• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

QuickRef: Hindu scriptural quotes on guru

Status
Not open for further replies.

saidevo

shvetAshvatara upaniShad 6.23

यस्य देवे पराभक्तिर् यथादेवे गुरौ ।
तस्यैते कथिताह्यार्थाः प्रकाशन्ते महात्मनः ॥

yasya deve parAbhaktir yathAdeve gurau |
tasyaite kathitA-hyArthAH prakAshante mahAtmanaH ||

To him who has devotion to God, and an equal amount of devotion to Guru,
to that great soul, the truths taught in the UpaniShads shine by themselves.

guru gItA

This text 'guru gitA' talks about guru-mahiman--the greatness of guru. It is in the form of UmA-Maheshvara saMvAda--dialogue between goddess UmA and her husband Shiva, in three chapters, and occurs in the uttara-khaNDam in the brahma-saMhitA of skanda-purANam.

गुकारश्चान्धकारोहि रुकारस्तेज उच्यते ।
अज्ञानग्रासकं ब्रह्म गुरुरेव न संशयः ॥ १.३२ ॥

gukArashchAndhakArohi rukArasteja uchyate |
aj~jAnagrAsakaM brahma gurureva na saMshayaH || 1.32 ||

1.32. It is said that the syllable 'gu' denotes darkness, and the syllable 'ru', light.
There is no doubt that guru is only the brahmam that consumes ignorance.

गुकारश्चान्धकारस्तु रुकारस्तान्निरोधकृत् ।
अन्धकारविनाशित्वाद् गुरुरित्यभिधीयते ॥ ३३ ॥

gukArashchAndhakArastu rukArastAnnirodhakRut |
andhakAravinAshitvAd gururityabhidhIyate || 1.33 ||

1.33. The syllable 'gu' denotes darkness; 'ru' is what removes it.
Since guru removes darkness, that name was forumulated form him.

गुकारश्चान्धकारस्तु रुकारस्तान्निरोधकृत् ।
अन्धकारविनाशित्वाद् गुरुरित्यभिधीयते ॥ १.३३ ॥

gukArashcha guNAtIto rUpAtIto rukAraka: |
guNarUpa-vihInatvAd gururityabhidhIyate || 1.34 ||

1.34. The syllable 'gu' transcends attributes; the syllable 'ru' transcends form.
Since he is free from attributes and form, that name was forumulated form him.

गुकारः प्रथमो वर्णो मायादिगुण-भासकः ।
रुकारोऽस्ति परं ब्रह्म माया-भ्रान्ति-विमोचकम् ॥ १.३५ ॥

gukAraH prathamo varNo mAyAdiguNa-bhAsakaH |
rukAro&sti paraM brahma mAyA-bhrAnti-vimochakam || 1.35 ||

1.35. The first syllable 'gu' enlightens about the nature of mAyA.
The syllable 'ru' is the Parabrahmam that removes the delusion caused by mAyA.

गुरुब्रह्मा गुरुविष्णु गुरुदेवो महेश्वरः ।
गुरुरेव परं ब्रह्म तस्मै श्रीगुरुरवे नमः ॥ १.४६ ॥

gurubrahmA guruviShNu gurudevo maheshvaraH |
gurureva paraM brahma tasmai shrIgururave namaH || 1.46 ||

1.46 Only guru is BrahmA, guru is ViShNu and guru himself is Maheshvara, lord of Devas.
Guru himself is Parabhramam; to that guru, my prostrations.

निमिषार्धार्ध पादाद्वा यद्वाक्याद्वै विलोक्यते ।
स्वात्मानं स्थिरमाधते तस्मै श्रीगुरुरवे नमः ॥ १.५१ ॥

nimiShArdhArdha pAdAdvA yadvAkyAdvai vilokyate |
svAtmAnaM sthiramAdhate tasmai shrIgururave namaH || 1.51 ||

1.51 By whose speech, for half a minute, or a half or even a quarter of that time the Atman--Self, is seen and it becomes an established experience, to that guru, my prostrations.

