• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Quo Vadis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yes, somewhat disturbing. He is asking for a bribe (non cash type). He should be arrested under anticorruption act and jailed. If he had simply proposed to her without offering a 'reward' then I am not sure how to call it.

CLN,

Not disturbed. Surprised to the extent, that it took so long to get such things in public.

Who knows how many such cases have gone unreported. Nowadays, with colleges issueing their own degrees, like in Chennai, Loyola, viveka etc, the teacher has a iron grip over the student’s future.

In my days, we wrote board exams, and we only had a number to identify us. So we did not know who corrected our papers, and vice versa.

Today the temptation is very high. On both sides. A student could approach a teacher, and offer favours, in return for marks. Is that too not possible.

Afaik, one has to be extra careful in countries like usa or Canada, where the threat of sexual harassment looms high. For a male teacher, is easily open to an allegation, and his name is ruined, as most often, the society here judges him guilty till proven innocent. Even after that, the stigma remains, and we have had media reports of such ruined lives and the breakups to households as a result.

If I were a male teacher, I would leave my door open for any interview with any student. Or if there is even a suspected gut feeling of shenanigans, I would record the entire conversation. Just for protection

paranoid? maybe. but the alternates and the consequences thereof, are frightening to imagine.

kunjuppu: If I were a male teacher, I would leave my door open for any interview with any student. Or if there is even a suspected gut feeling of shenanigans, I would record the entire conversation. Just for protection

This indeed is the irony! In the West where permissiveness is much more than in India (still!) it is the 'male' offender who is under greater threat than a 'female' offender in similar situations. But in India, the woman is still the greater looser. Perhaps, this is the single major factor which often dampens the initial ire and agitation of the female victim (i.e., if she is the real victim and not the other way round!)

Yes, somewhat disturbing. He is asking for a bribe (non cash type). He should be arrested under anticorruption act and jailed. If he had simply proposed to her without offering a 'reward' then I am not sure how to call it.

The question of 'proposing' to the girl is not applicable at all in this case because he seems to have done the same sort of thing with several other girls too, as revealed by himself through his SMSs! Was he 'proposing' to every girl with some 'honorable' intention?

This indeed is the irony! In the West where permissiveness is much more than in India (still!) it is the 'male' offender who is under greater threat than a 'female' offender in similar situations. But in India, the woman is still the greater looser. Perhaps, this is the single major factor which often dampens the initial ire and agitation of the female victim (i.e., if she is the real victim and not the other way round!)

very true.

scholar and gentleman, you are CLN !!

even in the west, sometimes, women have a rough time, trying to prove sexual assaults. the lawyer's interrogation can be crude and demeaning, and that alone, is enough for many scoundrels to get away scott free. :(

The question of 'proposing' to the girl is not applicable at all in this case because he seems to have done the same sort of thing with several other girls too, as revealed by himself through his SMSs! Was he 'proposing' to every girl with some 'honorable' intention?
Dear CLN sir, you are absolutely 100% correct. The relationship between teacher and student is an unequal one. Even if his intentions were honorable, which was so obviously not in this case, his course of action must be to wait until the girl graduated and a sort of balance in position is established.

Another important point is the girl is only 17, underage, one who cannot legally give consent.

Cheers!

This is a shocker. These things are becoming much too common these days. Earlier we used to get report of such incidents from rural villages. But from a city like Mumbai is a real schoker.

I Agree to Dr. Barani. He should be arrested for asking for Bribe in kind.

hi
this is general thing...many times unnoticed....many years back i heard a story abt a professor in delhi university....he used harasment

the girl students....in ph.d the supervisor is god...so many male supervisors take advantage of ph.d girl students....its very common

practise in many indian universities......but never come to media coverage...

regards
tbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back