• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Rama Sethu - Anti Hindu Secularists beat a retreat!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, I don't know how many of you were following the recent events about the government's ill-conceived Sethu Samudhram Canal Project that was to cut through Rama Sethu. When Dr. Subramanian Swamy filed his petition at the Supreme Court saying that the Govt's intention was to break the Ramar Paalam as the project is not only non-viable but that it is disastrous for the ecology and the nation as well and the ulterior objective is to hurt Hindu sentiments as the Hindus hold this bridge sacred. (I am condensing the case). The UPA government of Sonia Maino in their affidavit had the audacity to say that there is no evidence of Rama ever having existed. Could they declare that Jesus never existed or Mohammed ever existed and get away. They wouldn't dare. However to MK(muttaal kizhavan) and the fascist maino combine Hindus are kiLLu keerai. But the reaction from the Hindu was quite unexpected for them and this clique feared that they would be drowned in the sea of Hindu anger and therefore they beat a hasty retreat before the Supreme Court. They asked the court to allow them to withdraw their affidavit and also asked for three month's postponement so they can find an amicable solution. I believe this project is going to be shelved. DMK allegedly got commission from dredging companies and I wonder if they would repay or get sued!

Let's all celeberate this sweet victory!

Dear Kamakshi:
Thank you for posting this news. Being in the USA, I am not aware or ignorant of things happening in India.
How dare they (Sonia Gandhi, Manmohan Singh, et al) state that Rama never existed. It is a good thing that the North Indian Hindus are much more vocal and brave to object to this audacity. I remember, in the 60's, when Ramasamy Naicker and his goondas were going around breaking Rama, Vinayaka statues on the streets, no Tamil Hindu raised any voice against him. Thank god for our North Indian Hindu brothers/sisters!
Keep us informed of the developments in this case.
Thank you!

BJP wanted some issue before the Gujarat elections. They got it. The underlying issue is forgotten.

The Sethu Samudram project has been the dream of the people of the district for a long time. It is not DMK's project. A look at the map will show how difficult it is going around Ceylon when you want to travel by sea from he East coast to the west coast.

It is confirmed by archaeologists and geologists that the formation is natural and not man made.

The very same people who saved Hinduism by destroying the Babri Masjid are now saving Hinduism again.

It is a pity that the educated Tamil Brahmins should fall so easily into the trap of the petty politicians.

BTW I read that the RSS leaders in Gujarat have assured the Dalits that they will ensure that a Dalit becomes the head priest in all important Hindu centers like Badrinath, Kedarnath, Dwarka etc.

I do not like any political party. They are all the same.

Last edited:
I don't know how an Iyengar like you would take it, but my father had told me that Rajaji asked Hindus not to resist breaking the pullaiyar but put a new pullaiyar in its place. I think it was wrong not to have nipped them in the bud.
We suffer the consequences now.

By the way today is Pillaiyaar Chadhurthi. Hope you guys celeberate it and have lots of kozhakkattai!

Regards,
Kamakshi

Dear Kamakshi:
This is what I have been pleading right from the beginning of this forum - we all are brahmins - not Iyengar, not Iyer, not Vadama, not Brahacharnam or what have you. Looks like we have a long way to go.
What is it that I, being an Iyengar (You are assuming I am, don't you?) has got anything to do with it? Are you insinuating that Iyengars (Rajaji being one) were being against Ganesha and so he told the Hindus not to resist it?
If so, it is not only racist remarks but it goes to prove the deep-rooted biases you, as an Iyer, have against Iyengars!

Well, I was only a boy in school than when those incidents happened, and so, I cannot say what exactly happened.

Dear Nacchinarkiniyan
I consider myself as a scientist and, so, I don't take folklore and mythology as basis for my beliefs. I didn't know that this bridge was not man-made. Naturally I smelled fish when I saw that Sonia+DMK joined to get the project going.
So, are you saying that removing this naturally-formed bridge will benefit everybody? What about the ecology and flora and fauna that would be affected? I wonder if anybody has done any impact study on this.

BJP wanted some issue before the Gujarat elections. They got it. The underlying issue is forgotten.

The Sethu Samudram project has been the dream of the people of the district for a long time. It is not DMK's project. A look at the map will show how difficult it is going around Ceylon when you want to travel by sea from he East coast to the west coast.

It is confirmed by archaeologists and geologists that the formation is natural and not man made.

The very same people who saved Hinduism by destroying the Babri Masjid are now saving Hinduism again.

It is a pity that the educated Tamil Brahmins should fall so easily into the trap of the petty politicians.

BTW I read that the RSS leaders in Gujarat have assured the Dalits that they will ensure that a Dalit becomes the head priest in all important Hindu centers like Badrinath, Kedarnath, Dwarka etc.

Dear Nachinarkiniaan,

You said:
Therefore please read:

'Adam's Bridge a man-made structure'
http://specials.rediff.com/news/2007/jul/31slid1.htm

You have said:

I think you have a bias against Hindu heritage. Anyway if you are sincere in knowing the truth setting aside your bias, please Go to http://kalyan97.wordpress.com/ and there are lots of postings rebutting secularists' contentions.