त्वं पिता त्वं च मे माता बन्धुस्त्वं च देवता ।
संसारभीति-भंगाय तस्मै श्रीगुरुरवे नमः ॥ १.५४ ॥

tvaM pitA tvaM cha me mAtA bandhustvaM cha devatA |
saMsArabhIti-bhaMgAya tasmai shrIgururave namaH || 1.54 ||

1.54 You are my father, you are my mother, my relatives, and my God.
One who removes the dread of transmigration, to that guru, my prostrations.

अनेकजन्म-संप्राप्त-कर्मबन्ध-विदाहिने ।
ज्ञानानल-प्रभावेन तस्मै श्रीगुरुरवे नमः ॥ १.६३ ॥

anekajanma-saMprApta-karmabandha-vidAhine |
j~jAnAnala-prabhAvena tasmai shrIgururave namaH || 1.63 ||

1.63 The ties of karma accrued over many births,
one who by the power of his jnAnam--knowledge, burns, to that guru, my prostrations.

न गुरोधिकं तत्त्वं न गुरोधिकं तपः ।
न गुरोधिकं ज्ञानं तस्मै श्रीगुरुरवे नमः ॥ १.६५ ॥

na gurodhikaM tattvaM na gurodhikaM tapaH |
na gurodhikaM j~jAnaM tasmai shrIgururave namaH || 1.65 ||

1.65 There is no truer principle than the guru; no greater penance than the guru;
and no jnAnam--knowledge, loftier than the guru; to that guru, my prostrations.

तापत्रयाग्नितप्ताना-मशान्त-प्राणिनाम्-उमे ।
गुरुरेव परा जङ्गा तस्मै श्रीगुरुरवे नमः ॥ १.७१ ॥

tApatrayAgnitaptAnA-mashAnta-prANinAm-ume |
gurureva parA ja~ggA tasmai shrIgururave namaH || 1.71 ||

1.71 Hey UmA! For the restless souls burned by the three kinds of suffering*,
only the guru is the best form of GangA, to that guru, my prostrations.

[The three kinds of suffering are: AdhyAtmika--proceeding from bodily and mental causes, Adhidaivika--proceeding from the influence of atmosphere, planets and other divine agencies, and Adhibhautika--material.]

ध्यानमूलं गुरो-मूर्तिः पूजामूलम् गुरोः पदम् ।
मन्त्रमूलं गुरोवाक्यं मुक्तिमूलं गुरोः कृपा ॥ १.७४ ॥

dhyAnamUlaM guro-mUrtiH pUjAmUlam guroH padam |
mantramUlaM gurovAkyaM muktimUlaM guroH kRupA || 1.74 ||

1.74: The root of meditation is the image of guru; the root of worship is the foot of guru; the root of mantra is guru's statements; and the root of liberation is guru's grace.

शिवे रुष्टे गुरुस्त्राता गुरौ रुष्टे न कश्चन ।
लद्ध्वा कुलगुरुं सम्यक गुरुमेव समाश्रयेह् ॥ १.७६ ॥

shive ruShTe gurustrAtA gurau ruShTe na kashchana |
laddhvA kulaguruM samyaka gurumeva samAshrayeh || 1.76 ||

1.76: If one incurs Shiva's wrath, the guru will save him. If one incurs's the guru's wrath, no one can save him. One should reach one's Kulaguru--traditional guru, and seek refuge in him.

मधु-लुब्धो यथा भृंगः पुष्पात्पुष्पान्तरं व्रजेत् ।
ज्ञानालुब्धस्तथा शिष्यो गुरोर्गुर्वन्तरं व्रजेत् ॥ १.७७ ॥

madhu-lubdho yathA bhRuMgaH puShpAtpuShpAntaraM vrajet |
j~jAnAlubdhastathA shiShyo gurorgurvantaraM vrajet || 1.77 ||

1.77: Just as a honeybee that is greedy about honey wanders from flower to flower,
the disciple greedy of jnAnam--knowledge, wanders from one guru to another.

Does this mean that a disciple can seek many gurus?

No. The implication is that just as honeybee that is greedy just collects honey which is not useful to it, wandering from flower to flow, the disciple who is just greedy about collecting knowledge (without using it), wanders from one guru to another.

