• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Q & A with CM Jayalalitha: A Sample

Status
Not open for further replies.
Folks, here is a small part of the interaction between the CM and the Press people yesterday, as per The Hindu, (thehindu.com).

Is this question necessary? And is there a need for the CM to answer like this?:

"Q: You were not wearing any jewellery for a long time. Any reason why you have started wearing ear-studs now?

A: I was wondering why no one asked me about this. Since 1997, I have not worn any jewellery or ornaments. This decision, however, did not go down well with my party workers. Over the last few years, whenever they met me, my party cadre have been telling me, “We are very unhappy when we see you like this. You must change your decision and wear some jewellery.” They told me that just because some had pointed fingers at me in the past I shouldn’t be like this. They have been pressing me to give up my objection to wearing any ornaments, saying, “Karunanidhi and his family members, who have maligned you in the past, are themselves facing charges and legal proceedings. Why should you be like this just because someone had pointed fingers at you?” However, I didn’t heed their request. As soon as the results were declared on May 13, a large number of party workers gathered at my house to celebrate our victory. Some of them said that if even after this resounding victory I refused to wear any ornaments, they would pour kerosene on themselves and commit self-immolation. My party cadre tend to carry out such threats. Many have attempted self-immolation for various reasons in the past and we have been unable to save their lives. So, I was taken aback by their threat. As I didn’t want any untoward incident at a time when there was every reason to celebrate, I changed my mind and started wearing ear studs. If I had to wear some jewellery to save the lives of my party cadre, I was ready to change my mind and I began to wear ear studs from 14th. Already, some have cut off their own tongue and finger in the name of making an offering. These things cause me great distress. When I heard that a woman had cut off her tongue as a votive offering, I had her admitted to Theni hospital for first aid and later she was shifted to Madurai. And then she was brought to Chennai for treatment at Apollo Hospitals. She has undergone a surgery and she is now able to talk a little and doctors say she will soon regain her speech fully. Some newspapers have also made some comments on this, saying the Chief Minister is rewarding the woman who cut off her own tongue with a government job and that this amounts to encouraging such acts. It’s not like that. I didn’t expect that somebody would do such an act. As soon as I heard that it had happened, I rendered whatever assistance I could on humanitarian grounds. I enquired about her condition. Her husband has deserted her and she has two children. She has no income, and I thought the mother has to be saved for the sake of her children’s sustenance. This was why she was given a government job, and not because I wanted to reward or encourage her."

Please chime in....

Cheers.

Jayalalitha Jai Ho! I have heard/seen a few interviews of her in the past. And was quite impressed by her keen thinking, her ability to express herself in English and her obvious educational background. I was equally shocked later to hear all the allegations of corruption and high-handedness.

Why can't a person with all the right education resist the negative possibilities of power? Don't they look at themselves in the mirror? Didn't their parents teach them the difference between right and wrong?

Jayalalitha Jai Ho! I have heard/seen a few interviews of her in the past. And was quite impressed by her keen thinking, her ability to express herself in English and her obvious educational background. I was equally shocked later to hear all the allegations of corruption and high-handedness.

Why can't a person with all the right education resist the negative possibilities of power? Don't they look at themselves in the mirror? Didn't their parents teach them the difference between right and wrong?

Shri Biswa sir,

Today a politician cannot be honest if he/she has to stand for the next election. Perhaps you may agree, perhaps not. Hence it becomes compulsory for them to make money on the sides. This is the price we pay for imitating the pompous democracies of the West.

So when every one of the politician is one-eyed, why should we find fault with X or Y amongst them? Jayalalitha is a brahmin, after all, and it is our duty to support her against MK. We can improve our brahmin community only through such solidarity.

sarma,

the worst reason to support someone, is because they belong to your community.

in this case, J, i think does not go about proudly wearing the brahmin hat.

on top of that, topics that tambrams would like to get revised like reservations in education and jobs, is a NO NO for any politician.

at the best, tambrams can expect a benevolent neutrality.

a good administrator, no matter, who he or she is, is to be welcomed. admin wise both MK & J are good. tamil nadu is blessed with that.

let us not be jingoistic and proclaim J as a tambram leader. it may backfire.

sarma,

the worst reason to support someone, is because they belong to your community.

let us not be jingoistic and proclaim J as a tambram leader. it may backfire.

Shri Kunjuppu sir,

I don't understand how or why it should backfire? Will you kindly explain?

Ok since I don't have much skin in the game in TN, let me draw some parallels to the US. Supporting Ms J since she is a B is just like saying I support Obama because I am Black. Or saying I want to bring down Obama because I myself am white. So what should an Indian like myself do as my skin color does not match anybody's?

