• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Question about dhoti

Status
Not open for further replies.
praNAm
Respectable members,
I have questions, and look for proof and answer from manusmti or from some authoritative sources. Dharmaśāstra gave a numbers of rules and regulations for various strata of society, I mean society based on the principles of varāśrama, and I suppose that dharmaśāstra order even a certain look for every vara like for example shikha for a brāhmaa, please understand in right manner, I don’t mean that shikha is something like a adornment which going together well with tilaka:)) So, my question is I’m European and I was born out of any vara and I hadn’t any kind of Samskāra. I can not wearing shikha but what about dhoti? Any injunction in dharmaśāstra for people who aren’t born in varāśrama?

Last edited:
praNAm
Respectable members,
I have questions, and look for proof and answer from manusmti or from some authoritative sources. Dharmaśāstra gave a numbers of rules and regulations for various strata of society, I mean society based on the principles of varāśrama, and I suppose that dharmaśāstra order even a certain look for every vara like for example shikha for a brāhmaa, please understand in right manner, I don’t mean that shikha is something like a adornment which going together well with tilaka:)) So, my question is I’m European and I was born out of any vara and I hadn’t any kind of Samskāra. I can not wearing shikha but what about dhoti? Any injunction in dharmaśāstra for people who aren’t born in varāśrama?
Dear Vamana,

As far as I know, the manusmriti or the grihya sutras (which lay down the duties of a householder) does not prescribe anything more than a pair of garments, one upper and another lower. The upper garment is to be worn over the left shoulder (somewhat like a Toga). There are no prescriptions for people outside the varna system.

Dear Sangom,
Thank you for your answer.
the grihya sutras (which lay down the duties of a householder) does not prescribe anything more than a pair of garments, one upper and another lower
Does this rules regard only brāhmaa or any child who has got pūūl ?
There are no prescriptions for people outside the varna system.
Would you so kind to express your opinion about it, how we should treat this *no prescriptions* like a permission or like a prohibition?
Thank you

The authors of Dharma Sashthraas:-

Manu, Brahaspathi, Daksha, Gowthama, Yama, Aangeeras, Yagnavalkya. Prachethas ,
Saaathaathapa, Samvartha, Shukra, Sankara, Likitha, Athri , Vishnu , Aapasthambha and
Haaritha are the 18 sages who are called as the authors of Smrithis.

Bodaayanam , Aapasthambham , Sathyaashaadam, Drahyayanam , Aagasthyam,
Sakkalyam, Aswalaayanam , Saambhaveeyam , and Kathyayanam are the nine poorva
suthraas.

Vaikaanasam , Sounakeeyam , Bharadwajam , Aagnivesyam , Jaimineeyam ,
Maadhunyam , Madhyandhinam , Koundinyam and Kousheethakam are the nine Uthara
Sukthas. Thus there are 18 Sukthaas.

dear vamana,

as far as i know, the manusmriti or the grihya sutras (which lay down the duties of a householder) does not prescribe anything more than
PHP:
a pair of garments, one upper and another lower. The upper garment is to be worn over the left shoulder (somewhat like a toga).
there are no prescriptions for people outside the varna system.

dear sangom ji
just to know about the link between the use of garments in brahmins and those going to haj in meca.
One can see the similarities in that.they also use same as that of mundu and yogavasthram.
If you know pl give some input.
Ananth

dear sangom ji
just to know about the link between the use of garments in brahmins and those going to haj in meca.
One can see the similarities in that.they also use same as that of mundu and yogavasthram.
If you know pl give some input.
Ananth
Dear Ananthanarayanan,

I have read, can't cite references now since a lot of time has passed, that the present day Arabia also had religion similar to Hinduism in olden days, that the holy Mecca was a shrine of Siva, the priestly families who were holding the right to perform austerities or poojas(as we say) there, were called "Siva" which later on got morphed to "Shia", that Prophet Mohammad belonged to this Shia group, etc. It is reported in some places that even now there is a Sivalingam on a very solid base or frame which is kept in a secret place by the side of the kaaba stone and that actually the perambulations (actually, they do "apradakshina" I think) are in fact for this sivalinga also. The chanting of the Holy Quran at the holy site is also different in tune from what we usually hear here. It is said that our raga "sindhubhairavi" (I hope my memory is correct) emanates from the raga of recitation of the Holy Quran in Mecca and Arabia. Hence the special dress prescribed for the pilgrimage could also be from their ancient customs.

Last edited:
Dear Ananthanarayanan,

I have read, can't cite references now since a lot of time has passed, that the present day Arabia also had religion similar to Hinduism in olden days, that the holy Mecca was a shrine of Siva, the priestly families who were holding the right to perform austerities or poojas(as we say) there, were called "Siva" which later on got morphed to "Shia", that Prophet Mohammad belonged to this Shia group, etc. It is reported in some places that even now there is a Sivalingam on a very solid base or frame which is kept in a secret place by the side of the kaaba stone and that actually the perambulations (actually, they do "apradakshina" I think) are in fact for this sivalinga also. The chanting of the Holy Quran at the holy site is also different in tune from what we usually hear here. It is said that our raga "sindhubhairavi" (I hope my memory is correct) emanates from the raga of recitation of the Holy Quran in Mecca and Arabia. Hence the special dress prescribed for the pilgrimage could also be from their ancient customs.
dear sogam sir,
thanks for the reply.
i too heard some thing like that only. one srdar gone in side and seen the linga etc . but how far it is true don`t know.all hear say.

Dhoti or no Dhoti

If somewhere it is prescribed it is based on the availability at the prevalent time. When civilization progressed human started wearing something so as not to offend the other pretenders. Doff all your false coverings and surrender to Him in (naked) truth. Peel off the cloak and rip open your soul.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back