• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Puthandu on 13th April or on 14th April in 2012?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Forum Members,

I’m confused with Tamil New Year date. Is it on 13[SUP]th[/SUP] April or on 14[SUP]th[/SUP] April in 2012?
Chithirai Sankramanam will occur on 13[SUP]th[/SUP] April at 19:22 for all Indian cities (using Lahiri Ayanamsa). Sankramanam moment would occur after Sunset and various sources mention that if Sankramanam occurs after Sunset then Tamil month starts on next day. According to mentioned rule Puthandu or Tamil New Year should be observed on 14[SUP]th[/SUP] April.

I have noticed that few most popular Tamil almanac available in Chennai have published Puthandu on 13[SUP]th[/SUP] April. It could be due to two reasons –
1. If Sankramanam moment is calculated by old methods it might not be exact and differs by few hours. It might happen that local almanac makers have used old methods which gives Sankramanam moment before sunset.
2. The rule I mentioned is incorrect and Tamil month starts on the same day as Sankramanam.

Please let me know which date is correct to observe Puthandu.

Thanks, Sharad

On 13th. April 2012, Sun enters Aries before sunset even for Kanyakumari. Hence the new year starts on 13th. itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back