724f.jpg

[h=2]Spreading positive messages: Sudeep Nagarkar. Photo: special arrangement

Engineer-turned author Sudeep Nagarkar talks about his books and his inspiration to write
[/h]“My books deal with emotions and relationships. Friendship is one of the most important and complex relationship that a person deals with. My latest book, You Are The Password To My Life deals with the notion of friendship between people from opposite sexes,” says best selling author Sudeep Nagarkar, who was in town for the launch of his book.

Sudeep says, “In bollywood, any friendship between a man and a woman turns into romance. In this book, I have made an attempt to change that angle. The book is inspired by some incidents in my life. I want my book to give a positive message to the readers. I hope it helps them learn more about complex human relationships.”

Most of his earlier books are also inspired by real life incidents. “I was at a very low point of my life, when I started to write a diary. I had failed some of my subjects in engineering and was also facing some issues on the personal front. A friend chanced upon my diary and asked me to get it published. Once we found a publisher, Few Things Left Unsaid was released. I never thought that I would become a writer.

I have enjoyed this stint a lot and hope to write many more books.” Sudeep says that character building is very important. “A relatable character ensures that readers connect well with the book, as they can relate their own lives to the characters’ lives. I always weave the story together an element of suspense. I do not follow any specific themes and try to focus on relationships and emotions,” he says. On the intriguing title, Sudeep contends, “Social media has become a very important part of our lives. Making someone’s name their online password is one of the ways in which the youngsters express their love for each other.”

Read more at
: Building characters - The Hindu

A legend recalls policing of yesteryear

13oeb_Random_jpg_2276927e.jpg

Random recollections: C.V. Narasimhan; KLM Printers, 52, Mandaveli Lane, Mylapore, Chennai-600004. Rs. 180.

No public system in India has perhaps been so critically discussed and evaluated as the Police. It is true we do not have the ideal policeman; someone akin or somewhat close to the fabled London Bobby. But we certainly have a large number of uniformed guardians of peace who have done us proud, like the martyrs of 26/11 who saved so many lives in the financial capital of the country. Also those who held their own and successfully foiled the terrorists who tried to barge into the sanctum sanctorum of our democracy, the Union Parliament, on December 13, 2001. There are many more unsung and unwept policemen, such as those in Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh and Jharkhand who lost their lives fighting the Maoists. We also have numerous instances where policemen had teamed up with the Army to organize commendable relief work for those hit by natural calamities in different parts of the country.

The point I am labouring here is that our police forces are not all that inefficient or unprofessional as the media sometimes makes them out to be. They are basically a mixed bag of both good and bad apples, a majority of whom rise to the occasion when needed. This is the message that a serious reader gleans from the clinically written memoirs of C.V.Narasimhan (CVN) which was released recently.
A distinguished policeman, who retired three decades ago after 35 years of fruitful service to government and the community, CVN was under pressure for quite some time from his family and admirers like me to put out down his reflections on his career. The self-effacing and traditional policeman that he was, CVN was averse to the idea of trumpeting his achievements. After years of resistance I am happy that he has at last chosen to chronicle his days in the police, that too in a tone so typical of him; objective, dignified and subdued.

After a brilliant academic career — first class first in Mathematics Honours from the Loyola College, Madras — CVN had the distinction of standing first among those recruited to join the first batch of the newly created Indian Police Service (IPS) in 1948. He never looked back and topped every activity of policing the country in the multitude of assignments given to him. He held charge of several Districts in the then Madras State. The toughest of them was Ramnad, a hot bed of crime and caste conflict. CVN handled the situation there adroitly and laid the foundation for what was to be a life-long reputation for objective policing. No surprise that the CBI (then known as the Special Police Establishment) picked him up early in his career for onerous assignments. His performance in the CBI further enhanced his image as an uncompromising fighter against public servant corruption.

After being Joint Secretary in the Home Ministry (MHA) — a position normally not given to an IPS officer in the 1970s — at a difficult time, viz., the Emergency (1975-76), CVN was soon the natural choice to head the CBI. This unfortunately proved to be a brief interlude. It was cut short by circumstances other than professional.

Read more at: A legend recalls policing of yesteryear - The Hindu

புத்தகம் படிக்க நேரம் இல்லையா?

book_2279381f.jpg

பிரெஞ்சு நாட்டின் கலாச்சார அமைச்சர் ஃப்லெர் பில்லர கடந்த இரண்டு ஆண்டுகளாகப் புத்தகங்களை அதிகம் படிப்பதில்லை. கடந்த ஆண்டு இலக்கியத்துக்காக நோபல் பரிசு பெற்ற பிரெஞ்சு எழுத்தாளர் பேட்ரிக் மோதியானோவின் நாவல்கள் எதையும் படித்ததில்லை என்ற எதிர்பாராத பதிலைக் கேட்டு அந்நாட்டு மக்கள் வியப்பில் ஆழ்ந்துள்ளனர்.