Regards,

This project has been delayed for decades because of the attitude of the Central government and the neglectful attitude of the Tamil Nadu governments towards the southern districts.

The whole problem started with the exhibition in New Delhi of aerial photographs of the region by NASA. They called it Rama Sethu. Immediately interested political parties caught up. The ASI in fact wrote to NASA who wrote back confirming that it is a natural formation.

I will check up and post the links if I am able to locate them.

The officials have tried to assuage the feelings of everyone. Someone slipped by including the paragraph about Lord Rama which had no relevance in this case.

That part of Tamil Nadu is a smuggling center. There are many people who do not want the project for their own reasons.

This sort of reaction is not surprising in a country where thousands of encroachments on the footpath are allowed to continue because they are temples. Roads are blocked by temples.

Is it only the BJP which is drumming up ? Never knew Congress was so holy. Having said that, i dislike BJP more than Congress.

Yes. It has been the 'dream' of the people at helm of affairs at Arivalayam for *Under The Table* deals. Are you aware that an alternate route without damaging the Sethu is more economical ?

My take is, even if it is God-made, Lord Ram, being the benefactor that he is, wouldnt take offence. But the point is whether the sentiments of millions of Hindus should be respected or not. Do they have a right to have their sentiments or not is the moot question.

Destroyers of the Babri Masjid are fanatical fundamentals. People trying to save the sethu pale in insignifcance if you want to compare.

Thanks for suggesting that Lord Ram is the Pvt property of Brahmins.

Welcome move.

Yep, perhaps with the exception of their *Networth* and *Network*

Dear Silverfox,

I thought I read somewhere in this forum that you are an Iyengar and I may be wrong about it. My apologies. Secondly I am not a sectarian and my husband and I have advocated that Brahmins should marry Brahmins regardless of the subcastes. Thirdly I did not imply that Rajaji being an Iyengar was encouraging the breaking of Pillaiyars. As I have said his decision not to resist the breaking is a mistake I was guarding against Iyengar to Iyengar affinity (It is prevalent if you like it or not). Fourthly you are terribly smart in insinuating that I am a racist Iyer. Thanks for the compliments! Fifthy what is the hurry to do it? Just ask for clarification. Sixthly I am not for any compartmentalization yet I recongnize that people celeberate pandigais according to the traditions handed down in their families. So there would still be differences the way each sect celeberate and enjoy life. Why not let them be who they are? Is this not what Hinduism stands for?

Seriously we need tolerance in this forum while arguing. Racism etc. Hmm?!

Let the members decide!

I don't know how an Iyengar like you would take it, but my father had told me that Rajaji asked Hindus not to resist breaking the pullaiyar but put a new pullaiyar in its place. I think it was wrong not to have nipped them in the bud.
We suffer the consequences now.
By the way today is Pillaiyaar Chadhurthi. Hope you guys celeberate it and have lots of kozhakkattai!
Regards,
Kamakshi

Dear Kamakshi:
You are STILL my little sister (or niece). However, I will let other learned members tell me if I jumped the gun, after they read your posting! Remember, writing is not the same as conversation; in conversations, one could sense the other's words by way of his diction, pitch or intonation and other gesticulation whereas in written communication, one can take it anyway they want!
For your information, I am Iyergar!!

I too am distrustful of political parties. Since they are there to get elected and govern the nation, my choice would be to vote for those who would defend Hindus irrespective of their party affiliation. You cannot despise everyone and not do anything. That wouldn't make sense. I disagree with Hariharan1972 on the Babri Masjid issue. But then he have a right to his views and I have to mine.

Are Tamil Brahmins generally self-defeating while others advance their causes forcefully? My one observation is that every Tamil Brahmin is a leader unto himself and sometimes he doesn't even follow himself of what he says! Porathyaanukku vaadhyaan!

Friends,

These are the facts, as much as I can gather.

1. This was a political blunder on UPA's part, trying to say that Sri Ram never existed, as there is no archeological proof. They did not stop at saying that there is no 'scientific' proof of Sri Rama's existence (which is true), but extrapolated from there to say that Sri Rama never existed. They can not definitely say that Sri Rama ever existed, just because they have not found yet anything to prove His existence. This is the issue, and by saying so their pseudo-secularism is exposed and they have to be held accountable.

2. They have suspended two ASI employees - this is again a tragedy for the families of these brown nosing bureaucrats. Congress, both the PM and the Lady should shoulder the accountability and the Government should resign.

3. If the majority of Hindus want the bridge to be not disturbed, despite the obvious economic advantage of deredging a canal, then the Government should listen and cancel the project. But at the same time, I would hope that a Uniform Code of what can be considered as the National Heritage monuments to be drawn up after consulting with all religious sectors so that in the future such a controversy will not happen.

4. The problem here is that it seems that the UPA Government went ahead boldly with the support of DMK, not listening to certain valid voices based on faith from the Hindu quarters. This was not correct.

5. As usual everyone who is not UPA is claiming victory on this (including some political otfits I have never heard of). Funny business.