अत्रिनेत्रः शिवः साक्षात् द्विबाहुश्च हरिः स्मृतः ।
यो अचदुर्वदनो ब्रह्मा श्रीगुरुः कथितः प्रिये ॥

atrinetraH shivaH sAkShAt dvibAhushcha hariH smRutaH |
yo achadurvadano brahmA shrIguruH kathitaH priye || 1.80 ||

1.80: My dear! It is said that the guru is a Shiva without the three eyes, a Hari with the two hands and a BrahmA without the four faces.

साष्टांगप्रणिपातेन ततो नित्यं गुरु भजेत् ।
भजनात्-स्थैर्य-माप्नोति स्व-स्वरूपमयो भवेत् ॥ १.८५ ॥

sAShTAMgapraNipAtena tato nityaM guru bhajet |
bhajanAt-sthairya-mApnoti sva-svarUpamayo bhavet || 1.85 ||

1.85: Guru should be worshipped daily with a prostration touching eight limbs.*
By such worship, the disciple will obtain firmness of will and attain svarUpa-sAkShAtkAram--experience of Self-realization.

Note:
sAShTAngga-namaskAram or sAShTAngga-praNAmam is explained in the verse 1.86 as:

reverential prostration of the body so as to touch the ground with the shoulders, breast, forehead, knees and feet, with humility in their eyes, mind and words. This is recommended only for males.

For females, only panchAngga-namaskAram, kneeling and her palms joined together, and her forehead touching the ground. Women don't do sAShTAngga-namaskAram because scriptures have an injunction that her breasts and womb should not touch the ground.