பிரெஞ்சுக்காரர்கள் எப்போதுமே தங்களைப் பெரிய அறிவுஜீவிகளாகக் கருதிக்கொள்வதால், தங்கள் நாட்டு அமைச்சரின் பதில் அவர்களுக்கு வியப்பாகவும் வேதனையாகவும் மாறியிருக்கிறது. புத்தகங்களைப் படிப்பதும் பெரிய பெரிய எழுத்தாளர்களைப் பற்றிப் பேசுவதும் சிறிய வயதிலேயே வழக்கமாகிவிட்ட பிரிட்டிஷ்காரியான எனக்கு பிரான்ஸில் வசிப்பதே பெரிய அதிர்ச்சியாக இருக்கிறது. பிரெஞ்சுக்காரர்களுக்குப் படிப்பதும் அதுகுறித்து விவாதிப்பதும்தான் கலாச்சாரத்தின் முக்கியமான அங்கம்.

மதுபான விடுதியிலும் சாப்பாட்டு மேஜையிலும்கூட இலக்கியம், வரலாறு குறித்து விவாதிப்பதைப் பெருமையாகவே கருது கிறவர்கள் பிரெஞ்சுக்காரர்கள். அப்பேர்ப்பட்ட நாட்டில் படிப்பதையே நிறுத்திவிட்டேன் என்று கூசாமல் சொல்லும் கலாச்சார அமைச்சரைத் தேசப் பற்றில்லாதவர் என்றுகூட அவர்கள் நினைக்கலாம். ஆனால், மேற்கத்திய நாடுகளில் இப்போதெல்லாம் உண்மையாகவே எத்தனை பேருக்குப் படிக்க நேரம் இருக்கிறது?

Read more at
: ???????? ?????? ????? ???????? - ?? ?????

நான் என்னென்ன வாங்கினேன்? - எழுத்தாளர் சாரு நிவேதிதா

charu_2279404f.jpg

புத்தகக் காட்சியில் ‘தி இந்து’ அரங்கில் (எண்:143ஏ-143பி) எழுத்தாளர் சாரு நிவேதிதா

தமிழர்களின் எண்ணிக்கை கிட்டத்தட்ட எட்டுக் கோடி. ஆனால், ஒரு எழுத்தாளரின் நாவல் ஆயிரம் பிரதிகளே விற்கிறது. சமீபத்தில் கொஞ்சம் முன்னேறி இன்னும் ஒரு ஆயிரம் கூடியிருக்கிறது.
பக்கத்தில் உள்ள கர்நாடகத்தில்கூட லட்சம் பிரதி விற்கிறது. எனவே, என் சக எழுத்தாளர்
களைப் போல் புத்தகக் காட்சியை நான் அவ்வளவு பெரிதாக எடுத்துக்கொள்வதில்லை. ஆனால், இந்த ஆண்டு என்ன நடந்தது என்று தெரியவில்லை. என்னுடைய சமீபத்திய நாவலான ‘புதிய எக்ஸை’லில் ஏதோ ‘இம்போஸிஷன்’ எழுதுவது போல் என் கையெழுத்தைப் போட்டுக்கொண்டே இருக்கிறேன். நான் கொஞ்சம் சர்ச்சைக்குரிய விஷயங்களையும் தொடுவதால், என் நூல்களைப் பெண்கள் வெளிப்படையாகப் படிப்பதில்லை. ஆனால், இந்தப் புத்தக விழாவில் என்னிடம் கையெழுத்து வாங்கியவர்களில் பெரும்பாலும் பெண்களே.

வாசிப்பு மட்டுமே ஒரு சமூகத்தைப் பண்படுத்தக் கூடியது. அதில் நாம் மிகவும் பின்தங்கியிருக்கிறோம். அதிலும் தமிழ் வாசிப்பு மிகவும் குறைந்திருக்கிறது. சினிமாவும் தொலைக்காட்சியும் முக்கியக் காரணங்கள். இருந்தாலும், வாசகர்கள் என்ற ஒரு சிறிய வட்டம் எப்போதும் இருந்துகொண்டுதான் இருக்கிறது என்பதை இந்தப் புத்தக விழா எனக்கு உணர்த்தியது. ஆனாலும், ஒரு சிரமம் என்ன வென்றால், 800 அரங்குகளில் சுமார் 80 அரங்குகளில் தான் வாசிப்பை மேம்படுத்தக் கூடிய நூல்கள் உள்ளன. அந்த அரங்குகளைத் தேடிக் கண்டுபிடிப்பது சிரமமாக உள்ளது. இருந்தும் அரங்குகளின் வரிசை எண்களை வைத்துக்கொண்டு போனேன்.