Pranams,
KRS

Dear Sri Silverfox Ji,
One of my most favourite passages in any scripture is the First verse of the slim 'Tao Te Ching'. I am reminded of this passage whenever differentiations based on Forms created by human beings appear:

" The Tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao.
The name that can be named is not the eternal name.
The nameless is the beginning of heaven and earth.
The named is the mother of ten thousand things.
Ever desireless, one can see the mystery.
Ever desiring, one sees the manifestations.
These two spring from the same source but differ in name; this appears as darkness.
Darkness within darkness.
The gate to all mystery".

In my opinion, this is more elegant than some of the statements made by some of our own seers. As the Australians say, "Cheers".

Pranams,
KRS

Dear Kamakshi:
You are STILL my little sister (or niece). However, I will let other learned members tell me if I jumped the gun, after they read your posting! Remember, writing is not the same as conversation; in conversations, one could sense the other's words by way of his diction, pitch or intonation and other gesticulation whereas in written communication, one can take it anyway they want!
For your information, I am Iyergar!!

I think you have a bias against Hindu heritage.
What is Heritage?

1. practices that are handed down from the past by tradition; "a heritage of freedom"

2. any attribute or immaterial possession that is inherited from ancestors; "my only inheritance was my mother's blessing"; "the world's heritage of knowledge"

What is our Heritage?

1. The greatest Heritage which will bring peace in the world:

Acceptance of all religions. Not tolerance.

2. Vedas - The Oral tradition - When I posted out about the real danger of losing this very few were bothered. Why? Because everyone tends to react to only rabble rousing.

A bunch of stones do not become a Heritage because of Mythological reasons.

Have you ever asked yourself the question why when University of Rochester was running a course on Sri Vidya none of the Indian Universities even thought of it. None of your leaders have even heard of Sri Vidya. All that they can think of is Astrology.

Do you know that your chameleon Swamijis whom you revere as Hindu leaders represent themselves as non-Hindu in U.S? They are Hindus in India, but yogis, Universal religionists and what not in U.S. Anything except Hindu.

One of the people quoted in many Hindu circles has been running a campaign for many years for a separate religion called Vedism.

Last edited:
Sorry, Kamakshi!

Ok Kamakshi, this will be the last posting on this from me!
First of all, after I went to bed and when I came back to read mail this morning, I realized that maybe I used an inappropriate word "racist-remarks"; my apologies.
However, even in this posting, you continue to insinuate certain sectarian stuff ... "Iyengar to Iyengar affinity (It is prevalent if you like it or not)".

And, regarding your statements ...
..... people celeberate pandigais according to the traditions handed down in their families. So there would still be differences the way each sect celeberate and enjoy life. Why not let them be who they are? Is this not what Hinduism stands for?......
What made you think I was against all you have said? I agree whole-heartedly with you on our diversity but it is completely irrelevant to what I was talking about.
Maybe I am not comprehending your way of writing.
Anyway, today is Vinayaka Chaturti in the Eastern USA and I am going to my friend's place for worship and celebration! Happy Vinayaka Chaturti!

Dear Silverfox,

I thought I read somewhere in this forum that you are an Iyengar and I may be wrong about it. My apologies. Secondly I am not a sectarian and my husband and I have advocated that Brahmins should marry Brahmins regardless of the subcastes. Thirdly I did not imply that Rajaji being an Iyengar was encouraging the breaking of Pillaiyars. As I have said his decision not to resist the breaking is a mistake I was guarding against Iyengar to Iyengar affinity (It is prevalent if you like it or not). Fourthly you are terribly smart in insinuating that I am a racist Iyer. Thanks for the compliments! Fifthy what is the hurry to do it? Just ask for clarification. Sixthly I am not for any compartmentalization yet I recongnize that people celeberate pandigais according to the traditions handed down in their families. So there would still be differences the way each sect celeberate and enjoy life. Why not let them be who they are? Is this not what Hinduism stands for?

Seriously we need tolerance in this forum while arguing. Racism etc. Hmm?!

Dear Siverfox,

I know instinctively that you are a good man and like all men have ups and downs. I don't mind what you write to take them off your chest. They do become bygones.

Hope besides having a sumptuous meal at Vinayaka Chathurthi you would pray "Sarve Jana Sukhino bhavanthu'.

Regards,

Thanks, Kamakshi!

Dear Kamakshi: (evey time I type your name, Goddess Kamakshi comes to mind and so I am blessed!)

Thank you! I realized that you probably were paraphrasing things in a different way. Thanks to Praveen; he said:

Maybe we need a statement saying, that things are said only in the "debatable sense" and not to personally against anyone or any sect!

Take care

A small aside. I have seen Vigneswara in many Perumal temples. When I asked one of my Iyengar friends he told me he is Thumbikkai Alwar. Rose by any name ...

Last edited:
Is that all the participation from members of this forum on a subject that is heating up the country? Except for me there is one other. I don't know if members have any core identity apart from 'lucky to have made out' and 'need more opportunities' or 'hey don't call me paappaan' etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back