• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Ravichandran dies

Status
Not open for further replies.

kunjuppu

Ravichandran dies

For those of my generation, sridhar’s kadhalikka neramillai defined the onset of puberty and teen hood.

This was the 1960s, when sivaji and mgr ruled the roost, with Gemini, jaishanker getting their bit roles. Then came a multicast kathalikka neramilla which with no name heroes but a good side kick support, shot into fame by running 25 unsubisidized weeks all over tamil nadu and parts of kerala.

In fact I saw it in kerala, in a packed kottai theatre.

The story itself was simple. Two ordinary guys fall in love with a miserly miserable rich man (t s baliah) ‘s daughter – fresh faced kanchana & rajshree proving themselves to be perfect air heads.

How they work around the wiles of the father, and get their men in the end is the whole movie.

Nagesh sacchu topped the comedy part, but the whole movie was a comedy, and ravichandran, just landed from Malaysia, provided a mystic aura as a foreign returned tamil. Unfortunately, ravi was not a great actor, and I think, he counted more failures than successes.

He had a scandalous marriage with Sheila. He had a first wife, an iyengar, whom he asked to divorce (she wouldn’t) and hence, due to india’s convoluted marriage rules, Sheila and ravi ‘converted’ to islam to justify their union. Their son george, is I think, trying his luck in the t.v. field these days.

Ravi, I found aged very well. Recently saw him in a forgettable tamil movie. Mrs K pointed out to an older character, and told me that it was ravi. With a handlebar moustache and all, he looked handsome as ever, and even in his late years, could be a lady killer.

Kathalikka neramillai, is timeless. And for that reason alone, ravichandran will be remembered as an actor. May his soul rest in peace.

I've seen Kathalikka neram illai only because on my parents insistence
Wow Amala, I never thought Kathalikka Neramillai needed any reason than just because to see it for the one millionth time plus 1. I hate to speak ill of the dead, Ravi was a terrible actor, but to me, just loop it from end to start and run it and I will sit and watch kathalikka Nermiullai as though I was seeing it for the first time.

Cheers!

I have not seen many of Ravichandran's movies.

But, I often watch the video song "Kathalikka Neramillai" of Kanchana and Muthuraman.

Kanchana is very sweet there!

Oh dear! Is that Muthuraman. I posted thinking that was Ravichandran. That song was the only thing I liked about the film! I don't remember much else.

Last edited:
saw the public display pix of ravi prior to cremation. could not but help feeling some pangs of nostalgia. kathalikka neramilla defined him, and i dont think ravi ever got a better hit than that. probably because he was introduced to the movie world in that movie, he was paid next to nothing.

apparently, unknown to me, ravi divorced sheila, and went back to the original vimala. he is shown lying in state, thirumann and all. not sure if sheila or george came to pay their respects.

i saw him last in 'aadu puli'. he looked very handsome. great genes. he was either 69 or 71 years old, depending on which outlet news you read. may his soul rest in peace.

Wow Amala, I never thought Kathalikka Neramillai needed any reason than just because to see it for the one millionth time plus 1. I hate to speak ill of the dead, Ravi was a terrible actor, but to me, just loop it from end to start and run it and I will sit and watch kathalikka Nermiullai as though I was seeing it for the first time.

Cheers!

How true: To this day, even after perhaps watching it 300 times KN remains my all-time fav tamil movie. Whenever we have a get together and the choice is to watch 'a' movie, friends opt for KN!! It had all equations in it, just plain comedy, Baliah's incredible flair for stupidity, Gopu's script, Sridhar's wonderful direction and songs. Poor ravichandran was over shadowed by Jaishankar during this time. Inspite of it he supposedly acted over 100 movies, so he had his own charm and charisma in the field.

Nevertheless, during my younger years I and my buddies loved watching his movies and he entertained us for endless hours. Thank you for it and may your soul rest in peace...so long mon ami.....

Kathalikka Neramillai was a top class entertainment movie of the year (1964). It was an all round success in those days with good music set to Carnatic Ragas by Viswanathan , simple story and good acting of new comers Ravichandran and Kanchana and veterans Balaiah, Muthuraman and Nagesh, ably directed by Sridhar. The theme song "Kathalikka Neramillai, Kaathalippar yaarumillai" was a top hit.

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Kathalikka Neramillai is one very Good picture of Ravichandran.
The Other one is 'Adhe Kangal' .Heroine is Kanchana.It was a thriller and equally popular.Other Ravi Moovi of popularity is Utharavindri Ulle Vaa.
Acharming Actor and MAY HIS SOUL REST IN PEACE.
Alwan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back