காலச்சுவடு, க்ரியா அரங்குகளில் நிறைய நூல்கள் வாங்கினேன். முக்கியமாக மொழி பெயர்ப்புகள். ஓரான் பாமுக்கின் ‘என் பெயர் சிவப்பு’, ‘பனி’, ‘இஸ்தான்புல்’ எல்லாவற்றையும் ஜி. குப்புசாமி நேர்த்தியாக மொழிபெயர்த்திருக்கிறார். பாரதிமணியின் ‘புள்ளிகள், கோடுகள், கோலங்கள்’ வாங்கினேன். குளச்சல் மு. யூசுப் மலையாளத் திலிருந்து மொழிபெயர்த்த எல்லா நூல்களையும் வாங்கினேன். குறிப்பாக, ‘திருடன் மணியன் பிள்ளை’. ஏற்கெனவே கடன் வாங்கிப் படித்து விட்டதால் இது எனக்கான பிரதி.

Read more at: http://tamil.thehindu.com/opinion/columns/நான்-என்னென்ன-வாங்கினேன்-எழுத்தாளர்-சாரு-நிவேதிதா/article6789718.ece?widget-art=four-rel

[h=1]And a book is born[/h]Five writers shortlisted for The Hindu Prize for 2014 share their working habits

Ernest Hemingway is said to have often written standing-up by his typewriter from dawn to noon, and then drunk himself silly soon after; Maya Angelou wrote only in motel rooms with over have nurtured odd and obscure writing rituals. On the day of the announcement of The Hindu Prize for 2014, five of the short-listed novelists tell us what makes their words flow.

Read more at: And a book is born - The Hindu

சென்னை புத்தகக் காட்சியில் 6 நூல்கள் வெளியீடு: சிங்கப்பூர் எழுத்தாளர்கள், நூல்கள் தமிழகத்தில் அறிமுகம்-பதிப்பக உரிமையாளர் தகவல்

சிங்கப்பூர் தமிழ் எழுத்தாளர்களின் இலக்கியப் படைப்புகளை தமிழகத்தில் அறிமுகப்படுத்தும் விதமாக, சிங்கப்பூரின் 4 பெண் எழுத்தாளர்களின் நூல்கள் சென்னை புத்தகக் காட்சியில் வெளியிடப்பட்டன.

தமிழகத்தில் இருந்து சிங்கப்பூர் சென்று அங்கேயே வாழ்ந்துவரும் தமிழ் எழுத்தாளர்கள் பல்வேறு இலக்கியப் படைப்புகளைத் தொடர்ந்து படைத்து வருகின் றனர். அவர்களையும் அவர்களது படைப்புகளையும் தமிழகத்தில் அறிமுகப்படுத்தும் விதமாக, சென்னை புத்தகக் காட்சியில் சிங்கப்பூர் பெண் எழுத்தாளர்கள் 4 பேரின் 6 நூல்கள் வெளியிடப்பட்டன. இதையொட்டி நடந்த செய்தியாளர்கள் கூட்டத்தில் பதிப்பாளர் பாலு மணிமாறன் பேசியதாவது:

தமிழகத்துக்கும் சிங்கப்பூருக் கும் ஆரம்ப காலம் முதலே நெருக்கமான நட்பும், தொடர்பும் இருந்துவருகிறது. தமிழகத்தில் இருந்து சிங்கப்பூர் சென்ற தமிழர்கள் அனைத்து துறைகளி லும் சிறப்பான பங்களிப்பைச் செய்து வருகின்றனர். தமிழ் இலக்கியத்தின் சிறப்புகளை சிங்கப்பூர் தமிழ் எழுத்தாளர்கள் அறிந்துகொள்ளும் நோக்கில் எழுத்தாளர்கள் எஸ்.ராமகிருஷ் ணன், ஜெயமோகன், கவிஞர் முத்துக்குமார் ஆகியோரை அழைத்து இலக்கியச் சந்திப்புகளை சிங்கப்பூரில் நடத்தினோம். அதன் பயனாக, சமீப காலங்களில் இலக்கியத் துறையிலும் தமிழர்கள் நல்ல பல படைப்புகளைத் தந்துள்ளனர். ஆனால், அவை தமிழ் வாசகர்கள் இடையே போதிய கவனிப்பைப் பெறவில்லை.