[FONT=&quot]I saw this post only now. Thanks to the recent poster for that. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]There are several errors in the post by Shri Saidevo. I am giving the corrections for the benefit of the members who might have copied it for their record/recitation. It is not to show off my little knowledge of Sanskrit or due to my bulging ego; when we say that even one wrong “swara” in reciting the veda is an unpardonable sin, is it not necessary or appropriate that we attach equal importance to the stotras and mantras also? My attempt to correct is only because of this eagerness.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]If a school teacher instructs our child with lot of grammar mistakes or other errors, will we condone the teacher simply because he is sincere and devoted to his job? Someone rebuffed me earlier, stating that it is only bhakti which counts for the Lord, not the correctness of the prayer; but then why depend on some prayer at all? Each one can say whatever he/she wants and still be content, is it not? The very fact that we all seek out particular mantras, songs, slokas etc., shows that these have some special role in the bhakti. If so, is it not the primary duty of those who try to post such slokas, mantras, etc., to ensure that they are error-free?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I request other members who are well-versed in Sanskrit and the religious lore to verify whether the corrections suggested by me are in the right direction and guide me.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]shvetAshvatara upaniShad 6.23[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]यस्य देवे परा भक्तिर्यथा देवे तथा गुरौ[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]तस्यैते कथिताह्यर्थाः प्रकाशन्ते महात्मनः ॥[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]'yathAdeve tathA gurau'[FONT=&quot] is the correct rendering.[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]गुकारश्च गुणातीतो रूपातीतो रुकारकः ।[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]गुणरूपविहीनत्वात् गुरुरित्यभिधीयते ॥ १-३४[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The previous verse has been repeated in the Sanskrit rendering.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]गुरुर्ब्रह्मा गुरुर्विष्णुः गुरुर्देवो[FONT=&quot] महेश्वरः ।[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]गुरुरेव परम् ब्रह्म तस्मै श्री गुरवे नमः ॥ १.४६[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]‘gururbrahmA’, ‘gururvishNuH’ ‘gururdEvO’ are the correct words. Instead of ‘gururavE namaH’ at the end, it should only be ‘guravE namaH’.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]त्वम् पिता त्वम् च मे माता बन्धुस्त्वम् त्वम् च देवता ।[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]सम्सारभीतिभङ्गाय तस्मै श्रीगुरवे नमः ॥ १.५४[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In the first line instead of ‘bandhustvam ca dEvatA’ pl. read ‘bandhustvam tvam ca dEvatA’; only then the poetical meter will be complete.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]न गुरोरधिकम् तत्वम् न गुरोरधिकम् तपः ।[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]न गुरोरधिकम् ज्ञानम् तस्मै श्री गुरवे नमः ॥ १.६५[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Wherever ‘gurOdhikam’ is given pl.use “gurOradhikam”; that only gives a meaning.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]तापत्रयाग्नितप्तानाम् अशान्तप्राणिनाम् भुवि ।[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]गुरुरेव परा गंगा तस्मै श्री गुरवे नमः ॥ १.७१[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]In my copy of Gurugita, the word “bhuvi” has been used instead of ‘umE’; instead of जङ्गा ([FONT=&quot]ja~ggA[/FONT][FONT=&quot]), pl. substitute “gangA”.[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]ध्यानमूलम् गुरोर्मूर्तिः पूजामूलम् गुरॊः पदम् ।[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]मन्त्रमूलम् गुरॊर्वाक्यम् मुक्तिमूलम् गुरोः कृपा ॥ १.७४[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]‘gurO-mUrtiH’ should be replaced by “gurOr mUrtiH’’[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]‘gurO vAkyam’ should be replaced by “gurOr vAkyam”.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]शिवे रुष्टे गुरुस्त्राता गुरौ रुष्टे न कश्चन ।[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]लब्ध्वा[FONT=&quot] कुलगुरुम् सम्यग्गुरुमेव समाश्रयॆत् ॥ १.७६[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Instead of ‘laddhvA’ read ‘labdhvA’.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]‘1.77: Just as a honeybee that is greedy about honey wanders from flower to flower, the disciple greedy of jnAnam--knowledge, wanders from one guru to another.’[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The correct translation will be " Just as a honeybee that is desirous of honey wanders from flower to flower, the disciple desirous of jnAnam--knowledge, wanders from one guru to another." In Sanskrit the word -lubdha when suffixed gives the meaning desirous of, longing for, rather than 'greedy of '[FONT=&quot].[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]‘Does this mean that a disciple can seek many gurus?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]No. The implication is that just as honeybee that is greedy just collects honey which is not useful to it, wandering from flower to flow, the disciple who is just greedy about collecting knowledge (without using it), wanders from one guru to another.’[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Here also the opinion given by Shri Saidevo is perhaps his. But a strict interpretation of the verse under consideration will show that it does recommend that a Sishya who is truly seeking knowledge, should/would go from one teacher (guru) to another till he is satisfied. Knowledge derived from a single guru may not satisfy, or be sufficient to quench the thirst for knowledge in some disciples. Brahman is One without a second. Yet rishis sing of it in so many ways. This idea finds expression in the following verse (Srimadbhagavatam, XI Skandham, Avadhuta addressing king Yadu):[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]nahi ekasmAt gurorjnAnam[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]susthiram syAt supushkalam[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]brahma etadadviteeyam vai[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]geeyate bahudhA rishibhiH[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]अत्रिनेत्रः शिवः साक्षात् द्विबाहुश्च हरिः स्मृतः ।[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]यो अचतुर्वदनो ब्रह्मा श्री गुरुः कतिथः प्रिये ॥[FONT=&quot] 1-80[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]चतुर्वदनो[FONT=&quot] caturvadano is the correct word, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]not चदुर्वदनो cadurvadano; ‘durvadanaH’ will mean bad, ugly, moody face.[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]साष्टाङ्ग प्रणिपातेन ततो नित्यम् गुरुम् भजॆत् ।[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]भजनात् स्थैर्यम् आप्नोति स्व स्वरूपमयो भवेत् ॥१.८५[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"[FONT=&quot]gurum bhajEt"[/FONT][FONT=&quot] instead of 'guru bhajEt'. [/FONT][/FONT]

namaste shrI sangom.

There are several errors in the post by Shri Saidevo. I am giving the corrections for the benefit of the members who might have copied it for their record/recitation. It is not to show off my little knowledge of Sanskrit or due to my bulging ego; when we say that even one wrong “swara” in reciting the veda is an unpardonable sin, is it not necessary or appropriate that we attach equal importance to the stotras and mantras also? My attempt to correct is only because of this eagerness.