The right answer clearly is I will support the best person for the job, black or white, Brahmin or non-Brahmin. It so happens that Mr. O is better than his predecessor in my opinion so he gets my vote.

Similarly in India will you say that I will not vote for Dr. M. Singh since he is not a Hindu? Do we expect him to discriminate against Hindus?

I do agree with you though that all politicians regardless of race or caste have a strong temptation to be corrupt and many have succumbed to that. That's the real shame!

Ok since I don't have much skin in the game in TN, let me draw some parallels to the US. Supporting Ms J since she is a B is just like saying I support Obama because I am Black. Or saying I want to bring down Obama because I myself am white. So what should an Indian like myself do as my skin color does not match anybody's?

The right answer clearly is I will support the best person for the job, black or white, Brahmin or non-Brahmin. It so happens that Mr. O is better than his predecessor in my opinion so he gets my vote.

Similarly in India will you say that I will not vote for Dr. M. Singh since he is not a Hindu? Do we expect him to discriminate against Hindus?

I do agree with you though that all politicians regardless of race or caste have a strong temptation to be corrupt and many have succumbed to that. That's the real shame!

Shri Biswa sir,

I did not write about voting; only supporting J against MK, now that she has won the elections and has become the CM. Voting is one's individual right and I will not like to say anything about whom one should vote for. But if I were to, I would have voted for J, but not necessarily her party's candidate, unless I was satisfied with that candidate. No party feelings for me.

Here's my take on this Q & A:

1. The Reporter need not have asked this question... what the CM wears - whether she wears ear studs or not, what color saree she wears etc etc - is her personal issue, of which Reporters need not ask questions at the Q & A.

Reporters must ask about the fiscal condition of the State; what's the revenue situation and whether the State can afford to spend 10000s of crores of rupees on "freebies" that she offered in her political manifesto, about which, five years ago, she criticized MK!

(Gov Speech did not mention a word about the Budget and Fiscal Situations of the State, a very strange thing, IMO)

2. CM need not have given such a long bizarre narration as the answer - how one lady cut her tongue because CM was not wearing ear studs! Her husband deserted her and children (before or after cutting the tongue?!!) etc. and how she landed a Govt job so on.....

CM's answer was more bizarre than the question called for, IMO...

3. Supporting CM Jaya solely on the basis of '"her being the Brahmin" is the worst type of political pandering... IMO.

She is a card carrying member of the Tamil Nationalism & Dravidian Movement, which most people know, instinctively, is NOT pro-Brahmin; she is a devotee of MGR, CN Annadurai, who cut their teeth under the tutelage of EV Ramasamy Naicker, the firebrand anti-Brahmin in South India!

What a world of pathetic pandering!

1. The Reporter need not have asked this question... what the CM wears - whether she wears ear studs or not, what color saree she wears etc etc - is her personal issue, of which Reporters need not ask questions at the Q & A.

Reporters must ask about the fiscal condition of the State; what's the revenue situation and whether the State can afford to spend 10000s of crores of rupees on "freebies" that she offered in her political manifesto, about which, five years ago, she criticized MK!

(Gov Speech did not mention a word about the Budget and Fiscal Situations of the State, a very strange thing, IMO)

2. CM need not have given such a long bizarre narration as the answer - how one lady cut her tongue because CM was not wearing ear studs! Her husband deserted her and children (before or after cutting the tongue?!!) etc. and how she landed a Govt job so on.....

3. Supporting CM Jaya solely on the basis of '"her being the Brahmin" is the worst type of political pandering... IMO.

She is a card carrying member of the Tamil Nationalism & Dravidian Movement, which most people know, instinctively, is NOT pro-Brahmin; she is a devotee of MGR, CN Annadurai, who cut their teeth under the tutelage of EV Ramasamy Naicker, the firebrand anti-Brahmin in South India!

Shri Yamaka sir,

"Pandering" goes on everywhere. It is very common in the precincts of power. J may be a product of DK/DMK; but in politics, that too in a poor country like India many things are possible for politically shrewd leaders.

I totally agree with this point well said

We only hope that clarity in thinking is always in the right direction for the benefit of the people who voted her to power

Why people of TN voted for CM J Jaya?

1. Widespread price increase for food and other essentials.
2. Widespread power cut in most places in TN
3. Widespread notion that then CM MK was running his DMK as his Family Business
4. MK did not explain about the Mega Scandal 2G and what part A. Raja played.

Therefore, the votes were AGAINST M. Karunanidhi, and not necessarily FOR CM J Jaya, IMO.

For, J Jaya has many criminal cases pending against her in courts on bribery, graft and abuse of power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back