Read more at: http://tamil.thehindu.com/tamilnadu/சென்னை-புத்தகக்-காட்சியில்-6-நூல்கள்-வெளியீடு-சிங்கப்பூர்-எழுத்தாளர்கள்-நூல்கள்-தமிழகத்தில்-அறிமுகம்பதிப்பக-உரிமையாளர்-தகவல்/article6796559.ece?homepage=true

புத்தக வாசிப்பு புத்திசாலியாக்குமா?

book_2280679f.jpg

எட்டு வயது வரை என்னால் வாசிக்கவே முடியாமல் இருந்தது. என்னுடைய வகுப்பாசிரியை பிரௌனிங் என்னுடைய இடத்துக்கே வந்து ‘டிக் அண்ட் ஜேன்’ புத்தகத்தைக் கொடுத்து, அதிலிருந்த சில வாக்கியங்களைப் படிக்கச் சொன்னது நினைவுக்கு வருகிறது. ஒரு ஆங்கில வார்த்தையைக் காட்டி அதைப் படி என்றார். ‘டு-ஹி’ என்றது நினைவிருக்கிறது. ‘தி’ (The) என்று அதைத் திருத்தினார். அன்றிலிருந்து ‘தி’ என்ற வார்த்தையைப் படித்துவிடுவேன்.

1960-களில் நியூஜெர்சியின் டீநெக் பகுதியில் வளர்ந்தேன். பிரௌனிங் வகைப்படுத்தியபடி படிப்பதில் ‘மந்த’ மாணவனாகவே இருந்தேன். பெற்றோர்-ஆசிரியர் சந்திப்பு நாளின்போது என்னுடைய அன்னையிடம் பேசிக் கொண்டிருந்த பிரௌன், உங்கள் மகன் டேனியல் படிப்பதில் ‘மிகவும் மந்தமாக இருக்கிறான்’ என்று மறக்காமல் குறிப்பிட்டார். மதியம் சாப்பாட்டு நேரத்தின்போது, என்னைப் போலவே படிப்பில் மந்தமாக இருந்த இதர மாணவர்களோடு நானும் அமர்த்தப்பட்டேன். அந்த இடம் உடற்பயிற்சிக்கூடம். பாடம் படிக்கும்போதும் கணித வகுப்பிலும், மந்தமான இதர மாணவர்களுடனேயே என்னை உட்காரவைப்பார்கள்.
ஸ்பைடர்மேன் மீட்டார்

ஓராண்டுக்குப் பிறகு, ஸ்பைடர்மேன்தான் என்னை அவர்கள் மத்தியிலிருந்து மீட்டார். என்னுடைய சிறந்த நண்பனான டேன், சித்திரக் கதைப் புத்தகங்களை அதிகம் வாசிப்பான். அவனும் அவனைப் போன்ற சிலரும் படிப்பதுடன் அதில் வரும் கதாபாத்திரங்களைத் தாங்களாகவே தாளில் வரைந்தும் காட்டுவார்கள். பிறகு, அவர்களே படமும் வரைந்து கதையும் எழுதத் தொடங்கினார்கள்.

Read more at: http://tamil.thehindu.com/opinion/columns/புத்தக-வாசிப்பு-புத்திசாலியாக்குமா/article6794621.ece?widget-art=four-rel

பிரச்னைகளை அணுகும் திறனை புத்தகங்களே வழங்குகின்றன!

'கண்ணனும் இளையராஜாவும், அனலெயோ' ஆகிய, குழந்தைகளுக்கான புனைக்கதை புத்தகங்களை எழுதிய சாய் சுந்தர்ராஜனின் இயற்பெயர், வெங்கட சுப்பிரமணியன்.