You are always welcome--and have every right--to correct every mistake in my postings, specially when I have made it clear many times that I am not as Sanskrit-literate as you are; nor do I have the most original source everytime I attempt a compilation or translation. I am glad that you accept my good intention to share what I happen to know, but the fuss by way of preamble you make everytime you go about your work, is what seems unpalatable--at least to me.

If a school teacher instructs our child with lot of grammar mistakes or other errors, will we condone the teacher simply because he is sincere and devoted to his job? Someone rebuffed me earlier, stating that it is only bhakti which counts for the Lord, not the correctness of the prayer; but then why depend on some prayer at all? Each one can say whatever he/she wants and still be content, is it not? The very fact that we all seek out particular mantras, songs, slokas etc., shows that these have some special role in the bhakti. If so, is it not the primary duty of those who try to post such slokas, mantras, etc., to ensure that they are error-free?

As I have already made it clear, I never have had the intention to be a school teacher in this forum or any other that I post, and I go about my work with my best abilities to make it error free. But from what you have made out above, it seems you have that willingness and capability--so why don't you take up posting the right text and interpretations of our popular shlokas and mantras?. But just bear in mind that a school teacher who imparts his knowledge at the cost of always blaming others for their errors--instead of just correcting them--is unpopular with the students, at least with me--although I can do nothing about it, since I can't quit the 'school'.

I request other members who are well-versed in Sanskrit and the religious lore to verify whether the corrections suggested by me are in the right direction and guide me.

Since no other member has attempted to correct your corrections, I take it with respects that you are most learned Sanskrit scholar in this forum. And in this respect, I welcome your corrections.

On a lighter vein, I am reminded of the dialogue between poets Dharumi and NakkIran in the Tamizh film 'TiruviLaiyADal'.

Last edited:
namaste shrI sangom.

You are always welcome--and have every right--to correct every mistake in my postings, specially when I have made it clear many times that I am not as Sanskrit-literate as you are; nor do I have the most original source everytime I attempt a compilation or translation. I am glad that you accept my good intention to share what I happen to know, but the fuss by way of preamble you make everytime you go about your work, is what seems unpalatable--at least to me.
Shri Saidevo,

I understand your feelings. But to me it looks better to show our draft to someone who may be in a position to go through and make necessary corrections before putting up slokas, mantras, etc., for the public, because it is my personal view that it is preferable not to share erroneous or errors-ridden slokas and mantras. And I am sure you will have some friend nearby, who will be able to guide/assist you in this regard.

Anyway, I will not repeat my pov in future but try to correct errors whenever I am able to.

As I have already made it clear, I never have had the intention to be a school teacher in this forum or any other that I post, and I go about my work with my best abilities to make it error free. But from what you have made out above, it seems you have that willingness and capability--so why don't you take up posting the right text and interpretations of our popular shlokas and mantras?. But just bear in mind that a school teacher who imparts his knowledge at the cost of always blaming others for their errors--instead of just correcting them--is unpopular with the students, at least with me--although I can do nothing about it, since I can't quit the 'school'.
Since you are posting the slokas/mantras and many are learning from those posts, your action is that of a guru or teacher, and those who learn are the students, irrespective of what you consider your role to be. My lament was only to point out that any teacher has to apply stricter standards for self-scrutiny than what he would prescribe for his students. In this respect you may consider me as a layman commenting on a particular teacher.

Since I am not trying to post slokas/mantras, but only pointing out the poor quality of teaching going on here - may be "at the cost of always blaming others for their errors", you may compare my role to that of a school inspector ;) if you so like. But then students may not very much dislike a school inspector who is strict with the school authorities and teachers also.

On a lighter vein, I am reminded of the dialogue between poets Dharumi and NakkIran in the Tamizh film 'TiruviLaiyADal'.
I am not very clear as to what exactly you are alluding to. If it is Lord Siva coming to the rescue of Dharumi, I would humbly request you (though you say it is in a lighter vein) not to put yourself under the delusion that you are acting on some divine prompting and any errors are the responsibility of the Lord who prompts you. By the same argument, can I not believe that I am being prompted by the same Lord to point out the errors so that such "Dharumis" do not go on spreading slokas and mantras full of errors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back