கல்லுாரி காலங்களில், தனது சீனியரான விழியனின், குழந்தை புனைக்கதையில் ஈர்க்கப்பட்டு, இந்த துறைக்கு வந்ததாக கூறுகிறார். பணியாற்றுவது, மென்பொருள் துறையில் பொறியாளராக; வசிப்பது, பெங்களூருவில். தனது படைப்புகள் குறித்து, சாய் சுந்தர்ராஜன் கூறியதாவது:
எழுதுவது எனக்குப் பிடிக்கும். இதில், குழந்தை இலக்கியத்தை தேர்ந்தெடுத்ததற்கு, விழியனே காரணம். எல்லோரின் அடிமனதில் புதைந்திருக்கும் குழந்தையை மீட்டெடுப்பதே, குழந்தை இலக்கியத்தின் குறிக்கோள். இன்றைய தலைமுறை போல அல்லாமல், போன தலைமுறையில் குழந்தைகளுக்கான பொழுதுபோக்கு அம்சங்கள் குறைவு. அப்போது, விளையாட்டுகளில் ஆர்வம் செலுத்தினோம். உடல் பலம் பெற்றோம். ஆனால், இப்போது அதற்கான சாத்திய கூறுகள் குறைந்து கொண்டே வருகின்றன. வீடியோ விளையாட்டுகள் பெருகி விட்டன. இதுபோன்ற விளையாட்டுகள், பிரச்னைகளை எதிர்கொள்வதற்கு நம்மை தயார்படுத்தாது. ஆனால், புத்தகங்கள் அப்படி அல்ல. புத்தக வாசிப்பு பழக்கம் ஏற்பட்டால், ஒரு பிரச்னையை, 10 விதமான கோணங்களில் அணுகி, அதற்கான தீர்வுகளை நோக்கி நாம் செல்வோம்.

மேலும் படிக்க: | ?????????? ??????? ????? ??????????? ????????????! Dinamalar

சென்னை புத்தக கண்காட்சிக்கு 10 நாளில் 5 லட்சம் பேர் வருகை

சென்னை புத்தக கண்காட்சியை 10 நாளில் 5 லட்சம் பேர் பார்வையிட்டுள்ளனர். 'ஆன்-லைன்' வழியாகவும் புத்தகங்கள் வாங்க சிறப்பு ஏற்பாடு செய்யப்பட்டுள்ளது.

தென்னிந்திய புத்தக விற்பனையாளர் மற்றும் பதிப்பாளர் சங்கம் (பபாசி) சார்பில் 38-வது சென்னை புத்தக கண்காட்சி நந்தனம் ஒய்.எம்.சி.ஏ. உடற்கல்வியியல் மைதானத்தில் கடந்த 9-ந் தேதி தொடங்கியது. தமிழ், ஆங்கிலம், தெலுங்கு என பலதரப்பட்ட மொழி புத்தகங்களுடன் 700 அரங்குகளில் 5 லட்சம் புத்தகங்களுடன் நடைபெற்று வரும் புத்தக கண்காட்சிக்கு உள்ளூர்-வெளியூர், வெளிமாநில வாசகர்கள் வருகின்றனர்.

புத்தக கண்காட்சி குறித்து தென்னிந்திய புத்தக விற்பனையாளர் மற்றும் பதிப்பாளர் சங்கம் (பபாசி) தலைவர் மெ.மீனாட்சி சோமசுந்தரம் கூறியதாவது:-

புத்தக கண்காட்சிக்கு குழந்தைகள் முதல் முதியோர்கள் வரை வயது வித்தியாசமின்றி வருகை தருகிறார்கள். சென்னை புத்தக கண்காட்சிக்கு ஆண்டுக்கு ஆண்டு வாசகர்களின் ஆதரவு அதிகரித்த வண்ணம் உள்ளது.

சென்னை புத்தக கண்காட்சி தொடங்கிய 9-ந் தேதியில் இருந்து கடந்த 17-ந் தேதி (காணும் பொங்கல்) வரை 4 லட்சத்து 10 ஆயிரம் வாசகர்கள் பார்வையிட்டனர். நேற்று (ஞாயிற்றுக்கிழமை) மட்டும் தோராயமாக 80 ஆயிரத்தில் இருந்து 90 ஆயிரம் பேர் வரை வருகை புரிந்துள்ளனர். மொத்தம் 10 நாட்களில் 5 லட்சம் பேர் வரை கண்காட்சியை பார்வையிட்டுள்ளனர்.

புத்தக கண்காட்சிக்கு வர முடியாதவர்கள், புத்தக கண்காட்சியில் இடம் பெற்றுள்ள புத்தகங்களை Buy online books | Anna university books | Entrance exam books, chennaibookfair2015.com என்ற 'ஆன்-லைன்' முகவரியில் பதிவு செய்து வாங்க சிறப்பு ஏற்பாடு செய்யப்பட்டு உள்ளது.

இவ்வாறு அவர் கூறினார்.

Read more at: ?????? ?????? ????????????? 10 ?????? 5 ?????? ???? ????? || 5 lakh people in the 10day visit to the book fair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back